BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 64B dtd 15 Sept 1999
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:25:35 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 64B
(issued biweekly by
September 15, 1999

This third section of the 4 section newsletter contains some thoughts on
Copying Church Records, Hungarian Border Villages of Vasalja and Jak, More on
Spelling of Names, Parish Addresses, Village of Mhlgraben, data concerning
Ormrod, PA; Village of Steinfurt, Link With "Europahaus", and a report on the
Pittsburgh Sommerfest.

COPYING CHURCH RECORDS

It's unlikely that any of us have microfilming equipment or the time to take
it to the Burgenland and copy church records. We leave this to the LDS. All
of my copying has been "writ by hand". Now computer technology adds a new
tool as we've seen in John Lavendoski's recent trip where he copied all of
the St. Peterfa church records by using a digital camera. I asked John the
following questions; his replies follow:

John, would you please tell me:

o the type of equipment you used to copy the St. Peterfa records?

Answ.- A Cannon megapixel camera the A450.

o the approximate cost per page (film?)

Answ.- No film, only a reusable digital card which holds 96 high resolution
photos. After 96 shots, I downloaded the whole card to my computer and
re-formatted the card, then started over again.

o processing costs?

Answ.- same as normal film, but I will not be having them processed like
film. I am going to have high resolution printer copies made and then have
these microfilmed by a local lab.

o the average amount of time required to copy a page (or some other
measurement)?

Answ,- Each page took about 3-4 seconds.

o the most efficient team arrangement to copy the records (2 people-one
turning pages?)

Answ.- One person is fine. Two are only nice when the pages are all folded
together or wrinkled. That way one person can sort of "straighten" the
pages, as Albert did for me in Eisenstadt.

o any special lighting, frames or other requirements?

Answ.- Light from a nearby window is the best. No special overhead lights
are recommended.

o post copying effort to capture via computer?

Answ.- Just a simple "copy" click from Windows like from a floppy. The film
card from the camera pops out and goes into a PCMIA holder which then goes in
the same kind of port as any laptop modem. Software comes with the camera to
allow WIndows downloading and post processing.

o I assume your method is faster and and much more efficient than microfilm?

Answ.-No, it isn't. I would have MUCH preferred a microfilm set up since the
film is VERY cheap and very crisp. The camera platforms are very big however
and inconvenient for travel. Also I was afraid that they would "scare" the
priest and other officials. My little hand held digital unit was much less
"threatening" I think. Quality is very good for some things, but microfilm
would be the best solution.

o What I'm wondering is whether we could purchase equivalent equipment and
hire someone in Austria to copy all church records pre 1828? Maybe even talk
the Archives into doing it with our help (copy for them, copy for us). Just a
wild thought and there would be many questions to answer. Might not even be
feasible and the cost might be beyond our means (or the desire of the
members-I don't know how many are serious about pre 1828 records), but with
enough people at so much a head you can get a lot done; never know until you
look into it. We might even get a partial grant somewhere. FTM (Broderbund)
still sends me grant brochures. I also don't know what the LDS is doing in
our area.

Answ. -Such a project is very feasible, but permission will be a bear I would
imagine. It would have to come right from the Bishop I believe. Albert's
connections could help, but we are talking a LOT of work and an experienced
camera person is a must. Microfilm is fast though since about 50 double
pages can be done a minute. (I only got really great results when I shot
single pages so this would double the time at a minimum even if the shots
themselves did not take 3-4 seconds.) I specifically asked in EIsenstadt if
any plans were underway to microfilm these records and the answer was "no". I
would love it if we could make it happen. This would be a VERY worthy effort.

HUNGARIAN BORDER VILLAGES (from Hizi Atlas by Fritz Knigshofer with the
publisher's permission; atlas availability is mentioned in newsletter no.60).

Here are two more village descriptions from the Hiszi Atlas for Vas County.
Let me also tell you that nearly identical village descriptions as in the
Hiszi Atlases can also be found on web site
http://testver.sednet.hu/e_home.html/
However, for some reason the village descriptions for Vas County have not yet
been loaded onto the web site (with one or two exceptions).

Vasalja. The village situated along the Pinka stream was first recorded in a
document from year 1418. Its church originates from the age of the rpd
dynasty and is dedicated to King St. Stephen. The former village part
Pinkaszentkirly owes its name to this patron saint of the village
(Szentkirly = Holy King). The old peasant house at Kossuth Street no. 50 is
a valuable protected relic of folk architecture. The population today
numbers 338.

Jk. The settlement's name first appears in a document from 1211, but it may
be of much earlier origin. St. George's church built in the 13th century by
the Jk clan as well as nearby St. James's chapel are internationally
recognized edifices of the late Romanesque style. The foundations of the
clan's castle and donjon, erected in the period of the rpd dynasty, have
recently been uncovered and identified on the site of the former abbey.
Several residences of the 18th and 19th centuries can be found in the
village. Jk was once famous for its potteries. The population is 2,225.

MORE ON SPELLING OF NAMES (from Bob Schatz)

( Ed.-in reponse to a previous article which concerned "s" and "sz" name
endings). Bob writes: I'd like to point out that in Hungarian "sz" is
pronounced "s"; while Hungarian "s" is pronounced "sh", and "cz" is
pronounced "ts". The SZ ending was probably written by an ethnic Hungarian
(i.e., Magyar) priest or other official, since, to his eye and ear, spelling
the name as NIKLES would have meant it was pronounced NIKLESH. I have often
found many spelling variations on my own family names. It seems that the
Magyars were rather conscientious and respectful, and attempted to spell
surnames as they would have been pronounced. I don't think this indicated a
serious attempt at "Magyarization" - when that did happen with family names
they were directly translated into Hungarian (e.g.: Schatz [treasure] to
Kinc). I would also not put too much weight on the various spellings.
Official records, then as now, often did not reflect the usage or practice of
the people.

SOURCE FOR BURGENLAND PARISH ADDRESSES (from Albert Schuch)
Write to: S.g. Herrn Pfarrer, Mag. Josef Prikoszovits, A-7142 Illmitz, Austria

Source (for addresses of ALL Burgenland priests, parishes and Catholic
institutions) is:
"Burgenlndisches Jahrbuch" (current edition: 1999), published yearly by:
Dizese Eisenstadt, Pastoralamt, St.-Rochus-Strasse 21, A-7000 Eisenstadt,
Austria. (Ed. Note: Also check the Burgenland Telephone Directory-under your
village look for "Pfarramt-Rm-kath or Evangelisches AB" (Catholic or
Lutheran parish office). The village post office codes are in the front of
the phone book.

VILLAGE OF MHLGRABEN
(Ed.-when I receive queries for villages not previously covered through
Leser or Volk & Heimat, etc. articles, I prepare data from sources available
in my library, this is another).

Muhlgraben (Hungarian name Malomgdr) is south east of Graz, Styria, just
west of Minihof- Liebau. It is almost on the border with Styria. A small
farming community dating from 1387 when it was called Mechnuk,
1555-Milihgrom, 1698-Milgrom and 1751-Mllgraben. A refuge for Lutheran
refugees from Styria in the 1600's. Still an important Lutheran congregation.
It's in the Bezirk (district) of Jennersdorf since 1921 (Szt. Gotthard prior
to that), has about 437 inhabitants and is therefore the smallest community
in the district. I'm particularly interested in it because some Bergholds and
Kornheisels lived there in the 1800's. I haven't linked to them as yet since
my people came from Poppendorf-Heiligenkreuz a little further north. People
went to church in Neuhaus am Klausenbach (Hungarian Dobra). The civil office
(Gemeindeamt) is also located there. The church records 1828-1896 are
available from the LDS as microfilm numbers 0700747 (Lutheran) and
0700745-746 (Catholic) and 0700622-626 (civil records 1895-1920). I have a
small cookbook recently published by the women of Mhlgraben, "Der
Elternverein".

VILLAGE OF ORMROD, PA (suggested by Bob Geshel)

Bob writes: ....I'm trying to find the location of Armrod, PA. Have you ever
heard of it, or know someone who is familiar with the town? I found my
parents marriage certificate and it listed that town as his birth place. I
can't find any mention or reference to it. I'm going to the Mesa branch of
the Mormon Family History Center in a few days and it would help if I knew
where it was so I could review the town's census records.

My answer: Bob, I write a lot about "phonetic" spelling of village names in
the Burgenland. Yours is the first I've encountered in PA. Your Armrod must
be Ormrod, a locality near Allentown now absorbed by North Whitehall
Township. That would be Lehigh County.

It is still shown as a locality on my Lehigh & Northampton County Street and
Road Map (1995) but it's not in the index. It lies nw of Allentown, north of
Ruchsville, north of Quarry Street and the old quarry which is now called
Ranger Lake. It's near the junction of Old Post Road (Rt 329) and Levans Rd.
The streets in Ormrod shown on the map are Limestone Street, Hill Street,
Portland Street, Quarry Street and Levans Rd, Main and 2nd Street are shown
on other maps, looks like some streets had two names. Ironton is just west.
Egypt east. The Zip code is 18057. There is an Ormrod Playground Association
and Ormrod Salvage Co. in the Allentown phone book with addresses shown as
Main Street and 2nd Street, Ormrod. Ormrod has almost lost its identity
geographically but I think you'd find it mentioned in the 1910 or 1920 census
for Lehigh County (I believe it's in 2 parts). If you have trouble finding
your family in the census, I'd also try Ironton and Egypt.
Lehigh Portland Cement had an operation there which they closed in 1958.
During WWII, they made a splash when they filled many trainloads of war
effort iron scrap by salvaging an abandoned cement mill. George Ormrod,
Allentown entrepreneur, was one of the founders of the Lehigh Portland Cement
Co. in 1897. (data from Allentown 1762-1987 , 225 Year History, Hellerich,
Lehigh Co. Historical Society).

As I may have told you before, I used to fish in the Ormrod Quarry which is
why the name struck a bell. Good luck, Gerry Berghold

CORRESPONDENCE RE SHARING KORNFEIND DATA (from John J. Kornfeind )
I wanted to share this with you and the others I have sent this attachment. I
just finished reading your comments in No. 60B on sharing. I want to thank
Bill Stubits for helping me make contact with Ann. I do not know of a
connection between Ann's Kornfeind ancestry of Pornoapati and my ancestors
from Hannersdorf. It is interesting to look at a map of this area and see
that these two communities are both along the Pinka stream. I have also been
following with great interest The Teklits Translation of "Volk an der
Grenze...". Also in No. 60 it was ironic to see a paragraph on the history
of Pornoapati. Others have asked if I knew of the Kornfeind Meat Market
(Northampton, PA). Well I know a little more now and I am in the process of
constructing a snail mail letter to Ann. In May of 1998 I received a note
from Anna Kresh...

Anna wrote: PS: John, from my childhood I remember a KORNFEIND Meat Market
in Northampton, PA, where my parents settled. Any connection? I also
remember my parents mentioning the name KLEPPITCH. "

Others have also commented to me on this and I just wanted to kindly ask if
others of you who have touched on this subject with me have any other
thoughts that might enlighten me. I certainly feel that there may be some
Burgenland-Croatian connection.

A surface correspondent writes: John, I received your e-mail from my
daughter. My dad was the owner of Kornfeind's Market in Northampton for 60
years. He was born in 1894 as Aloysius Kornfeind in Pornoapati, Hungary, the
border of Austria and Hungary. His father was Franciscus and mother was
Agnes Schlaffer. He immigrated to the U.S. when he was 11 years old and was
in Northampton all of his life till he died in 1982. He had three sisters,
Agnes, Theresa and Mary whom he brought to the U.S. and they also lived here
until they died. I have a brother, John living in Naperville, IL and he tells
me there are a great number of Kornfeinds in his area.

We never knew that Kornfeind was such a popular name. There were only two in
our area over the years but never knew where they originally came from.
Please write me at 228 E. 7th Street, Northampton, PA 18067. I do not have
internet access. Ann Kornfeind Paluda

SOME CORRESPONDENCE CONCERNING RIEDLINGSDORF (from Barry Keippel)

Barry writes: Thought I'd pass this letter along from Dee. You're always
looking for things that make the Bunch worthwhile, and this just shows it.

Familie in sterreich und Amerika wiedervereinigen!
From: Dee Schjerven <>
Subject: Riedlingsdorf, Austria. To:
Hi Barry, After reading your Old Country page and all the familiar names, I
decided to look up my family tree and it could be that we are 32nd cousins.
My uncle, Tobias Schuh was the director of schools and he researched our
family tree through the Lutheran church in Pinkafeld. He took it back to the
1700's and on my tree I see a Susanna Kaipl, No. 20 married to Matthias
Zapfel on February 17, 1784. This was the family tree of Susanna Schaden, my
grandmother, who married Johann Schuh. All the names are so similar, it's
difficult to get to the right family. However, the fact that you had house
number 20 made me think that perhaps there was a relationship. I still have
relatives there and, in fact, have a cousin that lives in house number 18. So
the Tunkel's could be neighbors. Small world, isn't it? If you would like a
copy of that portion of our family tree, I'd be glad to share it with you.
Dee Schjerven

VILLAGE OF STEINFURT (suggested by Markus Prenner)

Steinfurt in Bezirk Gssing is now part of Strem along with Deutsch
Ehrensdorf and Sumetendorf. Settled in the 16th Century by Croatians it was
called Lipovac. In 1785 it had 170 inhabitants. It was a Batthyany
"Meierhof". It was not included in the Leser Series of villages in Bezirk
Gssing and information is scarce (I found one paragraph in "Gssing im
Wandel der Zeit", K&P).

Member Markus Prenner (), born and raised in
Gssing and Strem and now a school teacher in Horitschon, mentions that his
father (Dr. Kurt Prenner) has a hand written history (an "Ortschronik") of
Steinfurt which had been handed down in the family. Too voluminous for
translation, Markus offers to answer Steinfurt related queries (by passing
them on to his father). We've also asked Markus to write a short historical
article - based on his father's chronicle.

LINK WITH EUROPAHAUS (suggested by Albert Schuch)

The BB means different things to different people. Some are exclusively
interested in family history, only desirous of extending their family tree.
Others want to know more about Burgenland history, customs and culture. In
addition to lists of Burgenland descendants, our membership also includes
members of academe as well as links to related cultural organizations. In
this way we try to meet all objectives.

In studying the Burgenland of today we find not only a tremendous revival of
interest in historical culture (viz. folk music, ethnic heritage, "Hianzisch"
dialect, etc.) but a considerable interest in the arts and culture of middle
Europe in general. Almost as if we are migrating to a new and modern
"Pannonia". A number of organizations, generally unknown in the United
States, are being formed (or have been active for sometime) to promote such
interest.

"Europahaus", a cultural institution in Eisenstadt, under the guidance of
Hans Gttel is one such organization and they have asked to be included in
our mailing list. Herr Gttel is from Gttenbach in Southern Burgenland. The
journal "PANNONIA" (no. XXVI), which I recently received from Albert Schuch,
has a special section contributed by the Europahaus, called "polis pannonia"
. We're happy to have this new cultural link.

Europahaus Burgenland - Hans Gttel (manager); ();
Domplatz 21, A-7000 Eisenstadt, Austria; cultural and educational
organization.

GERMAN/AUSTRIAN/SWISS SOMMERFEST (from Anna Kresh)

On Sat. Aug. 28th, my husband and I attended the German/Austrian/Swiss
Sommerfest '99 at Station Square in Pittsburgh which was held on Aug. 27 -
29. I bought some brochures I thought you would like to read. I am sending
you the following via U.S. Mail:
- the program for the Sommerfest (red)
- a brochure entitled "The Austrian Nationality Classroom" (gold)
- a brochure entitled "Historical, Cultural and Scientific Highlights of
Austria" (white)

The University of Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning (see picture inside back
cover of the gold brochure) has classrooms decorated and furnished for
various ethnic groups found in Pittsburgh. In 1996 the Austrian Nationality
room was dedicated. It contains furnishings of the Baroque Period and focuses
on the 18th century rule of Empress Maria Theresa. The Room is based on
elements from the Haydnsaal (Haydn Hall) in Schloss Esterhazy, the castle in
Eisenstadt, the provincial capital of Burgenland. It contains two Lobmeyr
chrystal chandeliers similar to those in Vienna's Schnbrunn Palace and the
seminar table and chair design is based on the Imperial dining room furniture
in Vienna's Hofburg.

Joseph E. Pandl whose father emigrated from Heiligenkreuz is Chair of the
Austrian Nationality Room Committee and Dr. Joseph Novak is the Co-chair and
Vice President and Director of the Austrian American Cultural Society here in
Pittsburgh. Dr. Novak is the author of the Historical, Cultural and
Scientific Highlights of Austria brochure and he was manning the Austrian
portion of the Alliance of Germanic Societies of Pittsburgh booth, along with
Chris Hoover whose family is from Eberau. Dr. Novak is a charming Austrian
who informed me that most of the members of the Austrian American Cultural
Society in Pittsburgh are Burgenlnders. I am being added to their mailing
list so I should have more details on this for you in the future.

I learned that the Alliance of Germanic Societies of Pittsburgh was formed in
an effort to give these nationality groups more clout and media coverage
collectively than they have been able to garner individually, hence the
combined German/Austrian/Swiss affair. And the move to having a Sommerfest
was due to the fact that there already are seven or more Oktoberfests planned
for the Pittsburgh area.

Although there were not yet the number of food and ethnic booths that were
previously found at the now-discontinued Sharon Fun Fest in Sharon, PA, the
music (and yodeling) at the Sommerfest was really good, as was the bratwurst,
sauerkraut, and German beer. Many of the musicians are members of the
Teutonia Mnner- and Damenchor. And as you can see in the program the Hank
Haller Band was highlighted on Sunday. I am planning to keep in touch with
these groups, including Dr. Novak, as well as the Teutonia singing groups,
who are looking for additional members.
(newsletter continues as no. 64C)

This thread: