BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 67A dtd 31 Oct. 1999
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 07:53:07 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 67A
(issued biweekly by
October 31, 1999

This second section of the 3 section newsletter contains an historical
genealogy of the Batthyany family. It is brought to us by member Robert
Bathiany and is indicative of the data available to noble lineage. We'd all
like to be able to run our lineage back to 1046. Current generations have
been omitted due to privacy considerations (Note: this newsletter will never
publish genealogical data concerning living persons unless instructed to do
so). The article concludes with some Batthyany source data. In addition there
are some memos from new members and a plug for Heritage Quest.

FAMILY HISTORY - BATTHYANY

1. URS (EORS, ORS)
- Arpad chieftain who took over the Lake Balaton region of Zala & Veszprem
counties, Hungary
- had son BUHNA

2. BUHNA URS
- died in 1046
- his sons were Suimur, chief of Croatia & Dalmatia country, who was
childless and died in 1088 & UGRA.

3. UGRA URS
- was living in 1095 and had a son BELUS

4. BELUS URS
- was ban of Croatia and a palatine of Hungary
- was living in 1150 and had a son MISKA

5. MISKA URS
- was alive in 1156, and was educated by King Bela III (1173-1196)
- sons were Abraham, who had no successors, Salamon, who had no successors, &
RENOLD, the eldest son

6. RENOLD URS
- was living in 1160
- had a son MISKE

7. MISKE URS
-was alive in 1230
- he restrored a ruined ancestral palace called Miske Palace
- he first married a Russian women, then married Margit Urs, the daughter of
Stephan Peter Urs
- by the second marriage he had sons Renold, Abraham and PAL, and a daughter
Gyongy, died 1276, who married Barleus Boroch

8. PAL URS
- died in 1272
- by his wife Kela he had a unnamed DAUGHTER

9. DAUGHTER (unnamed)
- first married a member of the Gelian family
- married second MATTHAIS KOVAGO-URS. He obtained possession of the URS and
Peze palaces for his heirs
- events in his life were recorded in 1172, 1274 & 1299
- he was Veszprem county Sheriff from 1274 to 1299
- sons were Peter, Andras, Beke & MICHAEL
- with MATTHAIS the URS line became KOVAGO-URS

10. MICHAEL KOVAGO-URS
- was living in 1334, and was MATTHAIS' heir-apparent
- his sons were: Johann, who was living in 1341 and had a son Jakab who was
alive in 1360; Peter; Danords, with events recorded in 1341 & 1353; and
NICHOLAS

11. NICHOLAS KOVAGO-URS
- was born in 1333, died in 1380
- married Katalin Battyan, whose father was John Battyan, the son of Miklos
Battyan
- they occupied the ancestral property

- their sons were John and GEORGE

12. GEORGE KOVAGO-URS
- married Elisabeth Ugal
- performed services for king Sigismund (1387-1439), who gave GEORGE the
village of Battyan and nearby town of Polgardi in 1398
- took name of Batthyany from town and registered it in a 1401 document
- became Squire of Estergom in 1401
- had sons ALBERT & LESLIE (see excursion)

- ------------------------------(EXCURSION)----------------------------------

The purpose of the excursion is to point out the diversion of my family line
(Bobolds), to emphasize that there were two Barons Franz in the same time
frame resulting in confusion in the records, and to include some additional
historical data of this period.

13a. LESLIE BATTHYANY
- died in 1432.
- had a daughter MARGIT

14a. MARGIT BATTHYANY
- first married 15. BALTHASAR BATTHYANY
- second married Andrew Alapy. In the 15th century the Alapy family settled
at Nagykemleki
- had two Alapy sons Istvan & BENEDICT

15a.BENEDICT ALAPY
- was adopted by Peter Batthyany, the son of 13. ALBERT, and took the name
BATTHYANY
- was King Ulasszlos' II (1490-1516) Treasurer from 1506 to 1514
- was Captain of the Buda fortress in 1514
- was former Governor of Dalmatia
- married Alma Erdely
- had sons George, Urban, John & MICHAEL. George was Captain of Peter
fortress in 1524 and lost his life to the Turks. Urban died in 1549. John
died at an early age.

16a MICHAEL BATTHYANY
- was living in 1520
- married Magdalene Lengyeltol
- their sons were FRANZ & John. John was alive in 1526, had a son Leslie who
had a son Christopher

17a FRANZ BATTHYANY
- was captured by the Turks, imprisoned at Temes fortress (Romania) where he
lost his life
- married Catherine Csemetey
- had sons George, Benedict, Jaspar & FRANZ (FRANCIS)

18a FRANZ (FRANCIS) BATTHYANY
- married Catherine Banfy
- received title of Baron at Prague in 1628 from King Ferdinand III of Austria
- had Anton and Franz (This appears to be the connection to my family)

13. ALBERT BATTHYANY
- was King Sigismund' deputy in 1424
- when brother 13a. LESLIE died in 1432 he obtained LESLIE's Meres possessions
- married Clara Pogany
- had sons John, Peter & ANDREW. Peter adopted 15a BENEDICT ALAPY (see
excursion)
.
14. ANDREW BATTHYANY
- obtained the Ugal possessions by inheritance
- married Verona Szerdlahely
- lived at Zakany in 1449
- had sons Jaspar, Melchior, Christopher & BALTHASAR

15. BALTHASAR BATTHYANY
- was King Matthais (1458-1490) Lord Steward in 1484
- was Captain of Koszeg fortress
- was Vas county Lord Lieutenant in 1489
- was Governor of Jajcza and Bosnia in 1489
- under King Mathais and King Ulaszlo II (1490-1516) was Secretary of
Legations
- first married 14a MARGIT BATTHYANY (see excursion)
- second married Helene Nach-Archei
- sons of 2nd marriage were Francis, George & BALTHASAR. (Francis was born
in 1497. Was governor of Croatia, was the kings Cupbearer & Chief Treasurer.
In 1523 King Lajos gave him the gift of Szalonak fortress and Rohonaz
(Rechnitz) estate. In 1524 he obtained the Nemetujvar estate from Lawrence
Ujlaky, which contained Csakany (Gussing) castle and the Eors (Urs) district
in Vas county. He married Katherine Svetkovitz, but didn't have children. He
received the Alapy & Zamardi estates from his brother 16.BALTHASAR)
- died in 1520
- left his possessions to 18. BALTHASAR, son of 17. CHRISTOPHER

16. BALTHASAR BATTHYANY
- born in 1497
- was King Lajos II (1516-1526) Lord Steward
- was governor of Bosnia
- was castellan of Koszeg fortress
- married Catherine Edody
- son was CHRISTOPHER

17. CHRISTOPHER BATTHYANY
- was King Janos II (1540-1570) cupbearer in 1554
- third marriage was to Elisabeth Kanizsay
- their children were Jaspar & BALTHASAR
- died in 1570

18. BALTHASAR BATTHYANY
- born in 1528
- was King Ferdinand I (1556-1564) Chief Secretary, and was a General.
- was member of Parliament from Pozsony in 1572
- died in either 1588 or 1590
- had son FRANZ

19. FRANZ BATTHYANY
- born in 1557
- was the king's Master of the Horse
- was Sopron county Lord Lieutenant
- married Eva Poppel-Lobkovicz in 1607

- acquired the Neuhaus fortress and Rakicsany castle in 1620
- was living at Rohoncz in 1620
- received title of Baron from King Ferdinand II in 1625
- died at Szalonak in 1625
- had a son ADAM

20. ADAM BATTHYANY
- born in 1609, died in 1659
- was the king's Chief Secretary, and was Chief Military Commander of lower
Hungary
- added the estates of Pinkafeld & Bernstein to his possession
- added the estate of St. Groth, Zala county, to his possession
- married Aurora Formantine in 1632
- sons were Christopher & PAUL

21. PAUL BATTHYANY
- born in 1639, died in 1674
- married Catherine Illeshazy in 1661
- resided at Kanizsay fortress
- sons were Francis, who was the king's Cupbearer, & SIGISMUND

22. SIGISMUND BATTHYANY
- married Isabel Gallenburg in 1695
- died in 1726 or 1728
- sons were Paul, Adam, Sigismund & IMRET

23. IMRET BATTHYANY
- born in 1707, died in 1774
- 1st. married Anna Maria Sauran in 1737
- sons were Ignatz, Antoine, Emerich, Alajos, Kajetan & JOSEF GEORGE
- 2nd married in 1768 Eva Kantz
- son of 2nd. marriage was Nep. John

24. JOSEF GEORGE BATTHYANY
- born in 1737, died in 1806
- was the king's Lord Lieutenant and Internal Secret Councilor
- married Frances Illeshazy in 1765
- sons were Vinczet, Miklos & JOSEF ANTON

25. JOSEF ANTON BATTHYANY
- born in 1770 at Graz, died 1851
- 1st. married Anna Lazar in 1807
- 2nd. married Antoinette Tarnoczy in 1832
- son of 2nd marriage was JOSEF

26. JOSEF BATTHYANY
- born in 1836
- was Lord Lieutenant of Moson county
- married Ludovica Batthyany, the great granddaughter of 23. IMRET
- sons were Josef, John & LADISLAUS

27. LADISLAUS BATTHYANY
- born at Kiliti in 1870, died in 1931
- married Maria Theresa Coreth in 1898
- lived at Vienna, and was a medical doctor
- sons were LADISLAUS, Ivan, Josef, Franz, Karl & Odon

28. LADISLAUS BATTHYANY
- born at Kittsee in 1904, died in 1966
- married Antoinette Przssin in 1935
- sons were of present generations
- was last possessor of the Prince title, which was originally given by Maria
Theresa in 1769 to Charles Batthyany and his heirs. Charles had married
Frances Strattmann. He was a great grandson of 20. ADAM. The title then
passed down through several different family lines.

(note: BatthyanyL is a grandson)

From: Bob Olds
To: GBerghold

I read with interest BB Newsletter #66. After doing so, I went through my
records to see if there might be anything of interest to Burgenland or the
German question. I am listing some items that may be of interest or which you
may already have.

1. Nemet-Ujvar, a section of Batthyany Herczegi S Grofi, Soskuti Tarnok
Alajos, Nagy-Kanizsan, 1875. It is Hungarian and I have not had it translated.

2. Festschrift fur Balduin Saria. zum 70 Geburtstag. Buchreihe der
Sudostdeutschen Historischen Kommission, Vol. II, Munchen, 1964. I have a
copy of one chapter - Ein Stuck Grenzlandgeschichte im Spiregel des
Batthyanyschen Familien-und Herrsschafts-archives auf der Burg Gussing, by
Karl Homma, Dir. Burgenland County Archives (d.1967). 16 pages.

3. Magyar Tortenet, III & IV Kotet, Szekfu Gyula, 1935, Budapest. 19 pages.

4. Burgen und Schlosser Burgenland, Harald Prickler, Vienna, 1972. I have
copies of 3 maps covering areas of Jennersdorf, Gussing, Oberwart,
Oberpullendorf, Mattersburg, Eisenstadt-Umgebung, Neusiedl am See.

5. Amt der Burgenlandischen Landesregierung, Eisenstadt, 1967, Dr. Ernst. It
refers to several variations of the Batthyany name, such as Buttian, Budianei
& Bottyan.

6. Two larger maps, 1772 and 1825, with town given in German. I could copy
sections that apply to the Burgenland area.

Let me know if any of these are of interest. I would prefer to send the
copies by regular mail, but would need an address. I don't know German or
Hungarian, so they would have to be translated by someone. Bobolds @aol.com.

THANKS FROM NEW MEMBERS
We get a number of these and we're always grateful for the kind words. The
net is a pretty inpersonal place and sometimes we aren't sure if our efforts
are really filling a need. A message like this every so often tells us it is
all worth while.

Kathleen Kelly writes: "I am so grateful and impressed with all the
information and resources you have assembled to assist in our family history
research. It takes a measure of self-control not to stay up all night
delving into these sites! Thank you for all your work and for forwarding it
on to me. Regards."

Jeanette Selleck writes: " Thanks again...I did as you suggested and joined
the BB. I also downloaded Article 1(Rooting around in Burgenland). Do you
have the LDS number for Fraunkirchen also! You have been a great help with a
novice in the area. I appreciate all of your help and suggestions.

Joe and Ildiko Szikora write: "We would like to tell you how much we enjoy
reading the BB news letter, we find it very interesting. Also we "met" quite
a few relatives and friends through BBunch. Recently I (Ildiko)wrote to the
Vas megye Archives, wanting to get some information about the county
orphanage. They told me that the orphanage records before 1902 were all lost.
At the same time they sent me a copy of a document dated Feb.2.1881. It
concerns the inheritance of a minor: Ferenc Klepits of Hannersdorf. His
father: Janos Klepits died Nov.13.1878. The names mentioned in the document
are: widow Agnes Klepits nee Dunst, Erzsebet Grelber nee Klepits, Janos
Klepits, Gyorgy Klepits and his wife Maria Klepits nee Klepits. This document
is not interesting to me because it does not belong to the
Klepits family I am researching, but it could be valuable to someone else. If
there is somebody who recognizes these names in his or her family research I
am glad to
send it or send a copy of it. It is in Hungarian, but I can translate it if
needed.

We would like to mention that I am (Joe) from Mosonmagyarovar (Ungarisch
Altenburg) which was the capital of the county Moson (Moson megye) before the
treaty of Versailles. Moson was a separate village 3 km from Magyarovar and
its German name was Wieselburg. I don't remember the German name of Moson
megye, but I can find out. In your newsletter I ran across family names which
are similar to those of many of my classmates, who came from the named
villages like Moson - Szentjanos, Pusztasomorja, etc. I know all those places
as well as many of the places in Northern Burgenland where my relatives
(Goetz) still live. Keep up the good work, regards,(Searching the descendants
of Goetz, Johannes Nepomuk (b.1854), who came to
Nebraska in 1878 Oct.)

HERITAGE QUEST

The BB is non-commercial but we will bring you excerpts of advertisements
which offer items relating to our objectives. It should be no surprise to you
that I think Heritage Quest Magazine is perhaps the best genealogy magazine
available, since I've written articles for them (see our archives). They now
publish a free internet newsletter and offer various books and publications
for sale at their online bookstore. If you're new to genealogy you might want
to look over what they have. If you're an expert you already know what they
offer. The following have been snipped from their latest newsletter:

GO ONLINE
Get this week's Genealogy Bulletin:
http://www.GenealogyBulletin.com

Special Product Offers
--> Save 15% on Family Focused, by Janice T. Dixon, Ph.D. A step-by-step
guide to writing your autobiography and family history -- Just $16.96, retail
$19.95
GOTO: <http://www.heritagequest.com/genealogy/books/html/focused.html>;
OR: Navigate to Home >Book Store

--> Heritage Quest Magazine Subscriptions -- Just $24.95 That's 1/3 OFF
Newsstand Price for America's Leading Genealogy Magazine
GOTO: <https://www.HeritageQuest.com/genealogy/hqsub/index.html>
OR: Navigate to Home >Magazine Stand

GO ONLINE- Visit the Heritage Quest site for all your genealogy needs!
http://www.HeritageQuest.com
(Newsletter continues as no. 67B)

This thread: