BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 64 dtd 15 Sept. 1999
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:24:48 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 64
(issued biweekly by
September 15, 1999
(all rights reserved)

"If I am to live only with my equals, then I must go down into the tomb of my
ancestors and stay there forever." [Francis II of Austria]

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) To join, see our homepage.
We can not help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are
appreciated. This first section of the 4 section newsletter contains a report
of the Minneapolis Picnic (also reported in the Oberwart Zeitung), an article
concerning Albert Schuch and the 120th Anniversary of OZ, plus a series of
articles concerning Nobility Along the Border and Noble Families of Szt.
Peterfa.

We have so much material to share that this edition requires four sections, a
BB first. As this much material can result in an information overload we hope
we can return to our normal three sections with the next issue.

THE SECOND ANNUAL MIDWEST BURGENLAND BUNCH PICNIC (from Susan Peters)

The Second Annual Midwest Burgenland Bunch Picnic was held Sunday, 8 August,
1999 from 10:00AM until 3:00PM at Wabun Park in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It
was a perfect day for the picnic, partly cloudy and in the mid-70s. It
couldn't have been a nicer day. Many more people attended this year than last
(52). They ranged in age from Hap Anderson's 6 month old granddaughter, Aleda
Hoover, to Dorothy Johanson, nee Grassinger, who is 88 years old. Dorothys
father, Johann Grassinger, immigrated to the United States in 1888 from
Lebenbrunn. We were so pleased to have Dorothy with us. She flew in from
Seattle, Washington, along with two of her sons, Tom and Ron, and Toms
daughter, Wendy. Truly honored guests.

There were people there from all over Minnesota; and also, South Dakota,
Wisconsin, Florida, and California. Several people attending the picnic made
special efforts to get there. Joe Weber was in Minneapolis from California
to visit family and attend the picnic. During the course of his stay, his
wife, who had stayed back in California, had taken ill. Joe rushed to the
picnic for 20 minutes on his way to the airport to try to get home as soon as
possible. We wish Joe and Mrs. Weber our best. Mike Kirchmeier was at a
family reunion in South Dakota the day before the picnic. He left there at
9:00PM thinking he would drive part of the way, get a hotel room to sleep for
the night, and get up and continue his trip the next morning. Unfortunately
for Mike, by the time he decided he would stop, he could find no vacancies at
any hotels. He drove most of the night and finally slept in his truck for a
couple of hours in the parking lot of a grocery store before he came to the
picnic. I think this shows just how important we Burgenlanders take our
heritage and families.

There were also some amazing discoveries made during the picnic. Renee Van
Heel, who doesnt do genealogy, but knows her family came from Apetlon,
decided to come to the picnic with her mother, Helen. Also at the picnic, as
it turned out were their second cousins who they hadnt seen for years. As
they sat talking with Mike Kirchmeier, Mike produced a wedding picture that
appeared to be from around the turn of the century. He didnt know who was
in the picture, so he was asking around. As it turned out, it was Renees
grandparents and Helens parents. Renee has the exact same photograph
hanging on her living room wall. Mike and the Van Heels are probably
related, but it wasnt determined at that time quite how. Renee discovered
much about her heritage without even trying! Jill Johnson, who researches
the Tschida line from Pamhagen was able to find some records she had been
looking for and was able to identify some photos thanks to Jim Wienzetl who
is researching the Wiensetl family in Pamhagen.A fun addition to the picnic
this year was the drawing for our first door prize generously supplied to us
by Albert Schuch. It was a lovely book, titled "Burgenland" by Werner
Scharnweber. Dorothy Johanson chose the winner who turned out to be Larry
Zierhut of Minneapolis. Marietta Neumann from Silver Lake, Minnesota
surprised us with a Burgenland taste treat for all to share. It was poppy
seed strudel from her favorite Mexican baker!

Some of the surnames and villages being researched and represented at the
picnic were Grassinger, Weber and Schlegel from Lebebrunn, Kogl and
Steinbach; Stifter, Fasching and Schermann from Gerisdorf and Salmannsdorf;
Mollner, Koppi, and Kaintz from Wallern and Pamhagen; Gangl, Leurer, Graisy,
and Bauer from Illmitz and Pamhagen; Kirchmeier, Lentsch, Peisser, Pollreiss,
Tsacher, Steiner, and Thuringer from Podersdorf and St. Andert; Fink,
Schneider, and Knebel from Wallern and Apetlon; Leurer /Leier from Wallern;
Schmidt and Bacher from Sankt Andra and Frauenkirchen; Halbauer, Deutsch,
Sommers, Graisy, and
Eberstorfer from Wallern; and Zierhut, Bierbaum, Lunzer, Theiler, Neuberger,
and Sattler from Zanegg, Hungary, St. Peter, and St. Johan.

The picnic was a big success with everyone renewing old friendships and
meeting new friends and relatives. What more could be asked for on a
beautiful summer day? We honor our ancestors by our interest and research.
Plans for next years picnic, approximately the same time and place are
already under way.

(ED NOTE: Susan also prepared a list of attendees, their family names and
villages. Since it was sent to all attendees it is not shown here. Hap
Anderson also supplied a .jpg file image of a picture of the attendees. If
any BB member researching the Lake Corner -Northern Burgenland- would like a
copy of either of the above, please let him know.)

Albert Schuch writes: Gerry, Hap, Susan; just wanted to tell you that today's
edition of the Oberwarter Zeitung printed the article I sent them about the
upcoming BB picnic in Minneapolis. Title is "Burgenlndertreffen in Minnesota
(USA)" (Burgenlnder-meeting in Minnesota). I scanned the article and sent a
jpg-image to Susan Peters earlier today, will send copies of the article to
her by mail.

The first half of the article is about the picnic, the second is about Susan
Peter's ancestor Ladislaus Grassinger. His emigration story is probably one
of the first well documented cases, so I wanted to make this known in
Burgenland too. For your information, I am including the text of the article
as I wrote it (there are a few minor changes in the printed version, as the
article was slightly shortened to fit into two columns (= 1/2 page).

BURGENLAND EDITOR ALBERT SCHUCH FEATURED IN OZ 120TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Upon opening a recent copy of the Oberwart Zeitung (OZ number 32/1999; the
120th anniversary issue), I was pleased to find a picture of our much
appreciated Burgenland editor. It accompanies a profile which takes up the
right hand column of page two. Albert researched and wrote the historical
part of this edition (pages 6-12 and 17-26 and 28). Back in the early days of
the formation of the Burgenland Bunch, Albert found us as he was surfing the
net. Since then his articles and translations have never stopped. How
fortunate the encounter. It didn't take us long to ask if he would serve as
our Burgenland Editor, a position he graciously accepted and has superbly
filled. I estimate that over a third of our material has flowed from his busy
computers. His knowledge of Burgenland history and archives and his fine
command of English have been invaluable. In addition, we have the help of his
sister Inge who is a professional translator. Between them they have
effectively broken the language barrier that for so long separated the
descendants of "auswanderers" from the "heimat". Albert's many Austrian
contacts have also brought other contributors to our newsletters and enlarged
our membership.

I was fortunate in being able to meet Albert in person last February during a
short trip to Vienna. I found he was every bit the erudite gentleman that his
email suggested. Other BB members have frequently been helped by Albert and
have often copied me. For new members who may not know of Albert's many
contributions, I list just a few: Father Leser Village Translations, Albert's
Village List (translated and rearranged), Village Translations from Volk und
Heimat and other archival sources, articles in OZ and Pannonia, translations
of historical terms for Dobrovich's Burgenland Croatian History, OZ
Genealogy Notices and many other references culled from Burgenland and
Viennese archives. Having Albert on our staff is like having a private line
into the Libraries of Vienna and Eisenstadt and the Burgenland archives.

As some of you may know, Albert fulfilled his Austrian military obligation
from 28 Sep 1998 - 27 May 1999, during which time he made sure that we still
had a good backlog of material for publication. He now continues to pursue
his doctorate at the University of Vienna as well as writing for other
Austrian publications. We are most grateful and fortunate in having his help.
A translation of his OZ biography follows:

TRANSLATION of biographical information column:
Albert Schuch, Vienna-Kleinpetersdorf/Burgenland. Born 1970. Education:
Primary school in Kleinpetersdorf, high school in Oberschtzen, university in
Vienna. Earned half the necessary credits for business administration and
law degrees (equivalent to a BA in the U.S.A.). Earned an MA in history and
German language studies (1997; thesis on the history of mining in southern
Burgenland). Currently working on his Ph.D. (thesis on the history of early
industrialization in western Hungary). Study break in 1998/99 to do his
military service. Has published articles on issues of economic and social
history in historical and educational journals, e.g. in "Burgenlndische
Heimatbltter" and "Volk und Heimat." Has contributed reports to the
Burgenland weekly newspaper "OZ" since 1999. Since 1997 he has been the
Burgenland Editor of the Burgenland Bunch. As such he is involved with an
Internet organization of descendants of emigrants and Burgenlanders who are
researching their family histories and who are interested in the history and
culture of the Burgenland.

THE NOBLES OF SZENTPTERFA (by Frank Teklits)
The people who conquered or settled the present land of Hungary, are referred
to as the old nobles. In the middle ages of Hungary, the higher classes of
people were the nobles. The nobles inherited the title or were given the
title because of heroism or some important activity performed on behalf of
the nation. The privileges were, among other things, that they did not have
to pay taxes and did not have to perform manual labor for the state. In case
of war, however, they did have to participate. These privileges stopped in
1848, but they kept their title and still owned their land until 1945. Some
of the Croatian people who migrated into Szentpterfa already were of the
noble class, but their names are unknown. In later years, a few of them
received noble rank through subsequent acts of bravery and heroism.

In 1554, there weren't any noblemen in Szentpterfa. In 1570, there were
four (4) nobles in Zenthpterfalwa, but we do not know their names. In 1588,
there were still four (4) living nobles in Szentpterfa. It should be
remembered that between 1557-1613, the Zrinyi Family were the rulers of that
area, including Szentpterfa.

The first noblemen we know of in Szentpterfa received their rank from King
Rudolph II (1576-1612) in Prague on April 2, 1601. Teklics Lukcs, his
father Gergely, his brothers, Teklics Gyrgy, Mtys, Istvn, Mark and
Gyrgy, Jr. were the first ones to receive noble status. The Teklics emblem
has a blue background with a griffin with open wings. He is holding a sword
with a tight grip, and in the left leg he is holding a decapitated Turks
bloody head.

The family Teklics was bestowed with the noble status in 1601, but it wasn't
made public until 1607 in the County of Vas Megye. In 1658, there were eight
(8) noble families in Szentpterfa. According to their names, six (6) were
Croatian and two (2) were Hungarian.

In 1696, the census showed there were only two (2) noble families: Johannes
Arvay and Nicolaus Teklics. In 1717 and 1726, the Teklics family had to
prove that King Rudolph II on April 2, 1601 gave them noble rank and
presented them with their family crest.

In 1728, Conscriptio Regnicolaris (census) mentions 3 nobles in
Szentpterfa.. Nobiles Functos colonicantes possidentes( noble
landowners) and there is reference of the heirs of Joannes Arvay,
Sigismundus Niczki, Nicolaus Teklics, Sr. In 1733, in the Hungarian notary
book it is noted that a Teklics Miklos lived in Szentpterfa, Vas Megeye. In
1754, there are four (4) Teklics families among the nobles in Szentpterfa.
In the same year, also see Teklics Miklos and in 1781-1782 the census showed
only the Teklics descendants among the noble class.

In 1835, the census in Szentpterfa showed there are eight (8) nobles, four
(4) from Teklics family and also Blaskovits Mte (Priest), Czuppon Jozsef,
Barilovits Jnos and Barilovits Miklos. In the same census, the other
villages also mention Teklics families: In Mrbisch, Teklics Jozsef; In
Croatia, Molnriban (Zala Megye), widow of Teklics Jnos, and in Stegersbach,
Teklics Gyrgy (Priest). In 1845, the census shows 25 nobles from
Szentpterfa. The 25 names on the list are: Maria Knopf widow of Nobilis
Antalne Teklits accredited to Nobilis. Janos Teklits Nobile Francisca Teklits
(cleared) accredited to Nobilis Josef Szuppan, Nobile Maria Teklits (cleared)
accredited to Nobilis Mr. Josef Teklits, Nobilis Janos Teklits
Nobilis Alojsia Teklits (cleared) accredited to Nobilis Miklos Barilovits Sr.
Nobilis Josef Szuppan, Nobilis Janos Teklits Sr., Nobilis Josef Teklits Jr.,
Nobilis Sandor Teklits, Nobilis Ferencz Teklits, Nobilis Janos Teklits Sr.,
Nobilis Ferencz Brilovits Sr., Nobile Julianna Brilovits (cleared)
accredited to Nobilis Ferencz Brilovits Sr., Nobile Anna Brilovits
(cleared) accredited to Nobilis Ferencz Brilovits Sr., Nobilis Istvan
Brilovits, Nobilis Ferencz Brilovits Jr., Nobile Eva Teklits accredited to
Sandor Teklits, Nobile rsbeth Teklits (cleared) accredited to Nobilis Josef
Teklits Jr., Nobilis Lszlo Csky, Nobile Anna Brilovits (cleared)
accredited to Rev. Matyas Blskovits (Priest), Nobilis Josef Teklits Sr.,
Nobile Rosalia Teklits (cleared) accredited to Janos Teklits Jr., Nobilis
Janos Csnyi, Nobilis Istvan Vass, Reverend Matyas Blskovits (Priest)

SOME COMMENTS CONCERNING HUNGARIAN NOBILITY (Editor)
Those who have been following our articles concerning the settlement of the
Burgenland know that some families (particularly Croatian and Hungarian) were
granted noble status for acts which aided the state or the crown. This was
especially prevalent along the border where Croatian and Hungarian families
were settled to act as "buffer" or "shatter" zone militia during time of war.
Such ennoblement differed from that in England or France where a fief or land
was frequently conveyed along with a title. Only in rare cases did this occur
in Hungary. What was granted, as the Teklits article states, were "nobile"
status and the freedom from taxes and robot service which accompanied it,
plus the right to own land. (Prior to 1848 only the nobility could own land).
Correspondence from John Levandoski (later) mentions these differences.

Records concerning such status were important both to the grantee and the
Herrschaft and as a result many have survived. The following will identify
some. If you find a clue to "nobile" status in any of your LDS church or
civil records, it would be well to look further as Teklits has done. It's
very possible you may extend your genealogy considerably.

Fritz Knigshofer writes: Nobility in Szentpterfa. Frank, Let me now send
you the information I had noted when recently visiting the Hungarian National
Library. My main intent had been to look this information up for John
Levandoski....Let me repeat what the book "Vas Vrmegye 1835.vi Nemesi
sszirsa" (Vas Census of Nobility in 1835) by Dr. Klmn Horvth, as edited
in 1935 by Mikls Schneider, has to say. For Szentpterfa, this census
listed Antal, Jnos (sen.), Sndor and Jnos (jun.) Teklits, Jnos (sen.),
Jnos (jun.) and Mikls Barilovits, and Jzsef Czuppon. Also listed as a
nobleman is the parish priest of Szentpterfa, Mt Blskovits. Other noble
members of the Teklits family in Vas county are the following: In Megyes
(Szombathely district), Jzsef Teklits is listed, but the entry states
"Horvtorszgban lakits" (which I interpret that at the time of the census in
1835, this Jzsef Teklits actually lived in Croatia); in Molnri, the widow
after Jnos Teklits is listed; and also listed as a nobleman is the parish
priest of Szentelek (today's Stegersbach in Burgenland), Gyrgy Teklits.

The book by Gyula Balogh, "Vasvrmegye Nemes Csaldok" (Noble Families of Vas
County), of 1901, page 256, states that the Teklics [sic] received their
nobility on April 2, 1609 by emperor (not king as I had written earlier)
Rudolf II, in Prague. No place of living for these initial nobilized Teklits
members is stated, and I did not note the first names (but they are stated in
the book). A coat of arms is described. As "Flmutatta" (heads of the noble
family?) in 1733 are listed: Mikls and Ferencz Teklits in Szentpterfa, and
Jnos Teklits in Rohonc (Rechnitz,
Burgenland).

The book on the Nobility of Pest County by Sndor Kszegi also has an entry
on Teklits. I am now not sure about my notes but they seem to state that the
Kszegi book under Teklits has references to "Polgri Perek fasc. 69 no. 5,
and fasc. 200, no. 105." [I am not sure about the meaning of Polgri Perek,
but it might mean "court cases," or "official nobility enquiries?"]

Finally, the book by Palatinus "Vasvrmegyei Nemes Csaldok Trtnete"
(History of the Noble Families of Vas County) of 1911 mentions a Jursich
Jnos in connection with the noble Boda family, and a Jurisich Mikls in
connection with the noble Chernel family. These mentioning's are both part
of much Hungarian prose on these two families, and not understandable for
me. In my notes, I found another reference to Teklics [sic]. This is from a
book written by Illssy and Pettk in 1895 (I did not note the title). It
states that the Teklics family of Vas county received a letter of nobility
dated Vienna, October 12, 1763. The entry also makes reference to an index
(of letters of nobility??) "XLVI.453." Perhaps the time will come when we
will know the meaning of this reference and you might be able to track down
the actual nobility patent.

John Levandoski writes: Nobility in Szentpterfa. Gerry and group, I am also
very excited for Frank and he and I have been talking about this topic. I
even ordered all the relevant nobility items which the LDS has in order to
check out the Teklits connection firsthand. I did find one other source
though which I did not check out for Frank, but which he may now have, and
which you may want to cite for your article. These are the so-called "proofs
of nobility" which the Empire kept in a year by year series (Albert may be
able to elaborate). The LDS had apparently filmed them and also the
directories of these guides (it is apparently a 2 part process to find which
film one's desired records are on). These would not cover the original grant
of nobility, but they would cover the subsequent "proofs" like the one in
1763.

I have not seen one as yet, but if they are "proof" they likely contain a
pedigree of the line going back to the original ancestor who was granted the
patent of nobility (Germans call such noble lines "brief Adel" meaning
literally "letter nobility" and the "alt Adel" of more ancient vintage,
10th-14th century for example, whose nobility stems from "time immemorial" as
the saying goes, tend to view these other "brief Adel" families as
Parvenus...even one from 1604 !!!!).

I was very interested in working with Frank on this subject because I have
been working on my father's Polish roots for 2 years as well as my mom's
Burgenland connections. My father happened to be descended from a very long
line of the polish "minor nobility" which were as numerous as the Hungarian
version of the same (up to 8% of the population in both Poland and
Hungary...as compared to 2% in France and less than 1% in England).

Because of this, I have acquired a bit of expertise on the subject of
Continental nobility and heraldry (which is VERY different from the English
system).

I have been fortunate to trace several of my father's lines back to the
1300s, and many, many lines back to the 1500s. For one particularly
interesting line, I know that the original progenitor came to Poland in 1096
from Silesia and I even know his name, but I only can pick up my direct line
of descent in about 1400.

The status of "noble" was a legal one which brought numerous privileges and
responsibilities. It is WIDELY misunderstood by the American public at large
and greatly vilified by our "democratic" society, so I don't typically
publicize my link because I fear it sounds to some people like bragging, and
because I have seen some very boorish Americans of supposed noble descent
also act quite insufferable on the topic and I don't want to be associated
with that sort of thing. I am reminded here of Charles II's famous line: "I
can create a Duke, but only God can create a gentleman".

Your Editor writes: I've been following subject correspondence with great
interest. It appears to me that Frank has been rewarded for all his
translation efforts. Couldn't happen to a nicer person. This is a tremendous
break through. I believe this is the first connection to the 1500's in our
group that I'm aware of. As John Levandoski says-this puts Frank in the
Mayflower group (if not earlier). I've always thought that any of us who
could connect to the nobility would find even earlier records (viz. the
genealogy Fritz also found). While I'm not an heraldic expert, I've seen
numerous sources and works concerning arms, the lesser nobility, etc.
Unfortunately we find more concerning English arms than any other. Not to
belittle Frank's connection, what little I've studied told me that there are
more arms patent in Hungary than anywhere else, mostly due to this method
being used to reward service to the crown. Since a patent of nobility granted
real benefits such as exemption from taxes, robot service, etc. , but also
required some social and civil obligations, records were kept. It's finding
these records that could advance our family history even further.

While not applicable to many of our family searches, I would like to do an
article on this subject and would be interested in any further additions or
comments. I'd particularly like to produce a list of sources (I'm familiar
with the LDS material concerning this subject) such as Fritz and John have
already mentioned. In the same way that Urbars and Canonical Visitations
mention family names, it's just possible that patents of nobility may also
provide ancillary data through the definition of minor Herrschafts, etc.

(ED. NOTE: More data concerning this subject will be published in coming
editions.)

(End of the first section. Newsletter continues as 64A)

This thread: