BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 67B dtd 31 Oct. 1999
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 07:53:13 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 67B
(issued biweekly by
October 31, 1999

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains an article called BB
Missionary Work, which explains how you can help increase BB membership.
There are also some Burgenland Trip Tips, a Message from Bob Unger and many
Member Changes. There are no URL changes this issue.

BB MISSIONARY WORK

I often wonder how many potential new members contact us because a friend or
relative told them of our existence. Many of you do this and it's something
we should all be doing. The more members we attract, the more data we receive
and the better our chances of finding what we're looking for. To help you to
be a good missionary, I'm including a letter I recently sent. It includes our
"official" invitation which some of you may not have seen. Feel free to copy
it and pass it on to prospective members. Tell them it can be a week or so
before they hear from us depending on volume.

While we appear to be adequately covered in internet circles, I know there
are many organizations that do not know we exist. One that I've recently
contacted is the Lehigh County Historical Society (Allentown, PA), of which
I'm a member.

One of their contributors submitted an immigration article which was included
in their recent Proceedings (1994 published 1999). He barely mentioned
Burgenland immigrants. I then sent them the message below. I know Anna Kresh
has been actively spreading the BB word in local historical (genealogical)
circles as has Hap Anderson, Dale Knebel and Bob Unger. You may wish to do
likewise. Use this message as a guide, changing it to meet the circumstances
as you get involved with your own local groups.

Lehigh County Historical Society
September 15, 1999
PO Box 1548
Allentown, PA 18105-1548

I offer the attached article "BURGENLAND IMMIGRANTS IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY" for
publishing consideration in the "Town Crier" and/or your web site at
www.voicenet.com/~lchs. The article "Immigration To Allentown, Bethlehem and
Reading, 1870-1920", (T. A. Sanelli- LCHS Proceedings 1994, p110) supports my
contention that the history of this fascinating and voluminous immigrant
Burgenland group in the Lehigh Valley is largely being forgotten. As such I
hope to stimulate some local interest.

While I feel the Town Crier would be a most effective medium to reach members
of the historical society or greater Valley residents with Burgenland
origins, I also am aware that this publication is space limited. I have tried
to keep my article as short as possible consistent with the message, but
please feel free to edit as required. If you like, I'll be happy to email
the article for ease of publication. You can check our credentials by
accessing our web site at:
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

I have been a member of the LCHS for six years and I've attached a short
profile. Thanks for your consideration.

(Author's profile: G. Berghold descends from south Burgenland grandparents
who emigrated to Allentown in the early 1900's. He was born in Allentown, PA,
graduated AHS class of 1948, BS from Lehigh University, class of 1957,
retired from the DuPont Co., Wilmington, DE. and currently resides in
Winchester, VA. His genealogical articles have been published both here and
in Austria and he has traveled extensively in central and south eastern
Europe. He has identified and linked his own Burgenland ancestors to the
late 1600's.)

BURGENLAND IMMIGRANTS IN THE LEHIGH VALLEY
by Gerald J. Berghold

The Austrian Province of Burgenland was formed in 1921 from the western
Hungarian counties of Vas, Moson and Sopron which contained a mix of German,
Croatian and Hungarian speaking ethnic groups. During the period 1880-1924,
forty thousand people from this area migrated to the United States.
Emigration then slowed due to passage of stringent quotas, but some migration
continued well into the 1950's. (see Harvard Encyclopedia of Ethnic Groups).

The Lehigh Valley provided a new home for many of these immigrants. The
largest majority of this group came from southern Burgenland, villages now in
the districts of Gssing, Jennersdorf and Oberwart (the pre 1921 Hungarian
districts of Sankt Gotthard, Krmend, Nemetjuvar, Kszeg, and Felsr).
Burgenland family names from these districts are well represented in the
telephone and city directories of Allentown, Bethlehem, Northampton, Coplay,
Whitehall and surrounding townships. Cemeteries and church records also
attest to their presence (see holdings in the Lehigh County Historical
Society library) as do the US Census (Lehigh & Northampton Counties) of 1910
and 1920. They made significant contributions to Valley growth, providing
much needed labor for cement and steel mills, breweries, cigar and textile
mills, truck and tool production, construction, food production and similar
labor intensive industries. While many of their descendants are no longer
residents of the Valley, family names will still be found today throughout
the commercial, educational and political spectrums.

An English language history of these immigrants is still to be written. While
there is ethnic interest in some Valley locales, many later generation
descendants now know very little about their heritage. An excellent German
language history "Die Amerika-Wanderung der Burgenlnder", by Dr. Walter
Dujmovits, has been published by Desch-Drexler, Pinkafeld, Austria, 1992, but
German is no longer a second language in the Valley. The LDS (Mormon Church)
can also provide microfilm of Burgenland 1828-1921 church and civil records
at their family history centers; however, while translatable, they are hand
written in Latin, German and Hungarian.

Changes in European politics and geography compound research problems.
Austrian, Hungarian and Croatian village names and political sovereignty are
part of the Burgenland mix. It's easy to become confused when reviewing such
origins.

Realizing help was needed, our internet group called the "Burgenland Bunch"
was formed in 1997. We now have almost 400 members worldwide plus links to
related web sites, Austrian publications and voluminous archives.

If any readers of the "Town Crier" claim Burgenland heritage and are
interested in joining us, we'd be pleased to have you. The invitation below
provides additional information:

BURGENLAND BUNCH INVITATION
If you have an interest in the Burgenland and wish to join our group, please
contact the author via email at << >> Subject "Burgenland
Bunch membership". Furnish your name, your email address, city and state,
Burgenland family surnames (IN CAPS) being researched, villages of origin if
known and where emigrants settled.

Example (data is fictitious): John Doe, ; Allentown, PA. SCHMIDT,
HOLPER, Gssing. MIRTH, NEUBAUER, Eltendorf. Settled in Northampton, PA.

Your data will be added to our membership list and homepage (web site
listings) and you will receive future editions of our biweekly email
newsletter (averages 24 pages in 3 sections). Some of our material is being
translated into English for the first time. You will also be told how to
access lists of villages, family names, useful internet genealogical
addresses and other members researching your family names. Our listings are
not available for commercial purposes. Previous newsletters and other
information (our archives) may be read or downloaded from our homepage.

No dues or other obligations are required. Our staff are volunteers, donating
their time and expertise in the interests of world wide Burgenland family
history. Our area of research includes immediate Burgenland border villages
in Hungary and the Austrian Provinces of Styria and Lower Austria, but please
restrict any non-Burgenland queries to these areas. We can not send our
newsletters via surface mail nor can we list those who do not have internet
(email) capability. We can not help with non-Burgenland genealogy. We caution
you that listing with us will make your email address available to the world
at large. BURGENLAND HOME PAGE is available at:
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

-End of article-

BURGENLAND TRIP TIPS

We get many requests for information from members planning a trip to the
Burgenland. I could write a travel guide, but it's difficult to know
individual board and lodging preferences, so I rarely address that type of
data, staying with gasthaus accommodations when spa or hotel accommodations
may be preferred. My own preferences are for local gasthauses (I've never
stayed at a bad one although some are better than others). I like the idea of
regional food and talking to the "wirt" and his family over a glass of wine.
This invariably leads to all sorts of contacts and information. I've found
it's easier to fit into village life if you stay at a local gasthaus.
Elsewhere you're often just another English speaking tourist. After a week or
more of this, I may then go to a spa and live in the lap of luxury.

Board and lodging aside, there are many things every traveler to Burgenland
should do. The following was written for someone visiting southern Burgenland
where I've had the most experience. More tips will also be found in my
Heritage Quest Magazine article and the trip reports found in our archives.

Member Alex Tschaar writes: "Do hope this finds you and your family in the
best of health. The reason I am writing is because I need some information.
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Burgenland, sometime between Oct.
9th,10th or 11th. We are very apprehensive as to where to stay. We would
like the PENSION PLAN [I believe that is what you call it]. I have been in
touch with my cousin who lives in Oberwart. However, we do not plan to stay
with them because I do not want to impose on them.

I also wrote to Fritz Konigshofer, he gave me some fine suggestions, he also
suggested contacting you. He said he usually stayed with family when he was
over there, and had little knowledge of decent places to stay. Do you have
the names of any of the places you stayed, including the address and cost per
week or two weeks? Is this a good time to go or should we hold off till
spring? I had so many more questions I wanted to ask, but this old mind of
mine just doesn't want to remember things anymore. I know how busy you must
be and may GOD BLESS you, for the help you have already given to me. Any
information you feel like sending that may guide two GREENHORNS in the "OLD
COUNTRY" will be appreciated."

Answer: Alex, early October is fine. Warm days and cool nights. The new wine
is ready. Be sure to visit a "Buschenshank" (you drink new wine and eat
homemade smoked pork products in a farmer's place built for that
purpose-special hours, ask around). What you are referring to is a "pensione"
plan" (one or two meals plus breakfast). I always get breakfast and one meal
(dinner). Lunch time, I'm traveling and have picnics with wine, bakery bread,
cheese, wurst, fruit-all from local stores-be sure to take along a knife and
a cork puller- sometimes I try a different restaurant or gasthaus for lunch.

By all means try to find lodging in or near Olbendorf (Alex's family
village). Terms change so often that I don't keep track of them but I think
you'll find them reasonable (comparable to US motel prices) everywhere except
in Vienna which can get very expensive.

Why not try Gasthof "Kirchenwirt"-Helmut and Barbara Tury in Olbendorf or
Hotel-Restaurant Novosel in Stegersbach. I've not stayed at either but
they're both mentioned in some of my literature. The "Kirchenwirt" in
Eltendorf (Rudy Mirth, owner) is familiar to me, but I last stayed there in
1993. It was very good and since has been enlarged. Bit to the south of
Stegersbach. Look below for some ideas on prices.

FROM BURGENLAND INTERNET LINKS:
o Urlaub am Bauernhof im Burgenland
<http://www.burgenland.farmholidays.com/>; - Links to farms offering "Urlaub
am Bauernhof" in Burgenland, with photos and prices, that may be of interest
to members who plan to visit Burgenland. Inquiries are relayed to the
selected farm, and if the farm has no email-connection, the inquiry is
automatically converted into a fax.

I was looking through some of my old correspondence and found some tips for
visiting southern Burgenland. You may find them useful. I'd suggest you first
head for Olbendorf and Stegersbach and see how the above two places strike
you. Inquire for prices and look at the rooms. This is customary in Austria.
You might also find a nice place in some of the surrounding villages. Don't
be concerned about lodging, they're all clean, friendly and have good food.
Just don't expect US menus or fast food (except in larger towns). When in
doubt order a "schnitzel (breaded veal or pork) with "pomes frits" (French
fries) and a "gemischt salat". Goulasch is also always good. Breakfast is
generally juice (orange is rarely good), fresh rolls, butter, honey,
preserves, bread and coffee, cheese, cold cuts, sometimes an egg.

Trip Tips
In Gssing don't miss the "Auswanderer" Museum. Stop first at the office of
the Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft at Hauptlpatz 7 (Rathaus Parterre). They
also operate a travel agency for Austrians so don't think you're at the wrong
place. Ask for Frau Renate Dolmanits (she runs the agency but is also
secretary to the BG). Tell her you are a BB member. She speaks English. Ask
her about the museum. You may also wish to buy a copy of the best book
written about Burgenland emigrants. Ask for Dr. Dujmovit's (he's BG president
and an authority on the migration to the US) book "Der Amerika Wanderung der
Burgenlnder"-it's not expensive (about $20). Also ask if she has any more
copies of "Nach Amerika". Great history of the "Auswanderung" and many
pictures, little more expensive. She may ask if you want to join the BG-it's
$15 a year and their bimonthly newsletter is worth it. Being a member may
also open some doors and provide some information. The Fremdenvehrkehr
(tourist bureau) is upstairs. You can get some brochures. If you want more
German books about the Burgenland walk a few blocks west from the BG. (on the
way stop at the post office and ask for a Burgenland phone book-they were
free, maybe still are). There's a good book store (only one in Gssing)
beyond the post office. BY ALL MEANS BUY Kirsner & Peternell's book "Der
Bezirk Oberwart im Wandel der Zeit", about 400 s -$33. Great pictures and
history of your village. If you're not on a budget, also buy "Der Bezirk
Gssing im Wandel der Zeit". There are 7 of these books in all. One for each
of the 7 Burgenland Bezirks (districts). They may show you some other
interesting books including Robert Hajszan's "Die Kroaten der Herrschaft
Gssing" -150 s. This is the history of the Croatians in the Gssing area.
There's an English summary in the back. Look over their stock. If you like
such things ask to see postcards. If you buy over 1000 s worth of items at
one shop ask for a VAT form, you can get 17% returned when you leave the
country. You must get the form stamped at customs on the way out, then go to
the VAT office and get your money. Lastly if you want a picnic lunch, stop at
the super market on the Gssing bypass (east) and buy from their great
delicatessen variety (including fresh rolls, strudels). I'm sure you'll visit
the castle, the church and Fransciscan Cloister and the 12th century church
of St. Jakob by the cemetery.

Szt. Gotthard cathedral is worth a visit. Cross into Hungary at Heiligenkreuz
im Lafnitz. Buy Paprika while in Hungary. Don't change too much money. My
people are from Gssing (Rosenberg), Poppendorf and Eltendorf, just west of
Heiligenkreuz, so this is my area. My g-grandmother Julianna Tarafas was from
Pinka Mindszent. If you want a good lunch, stop in Eltendorf at the "Gasthaus
Kirchenwirt" just across the street from the Lutheran church. The owner Rudy
Mirth is also Brgermeister. Tell him Bob Unger (San Diego and one of the BB
staff) and I say hello. Rudy's son recently visited Bob Unger. There is also
a nice brick oven pizza shop in Eltendorf. The finest meal can be had at
Gasthaus Gibiser in Heiligenkreuz. World class restaurant. Nice drives are to
the villages like Zahling, Kukmirn, etc. north to Stegersbach. These are on
secondary roads that still have old European charm.

Frstenfeld, Styria (medium size city) is worth a visit. Just across the
Burgenland border, west of Eltendorf. This was the border region pre 1921.
Here Austria stopped and Hungary started. Also visit Eisenstadt, the capital,
visit the churches, the Esterhazy Palace, the Burgenland museum and state
library (Landesbibliothek) and state archive (Landesarchiv) on the
Freiheitplatz, for maps and German language publications about Burgenland.

If you wish to see more of Hungary on a day trip (avoid the weekends),
continue east from Heiligenkreuz on route 8 to Herend and visit the porcelain
factory. In a class with Meissen porcelain. If you like porcelain and want to
buy something, bring lots of money. Lake Balaton is a little further on.
Worth a look. Fine wines are found in this region. The immediate Hungarian
border region was full of family related to present day Burgenlnders.
Separated by politics and then the iron curtain.

I've visited all of the Burgenland and many Styrian castles and if you like
such things you may wish to download my article concerning them. Riegersburg,
Forchtenstein and Gssing are a must. See the index. The lake (Neusiedler
See) is definitely worth a visit. Can be seen best at Mrbisch or Rust.
Church across the lake at Frauenkirchen is worth visiting. Great genealogical
tree of local aristocracy on east wall. Give us a report when you get back.

A NOTE OF CAUTION!

Unless you've done your homework and are an experienced genealogist with a
working command of German (including script) and experience with Burgenland
records, don't expect to find your ancestors' records or data concerning them
on your first visit. This may be possible if you have local relatives or
contacts or find a friendly priest or official with some English, and some
free time and the inclination to help you. It's always possible but don't
count on it. If you do want to see records, make advance appointments and do
it in writing. This is particularly necessary if you want to use the Catholic
Diszesanarchiv in Eisenstadt on St Rochus Strasse 21. I don't recommend this
unless you are very familiar with Burgenland church records and have lots of
time.

Even if genealogical data is not found, you can still enjoy the area in which
your ancestors lived, maybe see their home (take along the house number from
LDS records), sample their food, see their vistas, visit cemeteries with
family names, attend a service in your ancestors' church and come home with
lots of pictures, books, pamphlets, etc. You may also find a distant cousin
who may show you around. After "doing" your family villages-go to Vienna and
live it up, no place like Vienna, as the song goes, "Wien, Wien nur du
allein", and if you have the time also see Salzburg, Innsbruck, Budapest,
Graz, Baden, Zell am See, Millstadt, the Wachau, Bad Gleichenberg, Melk, etc.
etc.

MESSAGE FROM CONTRIBUTING EDITOR BOB UNGER

Alice & I just returned from an extensive cruise of the East coast, starting
in Halifax, Nova Scotia, then on to Philadelphia, PA and all points in
between We were initially scheduled to visit Annapolis, MD; St. Michaels,
MD; and Norfolk, VA; but the hurricane kept us in Baltimore. After the
weather cleared we continued on to Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA, Brunswick,
GA; and ultimately disembarked at Port Everglades, FL.

When we returned home I was faced with much surface mail and 75 email
messages.

In the surface mail I received a letter from the Archiv Verlag of Vienna,
which included an 1803 map of Burgenland - great. They also offered a set of
books detailing the history of Burgenland from the time of the Romans up to
the present, in the form of words and pictures. Did you receive that
communication? The set of books are available for only S 128 plus postage.
They claim that this is a limited edition of only 1,000 copies. Sounds great
for only S 128 which equates to 128/13 = $9.85.

MEMBER CHANGES

CHANGE
Jrgen Brandweiner; (); Austria.
Eisenhttl: WEINHOFER; VUKISEVICS; SCHAER( OR: SCHEUHER)
Gerersdorf b. Gssing: URSCHLER; PETZ
Stinatz: KIRISITS; GRANDITS; TOMSICS; FABSITS; STIPSITS; RESETARITS
Burgauberg: LUGITSCH; SCHWARZ; SCHITTL; SIGL; Mischendorf: GRAF
Neudauberg: WINDISCH; BARMLLER; HUBMAN; FUGGER; FRENTZ; PLTL; JGL;
JANISCH; PFEIFER; GOGER; STROBL: GORTTET/GOTTHARDT;
Stegersbach: PENDL; KRAMMER; ROTHEN; SIDERITS; NOVAKOVITS; PIBER; FENEZ;
KERN; STROBL; Kukmirn: BRANDWEINER; WAGNER; Rohr: HOPITZAN; OFNER;
Litzelsdorf: FASSL; SAMMER; TABELLI; HOCHWARTER; DRNBECK; JANISCH; KONRAD;
UNGER
Wrterberg: GRILL; BRCKNER; MUSSY; WOHLFAHRT; SCHALK; SUMMER; RATH; KAPFER;
FASCHING. All district Gssing, only Litzelsdorf and Mischendorf are Oberwart
(Note-most of the above are new surnames and villages)

Albert Schuch from to

Joseph Tanzosh; (), Nazareth, PA; TANZOS (TANCZOS); Rehgraben;
OSWALD, WOLFE; Gu"ssing; YAGERHOFER (JAEGERHOFFER); Eisenhu"ttl; BILOVITS,
HUSZOVITZ, ZIMMERMAN (new address)

Benjamin Roman Zotter; from to

NEW

Aviva Atlani; (); Toronto, Ontario Canada. ALT, ROSENBERGER,
NEUMAN, Sopron, Kobersdorf.

Frank Buzolits, , N. Topsail Beach, NC, BUZOLICH, KIRISITS,
OHR, WUKOVITS, IFKOWICH, Kroatisch Minihof, Kleinmutschen (Kroatisch
Pervane), Stegersbach and Steinbach. Families settled in South Bend, Indiana.

Carolyn Cecil, ( ), Lincoln, IL, SHALLA, SCHIMETZ, do not
know place of origin, settled Lincoln, IL.

Pat Harmon; (Phalynx50@ AOL.com); Griffin, GA. DULD, FLAMISCH, DAMHOESEL,
Kukmirn. Settled in Allentown, Pa.

Laura Hradelowitz-Cuellar (); Miami Springs, Florida.
ZWICKL, HDRADELOVITZ; MosonSzolnok, Hungary. Settled in Wisconsin, Ohio, and
Minnesota.

Kathleen J. Kelly; (); NY, NY. TSCHIDA, GRUBER, WEISS,
KLEIN, HETZEL (WETZEL). Pamhagen, Illmitz, Apetlon. Decendants of Stephen
Tschida (b. 26 Dec 1864 Pamhagen) settled primarily in Tacoma, Washington
with some migrations elsewhere.

Ginger McGurk; (); Omaha, Nebraska. OPITZ, KLEIN,
fApetlon; PLATZER, PRIEGL(or BRIGL), and RAINER, from HALBTURN and
FRAUENKIRCHEN; also MULLNER, from APETLON; and HOFER, but unsure where they
came from. Settled mainly in the Omaha, Nebraska and Mandan, ND areas. Some
descendants moved to Canada and St. Paul, Minnesota.

Viktor Schranz, (), Los Angeles, CA. SCHRANZ, Drumling
(Stadtschlaining, Bezirk Oberwart). Great-great grandfather, Johan Schranz
lived in Drumling in the early 1800's. He married Rosina Bruckner. Their son,
Janos Schranz was born in 1830.

Jeanette Selleck, ; Houston, Tx. ZWINGER, HAFNER,
NOLZ, GOELTL, Frauenkirchen, and or St. Andras, Settled in Parkston, S.D.

Ruby Uhazie Houston, Texas UHAZIE / JHASI /YOUSEY / DOLAK /
Settled in Dunbar, Pennsylvania.

Christopher Wagner; (); Rumney, NH; SOMMERS'
Kleinmrbisch?), IMRE- Zahling. Married, settled in Allentown, PA 19??

Stephen Yautz;(); Bayonne, NJ. JAUTZ, Tobaj; WAGNER, Punitz.

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF
Co-ordinator & Editor Newsletter> (Gerald J.
Berghold; Winchester, VA )

Burgenland Editor> (Albert Schuch; Vienna
& Kleinpetersdorf, Austria)

Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson)

Internet/URL Editor> (Anna Tanczos Kresh;
Butler,PA)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research>(Fritz Knigshofer)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland> (Frank Teklits)
Home Page village lists> (Bill Rudy)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)
WorldGenWeb -Austria, RootsWeb Liason-Burgenland > (Charles
Wardell, Austria)

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached from Home Page hyperlinks to RootsWeb)

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

WORLDGEN WEB BURGENLAND QUERY BOARD
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Austria/Burgenland

Burgenland Bunch Newsletter distributed courtesy of (c) 1999 RootsWeb.com,
Inc. <http://www.rootsweb.com/>; P.O. Box 6798, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6798

Roots Web BB newsletter archives index and threaded search facility available
from http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm

Newsletter and List Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted; Provide
Credit.

END OF NEWSLETTER

This thread: