BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 66B dtd 15 Oct 1999
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:15:14 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 66B
(issued biweekly by
October 15, 1999

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains a report of the Visit
of Fr. Prizelitz and Heinz Koller, a Visit to Southern Burgenland, House
Numbers & Tax Records, Unger Names From Gssing, and URL and Member Changes

VISIT OF FR. PRIZELITZ & HEINZ KOLLER (Frank Teklits, Frieda Eberhardt & Bob
Strauch)

(As reported previously in BB News No. 65B, Fr. Leopold from Gssing
celebrated the 60th anniversary of his ordination by visiting the Burgenland
"auswanderers" and their descendants in America. He was accompanied by Heinz
Koller who arranged the trip. They returned to Austria on October 11th. Frank
Teklits and his wife and Frieda Eberhardt and her husband are BB members who
attended the Allentown welcoming functions. Heinz Koller (also a BB member)
is well known to readers of this newsletter. Bob Strauch (from Allentown, PA)
frequently contributes material via surface mail and is a prime mover in
Lehigh Valley Burgenland activities. Fr. Leopold and Heinz also met with
Burgenlnders in New York and northern New Jersey.

Frank writes: The visit of Fr. Prizelitz and Heinz Koller described in the
paragraphs below have been coordinated with Frieda and Bob, and represent our
collective input of their 2 day stay in the Lehigh Valley.

Shortly after arriving on October 8, Fr. Leopold & Heinz Koller were taken
to Bethlehem, PA for a tour of the historical district by Bob Strauch, who
coordinated their short stay in the Lehigh Valley. They enjoyed the floral
atmosphere, the old Moravian Church, and after engaging in a conversation
with a clerk inside a gift shop, the clerk gave (& carefully wrapped) a
lovely ornament for the Father. Father Leopold enjoyed the guided tour of the
Franciscan Abbey in Bethlehem, along with the conversation with his fellow
Franciscans. On the way to the Sngerbund, Fr. Leopold also asked to be taken
to a local Burgenland cemetery. Here he saw evidence of the customs adopted by
our ancestors from Burgenland, such as well-groomed burial plots adorned
with flowers, tombstones with photographs of the deceased, and engravings.
He recognized & commented on the many family names familiar to him in his
native Burgenland.

Visits to the Coplay Sngerbund, and the Stammtisch Edelwei were delightful
and casual gatherings, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. There were
17 to 19 individuals waiting for the arrival of the travelers who were just
outstanding in being friendly & out-going. The gathering gave the outward
appearance of a family get-together, as everyone chatted with the guests in
their "best German", along an elongated table. The ladies baked some very
fine Burgenland "goodies" for the guests. These included poppy-seed strudel
(moist, tasty, & outstanding), two very good Burgenland cookies, "German
Spritz Pretzels", & horseshoe shaped cookies called "Vanilla Kipfles" and
some excellent cream puffs. The cookies were sprinkled with powdered sugar,
which "doused" the front of the good Father's brown Franciscan robe. One of
the ladies noticed, & did quick "repair job". Prior to leaving for the usual
Friday night "button box" get-together at the Edelwei, the group sang two
songs in German, and Fr. Leopold sang along with them, while Heinz was busy
snapping a pictures of the assembly.

The goodies accompanied the group to the Edelwei Haus where they were
enjoyed along with musical entertainment. Three button box accordion players
entertained, and during their break, Bob Strauch played the accordion and
sang with the group. There was an abundance of Gemutlichkeit as we listened
and danced. Father Leopold had a good time, making many favorable comments
and applauding each number. Heinz Koller, an excellent dancer, will be
remembered as he danced with every lady in the group at the table. Bob
commented that Heinz twirled the ladies so often that he thought they would
strike oil. At the Edelwei, the guests also met the Huber family, whose son
has a band known as "The Happy Austrians".

Special thanks were in order for Neil & Helen Rothrock who provided
overnight accommodations for the guests and transportation on Saturday.
Saturday was a busy day for the guests prior to their early afternoon journey
back to NYC. The day began with the guests being taken to the St. Francis
Church in Allentown where Fr. Leopold celebrated Mass. The priests at St.
Francis are also members of the Franciscan Order, and Fr. Leopold enjoyed
being among them.

Hearing of the death of an individual in an adjacent town, whose relatives in
Burgenland are known to Heinz Koller, Fr. Leopold asked them to take him to
the viewing. Arriving early at the funeral home, simultaneously with the
family, he gave a beautiful homily before the casket in the Hianzisch
dialect, which the family knew. To the deceased's family, Fr. Leopold's visit
to the USA was not an accident, but as the good father himself said, "he came
to America for a reason". The visit of Fr. Leopold will long remain with the
family as an extraordinary occurence.

The guests were taken to the City Vu Diner, which provides an excellent view
of the city of Allentown, for a pre-arranged meeting, & a late breakfast,
with Walt Groller. Walt is a well-known Valley musician whose band is known
for playing Polkas, Waltzes, and other ethnic music. Walt had just returned
from a 3-week vacation in Burgenland including Gssing, where Heinz Koller,
acting on the behalf of the Burgenland Gemeindschaft greeted Walt and his
group with a tour of the Castle. Following the late breakfast meeting, and a
busy morning, it was time to say goodbye,& escort the guests to the bus
station for their return to NYC.

Bob Strauch did an excellent job arranging things on such short notice and
deserves much praise. His knowledge of German and familiarity with
Burgenland, where he taught English for two years, was an asset for the
occasion. His mother, father and aunt joined the group at the Edelwei.

The BB was well represented at Fr. Leopold and Heinz Koller's visit, as
Frieda & Dennis Eberhardt were there along with me and my wife. Our thanks to
everyone for their efforts, baking the goodies, & the memories of two
enjoyable days.

VISIT TO SOUTHERN BURGENLAND (KLEINMRBISCH-from David Pendel)

Gerry, I wanted to thank you for the directions that you gave me from
Slovenia. They were PERFECT!!!!!!!!! It was the trip of a lifetime. I was
not able to find out much of anything about my grandmother in Heiligenkreuz.
There were Gigler's that were also related to my grandmother from this area.
I met with a few of them but because of the years that had passed, they
didn't know much of anything. The real surprise came when we went to my
grandfathers town of Kleinmurbisch. I met a young lady there who spoke
English. In fact, she is an English teacher in Vienna. She spends her
summers at home. She took me to her home where I met her grandmother. I
showed her grandmother my grandfather's birth certificate (the same one I
sent to you) and to my surprise..........her great uncle was my grandfather's
god-father!!! We both started crying. What a small world. And even
better than that, they took me to see the house that my grandfather was
born in. It is still there from 1903. What a treat. I was also told that
during this summer, the castle in Gssing had a performance that told the
story about all the people that left Austria for America at the turn of the
century. (Ed.-see book "nach Amerika", perhaps still available from the
Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft)

HOUSE NUMBERS AND TAX RECORDS(Bob Unger & Anna Kresh)
(Ed. Note:-some of the following questions concerning interpretation of
census records were included in an article "Hungarian Census Explained" in
newsletter no. 62B, dtd. 15 Aug. 1999)

Anna writes:<Your (Bob Unger) article on the Hungarian Tax Records in the BB
News #60 may be the answer to my prayers, but I have a question that you may
be able to answer for me. >

RESPONSE: Thank you for your kind words - I'm just trying to help BB members
as best I can. I am currently working on a draft article about the 1828
Hungarian census. Prior BB newsletters mentioned that Martha M. Connor of
Las Vegas is the expert concerning that 1828 census. I have been
corresponding with her via surface mail, and currently awaiting her approval
to use some of her information or research results in that draft article for
the BB newsletter. (Ed.-published)

RESPONSE: Anna, I to have been puzzled about house numbers. I have many
photo copies of records and 1844 is the first year where the records includes
a house number. I subsequently learned that those were old house numbers, in
all probability, were assigned in sequence as each new house was built.
Years later the houses were renumbered, using a numbering sequence according
to the house location on a specific street, much like that currently done
here in the USA. During recent visits to Rudersdorf, Austria, the village of
my ancestors, I found that many old houses display both the old and the new
house number.

In my pending article about the 1828 Hungarian census I plan to comment about
the lack of house numbers. It is interesting to note that in the left hand
edge of the 1839 Hungarian tax records, each entry was numbered in sequence,
starting with 1 and, in the case of Rudersdorf, continued to entry 152. I
compared those entry numbers with those found on the 1828 Hungarian Census
records and found the same reference numbers. There were 7 Ungers listed in
the 1828 census and 9 listed in the 1839 tax record. However, most of the
numbers matched, i.e. entry # 29 was for Janos Unger in the 1828 Census, and
entry # 29 was also for Janos Unger in the 1839 tax record. Thus it appears
that each family was assigned a specific reference.
Possibly they used that referencing system, then later starting using house
numbers, in 1844, where I first found them in church records.

RESPONSE: During my visit to Burgenland in 1997 I was fortunate to receive
some birth records from the Catholic Church in Gssing. The Priest was most
helpful and provided me with photo copies of the index, plus the specific
record that I was seeking. At the end of the email message is a copy of the
index which shows the birth child's name and the names of the parents. Thus
indexes of this type help in the documentation of family groups. The index I
received listed the parents names making it easy to group families.

During that '97 visit Gerry asked me to try to find someone in Gssing
willing to help, for a fee, individuals seeking copies of Gssing church
records. Thus I stopped at the office of the Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft in
Gssing and talked with its secretary Renate Dolmanits. Fortunately she
speaks English. She said that since the church is only a very short distance
away from her office, she would be glad to help on a limited basis as her
busy office schedule permitted. Therefore you may wish to sendRenate an email
message and ask her help in getting an index or specific records from the
church there in Gssing. If I recall correctly, Gerry asked Renate for help
after I talked with her in '97. (Ed.-with excellent results). Renate's email
address is > If you wish you can tell her that you are one
of the BB staff members, and also can also mentioned that I visited with her
in 1997 and talked with her about helping obtain church records.

II. Hz - Ad = dwelling tax;
> Hzainak = (his/her) houses';
> 1.-s, 2.-ik, 3.-ik, 4.-ik = 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th;
> Osztlban = class/category;
> Szma = number;

Does this Szma mean the house number? If it does it may give me a way to
find my great-grandfather (hopefully at Nr. 36 Rehgragen) and thus identify
my grandfather's birth record.>

RESPONSE: It is my understanding that Szma = number refers to a quantity.
Most all the entries in the Rudersdorf record has the quantity "1" written in
the column under 3-ik. This could possibly mean a house with three rooms.
Gerry thought it may mean that the property had three structures. But while
in Rudersdorf I had the opportunity to thoroughly examine several of the old
houses and found that they had a rectangular type of construction, i.e. a
front and back gate on two sides, with adjoining living space and barns,
storage building, etc. built one next to another. Thus I found no separate
buildings, they were always connected.

Specifically the record entry "Nr. 36 Rehgragen" in all probability means
house number 36 in that village. During my visit to Rudersdorf in '97 I
stopped at the village office is search for records about house numbers 58,
and 177. They were able to provide me with photo copies of documentation on
each house, listing all its owners. In fact, that was the key bit of
information that ultimately led me to finding my relatives now living in
Rudersdorf - the current owner of #177 helped me to find my relatives.

Joe Jarfas apparently has much more experience with the Hungarian language
and possible could give you his version of the meaning of Szma and other
notations in the Hungarian tax records.

UNGER BIRTH INDEX FROM GSSING CHURCH RECORDS (From Bob Unger)
The following is a copy of the Unger birth index I received from the Catholic
Church in Gssing in 1997.

Jahr pag Nr. Familienname Taufname Vater Mutter

1853 9 63 Unger Maria Theresia Unger
1855 16 3 Unger Caspar Franz Rosalia Kedl
1856 23 32 Unger Johanna Theresia Unger
1857 27 43 Unger Josef Georg Karia Tantsits
1857 28 81 Unger Johann Ignaz Karia Monschein
1859 34 97 Unger Ignaz Franz Rossalia Kedl
1859 39 97 Unger Maria Ignaz Maria
Mondschein
1866 71 20 Unger Michael Maria Unger
1868 86 72 Unger Michael Ignaz Maria Monschein
1869 89 11 Unger Johznna Agatha Josef Emilie Schatz
1871 103 12 Unger Brigitte Josef Emilie Schatz
1871 105 70 Unger Franz Rosalia Strancz

Band VII

1872 8 102 Unger Hedwig Michael Maria Pfeifer
1873 17 93 Unger Franz Josef Emilie Schatz
1874 19 5 Unger Krispin Josef Theresia Deutsc
1874 21 25 Unger Johanna Michael Maria Pfeifer
1875 29 3 Unger Karoline Johann Maria Reipeier
1875 31 35 Unger Johanna Franz Leopoldine Scha
1876 39 20 Unger Josefa Johann Maria Boischits
1876 40 33 Unger Hedwig Josef Emilie Schztz
1876 47 133 Unger Johann Josef Theresia Deutsc.
1877 48 1 Unger Bernhard Michael Maria Pfeifer
1877 51 41 Unger Eduard Kreszenz Maria Leininger
1877 54 83 Unger Rudolf Elisabeth Unger
1877 55 93 Unger Ignaz Ignaz Maria Tapler
1877 55 94 Unger Theresia Franz Rosalia Stranzl
1877 55 96 Unger Genoveva Franz Leopoldine Schai
1877 56 114 Unger Stefan Josef Anna Boischits
1878 62 59 Unger Maria Cajetan Kathar. Zotter
1878 63 79 Unger Johann Johann Maria Voisits
1879 67 16 Unger Michael Elisab. Unger
1879 68 38 Unger Magdalena Josef Elisab. Pany
1879 75 144 Unger Laura Johanna Unger
1880 76 9 Unger Josefa Michael Maria Pfeifer
1880 77 18 Unger Karoline Kreszenz Maria Laiminger
1880 79 50 Unger Ignaz Josef Emilie Schatz
1880 80 61 Unger Theresia Josef Elisab. Pani
1880 81 76 Unger Ignaz Johann Maria Bojsits
1880 81 80 Unger Ignaz Ignaz Anna Bojsits
1880 83 93 Unger Franz Josef Theres. Deutsch
1880 86 125 Unger Franz Franz Rosalia Stranzl
1880 86 131 Unger Franz Johann Theresia Kedl
1881 95 79 Unger Hedwig Cajetan Kathar. Zotter
1881 96 88 Unger Franz Josef Elisabeth Pani
1881 96 93 Unger Eduard Johann Maria Eoischits
1881 99 116 Unger Alois Johann Maria Windisch
1882 105 34 Unger Theresia Josef Emilia Schatz
1883 114 6 Unger Michael Michael Maria Pfeifer
1883 115 16 Unger Maria Johann Theresia Kedl
1883 118 58 Unger Johanna Johanna Unger
1883 121 88 Unger Ignaz Johann Maria Boischits
1883 122 95 Unger Theresia Josef Elisabeth Pani
1883 126 143 Unger Maria Josef Theresia Deutsch
1884 128 3 Unger Johanna Johann Theresia Kedl
1884 131 33 Unger Kreszenz Kreszenz Maria Laminger
1884 135 76 Unger Franz Johanna Unger
1884 139 117 Unger Thomas Michael Anna Kurcz

BURGENLAND BUNCH INTERNET LINKS - ADDITIONS, REVISIONS 10/15/99
(from Internet/URL Editor Anna Tanczos Kresh)

AUSTRIAN, AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
o German Text to Speech Synthesis
<http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/german.html>; - Type in some German text
and hear the synthesized speech version

o Old German Professions, Occupations, Illnesses
<http://www.worldroots.com/brigitte/occupat.htm>; - Hundreds of translations

CROATIAN INTERNET LINKS
o Croatian Research at the FHL <http://www.feefhs.org/frl/cro/edlund1.html>; -
document on the cataloging of all Croatian microforms and books at the LDS
Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah (Lea Buzby)

o Croatian Genealogy <http://www.durham.net/facts/crogen/>; - How to do
Croatian Genealogy; Searching Croatia, Frequently Asked Questions,
Newsletters (check "New Church Records Microfilmed by FHL - To be available
This Year") (Lea Buzby)

GENEALOGY RESEARCH LINKS (U.S)
o Catholic Internet Directory <http://www.catholic-church.org/cid/>; - Wide
range of U.S. and International Catholic links

o Diocese Net <http://www.catholic.net/RCC/Diocese/index3.html>; - Links to
each U.S. Catholic Diocese on the Internet

GENEALOGY RESEARCH LINKS (OTHER)
o Catholic Church History and Research Guide
<http://home.att.net/~Local_Catholic/>; - Local Catholic Church History and
Genealogy Research Guide; guides to the types of records that may be found
and to the locations of records

o Catholic Church in Europe <http://communio.hcbc.hu/>;

o Catholic Internet Directory <http://www.catholic-church.org/cid/>; - Wide
range of U.S. and International Catholic links

o Cousins & Cousinhood
<http://homepage.interaccess.com/~arduinif/tools/cousins.htm>; - good
explanation of relationship charts and the meaning of "twice removed", etc.

o Names and Meanings <http://geschke.net/vornamen/>; - A dictionary of given
names, their sources, and meanings; in German (Web Page Translators work well
here)

HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
o Arpad <http://www.arpad.com>; - deals with cultural, historical, etc.
issues; Arpad was the leader of the Magyar tribes who brought them from the
steppes of Russia into the region known as Hungary today; the Europeans
thought the Magyars were every bit as bad as the Huns, hence the name
"Hungary".(link was broken, is now restored)

LANGUAGE AIDS - TRANSLATORS, DICTIONARIES, etc.
o Web Page Translators - multi-language translators of entire web pages
- AltaVista <http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com>;
- GO <http://translator.go.com/>;
- InterTran <http://www.tranexp.com/InterTran.cgi>;

SEARCH ENGINES
o Intersearch sterreich - <http://austria.intersearch.net/>; (link was
broken, is now restored)

MEMBER CHANGES
CANCEL
Deanne Hanzl Malloy; (

CHANGE
Karen Hoel; (); La Crosse, WI. HANIFL, SHAW, GRUBER,
SCHAUB, LEEB. Oggau (bezirk Eisenstadt). Settled in Wisconsin. New names and
address change.

Robert Geshel; address changed from to .

NEW
Ken Baer, ; St. Louis, MO. OSWALD, Kohfidisch. Settled in St.
Louis, MO. SZAMMER, Gussing. Settled in St. Louis, MO. UNGER, Deutsch
Schutzen. Settled in St. Louis, MO. RABOLD (RABOLT), Kirchfidisch.
Settled in St. Louis, MO.

Leslie Ellingsworth, (). Pleasant Hill, Oregon. SAUTNER,
HOFMANN, KRENN, Monchhof. Three sisters settled in Portland, Oregon, one,
Theresia, my gmother.

Barbara Guttman, , Chicago IL. GUTTMAN, Franz Josef, b
1894-Burg d 1937-Chicago, parents: GUTTMAN, Franz Josef/WACHHOLDER, Juliana;
married JALLITZ, Mary b 1895-Austria d 1957-Chicago; parents: JALLITSCH,
Stephen/unknown.

Don Kovasckitz; (); Sanford, NC. KOVASCHITZ, KOVACSICH,
RADITSCH from Bezenye, Hungary (German-Pallendorf).Settled in Seneca Co, Ohio.

Matthew Kurtz; (); NY, NY; Born in Szentpeterfa,
Hungary.Parents Frank KURTZ and Theresa NEMET (NEMETH) came to this country
1907from Szentpeterfa Hungary. Settled in Northampton, PA. (mail returned)

Frank Marakovits; (); Northampton,PA. MARAKOVITS from Punitz,
KEGLOVITS from Kroatisch Tschantschendorf, STOLSITS from Szent Peterfa,
SCHNEIDER from Eberau. All settled in Northampton,Pa. Relatives online in
Burgenland.

Delores (Dee) Schuh Schjerven (); Mt. Prospect, IL. SCHUH,
MUSSER, SCHADEN, STEGER. Riedlingsdorf, the MUSSER family originated in
Allhau. My parents immigrated to the U.S. and settled in the Chicago area.

Kellie Steiner, (); Springfield, Oregon:STEINER, SOMMER,
TAPLER, BAUER, POLZER, KEDL, SCHAFFER.Tobaj, Heiligenbrunn, KirchfIdisch.
End of Newsletter

STAFF
Co-ordinator & Editor Newsletter>
(Gerald J. Berghold; Winchester, VA )

Burgenland Editor>
(Albert Schuch; Vienna & Kleinpetersdorf, Austria)

Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson)

Internet/URL Editor>
(Anna Tanczos Kresh; Butler,PA)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research>(Fritz Knigshofer)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland> (Frank Teklits)
Home Page village lists> (Bill Rudy)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)

Courtesy Links to member web sites and the "Oberwart Zeitung" (OZ), Oberwart,
Austria and the "Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft" News, Gssing, Austria.

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached from Home Page hyperlinks)

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

WORLDGEN WEB BURGENLAND QUERY BOARD
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Austria/Burgenland

Burgenland Bunch Newsletter distributed courtesy of (c) 1999 RootsWeb.com,
Inc. <http://www.rootsweb.com/>; P.O. Box 6798, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6798

Roots Web BB newsletter archives index and threaded search facility available
from http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm