BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 61B, dtd 31 July 1999
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 08:41:47 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 61B
(issued biweekly by )
July 31, 1999

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains information
concerning this year's Minneapolis BB Picnic, a Raabtaler Heimattreffen
(Raaab Valley Reunion), Austrian Empire Web Sites, URL Changes and Listings
of Many New Members.

ANNUAL BURGENLAND BUNCH MINNEAPOLIS PICNIC (Susan Peters)
(Ed. While it is not possible for me to attend I extend my greetings to all
who can.)
The plans for the Burgenland Bunch (and other interested parties) picnic have
been finalized. Here are the specifics: Date: Sunday, August 8, Time:
10:00AM- 3:00PM, Where: Wabun Park, Minneapolis, MN.

This park is the same spot we had the picnic last year and centrally located
in the Twin Cities. It is adjacent to Minnehaha Park, but has its own
entrance. (Don't expect to go into Minnehaha Park and find your way to
Wabun.) This will be a very casual affair. Please bring whatever you would
like to eat and drink and whatever else you may need: plates, napkins,
utensils, condiments, bug spray, other picnic paraphernalia. It is basically
"every man for himself". Also, if you desire, you may bring some kind of
food to share: salads, chips, pickles, desserts, etc. This year we have
reserved the entire covered area (as opposed to only half of it last year) in
case of inclement weather, so the picnic will be held rain or shine. The
shelter has electrical outlets and sinks with running water. There are 17
permanent grills around the site, so there shouldn't be a problem
commandeering one. There is also a "tot lot" nearby, which has playground
equipment, if we have any smaller children attending. Because the cost of
reserving the entire shelter doubled our cost from last year, we are
requesting a donation of $10 from each attending family. We will have our
flags up like last year to identify our area. Maps of the park location are
available by email or U.S. mail from Hap Anderson. (See below.) Hap is also
going to try to put it on the BBunch website sometime on Friday, but it is a
huge file and it might not work. We could also email "verbal" directions
from a known landmark like the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. (The park is
very near the airport.)

Don't forget to bring genealogical treasures you want to share: family group
sheets, descendants charts, pictures, books, copies of records, Burgenland
travel info, etc.

Please RSVP to Susan Peters by Monday, July 26th (?). Please let me know the
names of the people attending, the surnames and villages you are researching,
and include your telephone number in case of late breaking events where email
is not possible. I will have a handout at the picnic with the names of the
attendees and research information.

If I have inadvertently missed someone on the invitation list, I'm very
sorry. Please forward the message to them and let me know. If you know
anyone else who would be interested, please feel free to forward the
invitation to them as well. We are looking forward to renewing acquaintances
from last year and meeting new friends and relatives this year!

Susan Peters <> (that's an "L" as in laser in lmco)
and
Hap Anderson <>

RAABTALER HEIMATTREFFEN - RAAB VALLEY REUNION

Robert Strauch, Burgenland correspondent from Allentown, PA sends me notice
of a reunion for natives of the formerly German speaking villages in the
Hungarian Raab Valley; the villages of Rabafuzes (Raabfisisch), Rnk (Unter
und Oberradling), and Jakabhaza (Jakobshof), all in the vicinity of St.
Gotthard, near the southern Burgenland border with Hungary. The reunion will
be held Oct. 16, 1999 at the Austrian-Hungarian Vets, 852 N. 4th Street,
Allentown, PA, commencing with a cash bar at 5 PM. There will be a hot buffet
at 6 PM followed by music played by the Schanta Band and a concert by the
Hianzenchor under the direction of Bob Strauch. Burgenlanders from as far
away as Chicago, Canada and NY are expected to participate. Cost is $20.00
per person pre-paid by Oct. 1. Send checks to Fred Gyry, 840 S. 12th St.,
Apt. #4, Allentown, PA 18103. For further information he may be reached at
610 776-1371 or call Rudy Schuster at 610 965-2610. Due to limited seating
(130 people), attendance has to restricted to first generation immigrants
(those born in the Raab Valley) and their spouses. However, you may call the
above on Oct. 1 to determine if any space is available if you are not first
generation and wish to attend. Any open space will then be allotted to others.

AUSTRIAN EMPIRE WEB SITES (from Charles Wardell, introduction by editor.)
In our search for Burgenland material we often find that we must reference
other parts of the Empire. Web addresses to some of these are not easy to
remember and there are a lot of them. Fortunately the Burgenland Bunch URL
list maintained by Anna Kresh (sent to all new members, maintained on the
homepage and updated via the newsletters) is a big help. If we were to list
all Empire web sites, we'd need a book, but Charles Wardell recently sent me
a list of some linked to or available from WorldGenWeb. He also mentions
links to other sources. You may wish to bookmark some of these. Charles
writes:

Dear Hosts of Eastern European Countries and Austria Provinces,[this sounds
like a rather grand title from 18th century Austria :-) ] I just wanted to
let you know that I have resubmitted information about all your sites to John
Fuller who (with Chris Gaunt) co-authors the excellent "Genealogy Resources
on the Internet": http://members.aol.com/johnf14246/internet.html
He also liaisons with Cyndi (Cyndi's List) and Vicki (RootsWeb Listings).
Extact of my note John Fuller: Austria - please add:

Province of Burgenland (Burgenland Bunch)
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

Province of Tyrol
http://www.rootsweb.com/~auttir/index.htm

Province of Styria
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autste/index.htm

Province of Carinthia
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autkae/index.htm

City and province of Vienna
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwie/

Province of Vorarlberg
http://bg-gallus.vol.at/vlbggen/

Province of Lower Austria
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autnoe/index.htm

Also in:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cgaunt/eeurope.html

Bulgaria
BulgariaGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~bgrwgw/

Croatia
CroatiaGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~hrvwgw/

Hungary
HungaryGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wghungar/

Macedonia
MacedoniaGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mkdwgw/

Montenegro
MontenegroGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mntwgw/

Romania
RomaniaGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~romwgw/index.html

Serbia
SerbiaGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~serwgw/

Ukraine
UkraineGenWeb
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ukrwgw/index.html

Russian Resources:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~cgaunt/russia.html
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ruswgw/

BURGENLAND BUNCH INTERNET LINKS - ADDITIONS, REVISIONS 7/15/99
(from Internet Editor Anna Kresh)

WorldGenWeb INTERNET LINKS
o StyriaGenWeb <http://www.rootsweb.com/~autste/>; - Styria and Carinthia
WorldGenWeb (Gerry Berghold/Charles Wardell)

BURGENLAND BUNCH MEMBERS' HOME PAGES
o Kubiatowicz, Dave and Rose <www.iol31.com/kubi/rosebloom/> - St. Paul, MN

GENEALOGY RESEARCH LINKS (U.S.)
o AccessPA <http://accesspa.brodart.com/>; - automated library services in the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In the fall of 1997 there were 1,425 school,
public, academic and special libraries on the database, containing over 23
million holdings with over 3.3 million unique records; one possibility: click
on Dauphin County/PA State Library located in the state capital of
Harrisburg, then search under Anyword for old newspapers, etc. with
instructions on how to obtain microfilm, books, etc. via inter-library loan

LANGUAGE AIDS - TRANSLATORS, DICTIONARIES, etc.
o FreeTranslation.com <http://www.freetranslation.com/>; - free, web-based
rapid language translation service by Transparent Language (Ed. Note:
Although this site also does not perform perfect translations, it may be good
to keep it in reserve since AltaVista, formerly owned by Digital Equipment,
then acquired by Compaq, has now been acquired by CMGI. Translating a web
page using both translators will produce slightly different translations, but
comparing the output gives you a clearer idea of the content rather than with
a single translation.)

URL CHANGES (revised links/descriptions)
o Andert, Gene <http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~andert/pomogfamilies.htm>; -
USGenWeb Project Coordinator for Kosciusko County, Indiana; some data on
Pomogy, Hungary, now Pamhagen, Austria

o LDS Family Search <http://www.familysearch.org>; - Online LDS (Church of
Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints) Family Search database;
Search for Ancestors <http://www.familysearch.org/Search/customhomepage.asp>;
- provides links to the LDS Ancestral File, IGI (International Genealogical
Index), Family History Library Catalog (links to microfilms, etc.), your
local Family History Centers, and more; Refer to BB Newsletter 53A for more
information.

MEMBER CHANGES-These Have All Occurred Since the Last Newsletter.

CANCEL
Joseph F. Weber, (); Applegate, CA. WEBER, SCHLAGEL,
(SCHOGL), BURGER, KAINTZ, GROSINGER, REIDINGER, REINHOFER, SHERMAN, and
STIFTER. Steinbach, Kirchschlag, Pilgersdorf, Bubendorf, Deutsch Geresdorf
and Gschorholz.

CHANGE
Norm Pihale; (), Northfield, MN, Researching:
BAUER, EGLSER, GANGL, GRUBER, HARRER, HAIDER, HOPFER, HOLLY,
HOLLANITSCH, KLEIN, KOPPI, OBERBAUER, TSCHIDA, UNGER (Illmitz);
GERSTL, HALBAUER, KADER, KAINZ, KANDELSDORFER, KOPPI, LEURER, LEINER,
MICHLITS, MOLLNER, SALZER, SCHNEIDER, SCHREUER, SCHWARZBAUER, SZIGETHY,
UNGER, WIEGER (Wallern); BAUER, SAILER, SCHORN, STIFTER, WEGLEITNER
(Frauenkirchen); ANDERT, CSIDA, DOPPEL, KLEIN, KOPPI, SCHREIER, THELL,
THRINGER (Pamhagen); UNGER (Halbturn); FISCHER, REINER (Tadten). The KLEIN
and UNGER families settled mostly in St. Paul, Ramsey County, MN, and some
in Stearns County, MN. Also interested in Sudeten Germans from Hritz, Kreis
Krummau area of the current Czech Republic. (name changes and spelling)

NEW
Alexander Allen; (); HORVATITS, Stinatz.

Michelle Bloomfield (), Chicago, IL. SZECHSER / SECHSER/
SECHZAR, UNGER, LESZAR, CHICHOVITCH, POLSTER, NEMETH/NEMET, JUNG, RIESZ,
WACHTLER. Rechnitz, Burgenland. Sopron, Rabacsanak, Hungary. To Chicago.

Kim Bulone; (); Boynton Beach, FL. Karoly SCHUCH
and Terez HORVATH. Eberau, (Monyorokerek, Hungary). Gisella Schuch Flax, born
Feb. 1892, to America abt 1906. 8 of her 10 siblings settled in Chicago.

Richard Csamer; (). Information on Ladislaus, Louis J.
CSAMER, born 1873 in Wallendorf. Also Anton CSAMER or CZAMIR, born March 26,
1919 in Hungary and went to Canada in 1957. Died May 5, 1991. The Public
Trustee of British Columbia is attempting to find next of kin to settle
estate.

Henry (Hank) Dilcher; (); Atlanta, GA. RABOCH (at some
time changed to RAPPOSCH) and UITZ, Muhlgraben but also could be Leoben or
Eisenberg. Settled in New Britain, CT.

Judith Fursman; (), Diamond Springs, CA . GRASSINGER
(GROSSINGER), Monica born Lebenbrunn, Vas Megye, Austria-Hungary 6/19/1830

Henry Gangl; (); New Hope MN. GANGL, LEURER GRAISY, BAUER.
Illmitz and Wallern. Parents settled in Saint Paul, MN in 1906-1920.

Bob Gibiser; (), Center Valley, PA. GIBISER,
Kohfidisch. KROPF, Heiligenkreiz. WAGNER, Rudersdorf; CHERKITZ, Eltendorf.
Early 1900's to Allentown, PA

Carlos Salinas Hochwarter, (); Somerville, NJ. HOCHWARTER,
Burgenland

Kathy Kearns; (); Santa Fe TX. KELEMEN. Matthias
Kelemen arrived in the states in 1907 via Galveston Tx.

Linda Landau; (la ) Astoria, NY. GROLLER, GIBISER, MUHR.
Knigsdorf, Jennersdorf. To Allentown and NY.

Julia Mant; (); Sydney, Australia. WOLFand KLABER families,
particularly Emil Klaber (1880-1933, Sopron). Jewish wine merchants of
Eisenstadt and Sopron. Members of the Klaber family immigrated to England and
Australia during WW2.

John William Maschler Sr., (); Greer, SC. Ignatz MASCHLER
who with his wife Theresia (LEIDL or LEIDEL) Maschler immigrated to the USA
in the late 1800's. Piringsdorf. Would like to prepare lists of all Maschlers.

Denny Mayer; (), Durham, NC. MAIER, KORPITSCH, SOMMER,
WAGNER, Mogersdorf area. Settled in Allentown Pa.

Mark Melzl; (); Old Bridge, NJ. STEINER, FISCHL. Gssing.
To NYC.

Frederick Mollner, (), Oxnard, CA. MOLLNER,
MASCHL--Sankt Johann (Janossomorja, Hungary)--Andrew Mollner to U.S.1901,
settled in Minneapolis, MN. Other brothers emigrated also with some of the
family ending up in Oregon.

Gerald Nemeth; (), Flushing, NY. NEMETH, Harmisch;
DREISSIGMEYER, Unterbildein. To NY.

William Oravecz; (). LEITNER, FISCHLE. Deutsch
Tschantschendorf. Daughter Anna Leitner to NYC, Passaic, NJ abt 1900.

Eileen Russell, (); Hamilton, New Zealand
SCHIEFERMULLER, PICHLER, Loretto - to Yorkshire England late 1850's returned
to Loretto 1880's.

David R. Schmaldienst; (), Hegins, PA - Joseph SCHMALDIENST and
Juliana SIMANDEL. Deutsch Kaltenbrunn. Settled in Allentown, PA.

John Shinpaugh; () Norristown, PA. SCHINPACHER or
SCHENBECHER or SCHOENBACHER. Neutal. Settled: Montgomery County, NC. Note:
Ancestor, Lorenz Schoenbacher, born Neutal (Bezirk Oberpullenndorf) arrived
in NY in 1777 as a Hessian mercenary from Hesse Kassel.

Mary Short; (); Roseville, MN. NEUDAUER, TRUMER, MULLNER,
FLEISCHACKER. Village not known.

George Steinrigler; ()Calgary AB, Canada. Johann STEINRIGLER
(Steinriegler), born 1907 Bubendorf (Oberpullendorf). To Canada (Paisley
Brook Sask.) in 1927.

Beth Tanzosh, (), Westfield, NJ. Matthias TANCZOS, from Sulz.
Lucy SAGMEISTER.(?), POANDL, Eberau (?).

Fritz Tarnok; (); Glendale, N.Y. TARNOK, MIKSITS, Sulz and
Gerersdorf. To NYC and Allentown, PA.

End of Newsletter

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF
Co-ordinator & Editor Newsletter> (Gerald J.
Berghold; Winchester, VA )
Burgenland Editor> (Albert Schuch; Vienna
& Kleinpetersdorf, Austria)
Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson, )
Internet/URL Editor> (Anna Tanczos Kresh;
Butler,PA)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research>(Fritz
Knigshofer)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland> (Frank Teklits)
Home Page> (Dean Wagner), (Bill Rudy)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-
Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest
Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached from Home Page hyperlinks)

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

WORLDGEN WEB BURGENLAND QUERY BOARD
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Austria/Burgenland
All Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted, but Give Credit.

This thread: