BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 70B dtd 15 Dec. 1999
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:51:33 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 70B
(issued biweekly by
December 15, 1999

This third section of the 3 section newsletter has information concerning the
Need for Immigrant Stories, the Term "Windisch", Term Cadastra=Urbar, Latin
Terms Again, Christmas Time in the Pocono's and URL and Member Changes.

HAVE YOU WRITTEN YOUR BURGENLAND IMMIGRANT'S STORY? (G. Berghold)

The way to memorialize your Burgenland immigrant ancestors is by publishing
their story or "Auswandererschicksal". A few well chosen paragraphs of the
details surrounding their migration is all that's necessary. The who, what,
when, where and why of their courageous act, perhaps a brief commentary of
their success (or lack of same) in the new world and some words concerning
the number and general location of their descendants.

You don't have to have all of the data like trip agenda, exact date of
arrival or the name of the ship, but the more you have the better the story.
You need not be a professional writer, we'll be glad to edit your efforts and
run it through our spelling and grammar checker. We might even have some
information to add to what you send us. A sample story can be found in BB
newsletter no. 39A. There are others in the archives. They are a regular
feature in the German language Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft News.

With the advent of the Millennium, it will be over 100 years since many
Burgenland emigrants migrated. It won't be long before many of their stories
are lost forever, with only a few dates in old records remaining in obscure
places. Those of us who are tracing the stories of even earlier immigrants
know how hard it is to find data that could easily have been recorded by
those who once had the facts. If only our ancestors had archived just a few
more details!

Do your ancestors, yourself and your descendants the honor and immortality of
adding your family's immigrant story to the archives. Articles received will
be edited and returned to you for approval. (In the interests of privacy,
data concerning lives in being should be excluded.) They will then be
published in subsequent issues of the BB newsletter (you'll be told when). If
you like, hey can also be made available for publication in the
Burgenlndische Gemeinschaft newsletter which is distributed to Burgenland
emigrants and their descendants throughout the world. Better yet, you can
also share them with your grandchildren.

In an epilogue to one of my genealogies, I write in Lehigh Valley Deutsch:

"Wenn Sie die Familie Namen zu dein Enkel-Kindern geben, Denn wollen Sie und
dein Vorfahren im Herz und Errinnerung leben." (If you pass on the family
names to your grandchildren, then you and your ancestors will achieve
immortality in their hearts and memories.)

Let the year 2000 be the year your family's immigrant story was written and
archived. While many stories concerning Gssing district emigrants have been
written, there have been very few for those of the other six districts. Why
not be one of the first.

LDS PUBLISHED GENEALOGY HOLDINGS (by G. Berghold)

We are very fortunate in that the LDS has such a large collection of
Burgenland church and civil records. One can spend months scanning them. As a
result, we may miss some of the other material available. One group which
should be searched are the copies of printed genealogies that they've
collected or received from patrons.

Experts will tell you to always check for a published genealogy. I've found
this is rarely fruitful unless one has a famous ancestor whose life triggered
a biography or genealogy. Within the last few decades; however, the genealogy
bug has bitten so many people that more and more genealogies of
undistinguished families are being privately published. The LDS is often
given a copy and thus chances of finding a link are continuously improving.

I published two genealogies a few years ago. One for my Burgenland ancestors
and one for my wife's Palatinate (Penna. German) ancestors. I had reached a
point in my research where I was well and truly stuck and thought it was a
good time to publish what I had. I gave copies to local libraries, historical
societies and the LDS (I included a Gedcom submission as well, so my data is
also in the Ancestral File). Just recently I checked the internet LDS
genealogy holdings. I looked to see if my data was in their index. I found
both, aptly described with notations as to contents and even better, they've
been microfilmed and thus are available in that media (books can rarely be
ordered from the LDS). When I sent them my genealogies, I gave them full
permission to copy, film and distribute. I received a nice thank you letter
and it has taken about two years for them to add my material to their index
files (I understand two to three years is average-the LDS has a tremendous
amount of material to be microfilmed, indexed and filed-one contact who saw
their load of material said-"imagine a large room full of wash baskets of
film, computer disks and printed material-stacked to the ceiling.") In
addition the LDS is still microfilming records everywhere (see Konigshofer
article concerning Hungarian civil records 1896-forward which are coming
online).

To find a genealogy, search the LDS index using author or family name. You
just may find a link. It will pay to check the index every so often to find
new additions.
I needn't dwell on the absolute need to send the LDS copies of any
genealogies you may have published (as well as a Gedcom of your data). Future
generations will bless you.

WINDISCH-A REGIONAL TERM FOR THE SLAVIC PEOPLES CALLED "SLOVENE"

John Lavendoski asks Albert Schuch to comment on the term "Windish" as it
pertains to groups prevalent in the Burgenland, Hungary and in the new
Republic of Slovenia (formerly part of Yugoslavia and prior to 1918, the
Austro/Hungarian province of Carniola).

John writes- "So then, is the term "Windish" some sort of (racial) slur or
pejorative ??"

Albert answers: Yes and No. Basically it is an alternative word in German
language (mainly used in dialect) for "Slovenian". According to the article I
sent: Sunday, May 31, 1998: BETHLEHEM AND MURSKA SOBOTA TO CELEBRATE TWO
YEARS AS SISTER CITIES by SONIA CSENCSITS, The Morning Call] Slovenians of
Bethlehem call themselves Windish. In the Morning Call Archives I also found
evidence of a "St. John's Windish Lutheran Church" and a "Windish Lutheran
Sick and Benefit Society" in Bethlehem. Surely they would not use the name if
they felt it was pejorative.

I think we have a similar situation here as with the standard German
"Kroaten" and the dialect "Krowod(n)": The dialect word is probably often
used in a pejorative way, so it is getting a negative connotation. I grew up
with only dialect spoken in the family and "Krowod" to me was just another
normal word. In high school some of my schoolmates were Croatians. They told
my they didn't like to be called "Krowod", because for them it had this
negative, pejorative connotation. So I stopped using the dialect word,
although I had used it without the slightest intention to insult anybody.

Similar situation with the gypsies: they have been called "Zigeuner" for
centuries, and today they insist to be called "Roma", because "Zigeuner" has
been used in pejorative ways so often.

Another example is the name Hianzen [spelled "Heantsn"] for our local German
"tribe" of Southern and Central Burgenland. There is an ongoing dispute as to
whether it is a mockery name given to us by the neighboring Styrians or
(Lower) Austrians or not. Again it depends on how people feel about it. The
last years have seen something like a renaissance of a pride in the Hianzish
dialect and heritage, a Hianzish Society has been founded etc.

When the Burgenland was about to be founded in 1919, Austrian politicians
first came up with the name "Heinzenland" ("Heinzen" being the standard
German word for the dialect word "Hianzen"). The German population of the
Neusiedler See area, today's northern Burgenland, refused to accept such a
name. They insisted that they were not to be called Hianzish.

Again, there is no easy yes or no answer to your question. With Windish and
Slovenian, one also has to keep in mind that the words are very different.
The Slovenians as a small nation (now also an independent country after
centuries of foreign rule) probably have an interest that all members of
their nation can be easily identified as such.

Extracts of the article from the Morning Call archives follows:
Sunday, May 31, 1998
BETHLEHEM (PA) AND MURSKA SOBOTA TO CELEBRATE TWO YEARS AS SISTER CITIES
by SONIA CSENCSITS, The Morning Call

The bond between Bethlehem to its Slovenian Sister City Murska Sobota will be
strengthened next month with the second anniversary celebration of the Sister
City partnership.

A highlight of the celebration will be the visit of Dimitrij Rupel, the
Ambassador of Slovenia to the United States and the United Mexican States,
who will be guest speaker for next Sunday's anniversary dinner. Said Rupel, a
college professor, former mayor and Slovenia official who has served as
ambassador for six months, "I am an old student of America. And, I am an
admirer of this country. I am glad to be here." Of his visit to Bethlehem, he
said, "I would love to meet every Slovenian,
of whatever generation. I will be delighted to be of assistance for any
projects or plans for the people of Bethlehem. I am full of joy when I say
this. "I have always cherished the Sister City program. As Mayor of Ljubljana
I encouraged the people to get in touch with our Sister Cities. Regarding
this relationship between Bethlehem and Slovenia; I find this connection
important in terms of ongoing relations between Slovenia and the United
States. It is good for our people to have found each other.

"There were problems connected with certain falsities of the historical
population of the United States who were called Windish which was an
Austrian/German misnomer.
"Now that we've settled our problems we are undergoing a tremendous boost and
I am very happy that I can help. I shall do whatever I can do. We shall be
engaged in any events."

Stephen Antalics, of Wayne, has delved extensively into the Windish question.
In an article he wrote for a Slovenian publication, Antalics said that
Windish is a word derived from the German word "Vend" used to distinguish
between groups of Slavs in the early 1600s. The word Windish, which is used
to identify Slovenes, is used only in the City of Bethlehem. Others who
emigrated to America and moved into Slovene
communities let go of the word Wend, and learned about their true Slovenian
ethnic origins, Antalics said

The Bethlehem Slovenian/Windish community draws members from the
congregations of St. Joseph's Slovenian Roman Catholic Church and St. John's
Evangelical Windish Lutheran Church, and from the communities surrounding
Bethlehem.

Murska Sobota, a town of 20,000, became the third Sister City for Bethlehem
in June 1996 and joined Tondabayashi, Japan, and Schwabisch Gmund, Germany.
Slovenia, once part of Yugoslavia, declared its independence in June 1991 and
adopted its constitution in December 1991. Nestled between Austria, Hungary,
Italy and Croatia, the ethnic population of about 2 million includes 91
percent Slovene, 3 percent Croat, 2 percent Serb, 1 percent Muslim and 3
percent other nationalities. The country is overwhelmingly Roman Catholic.
Manufacturing and mining offer the largest number of employment
opportunities(end of extract)

Ed. Note: BB Newsletter 34 covered the development of the term "Windisch" (as
explained above)in some detail.

TERM CADASTRA EQUALS URBAR (Bob Schatz answers question in BB News No. 69B)

Bob writes: I'm sure that you've gotten input on this already, but I wanted
to respond to the request for info on the "1766 Cadastra" mentioned in the
last
newsletter.

"Cadastra" is another designation for Urbar or Urbarium (the other German
term is "Kadaster"). The 1766-67 Urbaria are available for research on LDS
microfilm. The only number I have is for Vas County, villages from L-O:
1529798; I'm sure that numbers above and below that one extend the series.

The 1766-67 urbarial survey was the result of the urbarial reforms issued by
Maria Theresia after "The Farmers' Unrest" of 1765-66. As you know, urbaria
only record the heads of each household in a village and the amount of land
they held as tenants of their manor or domain, along with the obligations
owed as "rent." As such, they're not censuses as we know them in that they
do not record whole families.

LATIN TERMS AGAIN (G. Berghold)
Those old Hungarian Latin terms keep causing our members trouble. We have
written a half dozen articles or more on the subject, but here we go again. A
recent inquirer writes: << Could use some help with a Latin word. A number of
my Hungarian ancestors are listed as "inquilinus" or "tenant farmers."
Suddenly, I have come across one who is listed as "subinquilinus." YIKES!!
Does that mean he was "less than a farmer" or "worked under a peasant farmer"
or was a "retired peasant farmer." Or even something else. I would appreciate
any help with this. >>

ANSWER: In the pre 1848 period when only the aristocracy could "own" land,
many degrees of tenant relationship were developed. Many were carried over
into the post 1848 period. As the original (more or less equal) village
"sessio" plots of land came under new ownership or inheritance transfers and
became larger, the possibility of tenants leasing part of their holdings to
sub tenants arose. Thus subinquilinus is in effect the tenant of a tenant.
Consider a "sllner" (only owned a house) whose livelihood would have been to
raise or work grapes in a rented vineyard which was in turn "rented" from the
aristocracy by someone else as part of a larger "inheritable" holding. There
were also cases of "retired" or older tenants whose children were incapable
or not interested in working the holding, thus a sub tenant would be found.
Pre or post 1848, a tenant did not want to give up his inheritable "right" to
pass on a desirable tenancy.

A relationship unknown in American land ownership, although some share
croppers did hire help and even provided a dwelling of sorts. Some of the
Scottish crofter arrangements are similar. You may also be interested in the
following partial extract from one of our newsletters:

MORE ON TERMINOLOGY (from Fritz Knigshofer)
Subject-Terminology on farmers etcFrom "Glossarium mediae et infimae
Latinitatis Regni Hungariae," Teubner, Leipzig, 1901, we now have clarity on
the meaning of octavalista. It is, as Albert (Schuch) has suggested, the
term for a full farmer who owns (or tills) at least one eighth of a sessio.
In the words of the glossarium: 'octavalista: colonus; dominus octavae
partis unius sessionis; in Hungarian: nyolczadtelkes.'

The word is related to "quartalista," the tiller of the fourth part of a
sessio. Half of a sessio was called "media sessio," while a full sessio was
"integra sessio." However, I found no term describing the owner or tiller of
these larger sizes.

The word "colonus" is defined as "qui domino operales vectigales praestat,
operarius colonus;" My Latin deserts me on this text and perhaps one of you
could enlighten the meaning. The Hungarian translation, however, is given as
jobbgy-gazda; jobbgy; and paraszt. Famu(o)lus is translated to "szolg"
which I believe is the Hungarian word for servant or employee.

Agricola is (surprisingly) not defined in this book. However, it is defined
in the new, not yet finished Lexicon Latinitatis Medii Aevi Hungariae.
Accordingly, "agricola" is a person "qui agrum colit" (who tills the field);
agricultor; arator. The Hungarian translation is stated as "fldmves;
szntvet." To my surprise, in the older (Teubner) dictionary, "neocolonus"
states "v.[vide??] zingarus" while zingarus describes a gypsy... I can't
believe this translation. By the way, from another Hungarian-Latin
dictionary, I got the translation of zsellr as "inquilinus." I have
frequently encountered inquilinus in my search, but have so far always
translated it as somebody who lives (in rent) in somebody else's house.
However, I would agree that the translation to Sllner (zsellr?) would make
much more sense since, as I wrote before, I have not been able so far to make
out a Latin word for the many Sllners who no doubt were recorded in the
matrikels, but I have often come across inquilinus or sub-inquilinus.

A BURGENLAND CHRISTMASTIME IN THE POCONO'S (also by Anna Kresh)

What a weekend!! For the first time Rudy and I attended the Walt Groller
Christmastime Weekend in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. It was truly
an unforgettable experience. The food and camaraderie were great, and the
music was fantastic. There was something to do or hear the entire weekend
from 2:00 p.m. Friday afternoon until 5:00 p.m. Sunday. Three bands--the Walt
Groller and Joe Weber Orchestras from the Lehigh Valley, and Marv Herzog from
Frankenmuth, Michigan--played Christmas music and all the old familiar German
and Burgenlnder tanzlieder. There was virtually non-stop dancing and
singing, except when we were eating those wonderful meals prepared by the
Pocono Manor kitchen while youth choir members sang carols and strolling
musicians played our requests. There was a delightful Christmas Concert by
Norman and Rhonda Stull and Family -- reminiscent of the von Trapp Family
Singers. I believe Norman is the saxophonist/flutist for the Walt Groller
Orchestra. He and his wife operate a music school.

There were Walt Groller's European travel videos; an old-fashioned carol
sing; polka, waltz and line dance lessons in the Ballroom; and Groller music
for Sunday Mass. Walt is sponsoring three trips this coming year - a 2-week
trip in July that includes the Oberammergau Passion Play (waiting list only);
a tour of the Canadian Rockies; and the annual winter cruise at the end of
January--this year to Ft. Lauderdale, the Florida Keys, Cozomel, Cancun, the
Grand Cayman Islands, etc. Some people have attended all 17 Christmastime
weekends, originally held at the Buck Hill Inn, then moved in 1990 to Mount
Pocono. There were 380 attendees and many seem to use this time for family
reunions in the old world atmosphere of which our parents spoke so often.
Nineteen members of the Ifkovits clan were there from the states of CT, SC,
NJ, NY, PA -- I'm sure I missed someone. Two other attendees are planning to
join our BB group.

Burgenland Bunch members Ed Ifkovits (CT) and Bill and Helen Stubits (PA)
were there, along with Ed Ifkovits (a Northampton High School classmate of
mine) and his wife Gerri from SC. Our three families are still trying to sort
through a maze of Kroatisch Tschantschendorf records to find our common
links. As my husband Rudy says, "you're all related" -- actually, I can't
tell you what he really says. I had so been looking forward to meeting Lori
Ifkovits after all of our BB email, but sadly, she was still recovering from
a recent illness and was unable to attend. I finally got to meet the CT Ed
Ifkovits (Ifkyel) and Bill and Helen Stubits, but Bill became ill before
Friday evening's cocktail party and spent at least the weekend in the local
hospital with a suspected heart attack that I believe was finally diagnosed
as a case of angina. We hope and pray that everyone has since recovered.

Some of the most enjoyable activities of the weekend happened after-hours,
when out came the delicious pastries, the Jagermeister, and those wonderful
button boxes. BB member Ed Ifkovits (CT) and his cousin John Szerensits are
superb accordionists who, accompanied by His name is Richard Bienick on the
Boom-Bas (in various hilarious costumes), captivated us with all the old
tunes. Imagine the sight of at least 100 revelers marching, singing and
dancing through the halls to the sounds of "Muss Ich Denn" at 2:00 a.m.
rousing everyone foolish enough to try sleeping. That's gemtlichkeit!!

BURGENLAND BUNCH INTERNET LINKS - ADDITIONS, REVISIONS 12/15/99
(from Internet/URL Editor Anna Tanczos Kresh)

BURGENLAND BUNCH MEMBERS' HOME PAGES
o Nielsen, Ralph <http://homepages.tesco.net/~ralphnielsen>; - The East Riding
of Yorkshire, England; Strodl Family Tree

o Lavendoski, John <http://208.55.13.178/family_tree001.htm>; - Texas;
Jurasits/Yurasits Family Tree

CROATIAN INTERNET LINKS
o Croatian Villages <http://www.nn.hr/Glasilo/97/0209a.htm>; - List of
Croatian villages by county (Lea Buzby)

GENEALOGY RESEARCH LINKS (OTHER)
o Genealogy.com <http://www.genealogy.com/>; - database search, software,
CDs, free home pages, how-to articles, newsletters, links, etc.

o WWII Military Research <http://www.uwm.edu/~jpipes/contacts.html>; -
Addresses for Information and Research; list of contacts for information on
WWII German soldiers; MIAs and KIAs; see also SS Divisions
<http://www.uwm.edu/~jpipes/ssdivs.html>; (Lea Buzby)

HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
o About Hungary <http://www.mezo.com/Hungary/hungary.html>; - Good short
synopsis of Hungary's history (reinstated - site online again)

o Hungarian Lutheran Church <http://www.lutheran.hu/>; - Evangelical-Lutheran
Church in Hungary (new address)

MAP SITES ON THE INTERNET
o Croatian Maps <http://www.applicom.com/maps/>; - Maps of Croatia and
Bosnia-Herzegovina (Lea Buzby)

SEARCH ENGINES
o Public Voice sterreichische Suchmaschinen
<http://www.public.co.at/public/>; (reinstated - site online again)

MISCELLANEOUS
Bob Unger sent an interesting site. It will not be added to our links page,
but you may find it interesting.
o Project Gutenberg <http://www.gutenberg.net>; - (work in progress) library
of online books in the public domain (currently 2,250 entries and growing
daily - 30 to 40 books added per week); try searching on "German" language
only (with no other entries); many books by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

MEMBER CHANGES

NEW
Marlene Tschida Bryan, (); Kaiserslautern, Germany,
researching TSCHIDA, KRACHER from Apetlon settled in Morrison County, MN,
approximately 1880.

Michael Dorner; (); Minneapolis, MN. DORNER, GUTTMANN, Burg
(Hannersdorf). Settled in Chicago

Gary Fink; (), Chula Vista, CA. FINK, FARIKAS (FARKAS?),
SCHWANN, UNGER,MULLNER, CSIDA (TSCHIDA?), MICHLITS. Wallern.

Ty Keller; (); Rowlett, TX. TRAUTMAN, TRAUPMAN,
TRAUPMANN. Gssing (Glasing), settled in Bethlehem, PA.

Rachael M. Lane; (); Pinson, AL. RECKER, STIMPFL, EBERHARDT,
KROBOTH. Gssing. Settled in or around New York, NY

Joe Liebezeit, (); Arcata, CA . LIEBEZEIT, HOFFMANN,
MALITS, TASCHNER, Reinersdorf, Settled: Pittsburg, PA (early 1920's)

Frank Paukowits; (); New York, NY. PAUKOWITS
(Winten-Eberau) settled in the NYC area in the 1920's; KARLOVITS ( Winten):
JAUTZ , BODISCH ( Glasing); MAGDITS. Horvath (Punitz) settled in the New
Jersey area in the 1920's.

Ronald Suchodolski; (); Chicago,Il. KAIPEL (KEIPPEL);
Riedlingsdorf.

Norlene Tchida, (); Tempe,AZ. TSCHIDA, TSIDA,
WEGLEITNER, GRUBER, KOLLER, VOLKERDORFER, IHOLBAUER, MAN, Illmitz. Settled in
Marshall County,SD.

Edmund Traupmann; (); Wayne, NJ. TRAUPMANN,
(grandfather), PAUKOVITS (grandmother). Glassing, bei Gussing

John Michael Tschida, (); White Bear Lake, MN. TSCHIDA,
Apetlon. Settled in St. Paul, Minn

Joyce Vogrin, (); Huntington Beach, CA. STROHRIGL from Harka,
(Magyarfalva), Sopron Megye, Hungary. Settled in Chicago.

REINSTATE (Cancelled in error)
Jolan E. Fagerberg; (); Fort Collins, CO. OSWALD (or
Oszwald) and HORVATH. Vasvrsvr:, now Rotentrum an der Pinka. They did not
emigrate, I did from Hungary in 1956.

CORRECTION
Helga Yautz, (), Bayonne, NJ. WAGNER, Punitz; SVETITS,
Steinfurt. (Address Change)

John C. Seitz; (), Southern Shores, NC. SEITZ, ALBERT,
BIEBER/BEIBER, Gu"ssing. All settled in Easton, PA. area. (address change)

UPDATED DATA
Michelle Belusar; (), Santa Clara, CA. ZONCSICH &
SCHATOVICH; Frank Zoncsich and Sidonia Schatovich were born in
Unterpullendorf-Alsopulya (Central Burgenland) and emigrated to South Bend,IN
around 1903. Additional family names from Unterpullendorf include
PRIKOSZOVITS, TESCH, MEISLER, KOCSIS, DOMNANITS, and BILLISICH.

End of Newsletter

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF Co-ordinator & Editor Newsletter>
(Gerald J. Berghold; Winchester, VA )
Burgenland Editor> (Albert Schuch; Vienna
& Kleinpetersdorf, Austria)
Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson)
Internet/URL Editor> (Anna Tanczos Kresh; Butler,PA)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research>(Fritz Knigshofer)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland> (Frank Teklits)
Home Page village lists> (Bill Rudy)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)
WorldGenWeb -Austria, RootsWeb Liason-Burgenland > (Charles
Wardell, Austria)

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached from Home Page hyperlinks)

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

WORLDGEN WEB BURGENLAND QUERY BOARD
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Austria/Burgenland

Burgenland Bunch Newsletter distributed courtesy of (c) 1999 RootsWeb.com,
Inc. <http://www.rootsweb.com/>; P.O. Box 6798, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6798

Roots Web BB newsletter archives index and threaded search facility available
from http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm

Newsletter and List Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted; Provide
Credit.

This thread: