BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L ArchivesArchiver > BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER > 1999-08 > 0936102494
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 63A dtd 31 Aug 1999
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:28:14 EDT
THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 63A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND FAMILY HISTORY
(issued biweekly by
Ausust 31, 1999
This second section of the 3 section newsletter is the ninth installment of
The Teklits Translation of "Volk an der Grenze ..." (People on the Border),
the history of the Croatians in Burgenland, written by Johann Dobrovich. We
are bringing you most of this book in serial form. The second part of chapter
27 and the first part of chapter 28 are included in this issue. They cover
Neighboring Hungary, Northern Burgenland and Western Lake Neusiedl. It also
contains Member Changes.
PEOPLE ON THE BORDER
by Johann Dobrovich, translated by Frank Teklits
(with assistance of Albert and Inge Schuch)
printed via email by permission of the publishers
Chapter 27 (continued) -Neighboring Hungary
The western parts of the small Hungarian lowlands bordering on the District
of Oberpullendorf were also badly damaged during siege of Gns. Except for
the already mentioned villages of Pressing (Peresznye-Prisika), Siegersdorf
(Horvatzsidany-Zidan), Bleigraben (Olmod-Plajgor), and Temeten
(Tomord-Temerje), the Croats began settling in 1537 in 18 robbed and
devastated villages. Andrew Perneszi from Schtzen (Sopronlovo) wrote about
these Croats in 1574 to Emperor Maximilian II.
"After the capture of Sziget by the Turks, I came with my family to Schtzen
and built a Castle here. That is why more than 600 farmers fled before the
The Croats who fled here came partly from the Una River area, partly from
western Slavonia, and the precincts of Zagreb (Agram). Surnames indicate that
a part of these refugees settled here in the neighboring villages of
Nikitsch, Kroatisch Minihof, and Kleinwarasdorf.
The Croatian village of Kohlnhof (Kophaza-Koljnof) that belonged to the city
Domain of denburg (Sopron) was completely deserted in 1531, and its
territory initially leased to the Croats from Baumgarten for several years.
Only 18 owners of whole, half, and quarter sessiones lived in Kohlnhof in
1552, and from a total of 12 farmers, there were 7 German and 5 Croats.
According to J. Hazi, Croatian surnames already were a majority among the
vineyard owners in Kohlnhof in 1559, and in 1715 there were 35 Croatian
surnames, 2 Hungarian and 20 surnames. (Acsady 1715) The Croats discovered
a strong Hungarian population segment in Klein-Andre (Hidegseg-Vedesin), as
22 of the 35 subjects in 1559 were of Croatian descent (from the Urbar of
Sarvar). The Croats were the majority in a previous time period, before
Hungarian families became predominant again.
>From a spoken language point of view, both Klein-Andre and Amhagan (Homok)
which had fewer Croatian surnames then Klein-Andre in the 16th and 17th
centuries had to be defined as Croatian villages. The Croats of both villages
spoke the Kaj dialect, which delineates the area of Zagreb (Agram) within
The Croat municipality of Undten (Und-Unda) was a subsidiary of the Croatian
parish of Nikitsch according to Visitation from 1646. In 1720, Undten had 19
Croatian, 2 German and 16 Hungarian named families.
Adolph Mohl alleges that in 1663 the inhabitants of Heiligenstein (Hegyko)
were Hungarian and Croatian. The Croatian minority was insignificant however
in relation to the Hungarian population. Mixed speaking localities, in which
the Croats constituted a majority or a minority, were:Gross-Andre (Endred -
Endrisce). In 1557, the aforementioned Croatian surnames from Gross-Andre in
the Deutschkreutz Weinzehent register were in the majority. An altar cloth
with a Croatian inscription was found according to the Protestant Church
Visitation of 1631. The church provost said that their ancestors brought it
with them from Velike in Croatia.
Kleinzinkendorf (Kiscenk-Mala Cenka). According to a document of 1553, the
Croat farmers Peter Kovacics, Nicholas Kralich, Michael Pastrich, and Michael
Chermetich left their ruler, Ladislaw Szalay, and settled in the village of
Kohlnhof that belonged to the City Domain of denburg. They still found
occasional Croatian surnames in Kleinzinkendorf in 1537 according to
information from Hirlap Soproni from February 21, 1937.
Perestagen (Peresteg). The village name of (Prosteg-Weit) refers to a Slavic
origin according to Adolf Mohl. Families with Croatian names (Vasarich,
Kirkovics, Lovranics, Ivancsisc, Praznik, Derdak, Pinezich, Zubrics, Sinko
etc) still live in the community today, and all of these are old established
farmer's families. As per the Urbar of Sarvar, the immigration of the Croats
took place in the 17th century and 7 Slavic surnames are encountered in 1608
within this community. According to (Acsady 1715), 47 families with Hungarian
and 18 with Croatian surnames came to Perestagen.
A Croatian immigration was already evident in Sopronszecsen in the 16th
Century. According to Jeno Hazi, the Croats constituted a strong minority
among the vineyard owners where it shows 9 families with Hungarian names and
10 with Slavic surnames in 1720.Acsady also asserts the same for the years of
1715 and 1720 where several Croatian Flurnamen are still preserved (Duzina,
Kamenjak, etc). Unfortunately Acsady's results are only at our disposal for
Petohaza, which lists 12 Croatian, 6 Hungarian, and 2 German names. One can
conclude from it that the Croats forced the Hungarian population into the
minority here also. A strong Croat minority was formed in the neighboring
community of Schltern (Suttor).The Urbar of Szeplak of 1594 mentions 54
surnames, 9 with Croatian names, 8 Horvath's and 10 Toth's. The surnames of
Horvath and Toth constituted half of the Croat inhabitants of the village
Fertoszentmiklos. St. Nicholas also received a Croatian influx from the lower
Ikava River in the 16th century. The Croatian family names listed here among
the vineyard owners already represented a significant minority there in 1557
according to Jeno Hazi. The surnames of Horvath and Toth constituted
approximately 1/4th of all families in the census made between 1560 and 1584.
The villages of Csapod and Himod, situated some distance from the
above-mentioned communities, received a slight immigration of Croats in the
16th Century. Several Croatian surnames from the village Csapod are listed in
the Deutschkreutz Zehentregister (1/10th part tax on crops and bred cattle)
in 1557. The Urbar of 1584 from Szeplak included the names of Horvath and
Toth who constituted 1/4th of all families. In 1715, Acsady counted 17
Hungarian and 2 Croatian surnames in Himod, where Adolph Mohl mentions an
alley that still carries the Croatian name of Jedina today. Mohl also tells
us of a narrow alley called "Jedan" in Bosarkany that even today still has
families with Croat names, e.g. the family Kursics.Schtzen (Lovo-Livir):
Jeno Hazi found some Croatian surnames for 1557 in Schtzen, that by 1559
including the names of Toth and Horvath that already constituted a slight
one-third of all surnames. The Protestant pastor of the community was Matthew
Muschits. In 1631 the Croats demanded that they be preached to in their
native language. The Church congregation owned a printed Croatian Graduale (a
song) in this year. John Gubaschitz, a Croat, was the minister of the
community during the time of the Counter-Reformation. We find in this place
even today many Croat surnames such as Babic, Jagodic, Juranic, Milkovic,
Music, Nadaric, Palovic, Radic, Sedenie, Stefanic, etc.Croatian refugees,
such as the families Gracol, Horvath, Podar, etc, lived in Gissing
(Kovesd-Kevesd) before the Turks. Gissing also possessed a Croatian Graduale
in 1631. Adolph Mohl reports that according to the Visitation of 1631 those
from Heiss (Kaptalanvis-Visija) were former Hungarians and Croatians. In
1715, there were 26 families with Hungarian surnames, and 5 with Croat names,
but in 1720, 20 Hungarian, 2 Germans, 4 Slovaks, and 4 Croatian surnames were
counted.According to the oldest sources one finds occasional Croat family
names in Lindgraben, Schwabenhof, Drassmarkt, Steinberg, Oberloisdorf,
Lockenhaus, Liebing, Rattersdorf, Roggendorf, Strebersdorf, Lutzmannsburg,
Raiding, Ritzing, Neckenmarkt, Girm, and Deutschkreutz, Grosszinkendorf,
Holling, Pinnye, Losing, Ebergoc, Szeplak, Agyagos, Vitnyed, Hovej,
Tschapring (Csepreg), Wichs (Buk), Horpacs, Ujker, Ivan, Csomote, Beled, and
Chapter XXVIII- The Northern Burgenland and the Western Lake Neusiedl
This region is comprised of two Districts, the larger and easterly situated
District of Eisenstadt and the westerly located District of Mattersburg. The
ancestors of the Croats living here found acceptance in the five Domains
existing at that time, namely in the Domains of Eisenstadt, Forchenstein
(owned by an Earl), Hornstein, Landsee, and in the Domain of the city of
The Urbars for this area before the 16th and 17th centuries include the
Urbars of the Domain of Eisenstadt for the years 1515, 1527, 1569, 1588, and
1675. Urbars of the Grafschaft (a Domain ruled by a Count) of Forchenstein of
1569 and 1675, Urbars of Hornstein from 1561 and 1563, and the Urbar of the
Domain of Landsee for the years of 1627 and 1640 complete the list. The
history of the City of denburg gives us ample narratives about the village
As in the other regions of Burgenland, the Croatian villages of these two
districts also lie in the plains. The fact that relatively many Croats found
acceptance in the plains of the Wulka can be attributed to the following
Emperor Friedrich in association with the Hungarian king Matthew Corvinus
drove out the wild and plundering Army of the elder Giskra from this area in
1463. The castles of Hornstein, Oslip, Trausdorf, and Wulkaprodersdorf were
probably destroyed during that time.Turkish Cavalry ranged throughout the
land during the siege of Wien (Vienna) in 1529, burning villages, and killing
men capable of arms, while dragging women and children into hard slavery.
Adolph Mohl says that the Domain of Hornstein had also suffered considerably
during the first siege of Vienna. Many perished because of the sword, others
were dragged into captivity, and villages rose in flames. The beautiful
church of Steinbrunn built in the Gothic style was destroyed at this time.
In 1532, a large Turkish Army moved against Wien (Vienna) again. While the
brave Nicholas Jurischitz defended Gns with his 27 Hussars and 700 farmers
who had fled into the fortress against the main power of the Turks, the
Turkish vanguard wrought mayhem in the area between the Neusiedl See and the
Rosalia Mountains. In the beginning of September, the Turkish Emperor came
with his entire military strength and remained in Eisenstadt for a few days.
General Herberstein reports as follows of the Turkish move. "Then the Turks
left Gns (Koszeg) going on to Eisenstadt, Wiener Neustadt and Hartberg, and
a Turkish record says " on the following day they encamped before Selesno
(Ed. Comment- Zelezno-Eisenstadt). This was a large city with a substantial
castle, solid walls and high bulwarks, whose inhabitants knocked on the gates
of grace and surrendered, thus sparing the Church in Eisenstadt."
(Excerpts from the history of the City of St. Martin's parish church,
Dissertation of Rudolf Sobotka, Eisenstadt 1955, pages 29 and 30.)
The inhabitants at the edge of the Leitha Mountains and Lake Neusiedl sought
refuge in the dense forests and in the reeds of the lake. A part of the
population could surely have rescued themselves by fleeing to Forchenstein,
denburg or Wiener Neustadt. Thus a whole series of villages whose
inhabitants did not take flight in a timely manner were exterminated. These
villages in which Croatian inhabitants reside today include Sigless,
Zillingtal, Steinbrunn, Antau, Baumgarten, Drassburg, Klingenbach,
Zagersdorf, Wulkaprodersdorf, Trausdorf, Oslip, and Hornstein, among others.
The Domain of Eisenstadt
>From 1491 until 1647, this imperial domain belonged administratively to
Austria, but in ecclesiastic aspects it was a part of the Diocese of Gyor
(Raab). It was transferred from 1508 to 1571 to the following Pfandherrn (one
who loaned money and received a domain as a mortgage):
Dr. Veit Von Frst from 1508 to January 3, 1515, Christoph Von Zinzendorf
from 1517 to 1527, Ernst Von Frst from 1527 to 1533, Moritz Von Frst from
1533 to March 30, 1553, and Hans Von Weisspriach from 1553 to 1571.
Emperor Maximilian II returned the mortgage sum of 77, 361 florins and 11
denari for the Domains of Eisenstadt and Forchtenstein to the heirs of Hans
Von Weisspriach in 1572.
Communities belonging to the Domain of Eisenstadt gave the following number
of florins to Emperor Maximilian: Eisenstadt-4000, Kleinhoflein-2200, St.
Georgen-200, Purbach-2500, Schtzen am Gebirge-1000, Zagersdorf-400,
Trausdorf-300, Donnerskirchen-600, Apetlon-500, and Illmitz-350 florins.
Emperor Maximilian had issued separate warranty letters for all these
municipalities in which he guaranteed that he never again sell or mortgage
the same again.
The Eisenstadt domain was governed henceforth by a Hauptmann (Captain) and a
Burggrafen (Count of the castle, who were subordinte to a Rentmeister
(Treasurer of the Domain). Burghauptleute (Supreme castle administrators) of
this Domain were, Hannibal Von Zinzendorf from 1571 to the 8th of August
1571, Seyfreid Von Kollonitsch from 1572 to 1599, John Bernard Lobl from
Greinburg from 1599 to 1609, and Leonard Hellfried from Meggau from 1609 to
Palatine Nicholas Esterhazy received the total of 400,000 florins as a
mortgage for the Domain of Eisenstadt and the Earldom of Forchenstein in
1622. The Castles of Forchenstein and Eisenstadt have been in the hands of
this once powerful family ever since this time.That Croats were settled in
the Domain of Eisenstadt before 1529 or 1532 prove the following facts:
1. A Casper Tursich (Turschitsch) appears as the first Croat in Trausdorf as
per the 1515 Urbar of 1515 of Eisenstadt, and a Croat named George Walich
(Balitsch), in Purbach. They are the first authentically proven Croats in
2. The Croatian historiographer Mate Ujevic writes on page 7 in his treatise
"Gradiscanski Hrvati" Zagreb 1934: "From 1552 until 1526, the inhabitants of
the Croatian coastal area moved from the precincts of Zengg (Senj) and from
the mountain valleys of Lika, Gacka, Krbava into the county of denburg."
3. On September 7, 1526, Queen Maria, the widow of Ludwig II, ordered the
citizens of denburg to stop the migration of the Croatian refugees through
the city, and give them shelter in the town or suburbs, so that the country
(Hungary) would not decline in population and power. (Bratislava on September
4. 22 German families lived in Oslip in 1527, in addition to 13 Croatian
families and a "Pfaff krabat" (Croatian priest). Two houses and a Meierhof (a
large farm) stood vacant. Trausdorf has 33 German families in addition to 3
with Croatian surnames. The Oslip priest, who had lived in a "1/4th" house (a
house on a quarter sessio), was the first Croatian clergyman in the former
District of Eisenstadt.
5. Half of the mill in Schtzen am Gebirge was bought by the Croat, Ivan
Post, and George Krabat bought the other half.
As was already mentioned in Chapter XIX, "Migration of the Croatians into
today's Burgenland and into Neighboring Lands", large masses of Croats left
from the imperiled regions within their homeland after 1532. Considering the
fact that in 1532 Croats were already settled in Petronell, Scharndorf,
Schnau, Gnselsdorf, Teesdorf, and Trunau near Baden in 1533, it is safe to
assume that many Croatians settled into the current Northern Burgenland
communities that were destroyed by the Turks. It should be said that in 1569
within Oslip (Uzlop) there were 54 Croats and 2 German households, while in
1675, it had already grown to 110 households of which 94 had Croatian
surnames, 14 with German names, along with a Hungarian, and an Italian
According to the Urbar of Eisenstadt, there were no Croats living in
Zagersdorf (Cogrstof) in 1527. Of the 48 families in 1569, 32 had Croatian
surnames and 16 had German surnames. In 1589, of the 40 families who lived in
this village, 31 had Croat surnames, and 9 had German names, while in 1675,
37 Croatian surnames, and 10 with German surnames are found.Trausdorf
(Trajstof). The Urbar of 1569 (the Eisenstadt half) provides the following
data: 28 households with a 1/2 sessio, 9 with a 1/4 sessio, 1 with and 1/8
sessio's, 1 with 1/8 and 1/16 sessio's, 2 farms, and 4 mills. Altogether
there were 45 households with 35 Croatian and 10 German surnames. Marr
Latitsch, the minister in Trausdorf, owned a farm according to the Urbar of
1589. The Urbar of 1675 indicates that there were 9-2/4 houses, 47 houses, 6
Hofstttler (persons with a house but no land) and 11 Kleinhusler (owners of
small houses). There were a total of 68 households of which 58 had Croatian
surnames, and 10 had German surnames.Antau (Otava), Eisenstadt half. The
Urbar from the year 1569 shows the following data, 9 full sessio's (certain
fixed portions of farmland belonging to the village), 15 half sessio's, 2 -
full sessio's, plus other fractions, 1 Hofstatt (farm), and 15 families with
German surnames and with 13 Croatian surnames.
In 1675 it shows 4 whole sessio's 22 half sessio's, one large farm, 9 small
farms, and one shepherd's house. In the year 1675 there are 4 whole sessio's,
22 half sessio's, one large Hofstttler, 9 small Hofstttler, and one
shepherd's house. 38 of the 49 households had Croatian surnames and 11 had
German surnames. Wulkaprodersdorf (Vulkaprodrstof) belonged to the Domain of
Eisenstadt and was in the eastern half. There were still no Croats living in
Wulkaprodersdorf in 1527, that included 25 German families. The Urbar of the
Domain of Eisenstadt of 1569 for this part of the village indicated that it
had 24 half sessio's, 5 quarter sessio's, 1 - 3/4 sessio, and 4 Hofsttten (a
house with no fraction of a sessio). 20 of the 34 households had German
surnames while 14 had Croatian names. 68 families lived in this part of the
village in 1675, as there were 57 Croatian and 11 German surnames. The rising
number of Croatian surnames in this village suggests a new Croatian
immigration in the 17th century.
Schtzen am Gebirge (Cesno). In 1569, there were 5 Croat families living in
this community, growing to 7 in 1580 and 16 in 1589. The Visitation
(ecclesiastical inspection) of 1651 says that the parish priest is German and
Croatian. According to Adolph Mohl, Schtzen am Gebirge had Croatian
ministers in the years 1641, 1668, and 1684. 31 of the 105 families in 1675
were Croatian.The years from 1533 to 1553 meant a period of significant
rebuilding for the Eisenstadt Domain. During this time the Pfandinhaber
(mortgage owner) Moritz Von Frst obtained only a small benefit from this
Domain, whereas the subjects had difficult times under the reign of Hans Von
Weisspriach from 1553 to 1571. The farmers could recover financially only
after the retraction of the Domain's stringent requirements via the imperial
chambers, where the Robot and payments in kind were calculated more humanely
on the royal properties.
Lee Keippel; (), Reno, NV; KAIPEL (KEIPPEL); Riedlingsdorf
(leaving the net)
Stephen Timar; (), Bronx, NY. TIMAR, VESZELOVITS. Szentpeterfa,
Hungary. To the U.S. in the 1930's, settled in New York City. (mail returned)
Jolan E. Fagerberg -address was , now
Sue Carver; (); Minneapolis MN. LANG, DEUSCHITZ (Teusich),
WALLASICH, YANKOVICH, KRIST, Pama. MILLERSCHITZ, Kitsee. To St. Louis, MO.
Sarah Domster; (), Buffalo, NY. DOMSCHITZ, Mosonszentpeter
(Mosonmagyarovar), Hungary. Jacob settled in Dayton, Ohio, then Lockport, NY.
Angela Dodds, ( ) Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Canada
KROPF, BUTTER, KORBLER, LUKITSCH, BAK, KREN, Henndorf, a little village
church close to Henndorf called Marie Bild , near Jennersdorf. JAINDL, KAHR,
FEITL, HUEBER, GIEFERL, LUGITSCH, HODL, FERSTL, ( Furstenfeld, Loipersdorf,
Magland, Hatzendorf , in Styria), Heiligenkreuz. Parents emigrated to
Saskatchewan in the 30 's
Edward Dukarm; (), Ingram, Tx. BERGMANN & BRIX from
Bohemia to Wallern 1860s to St Paul, MN.1919-20, Ramsey county.
Carol Hansen; (); Downers Grove, IL. MAYERHOFER, Neustift a. d.
Lafnitz, Grafenschachen; HATZL, Grafenschachen, Unterwaldbauern; LUIF,
Unterwaldbauern. Settled in Chicago, IL and East St. Louis, IL between
Charles Klucsarits;(); Italy (USAF).
KLUSARITS, (KLUCHARICH), Gssing. To Coplay/Hokendauqua, PA.
Mary ( Strobl) Morey, (); North Liberty, IN. STROBL
TRIMMELL, FISHER/FISCHER Neckenmark - GROSS/GROSZ, SCHNEIDER, PERSCHY,
KLUBENSTEIN BAUER, ZWICKL, MAX; Frauenkirchen - MORE/MOREY, LUTERAN, TOTH,
SZUCH, KERTESZ, PALLAY, DLOSZEGI, KOBLOS, Austria/Hungary.
Marietta Neumann; (marietta @hutchtel.net); Silver Lake, MN. SHERMAN
(Schermann), FASCHING, KAPPEL, BATES (Poetz), Deutsch-Gerisdorf. Settled in
the Winsted, MN.
Chris Reicher; (); Chicago, IL. REICHER, WESSELLY(VEZELY),
Kleinpetersdorf, KOELLER, LENCS, GARGER, REINISCH, Moschendorf, Gssing.
Settled in Chicago c. 1924.
Richard Schmalzer, (); Verona, WI, SCHMALZER, KLEPITCH,
Hannersdorf. Settled in Chicago.
Judy Smith; (); Concord, CA. TABELLI (DABELLI),
GUMHALTER, Litzelsdorf, Bezirk Oberwart. Gottfried Tabelli and Frances
Gumhalter married April 16, 1913, Buffalo, NY.
(End of second section, newsletter continued as no. 63B).