BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 57B dtd 15 May 1999 (edited)
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:37:41 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 57B
(issued biweekly by
May 15, 1999
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains a list of Austrian
and Hungarian rulers of the Burgenland, articles on the Distribution of the
Family Name-Klemens, an Oberpullendorf Art Question and Family Name Mhl.

BURGENLAND HISTORY-THE RULERS
As we explore the background of our Burgenland families, we find many
references to both Austrian and Hungarian rulers. It can become confusing.
The following short list might be of value. I tried to include the major
event which took place in each reign. As one member said "Thanks for the
History lesson, I never paid any attention while in school!" You can also see
the source of many Burgenland given names (many children were named for
rulers and/or saints).

THE AUSTRIAN HABSBURG and HABSBURG-LORRAINE RULERS
(mostly taken from Robert A. Kann's "A History of the Habsburg Empire
1526-1918", Univ. of Calif. Press, 1974. A simultaneous reign as King of
Hungary, Bohemia, Croatia, Emperor, etc. may differ as to dates). While the
line of "Austrian" rulers really begins with Leopold I, Margrave of the
Ostmark, 976-994 AD, the period from there to 1437 has been left vacant due
to the numerous changes in "Austrian" political structure which had no effect
on the Burgenland. The Austrian involvement with the Burgenland of today
really starts in 1526.

Albrecht II 1437-1439
Friedrich II 1440-1493
Maximilian I 1493-1519
Charles V1519-1556-first siege of Vienna 1529
Ferdinand I1556-1564-also King of Bohemia, Croatia,
Hungary
Maximilian II1564-1576-major concessions to Protestants
Rudolf II1576-1612-beginning of Counter
Reformation-Turkish War
Matthias I1612-1619-30 Years War begins (1618)
Ferdinand II1619-1637
Ferdinand III1637-1657-Esterhazys gain Herrschaft of northern
Burgenland
Leopold I1658-1705-second siege of Vienna
Joseph I1705-1711-War of the Spanish Succession
Charles VI1711-1740-Pragmatic Sanction
Maria Theresa1740-1780 -Empress Consort, 1745, married to:
Stephan of Lorraine1745-1765-Seven Years' war
Joseph II1765-1790-Toleration Patent (Protestants
allowed churches)
Leopold II1790-1792
Francis I1792-1835-War with France-Congress of Vienna
Ferdinand I1835-1848-Hungarian Revolution
Francis Joseph1848-1916-Peasants freed, ethnic strife, WWI
Charles I1916-1918-Empire disolved, monarchy abolished.

KINGS OF HUNGARY (Excludes Austrian kings starting with Ferdinand I,
1526-1564)

Arpad (chieftain) 875-907 (AD)-Magyar
tribes arrive
Geza (duke) 972-997
Stephen I (Saint Stephen, Istvan)997-1038-Apostolic King (papal crown)
Peter Orseolo1038-1041-early
German colonists arrive
Aba Samuel1041-1044-Counts of
Gssing established
Peter Orseolo1044-1046
Andrew I 1046-1060
Bela I 1060-1063
Salomon 1063-1074
Geza I 1074-1077
Ladislaus I (Saint Laszlo)1077-1095-the Regal Knight
Salomon (Coleman Beauclerc)1095-1116-the Book Lover-political
reforms
Stephen II (abdicated)1116-1131
Bela II 1131-1141
Geza II 1141-1161
Stephen III (the Lightning)1161-1162
Ladislaus II 1162-1163
Stephen IV 1163-1165
Stephen III (sic) 1161-1173
Bela III
1173-1196-"Gesta Hungarorum" written
Emeric 1196-1204
Ladislaus III 1204-1205
Andrew II (Endre)1205-1235-political
reforms, "Golden Bull"
Bela IV 1235-1270-Mongol
Invasion
Stephen V 1270-1272
Ladislaus IV1272-1290
Andrew III 1290-1301-House
of Arpad ends
Wenceslaus Wenzel of Bohemia1301-1305
Otto of Bavaria 1305-1307
Charles I 1308-1342
Louis the Great 1342-1382-Black Plague
Mary (Queen)1382-1387
Sigismond of Luxembourg 1387-1437-Gssing Herrschaft to von
Saro
Albert of Habsburg1437-1439-first
Turkish raids into Hungary
Elizabeth (Queen)1439-1440
Wladyslaw (Ulaszlo) Jagiello1440-1444
Janos (John) Hunyadi, Regent1446-1452- scourge of the Turks
Laszlo V (Ladislas) of Habsburg1452-1457
Matyas (Matthias Corvinus) Hunyadi1458-1490-Renaissance King
Wladyslaw II (Ulaszlo) Jagiello1490-1516-all the Balkans lost to
Turks
Lajos (Louis) II Jagiello1516-1526-died at
Battle of Mohacs
Franz Batthyany given Herrscaft of Gssing (1524). Hungary divided (1526)
between Turkey (Ottoman Empire) and Austria. Did not regain partial
independence until after 1848 Revolution, full independence following WWI
(1918). Burgenland ceded to Austria 1921.

DISTRIBUTION OF FAMILY NAMES-KLEMENS
Newsletter 56B contained an article suggesting a scan of the Austrian
telephone listings to find groupings of family names. Member Bruce Klemens
did just that with some amazing results. He writes: "I read with interest
your article on Distribution of Family Names in the last BB Newsletter. As
you may recall from a previous correspondence, the Klemensi* family migrated
from Croatia to Oslip in northern Burgenland in the mid-1500's as a result of
the Turkish invasion. My grandfather and his siblings were all born in
Oslip. The name got Germanized to Klemensich or Klemenschitz, and of course
got shortened to the present Klemens in the USA.
Anyway, a few months back I did exactly what you wrote about in your article.
I looked up all the Klemensich and Klemenschitz names in Austria through the
on-line Austrian phone directory. But I took it one step further. After
accumulating the list of addresses I downloaded a map of Austria and showed
the addresses as numbered points on the map. Well, let me tell you I nearly
fell off my chair. As you can see from the attached map, some 450 years
later, nearly all of the Klemensich and Klemenschitz names in Burgenland are
still within 10 miles of Oslip! There are a bunch in Vienna, too, but I'm
assuming they simply moved there for work. So the other day, I'm reading
your article and at the end you list web sites for various on-line phone
directories. I noticed the Hungarian site and a little light went off in my
head. WHY NOT DO THE SAME THING FOR HUNGARY? So I did. There were no
Klemensich or Klemenschitz names listed, so I did some wild card searching
such as Klem*. I found out that the Magyarized version of Klemensi* is
Klemensits or Klemencsics (Ed.-these are Croatian spellings). There are
about the same number of these names in Hungary as I had previously found in
Austria. (See attached map.) I had expected to find a bunch of names in the
Sopron area, which is just across the border from all my Oslip area names.
Sure enough, there were. The largest concentration of names was in the
Sopron area. There were also a bunch of names in Budapest. I attribute this
to exactly the same reason there were a lot of names in Vienna: they went
there looking for work. But I also found a group along the Danube between
Bratislava and Gyr, and a smaller group across the border from Gssing. I'm
not sure if this is left over from the original migration or did they move to
these places later. There's also a few miscellaneous names here and there as
well as a few on the Croatian border. I'm thinking that the names on the
border may not have been involved in the 16th migration at all, but simply
may be Croatians who moved to the other side of the border at some other
time. My second cousin Anna Odorfer in Eisenstadt told me the original
Klemensi* family supposedly came from Dalmatia. I always wondered if this was
true, which brings me to Frank Teklits' monumental and wonderful translation
about the Croatian migration to Burgenland. Frank was kind enough to send me
the sections mentioning Oslip, and sure enough, all the places of origin
mentioned are in Dalmatia. Bravo, Frank! Thought you might be interested in
this since your article inspired the Hungarian search. The map concept is
certainly worthwhile if you don't have a whole lot of names."

Ed. Comment: You write:<<I'm thinking that the names on the border may not
have been involved in the 16th migration at all, but simply may be Croatians
who moved to the other side of the border at some other time. My second
cousin Anna Odorfer in Eisenstadt told me the original Klemensi* family
supposedly came from Dalmatia.>>

Remember that there was no border between today's Burgenland & Hungary pre
1921. Burgenland was in Hungary. The Austrian border was to the west, where
the border with Lower Austria and Styria is today. Dalmatia is part of
Croatia. It is the region next to the Adriatic sea. I've been there twice,
Opatija, Split, Hvar (island), Dubrovnik. This area is Croatian having been
incorporated in the Federated Croatian Republic in 1945. Dubrovnik was a
semi-independent city until the 1800's. So your cousin isn't wrong. It's only
that she's probably implying they came from the southern, (water) side of the
mountains (Dinaric Alps), also called the "karst" as opposed to the northern
side. The next few chapters of the Teklits translation spells this out. The
Venetian Republic also included pieces of Dalmatia during Turkish times. They
used the small village ports for their war galleys-I've read of the "Hvar war
galley", etc. Look up definition of "Dalmatia" in Webster's geographic
dictionary or an encyclopedia.

ART QUESTION (from Fritz Konigshofer to new member Markus Prenner)
Dear Markus, .... I am originally from Graz.... Welcome to the Burgenland
Bunch. I was delighted to see that you are a high school teacher and work in
Oberpullendorf. I had been hoping that someone would come along whom I could
ask the following question.

When I read the microfilms of the weekly newspaper Der Volksfreund which was
published in Szombathely between about 1880 and 1916, I hit upon a remarkable
little story. The story appeared in the issue of September 5, 1891, page 5.
It stated that the bishop of Raab (= Gyr) with name Zalka had returned from
a visit to Rome, where by chance he had seen what was said to be a copy of a
painting by Raffael (in English, Raphael, 1483-1520-great Italian painter of
the Renaissance). When Zalka saw this copy, it occurred to him that it was
the identical painting as the altar-picture of the church of Oberpullendorf.
Therefore, Zalka was speculating that the altar-picture of Oberpullendorf
might be the original picture painted by Raffael.

Have you ever heard this story? Is it still known at the parish of
Oberpullendorf? Could you inquire the background with the parish priest? I
am really curious how the story ended, and what is currently known about the
origin of the altar-picture of the church of Oberpullendorf.

Ed. Note: While we haven't heard from Markus, the Kersner & Peternell book
"Der Bezirk Oberpullendorf im Wandel der Zeit" mentions two altar paintings.
One in the village chapel of "Hll. Franz von Assisi" mentions an altar
painting of St. Francis from the 17th century. Another in the "Pfarrkirche
Hll. Apostel Simon und Judas Thaddus" is mentioned as a "worthwhile picture"
of Hll. Franziscus, a copy of the Italian painter Domenichino.

FAMILY NAME MHL, MUEHL (suggested by Theodore M. Muehl)

The name Mill, spelled as above still means mill, that indispensable machine
which reduces all sorts of things to manageable or edible proportions. The
family name of course derives from people "of the mill", "by the mill", etc.
It is also part of the larger body of names which derive from the occupation
"miller" or "one who mills". There are many other German derivatives from the
Latin "molinarius" like Muehlenberg (mill mountain), Muehlebach (mill brook),
Muehlhaus (mill house), Muehlheim (mill hamlet), etc. My interest is with the
family "Mhl" as encountered in southern Burgenland. I've traced my maternal
grandmother's family to Mihaly Mhl (1797 - 1873). He and wife Maria Vukits
(b abt 1803) had nine children born in Neustift and other villages in the
Gssing area where he taught school. As far as I know, none of his children
followed him in the teaching profession. His last teaching post was in
Urbersdorf and he retired to Rosenberg. His son Joseph (1834-1885, my great
grandfather) was a casket maker. He married Johanna Pltl and they had three
children who emigrated to the US along with the mother following Joseph's
death. A brother Ferentz (b1843) with wife Julianna Perner (1851-1892) was
also a casket maker (arcularious). They had 12 children, some of whom also
emigrated.

There is anoher Mhl family found in the Knigsdorf area (near
Elterndorf-Rudersdorf) who were also school teachers for at least three
generations. So far no link to the Gssing Mhls nor to a large group of the
same name in Kemeten. There are obviously many Mhls found in Germanic
regions, not to mention England. A website for the name can be found as Ted
Muehl writes:

"Thought you might be interested in this. I will put it in quotes and list
the source directly. Do you think that any of our Mhls stemmed from here?
Do you think there is something to this?"

http://www.concentric.net/~jmuehl/muehl.shtml

Hans-Joachim Mhl writes: > Hallo to all the Mhl's all over the world.
Interesting to see, how many Mhls are living in US. Guess for all english
speaking people, Mhl is difficult to pronounce, as this "" does not exist
in the english. I am German, living close to Frankfurt. My father's origin is
from a little German town called "Gau-Odernheim". In the history of this
little town a lot of Mhls are named. It is very likely, that the origin of
the last name Mhl is from the Netherlands. About 350 to 400 years ago,
people have to leave the dutch country because of religious trouble (war of
the Hugenots). Some of them came to "Gau-Odernheim" area and stayed there.
Others went further south-east through Austria to an area in Bulgaria, others
east to Upper Silesia, now Polish. My father has tracked back his family-tree
to 1650-1630. Could imagine, that some of these emigrated in the 19th century
to America. Regards to all the Mhls and those who are connected.>

Another lost migration story. Did one of the Mhls mentioned end up in
Kemeten, Burgenland with descendants drifting south and starting other
branches around Gssing and Eltendorf? We'll probably never know. Maybe the
name Mhl has a beginning in that land of "mills"- Holland?

END OF NEWSLETTER-EDITED & DISTRIBUTED BY GERALD J. BERGHOLD, Contact
for information about the Burgenland Bunch.

This thread: