BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 68 dtd 15 Nov. 1999
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:30:44 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 68
(issued biweekly by
November 15, 1999
(all rights reserved)

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) To join, see our homepage. We
can not help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are
appreciated. This first section of the 3 section newsletter contains a copy
of the New Instructions Sent to New Members. Present members will also find
it helpful. Composed by our Internet Editor, Anna Kresh, it explains how best
to use our URL Lists (Internet Addresses). We suggest you print these
instructions and keep them handy. This section concludes with information
concerning the LDS Family History Center in Vienna.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS BEING SENT TO NEW MEMBERS (by Anna Kresh)

Welcome to the Burgenland Bunch.

In the past it has been our practice to send each new member an email
containing our master list of URLs (Uniform Resource Locators) that appear on
our Burgenland Bunch (BB) URL Listings web page. This has now grown to two
email messages, split to avoid attachments because of the byte limits imposed
by some email providers. Some BB members, depending on their email and
browser software, receive all these internet addresses as (hot) hyperlinks
(they can click on the hyperlinks and be taken right to the web sites), while
others receive all the addresses as text only. Those receiving the file as
text only must then "cut and paste" in order to use the URL, or else type the
entire address.

We are discontinuing the automatic mailing of this master URL list to new
members because we feel there is a better way; however, please note that I
will gladly continue to send a copy of the master list (2 emails) to anyone
who wants one. If you want the list, simply send me email requesting same.

As some may already know, you can go online to our BB URL Listings web page
and capture the entire web page onto your hard disk as either an .html file
(with hot hyperlinks) or as a simple text file (without web addresses). Our
BB membership contains individuals with varying degrees of online expertise;
therefore I am providing the following information for those who may find it
useful. Computer gurus can simply disregard the rest of this message.

o HOW CAN I SAVE A WEB PAGE (LIKE THE BB URL LIST) TO MY HARD DRIVE?
o HOW CAN THE BB URL LIST HELP ME?
o HOW CAN I QUICKLY TRANSLATE WEB PAGES WRITTEN IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE?
o HOW DO I SET UP MY SCREEN FOR EASY WEB PAGE TRANSLATIONS?

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding any of this
information.

Good luck in your research.
Anna Tanczos Kresh
Burgenland Bunch Internet/URL Editor

HOW CAN I SAVE A WEB PAGE (LIKE THE BB URL LIST) TO MY HARD DRIVE?
These instructions are for Internet Explorer and AOL 4.0, but other browsers
will have similar methods.
o Navigate online to the BB URL web page.
o Click on "File" (upper left corner of your screen).
o Choose "Save As" from the drop-down menu.
o Change the following options on the drop-down menu, if needed:
SAVE IN: Choose the folder where you would like to save the page,
for example: C:\Download
(You can see which locations are available by clicking
on the little down-arrow to the right of the save-in
space. Click on C, then on Download, then on Open -
or simply double-click on Download)
FILE NAME: Type in a new file name, or accept the one shown
SAVE AS TYPE: There are 2 options: HTML or Text.
Make sure this is set to HTML File (Saving as a text
file will not save the URLs).
o Click on "Save". Your web page is now saved to your hard disk
in the location you selected.

Note that if you right click on most hyperlinks, then choose Properties, you
can see the URL address for that link. From this drop-down menu you can also
click on an option to open the new site in a second browser window (this way
you can easily click back and forth between two windows).

The BB URL list points you to web sites that can help you in your research of
your Burgenland ancestors. These are the sites that have proved useful to
your fellow BB members and/or Editors. Listed below are the various
categories of links and some of the types of assistance they may provide.

WorldGenWeb INTERNET LINKS
- genealogical web sites all over the world (Our list points to those which
are of specific use in Austro-Hungarian research)

AUSTRIAN, AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
- information on a country's culture, history, tourism, official government
sites, state archives, churches and libraries, email and postal addresses and
phone numbers, villages, historical societies, country-specific data, mailing
lists
- various provinces of Austria, photos of villages and castles, and how-to
sites.

AUSTRIAN, BURGENLAND MUSIC SOURCES
- online music clips, lyrics, and histories of some of our favorite folk
songs and ethnic music
- sources for ordering music

My favorite site here offers live broadcasts from Radio Burgenland featuring
music, often ethnic, or news and conversation in our parents' own dialect. I
often have live Radio Burgenland music playing in the background while I work
at my computer, as I am doing right now. The Spielmusic CD is a particularly
good example of authentic Burgenland music.

BURGENLAND BUNCH MEMBERS' HOME PAGES

BURGENLAND INTERNET LINKS
- Burgenland-specific links, such as weather, tourism, museums, village and
province data, village newspapers, gemeinden home pages, schools, diocesan
churches, history, photos, etc.

CROATIAN INTERNET LINKS
- newspapers, music, country-specific data, history, government offices,
language translations, culture, and genealogy

FINDING NAMES, ADDRESSES, PHONE NUMBERS, E-MAIL
- US, Canadian, European, etc. phone and email directories; reverse
lookups; white and yellow pages; postal codes; search engines; meta-search
engines; newsgroup searches

GENEALOGY QUERY SITES
- query boards and search sites, how-to hints and tips

GENEALOGY RESEARCH LINKS (U.S.)
- U.S. library resources, inter-library loans
- African-American sites
- online census lists, Soundex converters
- online newspapers
- vital record sources, documents
- Library of Congress resources
- National Archives and Records Administration
- Social Security Death Indexes
- genealogical societies

GENEALOGY RESEARCH LINKS (OTHER)
- LDS (Mormon Church) Family Search, Ancestral File, International
Genealogical Index (IGI)
- perpetual calendars and calendar history
- genealogy products and tools
- sources of microfilm, CDs
- genealogy libraries and archives
- translators
- relationship charts
- meanings of names
- free genealogy lookups
- caution and guidelines on posting family data online
- heraldry, flags
- genealogy magazines and newsletters
- biographies
- library services on the Web
- newspapers
- scanning tips
- tutorials
- conversions - metric/English (measurements, recipes)
- extensive genealogy links

GENEALOGY SOFTWARE LINKS
- various vendors of genealogy software and their genealogical services.

HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
- history
- maps, guides
- addresses
- church links
- archives
- sources for microfilm
- village data
- culture, genealogical research
- newspapers
- multitude of Hungary-related links

LANGUAGE AIDS - TRANSLATORS, DICTIONARIES, etc.
- free language translators by word, sentence, paragraph
- translate entire web pages
- German script samples
- calendar and currency converters
- translations of church record headings
- online and downloadable dictionaries
- letter-writing guides and sample letters
- special character codes
- Hianzisch dialect Lexikon
- measurement conversions
- medical terms

MAP SITES ON THE INTERNET
- ancient, old, and current maps
- ethnic distributions
- village locator

PASSENGER SHIP INTERNET LINKS
- links that may help you find the passenger ship of your ancestor
- sources for photos and ship specifications
- sources for microfilms of passenger lists
- some online passenger lists.

SEARCH ENGINES
- US and European search engines
- mega-search engines
- extensive list of search engines

HOW CAN I QUICKLY TRANSLATE WEB PAGES WRITTEN IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE?
Several links on our BB Internet Links web page are capable of translating
entire web pages. One such link is the AltaVista Language Translator. You can
use this link to translate entire web pages and all of its hyperlinks.
Several languages are supported. Instead of typing in text to be translated,
simply type (or cut and paste) the desired web page's URL into the AltaVista
Translator, then choose one of the language pairs provided, click on the
"Translate" button, and the entire web page will be translated for you. If
the web page is divided into "frames" (which would normally interrupt a
translation), the URLs for each of the frames involved will be listed for you
and you may then select which links you wish to translate in order to view
all the translations in succession. Your language choices will be retained
until you leave the site or manually type in a new URL.

If you click on any hyperlinks on a translated page, that linked page will
also be translated. All you need do is click the "Translate" button again for
each new link. A good example of where you can test this capability is the
Oberwarter Zeitung at <http://www.bnet.at/oz/>;.

Although the translations are sometimes incomplete or too literal, the speed
and ease of use will more than make up for it. Simply type in one URL, choose
your language, and read entire newspapers online with simple mouse clicks.
You can also use several translators to get the best results.

HOW DO I SET UP MY SCREEN FOR EASY WEB PAGE TRANSLATIONS?
INTERNET EXPLORER: (for AOL, see below)
The following instructions will help you set up a Microsoft Internet Explorer
(MSIE) link for rapid web page translations. Netscape should work in a
similar fashion.

The "Links" menu bar near the top of an MSIE screen is modifiable. I have
changed mine to show the following icons: Other, AV, BB, BBORF, BBQ, BBURL,
I-Tran, WinUpdt, and a few others. These represent:
Other - a folder to contain the previous links which I seldom use
AV - the Alta-Vista Translator (for German/English translations)
BB - the Burgenland Bunch Home Page
BBORF - Radio Burgenland Live (I listen while I work)
BBQ - Burgenland Query web site
BBURL - Burgenland Bunch URL Listing web page
I-Tran - InterTran Translator (Hungarian, Croatian translations)
WinUpdt - Windows Update
In MSIE 4.0 using short names or initials permits me many more links on the
menu bar. When I want to navigate to a foreign language web page I simply
click on the "AV" or the "I-Tran" link and paste in the URL for the page I
want to translate. (If you right-click on a hyperlink on the BB URL page,
then click on Properties, the URL is displayed for you. You can then "cut and
paste" the URL into the Translator's URL space.)

Here is how to add the AltaVista Translator (AV) to your "Links" menu bar:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
(in Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
o Navigate to the AltaVista web site
o Right-click anywhere in an open area on the page (not on a hyperlinked area)
o Click on "Add to Favorites"
o In the Add Favorites dialog box, choose
- "No, just add the page to my favorites", then
- change the Name to "AV", then
- click on "Create in >>", then
- select the "Links" folder, and then
- click OK to exit.
In a few seconds the new AV link will appear in the Links bar.

If you wish to remove the AV link, right-click on the "AV" link, and then
click "Delete".

You can find these links in your C:\Windows\Favorites\Links folder.

Note: In IE 4.0 you can even set up these links to navigate quickly to a
favorite or often-used file or folder on your hard drive.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
(in Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
o Decide which "Link" you would like to replace
o Navigate to the AltaVista web site
o Click on "View" on the IE toolbar
o Click on "Options"
o Click the "Navigation" tab
o Click the arrow at the right side of the "Page" list box to expand the
list. There are five Quick Links. Click the one that you've decided to change
and then click "Use Current" (the currently-displayed AltaVista web page).
Modify the Name (e.g., AV), then click OK to save your change, and then close
the Options dialog box. The "AV" link will now appear in your "Links" list.

If you decide later that you'd like to have the original Quick Link back,
just choose View, Options, Navigation. Select the link again and then click
"Use Default". Now click OK to close the dialog box. Your original link is
restored.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
(in America Online (AOL))
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following information is taken from AOL's online Help facility, found by
going to Keyword: Help/Click on Getting Around and Using AOL, then
double-clicking on Customizing the Toolbar from the drop-down menu.

The AOL toolbar is a quick way of using many AOL features. You can also
customize the toolbar to connect to your favorite places.

*How to Add a Custom Icon to Your Toolbar:

1. Navigate to a favorite area in AOL.
2. Click the Favorite Places heart in the upper right corner of your area,
and drag it onto the purplish area of the toolbar. A dialog box pops up.
3. Use the scroll bar to find an icon you like, and click on it.
4. Click in the Label box, and type a one to eight-letter word that
identifies your favorite area. For example, if you like to solve puzzles
during your break, you might make an icon labeled Puzzles, and link directly
to the Puzzle Zone.

* How to Remove a Custom Icon from Your Toolbar:

1. Right-click on the icon you wish to remove.
2. Click Remove From Toolbar.
3. A dialog box asks if you're sure; click Yes to confirm. The icon
disappears.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AOL Tip: Although AOL has its own built-in browser, you can browse the web
using Internet Explorer if MSIE is loaded on your computer. I prefer to do
this because of the added features in IE that are not available under some
versions of AOL, such as
- performing word/phrase searches within web pages,
- sending links or whole web pages via email,
- opening a second (or third or more) web page in another window, and
- changing the size of the type (fonts).
The latter is particularly useful when wanting to print web pages and save
paper by using smaller type. In addition, you can experiment with the font
size to improve readability.

Also, many people may now have two Internet Service Providers (ISPs), such as
AOL and another local provider, as I do. If that is the case, then you can
use MSIE to browse within AOL, thereby sharing the same Favorites folder
under both ISPs. After you have connected to AOL, simply
- minimize the AOL screen, then
- bring up MSIE to do your browsing.

I do not have Netscape, but I assume you can do the same thing with AOL and
Netscape, sharing Favorites.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER IN VIENNA

Member Klaus Gerger made a contact with the LDS Family History Center in
Vienna. One of the volunteers there is new member Theresia Andruchowitz;
(). Theresia would be glad to correspond with anyone
researching Mischendorf. She's available via email but has no internet
capability.

The LDS Family History Center in Vienna is located in the 2nd Bezirk near the
Wiener Prater, BCKLIN-STRASSE 55. They are open TUESDAY from 1600 to 2000
o'clock, WEDNESDAY from 1500 to 1900, THURSDAY from 0900 to 1900, and
SATURDAY from 0800 to 1200. (Ed. Note: Please do not write them and ask them
to do research. As in all history centers, researchers must visit, order film
and do their own work. If you have questions concerning availability of
Burgenland film, ask the BB, we can answer your questions).

(Newsletter continues as no. 68A)

This thread: