BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Archiver > BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER > 1999-09 > 0937401915


From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 64A dtd 15 Sept 1999
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:25:15 EDT


THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 64A
DEDICATED TO AUSTRIAN-HUNGARIAN BURGENLAND FAMILY HISTORY
(issued biweekly by
September 15, 1999

This second section of the 4 section newsletter is the tenth installment of
The Teklits Translation of "Volk an der Grenze ..." (People on the Border),
the history of the Croatians in Burgenland, written by Johann Dobrovich. We
are bringing you most of this book in serial form. The second part of chapter
28 is included here.

The Earldom of Forchtenstein

The Earldom of Forchenstein belonged administratively to Austria, from 1491
to January 19, 1626, but remained ecclesiastically under the Diocese of Gyor
(Raab). The Earldom was in the hands of the Hardegg family at the time of the
immigration of the first Croats to Drassburg. Emperor Maximilian sold the
Earldom of Forchtenstein for 24,000 Rhine guilders to Heinrich Pruschenk in
1495, who was the Earl Heinrich of Hardegg mentioned in the documents;
however the Emperor reserved the right to re-purchase it for himself. After
the death of Earl Heinrich, Forchenstein went over to his son, who gave the
Earldom to Johann Cristoph for 5 years in 1520. After this sequence of
events, it was ceded again into the hands of Earl Johann however for only 4
years, who then transferred the properties to his wife.

Up to 1533 Count Julius of Hardegg, the brother of Heinrich, was the owner of
the Grafschaft (Domain owned by a Count). In this year he mortgaged it to
Jacob Von der Drr, with the approval of Emperor Ferdinand I, under the
condition that the Emperor could take it back at any time after settling the
remaining mortgage value.

Jacob Von der Drr, the new mortgage holder of Forchtenstein, was an old,
proven soldier who gave all of his attention to his possessions. He did not
ignore the dreadful misery of his subjects after the Turkish invasions of
1529 and 1533, and alleviated their difficulties as much as possible. Jacob
Von der Drr settled Croats with favorable terms in the populated localities,
as there were already 600 subjects in 1537 who were mainly Croats out of
southern Bosnia.

Jacob Von der Drr did not intend to retain the Earldom for his lifetime, and
endeavored to sell his possessions. With the consent of King Ferdinand,
Cavalry Captain Erasmus Teufel acquired Forchtenstein with Weisspriach's
money, and in the spring of 1546, he handed it over to Weisspriach, also with
Ferdinand's approval.

A document of King Ferdinand I shows us how Weisspriach came to this domain.
The wife of Weisspriach lived on the farms of King Ferdinand as the Lord High
Stewardess, and as the educator of the children of Ferdinand. In this
position she had acquired earnings which obligated her to the sovereign
family.

After thirteen years in a benevolent Domain, the Knights of Von der Drr as
well as the Croatian subjects of the Earldom came under the money greedy
Weisspriach for 22 difficult years. Weisspriach was able to exploit the
Earldom as he desired since it had been left to him without any conditions.
He sold not only the Earldom's houses, but also its fields and meadows, and
because he didn't keep an accurate real estate register, there were many
errors in the Urbar as well as in the book of vineyard land registrations.

Conditions changed in Forchtenstein after the death of King Ferdinand. The
complaints of the subjects of the Earldom reached the throne of the Emperor
Maximilian, which led to a reprimand of Weisspriach, and finally to the
redemption of the Earldom.

The villages in the Earldom of Forchtenstein contributed their redemption
costs in the following way. Mattersburg gave 3,000 guilders, Breitenbrunn
2,200, Grosshflein 2,000, Steinbrunn 200, Zillingtal 250, Krensdorf 600,
Forchtenau 250, Mullendorf 200, Pottsching 500, Pamhagen 400, Wallern 200,
Wiesen 200, Sieggraben 150, Haschendorf 100, Marz 100, Schattendorf 300,
Zemendorf 50, Stotter 200, Antau 150, Drassburg 80, and Trausdorf 100
guilders.

After the redemption, Heinrich Von Zinzendorf managed the Earldom for a short
period of time, followed by the 17 long years of Seyfried Von Kollonitsch.
John Bernhard Lobl and Leonard Hellfried were the supreme castle
administrators for 22 years. In 1622, the Castle of Forchtenstein along with
the villages came into the possession of Nicholas Esterhazy, who along with
the Earldom also received the rank of Count.

The Croatian Villages of this Earldom in the 16th and 17th Centuries:

Sigless (Ciklez). After 1532, the village consisted of 8 whole sessio's
(certain fixed portions of farmland belonging to the village), 18 half
sessio's, and 2 farms. Sigless still belonged to the Earldom of
Forchtenstein, but it was under the control of Jacob Von der Drr.When he
sold it to Erasmus Teufel, he retained Sigless should the village revert to
the Earldom after the death of Weisspriach, which probably occurred after
1570. Von Rappach was the proprietor of this village in 1569.

According to the 1675 Urbar of the Earldom of Forchtenstein, Sigless had 23
half sessio's, 48 quarter sessio's, 2 old Kleinhusler (a person who does not
own a sessio), 27 new Kleinhuslern, and 1 mill. 57 of the 71 farmers had
Croatian surnames, and 14 had German surnames. 6 of the 30 Kleinhusler had
Croatian surnames, 24 had German surnames, and the miller's family was also
German. In the 16th century, the ratio between the Croats and German families
placed the Croats in the majority.

Zillingtal (Celindof). In the Urbar of Earldom of Forchtenstein from the year
1569 is the following often-said remark: " This village was entirely deserted
previously and is resettled with Croats."We can assume from this sentence
that similar conditions prevailed in Sigless, Steinbrunn and in other
communities as they were in Zillingtal after 1532. The Earl of Forchtenstein
had the right to appoint the priest of the parish of Zillingtal. In 1569,
there were 20 whole sessio's, 8 half sessio's, and 2-three-quarter sessio's
in Zillingtal. There were 7 Hofsttten (a house with no part of a sessio or
land), and 20 new settlers. 28 of the farmer's families had Croatian surnames
and 2 had German names. 21 of the 27 Kleinhusler had Croatian surnames while
6 carried German names. A whole sessio consisted of 34 Joch Aecker (5755
square meters of arable land and meadows). Zillingtal had 57 houses in 1569,
while in 1589 there were 65 houses.The Urbar from the year 1675 provides the
following data. There were 13 whole sessio's with the parish rectory,
5-three-quarters sessio's, 31- half sessio's, one - 1/8th sessio, one - 3/8th
sessio, one - 5/8th sessio, 16-quarter sessio's, for a sum total of 68
sessio's. It also showed 38 Kleinhusler, and 1 Meierhof (large farm). 60 of
the 68 farmers had Croatian surnames, while there were 7 German and one had
an Italian surname. 31 of the 38 Kleinhusler had Croatian names and 7 had
German names.

Steinbrunn (Sukapron). Adolph Mohl writes in his paper "Szarvko es urai";
that some who were under the Frst family came from Steinbrunn to the Castle
of Forchtenstein, and that Croats were settled in Steinbrunn during the reign
of this family. Moreover says Adolph Mohl, that according to the Urbar of
1561, Steinbrunn was at one time almost entirely Croatian. The Earl of
Forchtenstein had the right to appoint the priest of the parish of
Steinbrunn. According to the Urbare of 1588 and 1589, the village had 2 whole
sessio's, 4 - _ sessio's, 12 half- sessio's, 1 - sessio, 1 Hofstatt (farm),
1 half-Hofstatt, 1 mill, 1 priest, and 23 houses. The size of a full sessio
was 24 square measures (a measure = 5755 square meters) of arable fields and
meadows, and 6 Tagwerk (an area that one person could work in a day) in a
wine garden. The size of a half sessio was 12 square measures of arable
fields and meadows and 6 Tagwerk in a wine garden; a whole Hofstttler (a
person that owned a house & land, but less than an Achtel) had a small
garden. Joseph Breu includes Steinbrunn and Zillingtal in the list of
deserted communities, those totally deserted villages that were later
resettled again with Croatian settlers.

Drassburg (Rasporak). An article from Vjekslav Marhold (Nasa Domovina, 1933,
pages 73 to 75) provides us additional information about the history of this
village. From it we learn that the Counts of Forchtenstein, Paul and Wilhelm,
were the owners of this village in 1433. Paul Vardai, the Archbishop of Gran
at that time, gave a part of this village to Thomas Nadasdy. 37 farmers
belonged to this feudal estate during this period of time. Furthermore, the
greater part of the village remained in the hands of the Counts of
Forchtenstein. We find from a Drassburg subject of Emperor Karl VI, that the
first ancestors of these Croats had already settled in Forchtenstein by 1517,
and even earlier in Drassburg. The Drassburg farmer's complaint drawn up
after 1734 gives us an insight into the feudal system at that time. Baron
Mesko, the new owner of the former Nadasdy section, demanded intolerable
services from his new subjects under Hungarian law, whereas the Drassburg
farmers wanted to pay only those taxes which were prescribed for them in the
Urbar of 1675 according to the previous Imperial custom.

In 1588 and 1589, Drassburg had 5 whole sessio's, 8 half sessio's, and 1
quarter sessio. There were 12 Hofsttten, besides 4 mills, a parsonage, and
31 households. A whole sessio had 25 measures of arable fields and meadows
and a Tagwerk in the meadows. A half sessio had 12 measures of arable fields
and meadows and a half-day of Tagwerk in the meadows. A quarter sessio had 5
measures of arable fields and meadows and a half-day of Tagwerk in the
meadows; Hofsttten had a house but no part of a sessio or land. An Edelhof
(large farm) owned by the Nadasdy family with 37 Holden (people who do not
own farmland) belonged to the village, as well as 2 Pfarrholden (people with
houses on church land) who were newly settled on the grounds of the parish.
There were a total of 71 houses in the community.

Trausdorf (Trajstof). Forchtenstein subjects. On March 16, 1537, the envoys
of Ernst Von Frst, mortgage holder of Eisenstadt, and the Knight Jacob Von
der Drr, owner of Forchtenstein, agreed that Ernst Frst would receive from
Jacob Drr the village of Antau and the devastated village of Weichslgut
(located between Prodersdorf and Trausdorf). In return, Drr would receive
Trausdorf from Frst. According to the 1569 Urbar from the Earldom of
Forchtenstein, the Earl had the right to appoint the priest of the parish of
Trausdorf. Trausdorf consisted of 27 half sessio's, 10 quarter sessio's, 1 -
quarter and a sixteenth sessio, 1-eighth and sixteenth sessio, and 2 farms in
1569. 33 of the 41 households had Croatian surnames and 8 had German
surnames. 2 of the 4 miller families had Croat surnames, while the other 2
were Germans. The Urbars of 1588 and 1589 show no whole sessio's, 12 half
sessio's, 14 quarter sessio's, 3 whole Hofsttten, 3 mills, and 1 parish
house for a total of 33 households. There were 51 Holden in Eisenstadt in
these years. Half sessio's consisted of 15 Joch Acker and 2 Tagwerk in the
meadows. Quarter sessio's consisted of 8.5 Joch Acker and 1 Tagwerk Wiese,
and whole farms had 3 Joch Acker and 2 Tagwerk. There were only 3 households
with German surnames in 1589. Marx Latitsch, the minister, owned a Hofstatt.
In 1675, a rectory was here in addition to 41 fiefs and 4 Kleinhuslern in
the part of the village that belonged to the Earldom of Forchtenstein. In
1675 there were in this part of the village a whole sessio (that belonged to
the rectory), 8 half sessio's, 1 three/eighths sessio, 27 one-quarter
sessio's, 4 one-eighth sessio's, and 3 Kleinhusler. In addition, there was a
schoolhouse, a community guesthouse, 3 mills, for a total of 51 households,
of which 47 had Croatian surnames and 4 had German names.

Croatian Minority Communities of this Earldom
Grosshflein (Velika Holovajna). This village was still lightly settled in
1569,10 of the 13 sessio's held German surnames, and 3 had Croatian names.
All of the 9 farmers had German surnames, and the 4 miller families were also
German. In 1589 Grosshflein consisted of 2 whole sessio's, 2 three-fourths
sessio's, 48 half sessio's, 12 one-quarter sessio's, 13 whole small farms, 1
mill, 1 bathroom, 9 foreign Holden (3 from the ruler of Khrnberg), 6
Pfarrholden (houses on land owned by the parish), a minister and a school.
The total number of houses in the community amounted to 90.A half sessio had
18 Joch Acker and 20-24 Tagwerke in wine gardens. A one-quarter sessio's had
9 Joch Acker and 12 Tagwerk in the wine gardens. The Hofstttler owned no
land. There were 82 sessio's in the community according to the Urbar of 1675.
60 of the owners had German surnames while 22 had Croatian surnames. 49 of
the 51 Kleinhusler had German surnames, as did 7 of the 8 Sllner
(inhabitants owning no land).

Mullendorf (Melindof). In 1569, 7 of the 35 sessio's, 2 of the 9
Kleinhusler, and 3 of the 7 Holden were Croatian. According to the Urbar of
1589, this village had 3 whole sessio's, 20 half sessio's, and 16 quarter
sessio's. In addition to the 11 Hofsttten (a house with no part of a sessio
or land), it had a mill, a butcher shop, 5 foreign Holden (3 of which were
from the Lord Von Rappach, and 2 from the Lord of Khrnberg), a parish and a
school. The total number of houses amounted to 59. A whole sessio consisted
of 46 Joch Aecker and 1 newly planted vineyard. A half session consisted of
23 Joch Aecker and a newly planted vineyard. A quarter sessio consisted of
10.5 to 12.5 Joch Aecker. 13 of the 67-sessio owners had Croatian names in
1675, and all of the 39 Sllnern were German.

Krensdorf (Krenistof). It can be proven that Krensdorf also had a Croatian
minority in the 16th and 17th centuries. 6 of the 40 households in 1580, and
4 of the 47 owners of properties including houses in 1589 had Croatian
surnames. The Visitation (ecumenical inspection) of 1641 noted that the
inhabitants of Krensdorf could speak German and Croatian. 16 of the 67
farmers in this community had Croatian surnames according to the Urbar of
1675.

The Domain of Hornstein
This Domain belonged administratively to Austria from 1491 to 1647, but for
ecclesiastical purposes, it belonged to the Diocese of Gyor (Raab).The owners
of this Domain included:Dr. Veit Von Frst from 1504 to 1515 Ernst Von Frst
from 1515 to 1533 Moritz Von Frst from 1533 to 1553 Hans Conrad Von Frst
from 1553 to 1561 Knight Leonard Pchler from 1561 to 1567 Pchler's widow
and her son Maximilian from 1567 to 1582 The Pchler Heirs from 1582 to 1590
Baron Ruprecht Von Stotzingen from 1590 to 1600 Georg Von Stotzingen from
1600 to 1614 Octavian Adolf Von Stotzingen with brother and sister from 1614
to 1631 Octavian Adolf Von Stotzingen alone from 1631 to 1642 John Rudolph
Von Stotzingen from 1642 to 1648 Count Frank Nadasdy from 1648 to 1671 The
State Treasurer (Fiskus) from 1671 to 1702 The Frst Esterhazy Family from
1702.

Dr. Veit Von Frst came from Germany, who was an honorary doctor of the
University of Tubingen, and bought the Domain of Hornstein in 1504 from his
nephew Ulrich Grafeneck. 4 years later he became the mortgage holder of the
Domain of Eisenstadt. Since he received the rank of Stadthauptmann (town
captain), he moved to Eisenstadt where he died. Because he was childless, his
brother Ernst was his heir, followed by his sons Moritz and Hans Konrad.The
Turks devastated the Domain of Hornstein twice during the time of Ernst Von
Frst, the first one occurring in 1529, and it was also severely battered
during the siege of Vienna. In 1561, 32 years after the Turkish siege,
Seibersdorf, which belonged to this Domain, consisted of only 12 rebuilt
houses and a Meierhof (large farm). The Church in Leithaprodersdorf was also
destroyed, as well as the Johannes Chapel in Loretto that was built by
Kanizsay in 1431. But after three years, the Turks emerged for the second
time, as Nicholas Juraschitz stopped them this time for 4 full weeks at Gns.
After the conquest of denburg, the Sultan remained in Eisenstadt until the
end of August, whose surroundings had just been devastated by troops carrying
out a scouting raid. From there, he dispatched envoys to Emperor Karl V.
Then came the fatal withdrawal of the rearguard of the Turkish Army through
Styria. According to Adolph Mohl, all earlier Visitation documents were
destroyed during the two Turkish drives of 1529 and 1532, and were in fact
eradicated even in Gyor (Raab). Ernst Von Frst settled the Croats in
Hornstein and on his property in Stinkenbrunn (today's Steinbrunn) after the
retreat of the Turks. The exact point in time of this settlement is unknown,
however Adolph Mohl places the time of settlement in the year 1536.The Knight
Leonard Pchler purchased the property of Hornstein along with the fortress
for 13,200 guilders from the widow of the last Von Frst, and the purchase
agreement is dated March 27, 1561. Before he gave his consent to sell,
Emperor Ferdinand had ordered the drawing up of a new Urbar. According to
this newly written Urbar, the following belonged to the Hornstein Domain:
There were 64 houses in Hornstein, 75 in Leithaprodersdorf, and 30 in
Wimpassing. In the Stinkenbrunn (today's Steinbrunn) portion of the village,
there were 30 houses 28 houses in the Hornstein half of Wulkaprodersdorf, and
50 houses in Pottelsdorf. Croats were settled in Hornstein, Stinkenbrunn, and
Wulkaprodersdorf.

Adolph Mohl writes in support of Dr. Wiedemann's work in Volume 4, pages 417
& 418, in his treatise "Die Einwanderung der Kroaten im Jahre 1533" (The
Immigration of the Croats in 1533) that the minister of the Hornstein Croats
in 1544 was Neurschi, while in 1597 however it was Paplitsch. The domain
owners treated the village priests cruelly, akin to common serfs; but thanks
to the clerics exemplary life and ardor, the inhabitants remained firm in the
Catholic faith. In 1563, 64 families lived in Hornstein (Voristan). Two
farmed on whole sessio's, 42 on half sessio's, and 20 on quarter sessio's,
the priest was given a half sessio, and 52 of the 64 households had Croatian
surnames. These conditions suggest that Hornstein must have been almost
deserted during the period of time of the new settlement. "A purchasing
estimate is very informative concerning the settlement of the Croats in the
Domain of Hornstein. This estimate that might have been prepared in 1561 says
that the village of Markt Hornstein contained 64 houses and a Meierhof (a
large farm), as it was founded in this `55th year. Croats inhabited the
majority of these houses. If we equate the number (55) with the year1555,
then we can set the time of the Croat immigration into the Domain of
Hornstein." (Dr. August Ernst, Allgemein Landestopographie, Volume II.) The
Urbar of 1563 shows 29 sessio's to be in the Hornstein half of Steinbrunn
(Stikapron). Five of which were full sessio's, 3-three-quarter sessio's, 17 -
half sessio's, and 4- quarter sessio's. 27 of the 29 households had Croatian
surnames while the remaining had German names.Wulkaprodersdorf
(Vulkaprodrstof). The Hornstein section of Wulkaprodersdorf had 30 families
in 1563. 21 of them had German surnames and 9 were Croatian. 23 of the total
of 26 sessio's were whole, 2 were half sessio's, and 1 was a quarter sessio,
in addition to 3 Hofstttler, and a mill. According to the Visitation of
1597, George Ladmitsch, the minister, worked here since 1557, and he preached
in German and Croatian." 25 Joch Acker and 2/4's of a wine garden belonged to
the rectory. Furthermore, each owner of a half sessio gave a measure of heavy
and light corn annually to the minister. "In 1675, the former Hornstein part
of the village was assigned to the Earldom of Forchtenstein. There were a
total of 35 sessio's in the Forchtenstein section in this year, of which 1
was a whole sessio, 10 were half sessio's, and 24 were quarter sessio's.
There were 8 Kleinhusler, 1 blacksmith's shop, and the ministers' wine
cellar. 32 of the 44 households had Croatian surnames and the other12 were
German.

The Domain of Landsee
An abridged version of the history of this Domain is contained in Chapter
XXVII, "The District of Oberpullendorf and the Adjacent Parts of Hungary".
The small villages of Rohrbach and Siegendorf located in the Districts of
Mattersburg and Eisenstadt also belonged to this Domain. Baumgarten gave the
Order of Saint Paul along with other possessions to Ulrich Grafeneck and his
son Count Wolgang Grafeneck in 1475. Upon the requests of the daughter of the
founder, Elizabeth, the Baumgarten monastery was placed under the Order's
Residence in Wandorf along with its other properties in 1526. The monks left
the burned out monastery in 1493 and moved into the Order's residence in
Wandorf. The Baumgarten monastery was totally destroyed by the Turks in
1529 and 1532, and after the withdrawal of the Turks, Hans Von Weisspriach,
the owner of Landsee, took over the monastery, and its associated properties.
The first Croats had already settled in both Siegendorf and Baumgarten before
1528. An occurrence from the year 1528 has already been stated: A Christoph
from Aspang stole two oxen from a Croat in Baumgarten and pawned them to
another Croat in Siegendorf for around five pound denarii. Since the Croats
of neighboring Drassburg are already verified as being there in 1517, the
Croats of Baumgarten, Siegendorf, Drassburg, Oslip, Trausdorf, and Steinbrunn
belong to the first Croatian settlers of this region. Since the village of
Rohrbach belonged to the same Domain as Siegendorf and because at that time
the District of Mattersburg was sparsely settled, it can be assumed that the
first Croats in Rohrbach immigrated at the same time as the Croats in
Siegendorf. Unfortunately, we have no precise data for Rohrbach until 1627
and no data at all for Baumgarten and Siegendorf until 1640.The Urbar of the
Domain of Landsee from 1627 identifies 44 Sessionalisten (full farmers) in
Rohrbach (Orbuh), of which 36 had Croatian surnames and 8 had German names.18
of the 32 Hofstttler had Croatian surnames, and the other 14 had German
names. 6 Holden had German surnames. 54 of the total of 82 families were of
Croatian descent and 28 from German lineage. The fact that the portion of
those with German names among the Hofstttlern is higher then among the
Sessionalisten (full farmers), and greater among the Holden (Sellner) than
among the Hofstttlern, indicates that by 1627 a German immigration was
already under way. Since the Croats already constituted 2/3rds of the
population in Rohrbach in 1627, the proportion must have been more favorable
for the Croatian population in the 16th century. Thirteen years later
according to the 1640 Urbar of Landsee, 51 of the 95 families who lived in
Rohrbach had Croat surnames, while the other 44 had German names. The
municipal judge was a Croat. The number of Croatian named inhabitants' fell
by 3, while the German named increased approximately by 16. The former
Croatian nationality disappeared from this domain in the 18th and 19th
centuries. The last Croat of this municipality, a blacksmith, died in the
first years of this century, and he received a Croatian burial in accordance
with his wish.

Baumgarten (Pajngrt). It is evident from a testamentary input of April 11,
1529 from Peter Aichelsperger, the tailor in denburg, that Baumgarten had a
minister in this period of time. In 1535, the Baumgarten Croats leased a
Hotter (village territory as a whole) "large section of fields by the Unten"
located in denburg. These two pieces of information suggest that Baumgarten
must have been well settled in the years 1529 and 1535, because its
inhabitants leased a larger number of properties in the denburg Hotter.


Baumgarten had 39 households in 1640 according to the Urbar of Landsee. Of
the listed family surnames, there were 36 Croatian surnames, 2 German and 1
Hungarian name. Of the 39 sessio's, 1 was a whole, 2 were three-quarters, 7
were halves, 29 were quarters-(1/4), 6 were one-eighth, 3 were one-quarter
and an eighth sessio. A school teacher taught in a room above the vestry in
the community, where he also lived. According to the Urbar of Landsee, there
were a total of 135 families in Siegendorf (Cindrof) in 1640. Of the total of
135 surnames, 116 of them were Croatian, 16 German, 2 Hungarian, and one had
an Italian surname. The Urbar showed 1 whole sessio, 3 three-quarters, 24
half, 40 one-quarter, 5 one-eighth, 2 one-sixteenth's, 3 one-eighth's and 1
one-quarter sessio's. 47 Hofstttler lived in the community. The minister
owned a half sessio, and a schoolhouse also existed.

The Domain of the City of denburg
More villages belonged to the City of denburg that were subservient to the
city, such as the villages that were in the Earldom of Forchtenstein were
subservientto the Counts of Forchtenstein. These villages were Agendorf,
Wandorf, Harkau, Klingenbach, Loipersbach, Wolfs, Kohlnhof, and Mrbisch.

The city of denburg purchased Klingenbach (Klimpuh) on July 13, 1418 for
around 500 Viennese pounds from the Viennese citizen John Weispacher. In
1672, the City of denburg sold Klingenbach to the Bishop of Gyor (Raab),
Georg Szechany, on the condition that the city could buy it back again for
the original purchase price. Ten years later the Bishop gave Klingenbach to
the Jesuits of Gns from whom it was bought back again by the city in 1698.
Klingenbach was a German community before the settlement by the Croats. A
Missal printed in Gran (Esztergom) in the year 1500 that is in the Gyor
Diocesan library, provides proof that Germans lived in Klingenbach in 1515. A
note written in German is found on the first page from Frank Pankratius who
was the priest in Klingenbach at the time, that the former minister owned 5
Joch of ground, 2 wine gardens, 3 gardens and 3 meadows. Furthermore this
Missal certifies that Klingenbach already had a Croatian priest named George
Sokovits in 1542. Written in this missal in 1542 in Cyrillic script were the
Croatian "Vaterunser" (The Lord's Prayer) and later an Easter song
(Osterlied), except for the last two sentences of the "Our Father" which were
written with Glagolithic characters.

14 Fronbauern and 10 Sllner lived in Klingenbach in 1558 for a total of 24
Croatian and German families, and our source indicates that the number of the
Croats increased as a result of a new settlement. Klingenbach with the
villages specified above belonged under the sovereignty of the city of
denburg until 1848 or 1853. According to Hungarian law the Fronbauern
delivered a ninth of their harvest to the city of denburg, and performed 52
days Robot annually, in addition to other duties and taxes.
(Will be continued in newsletter 65A. This newsletter continues as no. 64B).

This thread: