BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 58 dtd 31 May 1999 (edited)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:05:20 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 58
(issued biweekly by
May 31, 1999
(all rights reserved)

("In Flanders fields the poppies blow, Between the crosses row on row"-McCrae)
Memorial Day 1999-WWI & WWII are distant memories,
the Korean War forgotten except by those involved, Vietnam is fading fast,
the Gulf War was yesterday, now the Balkans. We remember those who fell and
the memorials both here and in the Burgenland villages.

This first section of the 3 section newsletter contains data on the village
of Allhau, Continuing Your Burgenland Search-Census Records Primer, More on
Austrian Telephone Directory Searches, Review of a Video of the 30 Years'
War, and contact from a Descendant of the Batthyany Family.

Burgenland Editor Albert Schuch is now a civilian again,
having completed his Austrian Army service a few days ago!

NEW HISTORICAL VILLAGE SERIES-THE UPPER LAFNITZ (from Albert Schuch)
This is the second in the series. From: Josef LOIBERSBECK: Das obere
Lafnitztal. In: Burgenlndische Heimatbltter 1963-64, The Upper Lafnitz
Valley; 1) Wolfau, 2) Allhau, 3) Buchschachen, 4) Kitzladen, 5) Loipersdorf.

2) Allhau
First mentioned in 1335 as "Alh", "Alhaw" in 1455. Like Wolfau, it belonged
to the Domain Buchschachen, later to Schlaining. Urbarium 1539: 17 farmers
(16 with a full sessio, one with a half), 17 farms are deserted. Of the
deserted farms, two are listed with the former owner's name - probably these
have been destroyed by the Turks recently. The names are: 3 FINK; 2 FELBER; 1
STELTZ(ER), SCHUSTER, BUTZER, FIEDLER, URL (UIDL), FELSEL, FRAUER, TRESSL,
MUES(SER), BAUNFEL(D), Niklas STAMPF, KREINER, WURZER. The two mills are
owned by Michael KURZ and Michael BINDER. In 1646 Count Adam Batthyany
borrowed 150 florins from Simon and Matthias KERN - making them (tax-) free
men until repayment. In 1663 Count Paul Batthyany did the same with Johann
and Barbara FRANTSCHITSCH (100 florins).

In 1661 the Batthyany family mortgaged several farms to Viktor Reinhold
KAMPER from Schrding (Upper Austria), including those of Gregor PADLER,
Jakob REHBERGER, Georg FINK, Christoph FINK, Martin WEBER, Gregor HAGENAUER
and Gregor JANISCH.

New names in the Urbaria of 1746 and 1750: LUKITSCH, RITTER, GOGER, AUER. The
Urbarium of 1767 reports 114 farmers and 79 Sllner. Farmer names: 15 FINK; 9
MUSSER; 8 GOGER; 7 UIDL; 6 RITTER; 5 GALL, HAGENAUER; 4 HAHOLD, OHR, KURZ,
FRIEDLER, KERN; 3 JANISCH, BINDER; 2 PFEIFFER, HOLL, LOSCHI, LUKITSCH, AUER,
NEUBAUER, WELLISCH, HIRTZER; 1 GRABNER, KINELLI, WIEDNER, VORAUER, WOLFAUER,
ARTWOHL, MUHR, PFEILER, KRUTZLER, WENTLER, URBAUER, HALWACHS, SCHLLER,
TEURER, LEHNER, KOCH and SONNHAND. Sllner names: 2 BOHNSTINGL, RINGBAUER,
BRENNER; 1 FLECK, REHBERGER, PAPST, STUMPF, STIMPFEL, etc. 1782-86 a Lutheran
church was built, first pastor was Samuel TPLER from denburg (1783-1828),
first Lutheran teacher was Samuel HEUTSCHY, followed by Michael MUHR
(1790-1804). Lutheran pastors: Josef GDR (1829-36), Andreas RENNER
(1836-86), Ferdinand Martin KHNE (1888-91), Friedrich Karl WARKOWEIL
(1891-1923). Lutheran teachers: Johann Martin RITTER (1806-23), Michael NIKA
(1823-70), son Alexander NIKA (1872-99). In 1859, 120 farmers and 126 Sllner
were living in Allhau. Farmer names: 12 MUSSER; 11 FINK; 10 HAGENAUER; 8 GALL
(GAL); 7 KERN, RITTER and GOGER; 6 BINDER; 5 LOSCHI (LOZSI) and AUER; 4 UIDL;
3 NEUBAUER and KURZ; 2 SCHILLER, WELLES, HOLL, OHR, LEHNER, URBAUER and
WOLFAUER; 1 PIMPERL, BRENNER, WURZER, ZIERMANN, STUMPF, HAHOLD, FASSL,
REHBERGER, PFEIFFER, KRUTZLER, FIEDLER, JANISCH, SAUHAMMEL, PAPST, BENEDEK,
EILLES and PFEILER. Sllner names not mentioned among the farmers: 4 REISER;
3 LUKITSCH; 2 ZISSER, KINELLI, ARTWOHL, HIRZER, GRASSL, HLTL, etc. Baptism
records mention the following physicians in Allhau: 1849 Franz WATSCHINGER;
1881 Dr. Franz WANSAUER (from Styria) and Dr. Alois Stefan AMERSIN. Priests:
Viktor Robert JAKOBI (1924-38) from Transylvania, Ladislaus BRUNNER (1938-39)
from Eisenstadt, drafted into the German Army in 1939, M.I.A.; Horst PUMMER
(1939-42), also drafted, K.I.A.; Wilhelm WACKER (1942-44); Dr. Walter DEUTSCH
(1944-60) from Vienna, left for Frstenfeld (Styria); Manfred DOPPLINGER
(1960-) from Upper Austria. Teachers: Johann LACKNER (1899-1933) form
Oberschtzen; Franz REISINGER (1948) from Kitzladen; Johann SCHADEN (1949-62)
in Wolfau; Karl HEROLD (1962-). Statistics: 1833: 237 houses, 1430
inhabitants (of these, 166 Catholics, 1264 Lutherans); 1900: 298 houses (of
these, 179 made from stone and bricks, 99 wooden houses, 148 with a straw
roof), 1819 inhabitants (of these 32 Hungarians, 1781 Germans, 1 Slowak, 1
Croat, 4 Gypsies; 275 Catholics, 1534 Lutherans, 7 Reformed, 3 Jews).

CONTINUING YOUR BURGENLAND SEARCH- CENSUS RECORDS PRIMER
Previous issues of the newsletter have dealt with how to get up to speed in
your Burgenland ancestral search. We last stopped by explaining how to use
those marvelous LDS copies of church and civil records. All family records;
however, are grist for the LDS microfilm mill and they've also copied another
voluminous collection, the 1828 Hungarian Census.

As far as I've been able to determine, the National Austrian Census (or
Urbarium) was first promulgated by Count Anton von Kaunitz, a leading adviser
to Empress Maria Theresia. (Geschichte Des Burgenlandes, Floiger, Gruber,
Huber; 1996). It was part of overall reforms of the period, one purpose
being to identify the scope of land holdings for tax and other governmental
purposes. In 1767, Maria Teresia as Queen of Hungary issued the
"Urbarialpatent for the Kingdom of Hungary". Those of you who have been
following our village histories know that "urbars" have been taken for
centuries, under the auspices of the crown, local aristocracy or church.
While no complete microfilm of this first "national" census exits, portions
may be found copied with the 1828 Census for certain villages. Since
Burgenland was part of Hungary pre 1921, this Hungarian census supplies data
of interest to us.

The portion dealing with Burgenland carries the title "Ungarische
Staatsarchive, Archivum Palatinale, Landeskonskription 1828, Hungaria,
Comitatus Castriferrei" (vas Megye or county). It's contained in 8 LDS
microfilms, 0623007-0623014. Look in the LDS Locality Catalog under
Hungary-Vas-Census (or Sopron, Moson). The villages are listed in alphabetic
order generally by Hungarian names (but not always-it is best to look under
various spellings). Each village is assigned a number (shown in the film
index) starting with number 1 (Abdalocz-Szent Katalin) and ending with number
615 (Zsido-Flde-Vasvar-Eisenberg).

The 14 census headings (some with sub sections) are written in Latin which
was the legal language of the period. Census lists only the heads of
households by name, however it does reflect family size, tenants, servants,
land holdings, livestock, crop yields, etc. Data line for each individual
extends over two or more pages. The first two pages show in columnar order
(Latin headings explained):

1. Names of householders (providers of information), 2. Number of married
persons
3. Status (occupation)-13 categories-Professionals through
Farmers-sub-Tenants-Magistrates-etc. are shown with a check mark, 4. Houses
in which census was taken, 5. Size of Urban Fields and Value, 6. Grain
Production , 7. Meadows and Harvests, 8. Vines, 9. Orchards, 10. Animals
-large type, 11. Animals-small type, 12. Forests

Except for the individual names, the answers to each category are in the form
of a number (i.e. married-2; sons-3, daughters-2, servants-1 etc. or a check
mark). There is a summary at the end of each village. For instance in 1828,
the village of Poppendorf had 169 married people and 91 families, 41 farmers
(coloni), 50 tenant farmers (inquilini), 20 sons (adults?), 9 daughters
(adults?), 1 artisan.

One can also profit from LDS microfilm of the Hungarian tax records which
follow the same format, see catalog for microfilm numbers of villages ( in
the LDS microfilm range 1729844-98). I have not seen them all although they
include periods from 1768-1848. In these, house numbers are often shown.
There are also some Austrian village census records (0720194-212) for 1857,
mostly Sopron County.

What do these records do for us? Having found that your ancestor was born,
married and died in village X from church or civil records, the census will
tell you if he was a householder and how prosperous he was during the period
in question. Other householders with the same family name could be siblings,
parents or cousins-a clue to further searches or proof that individuals with
similar names existed. If you find two Josef ZZ's, you now know why you found
two births or marriages, etc. for someone you thought was your exclusive
ancestor.

I suggest you do not use these records before you scan the church or civil
records. They will not provide as much data and may mislead you. They are;
however a worthy search area. In previous newsletters I've mentioned Mrs.
Martha Connor 7754 Pacemont Ct., Las Vegas, NV 89117, who has spent years
translating the 1828 Hungarian Census. She can supply translated copies of
many counties (abt $25 plus postage) but has yet to do Vas Megye. She can
also supply (abt $5) a professional translation of the Latin headings and
lists of villages by Megye.

I can't leave this article without mentioning the United States Census.
Everyone should copy family data from this source. Most of the turn of the
century Burgenland emigrants will be found in the 1910 or 1920 census (order
the county and state in which settled). If from a large place like NYC, use
Soundex to locate the page of the census involved. If a place like Allentown,
PA, go to the ethnic neighborhood (census is listed by state, county, ward,
street), you'll find lots of Burgenland family names, relatives, family
friends, etc. I won't explain how to use Soundex or the US census as this is
explained in numerous genealogical references or in material available from
any LDS FHC. One caution, do not always believe "country or place of
origin"-this is often fictitious or a macro designation-like
"Germany"-"Austria"-"Hungary", etc. but I have also seen village names or
large nearby towns. Likewise be careful of census spellings. Non-Burgenland
census takers have done some awesome phonetic things with
German-Hungarian-Croatian names. Date of entry to the US can help in ship
searches and early occupations are listed as well. Foreign language spoken is
also a good clue. Remember, birth year calculated from age as shown on US
census can vary by as much as 3 years depending on when census was taken or
family guesstimates. You're not a veteran Burgenland genealogist until you've
scanned the US and foreign census material.

USE THE TELEPHONE DIRECTORY IN LOCATING FAMILY SOURCE VILLAGES
Previous newsletters have suggested scanning the foeign telephone directories
(most are on line, see our URL lists) to find concentrations of family names.
Some members have done just that with positive results. Two follow:

Fritz Konigshofer writes to Marilyn Rome; Marilyn, I briefly checked in the
Austrian on-line telephone directory (www.etb.at) and it appears there is a
concentration of the family-name Schck around Hannersdorf and
Grosspetersdorf, while the name Zapfel appears very much concentrated in
Riedlingsdorf. The name Schuh or Schuch is more wide-spread and thus more
difficult to pinpoint geographically. You did not mention whether your
grandparents were Roman-catholics or Lutherans. Let's assume they were
Roman-catholics. You could start with the civil records of Hannersdorf (from
Oct.1895) and try to locate the birth of your grandfather in 1897. The
village name would be (Pinka) vr which was the Hungarian name for Burg.
When you visit the Family History Center of LDS, ask for help in locating the
microfiche index of the Salt Lake City Library, then ask for the fiche of
Austria, Burgenland, then look for Hannersdorf, and specifically the civil
records. Then order the film and wait 2-3 weeks until arrival. You can
always check back with me with any questions, also when you read the film and
might not understand some of the Hungarian entries. At that point you could
scan portions and send them to me, or send me hardcopies, and I'll be happy
to assist you.

If you manage to locate the birth record of Franz (would be Ferencz) Zapfel,
then it would state the father (Jnos) and where he was born, and the same
info for the mother. As for your grandmother, since she was born before the
introduction of civil recording, order the film with the rom-cath records of
Hannersdorf (or the Grosspetersdorf Lutheran records, in case the Schcks
were Lutherans). Check the year 1894 and nearby for her birth. As soon as
you have the parents, search for their marriage record, as this would likely
state the parents of groom and bride as well. This way, you would not only
obtain the so far unknown pair of greatgrandparents Schck, but even two
pairs of great-great-grandparents. Is it possible that John Zapfel and
Theresia Schuh married in Hannersdorf (as the parish for Burg)? Why else
would they have settled in Burg? Therefore, check the Hannersdorf records
also for the marriage of this couple, and perhaps order the civil marriage
records as well, in case they married after September 1895.

At the same time, you might want to do the same checking in the rom-cath
(unless your ancestors were Lutherans) and civil records of Pinkafeld, which
include the recordings for Riedlingsdorf. The Hungarian name for
Riedlingsdorf was Rdny. You find the Pinkafeld film numbers the same way
as Hannersdorf, namely under Austria and Burgenland. Specifically, call the
film with the births of the 1870s and check for the baptismal entries of John
(Jnos) Zapfel and Theresia Schuh.

Bruce Klemens has done much telephone directory work. This moved Bob Unger to
give it a try with the following results: From Robert F. Unger [mailto:
] To: , Subject: Austrian on-line search.
Dear Bruce: The Burgenland Newsletter 57B told about your success in finding
individuals in Austria with your family surname, using the on-line Austrian
telephone book. Thank you for sharing that information. I tried using the
on-line directory but found that one needed to search every town and village.
I could not find a method to search for a specific area, such as the
complete Bezirk of Jennersdorf, or Bezirk Gssing. I have traced my Unger
ancestors back to the mid 17XX, where they lived in Rudersdorf from 17XX to
the present. I have been led to believe that the original Unger family came
to Rudersdorf from the west, through Styria, Austria. What was your
technique? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Klemens to Unger: Bob-You probably figured out from that article in
Newsletter 57B that wherever Klemensi* appeared it was supposed to read
Klemensic with an inflection sign over the "c". For whatever reason, those
special letters don't seem to transmit well over e-mail.

Anyway, I already knew the various Germanized spellings of Klemensic:
KLEMENSICH, KLEMENSCHITZ, KLEMENSITS, KLEMENSITZ, etc. So I had to go
through them in the book one by one. As it turned out, only the first two
spellings exist in Austria. Klemensits is used in Hungary. One thing to be
aware of is that the phonebook only shows about ten entries at a time. You
have to click "Weitere Eintrage" (further entries) in the lower right to get
the next ten.

I'm not sure if you can get entire bezirks. If you click "Erweitere Suche"
(Extended or Advanced search) you can pick just Burgenland from the
Bundesland category, to narrow things down somewhat. Then just keep clicking
Weitere Eintrage and print each page as it comes up. I'm fortunate as there
aren't that many KLEMENSICH /KLEMENSCHITZ names in existence.

The Hungarian on-line book is nice because you don't have to type the exact
name. If I type KLEMEN, I'll get all names that start with those letters.
What I'm trying now is the Croatian on-line book to try to find what villages
the original Klemensic immigrants came from. I can't seem to figure out how
to get all of Croatia in one shot. Apparently you have to pick one province
or area at a time, which is a pain in the neck. It's not working as I hoped.
Both Frank Teklits' translations and my Austrian cousin's info indicate the
family came from the coastal region in or near Dalmatia. But most of the
Klemensic's (or Klemencic's) are elsewhere. Of course, one obvious
explanation is that they either 1) all moved to Burgenland or other areas in
Croatia or 2) were killed by the Turks. I've also tried to find a Slovakia on
line phonebook and try that as well, but it doesn't seem to exist.

(ED.-Bruce produced a map of his findings and wrote further.) I think that my
cousin's story of the origin of the Klemensic family in Dalmatia is a
question of semantics. Depends what you consider Dalmatia. Two of Frank's
excerpts from different parts of his translation show the original Oslip
Croatians as coming from two areas: 1) Senj, Otocac, Gospic, Obrovac area and
2) Ostrovica, Knin, Skradin area. See attached bitmap which I hope you can
open. I've circled these areas.

The two original files I sent you of the Klemensich distributions in Austria
and Hungary were Microsoft Word 97 files, with the maps inserted into the
word documents. I've been trying to convert them to bitmaps or .jpg files
but it messes up the locations of the little numbers I put on the map.
Perhaps if I saved the Word files as some other word processing format it
would work. They are only around 350 kilobytes each.

You mentioned not being concerned with the minor spelling differences. Here's
a weird one. Per the original birth records available from LDS, my
grandfather and all his siblings were born as KLEMENSICH. So were all their
ancestors. Yet when grandpa and many of his brothers came to the US before
WWI, they originally spelled it KLEMENSCHITZ. Back in Burgenland, there is
even KLEMENSCHITZ drawn in the stucco on an addition to grandpa's birthplace
which was built in 1891. BUT, his brother Karl, (Anna Odorfer's grandfather)
stayed in Burgenland and always spelled it KLEMENSICH as did his Burgenland
descendents. Right now the KLEMENSICH/KLEMENSCHITZ distribution on my map is
about 50/50.

REVIEW- A VIDEO OF THE "30 YEARS WAR"- NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
I recently acquired the movie video "The Last Valley" (Anchor Bay
Entertainment no. SV10651), taken from James Clavell's book of the same name.
The time period is 1641, the 23rd year of the "Thirty Years' War". It stars
Michael Cain as the captain of a mercenary troop and Omar Sharif as a
wandering teacher-beggar who is trying to evade the horrors of the period.
While filmed in a valley of the Austrain province of Tyrol, it could well be
the foothills of the Alps in Burgenland or Styria. Most of the scenes take
place in a Hollywood rendition of a 17th Century rural village, although the
attention to historical detail is extraordinary. Of main interest to our
readers, apart from the Tyrol scenery will be the brutal portrayal of the
death and destruction which depopulated Europe and provided the impetus for
eastern migration to Hungarian and Russian lands and in the next century,
western migration to the Americas. The opening and closing scenes are
particularly gruesome and the interaction of Catholic and Protestant
antagonists brings us a depth of Christian religious animosity hard to fathom
today. While the village layout is not the typical straight line fronting on
strip farms found in the Burgenland migratory period, it appears to be a
pretty good portrayal of a communal village. It provides a feel for the
effect of these religious wars on simple villagers. If you'd like to learn a
little about the 30 Years' War without reading one of the histories, try this
video if you can stomach the brutality.

WE HEAR FROM A DESCENDANT OF THE BATTHYANY FAMILY