BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 60 dtd 30 June 1999 (edited)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:14:34 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 60
(issued biweekly by
June 30, 1999
(all rights reserved)
"He who boasts of his ancestry praises the deeds of another." Seneca

Note to recipients. If you no longer wish to receive Burgenland Bunch
mailings send an email to with message "remove". ("Cancel"
will cancel both membership and mail.) To join see our homepage. Comments
and articles are appreciated. This first section of the 3 section newsletter
contains an Early Item Concerning Pilgersdorf, Data Concerning Villages of
St. Margarethen and Kemeten, Basic Genealogy Help, Source of Old Lehigh
Valley, PA Ethnic Papers, Steamship Arrivals, A Primer for Hungarian Tax
Records and the Villages of Pinkamindszent and Pornapti Hungary from the
new Hungarian Hiszi Atlas.

!!! PLEASE READ - TIME FOR A NEW MEMBERSHIP LIST - PLEASE READ !!!

It's time for a new BB Membership List - 34 pages of packed print, over 325
entries. It will be sent in four email sections July 15 in lieu of the
regular newsletter. If you do not want to receive it, let me know no later
than July 10, send email to , subject "BB", saying "no list"
(include your name). If you do not include your name, I'll ignore your
message. Members are also listed on the homepage.

STATUS OF ROOTSWEB BB NEWSLETTER DISTRIBUTION CHANGE

I'm loading old BB newsletters to Rootsweb archives. I've removed redundant
and outdated material. These archives will be available for searches at an
address which will be forthcoming. When that is finished, I'll be loading
member email addresses, after which the newsletters will be distributed by
Rootsweb (perhaps by August).

EARLY ITEM CONCERNING PILGERSDORF (from Albert Schuch)
From: Oberwarther Sonntags-Zeitung, 11 May 1884, page 4:
Translation:
Emigrations. On 25th April another 15 persons from Pilgersdorf and
surroundings emigrated to America. The number of those who have already
made up their mind to emigrate is not small, and as soon as they are
able to sell their property or have the money they need for traveling,
they will embark on their journey to the New World. The farewell of the
emigrants who say good-by to their relatives and friends with broken
hearts is deeply affecting. It is not hard to guess why so many decide
to make this move, for anybody who knows the situation in this area
knows that the poor quality of the soil makes it impossible for the poor
farmer - no matter how hard he tries - to make enough profit to pay the
taxes and to have enough for his own needs. Also, the fact that those
who emigrated earlier praise their situation in the letters they send
home is increasing the will to emigrate. One doesn't have to be a
prophet to foresee that because of the above mentioned circumstances the
emigration will increase to such dimensions, that in a few years the
number of the modest and good hearted inhabitants of Pilgersdorf and
surroundings will have fallen strongly.

SOME NEW VILLAGES
We get asked about villages we haven't covered. Here are two new ones:

ST. MARGARETHEN (Hungarian names Margita, Szentmargitbanya)
A market town in the Bezirk (district) of Eisenstadt, 2635 inhabitants (1993)
and 1103 houses. Site of a Roman quarry which may be visited today. First
mentioned as a village in the year 1232. Part of the Herrschaft (fief) of
Eisenstadt. Much destruction during the Bocskay Hungarian rebellion (1604-5)
and the Turkish Wars (1683). First church built in 1276. Rebuilt often as
"Heilige Johannes dem Tufer". Site of a periodic "Passion Play", there are 5
other chapels. Area called "Kohlgraben" is the oldest part of town. Michael
Unger (Landwirt -farmer- 1877-1937) was Brgermeister in 1922-27, Karl Unger
(merchant, 1895-1955) in 1939-45. Rosa Unger (1909) was notary 1941-1970.
Church records 1827-1895 are available from the LDS as microfilm number
0700846, Civil records 1895-1920 as 0700596-599. First emigrants to US as
early as 1855, names Nawrath and Steindl.

KEMETEN
Kemeten (Hungarian Komjat) is in Bezirk (District) Oberwart. 1530 inhabitants
(1993), 596 houses. First mentioned in the year 1475 as Komyath. It then
became part of the Herrschaft (fief) of Buchenschachen in possession of the
Kaldy family. In 1574 it was taken over by the Batthyany. In 1750 by
Baumkirchner of Schlaining. Later it became independent. A Lutheran site
during the Reformation (you'll find both Catholics and Lutherans). Both
churches are there today, the Catholic, (Heilige Nikolaus) built 1797,
present Lutheran 1967 (was a school). Johann Mhl (1866-1942) was
Brgermeister from 1931-37, Johann Mhl, Landwirt (farmer) (1912-1990 from
1951-58 and Josef Mhl (1933) from 1980-1992. Many families named Mhl in
this village. RC church records 1828-1896 are LDS microfilm 0700750, Civil
1895-1920, 0700313-320.

BASIC GENEALOGY HELP
I often get basic genealogy questions. While I don't mind helping (and will
continue to do so), I'd prefer that questions be limited to Burgenland
genealogy. There are many genealogy sites that can help with general
genealogy. A new help site is coming on line. You may wish to use it as a
source for non Burgenland questions. From a recent Roots Web Newsletter:

"ROOTSWEB'S GUIDE TO TRACING YOUR FAMILY TREE ("RootsWeb Guide")
<http://www.rootsweb.com/~rwguide/>;. Designed with the beginning genealogist
and new RootsWeb user in mind, each lesson will include text, suggested
reading list, links to some of the relevant resources hosted by RootsWeb, and
links to some relevant resources found elsewhere on the Internet. Lesson One,
"Where to
Begin," is online now. Lesson Two is scheduled to be posted next week.
Additional lessons will be posted most weeks thereafter. Even experienced
genealogists and long-time RootsWeb users might learn some useful new things.
Please stop by."

SOURCE OF OLD LEHIGH VALLEY ETHNIC PAPERS (from Anna Kresh)
Have you tried AccessPA?

"ACCESS PENNSYLVANIA is a coordinated effort to automate library services in
the Commonwealth. This is a project from the Pennsylvania Department of
Education and Commonwealth Libraries. As of the fall of 1997, there were:

1,425 school, public, academic and special libraries on the database
over 23 million holdings in the database, over 3.3 million unique records on
the database, 95% of Pennyslvania's school districts participating in the
program"

I checked in Dauphin County (for the PA State Library in Harrisburg)
searching for Anyword: Friedensbothe, and came up with these 2 returns:
(the URLs are *very* long)

1) Der Friedens-Bothe und Lecha, Northampton, Bucks und Montgomery
Counties wchentlicher Anzeiger -1834, (this one may be too early)

http://accesspa.brodart.com/cf/clientf.cgi?D=1&DIR=17875-167-14.13.18&O=S&H=27
44&C=0&M=E&X=10&T=3198

2) Skizzen aus dem Lecha=Thale. Eine Sammlung von Nachrichten ber die
ersten Ansiedlungen der Weiszen in dieser Gegend. Von Ben 1880-86

http://accesspa.brodart.com/cf/clientf.cgi?D=1&DIR=17875-167-14.13.18&O=S&H=27
44&C=1&M=E&X=10&T=3198

If you go to those 2 web pages you will see the State Library's Bibliographic
Record for those 2 newspapers. It will also tell you how you can "borrow the
book". I'm assuming you can get these on microfilm via inter-library loan at
your local library. I have gotten microfilm of older issues of the Allentown
Morning Call and the Hazleton Standard- Speaker, but have been unsuccessful
in getting really old microfilm of the Bethlehem Globe from them.

STEAMSHIP ARRIVALS (from Bob Unger)
I have used this reference many times - thought the BB members could also
find it very useful:

Reference Book: Morton Allan Directory of European Passenger Steamship
Arrivals; Baltimore Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. 1980; (973.0 U3m) Port
of New York 1890-1930); and ports of New York, Philadelphia, Boston and
Baltimore for the years of 1904-1926. This reference book is in my local LDS
Family History Center, it may be in others.

1839 HUNGARIAN TAX RECORDS (by Bob Unger and Joe Jarfas)
The LDS Family History Center (FHC) has 55 rolls of microfilm on Hungarian
Tax Records, film numbers 1,729,844 to 1,729,898. They cover the period from
1768 to 1848. It is not a year by year tax record for all villages. For
example the record for the village of Rudersdorf (Radafalva) was for the year
1839. The text is in Hungarian, and they are referenced or indexed using the
Hungarian names of the villages for that period.

The Hungarian Tax Records offer a new and broader dimension to information
about our ancestors. These tax records list all the individuals in the
village who were required to pay taxes. They also list the asset being
taxed, therefore one can get some idea of the wealth of the individual. Since
all tax payers are listed, one can also get a sense of how the village was
structured and how the assets, (house, land, live stock, etc.) varied between
individuals.

To find the film number for your village, it is suggested that you first
consult a Hungarian Gazetteer, possibly microfiche 6,000,840 (1-19), to
find the old Hungarian names for your village (or use our homepage). Next,
using the FHC computer system, select the Family History Library Catalog.
Select option D, film/fiche number search. Enter 1729844 which brings up the
tax records. Select F8 for full display. Select F4 search mode. Select the
option for word search. Enter the name of your village. That entry will
highlight the village, and show the film number to be ordered. If your FHC
has a print screen option, print the screen containing your village and film
number. Save this sheet to assist you when you get your ordered film,
because the records are not indexed in an easy to find order. Good luck with
your research.

Ed. Note: Bob began working with Tax records and had questions. He writes
further: At long last I finally got around to ordering and gathering
information from the LDS Hungarian Tax Records for 1839, film # 1,729,853.
There were only 15 pages of records for Rudersdorf, so I copied them all. I
tried to translate the Hungarian heading but am having some problems, i.e.
under the heading of Hzainak = Home, they have 1-s, 2-ik, 3-ik and 4-ik.
What do they mean? Does it mean that the home had three rooms? If you
have a copy of the form headings translated, I would be very much in your
debt. Some time ago I purchased two large Hungarian dictionaries, but found
them to be lacking at times.

I found it interesting to learn from these tax records that almost everyone
owned the same amount of land. It appears that Rudersdorf truly must have
been one of the resettlement villages, where each new settler received the
same among of land. I also found it interesting to find that my
GGGrandfather, Matthias Unger, had 12 6/8 holds (hold=1.42 acres) of land
while most others had 8 4/8 holds. There were a total of three tax payers
having 12 6/8 holds and remaining 69 listed had 8 4/8 Holds.
Ed. Answer: Bob, the Headings show as: Ha'zainak, 1-s, 2-ik, 3-ik and 4-ik,
Oszta'lban, Sza"ma. My interpretation of this is the number of divisions of
the homestead (number of buildings?). You'll notice that most check marks are
under the "3-ik" column. That would mean house, barn and shed. It may well be
the number of rooms. Since the same 1-s, 2-ik, 3-ik and 4-ik shows under
Sza'nto' fo"ldjeinek (ploughland -ploughable fields) and other headings, it's
obviously a numbering system, but it might also refer to a series defined and
identified in the beginning of the tax record which I don't have.

Unfortunately, as you say, the 1839 records are headed in Hungarian as
opposed to Latin. While I have the Latin headings translated, I don't have
the Hungarian ones. One suggestion, sometimes it's easier to translate
Hungarian if you break the words into their component parts and look up the
components. I'm asking Joe Jarfas by copy of this email if he could comment
on the above. (Bob Unger then transmitted a page of the tax records)

Joe Jarfas responded with:
Dear Robert, the scan was just fine; I was able to read all of it, except
that Brunner Jnos' number 2 entry, which looks like xx Ispny; the manager
or bailiff of the estate or property of the nobility.

The approximate line by line translation follows (many of the definitions are
difficult to discern from the columnar entries without
knowing the meaning of those classes and categories in those times [for
some of the accented characters to show correctly you have to set your
browser to ISO-8859-2 - Central European]):

______ Jrsban kebelezett = belonging to ______ district;
______ adz kzsg ad alapjnak szve rsa 1839.-ik vben =
______ named village tax base determination for the year 1839;

I. Szeml - Ad = personal tax;
Az Adz csald Fejnek neve = name of head of houshold taxed;
Polgri sorsra nzve = (belonging to) civilian category;
Jobbgy = serf, villein, peasant;
Zsellr = cotter;
Laks = resident;

II. Hz - Ad = dwelling tax;

Hzainak = (his/her) houses';
1.-s, 2.-ik, 3.-ik, 4.-ik = 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th;
Osztlban = class/category;
Szma = number;
Kap Hzbrt = receive rent(?);
Pengben = (in) Peng;
fl. = Florin (seems like they used an old(er) form);
xr. = Krajcr (I believe 100 xr to a Florin. [Same for Peng
and fillr: 100 fillr to a Peng]);
Kap Malombrt vagy jvedelmet = receive mill rent or income(?);

III. Telek - Ad = property tax
Szntfldjeinek = (his/her) arable (plaughed) land;
1.-s, 2.-ik, 3.-ik, 4.-ik = see above;
Osztlban = (in) class/category;
Hold szma = number of (cataster: 1.412 acres);
Rtjeinek = (his/her) meadows;
Kaszs szma = scythe number (suspect this to be the number
of man hours/days it took to finish mowing/cutting by hand.
Why it wasn't given in 'hold' I've no idea!);

Mind 3.-ik osztl Szljnek kaps szma = the 3rd (class)
category vine(yard) hoeing number (again it seems to mean the
number of people/hours/days to hoe the place ... and imply that
it is defined some place else.);

IV. Marha - Ad = live stock tax;
Marhinak nv szerint = (his/her) live stock by name;
Lovainak = (his/her) horses;
kreinek = (his/her) oxen;
Teheneinek = (his/her milking) cows;
Nvendk marhinak = (his/her) calves;
Csikjinak = (his/her) foals;
Juhainak = (his/her) sheeps;
Kecskinek = (his/her) goats;
Sertseinek = (his/her) pigs;
Szma = number/pieces;

V. Ipar - Ad = trade tax;
Bir kereskedssel = pursue a trade(?) (or business);
Osztlval = type of class/category;
Gyakorol mestersget = practice a trade (profession);
Osztlt = type of class/category;
Fizet haszonbrt pengben = pay for lease in peng(?);

VI. Mellkes haszonvtelek adja = miscellaneous taxes;
Van mellkes haszonvtele pengben(?) = has other (side) income
in peng;
Bormrsbl = (from) wine sale;
Gubacsbul = (from sale of) gall-nut (first I thought it was
acorn, but looking it up in Shorter Oxford I found "oakapple,
gall: An excrescence produced on a tree, esp. the oak, or other
plant by the action of a fungus, bacterium, an insect, etc.");
Makkbl = (from sale of) acorn (feed for pigs);

Ezektl adzik = pay taxes to;
A' Hzi = (state?) house;
Pnztrba = treasury (cashier);
A' Hadi = (state?) military;
szvsen = Total;

Some of these expressions are old fashioned - as can be expected; the
spelling has changed in many cases as well. My expectation would be that
the introduction to the tax records spell out the definitions for many
of the classes and categories mentioned; or they refer to the standard
classifications defined by law at the time. The class/category designation
which shows up under so many headings means - likely - different things with
different headings. Evidently not only the houses but arable land, meadows,
trade and/or professions were categorized. If one assumes that the price of
the house (therefore the number of rooms) is meant by it; with the land it
could be the condition of the soil, location to irrigation, near/far to
creeks, etc.; the trade and business or profession had to be defined by other
means, i.e. laws of that time or before; that's why I assume that many of the
others are defined by law as well.

To make the translation I attempted to get in touch with somebody at
the National Archives in Hungary via E-mail but they do not respond to
general inquiries of this type. There are lots of books available on the
subject (read it on their web site ... but few in English) which should
be available in most libraries. They do respond to written inquiries,
and have their addresses, but let me know if anybody can locate the
information by other means, before I write to them. I can also search
for the relevant literature/books if that's needed. Regards, Joe Jarfas.

PINKAMINDSZENT, VAS, HUNGARY (from Hizi Atlas by Fritz Knigshofer)
We are reprinting (with the publisher's permission) brief descriptions of
villages in counties Vas and Gyr-Moson-Sopron as contained in newly
published atlases (mentioned below). Readers are encouraged to submit
requests for specific Hungarian border villages to Fritz Knigshofer
() who will accommodate such requests to the extent
possible. The requests can only be for villages or towns that are located
within today's counties of Vas or Gyr-Moson-Sopron.

The bibliographic details for the Vas County edition of the atlas
are: "Vas Megye Teleplseinek Atlasza," Peter Gndcs, publisher, 1997,
published by HISZI-MAP Kft., 5700 Gyula, Corvin utca 3, Tel/Fax:
+36-66-463610, 463323, Hungary, E-mail ; Web-site
www.hiszi-map.hu. All rights reserved. Copies available in Hungary for 2,500
Forints. The issue for Gyr-Moson-Sopron Megye was published in 1998, and
sells for 2,500 Forints. Editions exist for some other counties.

Vas County: Pinkamindszent. [German name was Allerheiligen] The village along
the Pinka brook was first mentioned in 1221. Then already, the village had a
church named for all saints ("mindszent") which gave the village its name.
Today's church furnishings are from the Baroque period. The population,
nearly 800 at the start of this century, has diminished to 183. The reason
for the decline was the isolation of the village due to the nearness of the
frontier (adjoins Moschendorf, Burgenland but no national border crossing
nearer than Heiligenkreuz).

Pornapti. The village along the Pinka brook, partly inhabited by ethnic
Germans and first mentioned in 1221, owes its name to the Cistercian
monastery founded here by the Jk family. The remains of the monastery are
hidden under the buildings of major (Old Manor) where several 13th century
stone carvings have been unearthed. The present day church is late Baroque
with an altarpiece painted by Stephan Dorfmeister and altar statues by
Johannes Metter, dating from 1681. The church bell is also very old, dating
from 1464. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. Population is
400.[German name was Pernau; Croat name?]
(Newsletter continues as no. 60A)

This thread: