BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 73 dtd 31 Jan 2000
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:12:52 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 73
(issued biweekly by
January 31, 2000
(all rights reserved)

I SEARCH FOR ANCESTORS SO I HAVE SOMEONE TO BLAME FOR MY INADEQUACIES!
-Anonymous

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) To join, see our homepage. We
can't help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are
appreciated. Please add your name to email, otherwise we must search four
large membership lists. This first section of the 3 section newsletter
contains data concerning the Village of Andau, Questions Concerning Village
of Bildein, Family History Center-Again, Post 1920 Civil Records, Geography &
Genealogy, and Tschaar Trip Reported in OZ.

VILLAGE OF ANDAU (from Burgenland Editor-Albert Schuch)
(Ed. Note: this starts a new village series which will feature villages in
northern Burgenland, in the vicinity of the Neusiedler See. Andau is found
east of Eisenstadt on the eastern side of the lake right next to the
Hungarian border and the Hungarian town of Mosonszentjanos.)

Andau
-----
(source: Josef Loibersbeck: Am Waasen. In: Volk und Heimat 1966, # 8-10;
summarized and translated by Albert Schuch, January 2000)

The first document about Andau ("Anthau") dates from 1546 and mentions 12
farmers: Thomas GRTZEL, Stefan GLTL, Wolfgang BENESCH, Christian WINTER,
Nikolaus TRAPOLD, Kolomann KIRNER, Matthias GRIESSBACHER, Wolfgang and
Matthias FLEISCHHACKER, Zenz ALBER, Thomas MANDL and Franz SCHWARZ. There
were also 9 deserted farms - probably destroyed during the Turkish War of
1529. The last three farmers from the above list were exempt from taxation,
which indicates that they were new settlers.

The village grew again and by 1582 consisted of 21 houses, but in 1594 it
suffered again, as it was looted and torched by retreating Imperial troops
following the Turkish seizure of Raab. In 1605 and 1621 Bocskay's and
Bethlen's Hungarian troops operated in the area.

In 1659 the inhabitants were mostly Lutherans, nonetheless their church was
taken away by the Catholic authorities and re-catholicized (St. Nicholas).
Both Lutherans and Catholics had their priest in St. Johann. Andau had a
Lutheran teacher.

In 1680 Andau's teacher was Matthias GROSS (31 y, from St. Peter). The
ecclesiastical inspection of 1696 counted 434 Lutherans and only 14
Catholics. Teacher was Johann STROSCHITZ, Catholic, 42 y.

In 1712 the parish Tadten was established. Andau belongs to it since 1716.
Starting with 1742, baptisms and marriages were carried out in Andau itself
and Andau had its own church records.

In 1742 Johann GOTTSCHLICH was teacher - and inn keeper. The first surnames
mentioned in the new church records (1742) are: SCHEIBELHOFER, UNGER,
PELTZER, BECK, SATTLER, PILLMANN (SPIELMANN), HAHN, FUCHS, WEIDINGER,
THRINGER, TELL, BESTENLEHNER, WURZINGER, BRSEL, REHBCK, SCHWARZ, WALLY
(VLI), LYDI, DONGISCH (DONGS).

It is said that in 1781, when the Lutheran religion was officially
"tolerated" again, many inhabitants moved to Gols, where a Lutheran parish
was established.
In 1802 Andau became an independent parish, with Franz OBERGMEINER as its
first priest (until 1833). His successors were Josef GANGL (1834-44), Josef
FOIDECK (1844-54) and Georg FRST (1854-97; born in Csorna).

Teachers: Anton RATH (1791-1803), Laurent LECHNER (ca. 1804; praeceptor =
assisting teacher), Lorenz DUDOVITSCH (1806-9; praeceptor), Matthias MESSERER
(1807-20), Ignaz MITTERNAST (1822-32; married Theresia DONGISCH), Johann
PRAGER (1833-37), Josef BRAND (1857-71), Franz FRIEDRICH (1878-91), Nikolaus
GILITSCH (1896; from Zala Megye).

In the 1850's and 1860's, Andau consisted of 34 farmers' houses, 67 Sllner
houses and 162 Hulden houses. At that time the land was transferred to them
from the Domain Ungarisch-Altenburg (Magyar-Ovar), and a farmer received 150
Joch of land, a Sllner 34 and a Hulde 6-7 Joch. They also lived separated
from each other: The farmers lived on the main street, the Sllners lived in
the Sllner street and the Huldens lived in the Hulden street.

The children from the workers of Lehndorf and Albrechtsfeld attended school
in Andau. Both were nearby agricultural estates (called "Meierhof"). In 1873
Lehndorf had 117 inhabitants and Albrechtsfeld 130. Andau itself had a
population of 1433. Most of them were Catholics, only 5 Lutherans in Andau, 6
in Lehndorf and 2 in Albrechtsfeld. Also 8 Jews in Andau.

Further Priests: Franz GRUBER (1897-1907), Karl GRUBER (1907-18; nephew of
Franz), Johann LEX (1919-1937), Johann KUGLER (1938-42), Rudolf MITTL
(1942-59), Johann LIEBENTRITT (1959-?).

Teachers: Johann SIMHART (1900-27), Johann DANY (1927-36), Josef SCHMAL
(1936-38), Josef ARTH (1938-45 and 1954-57), Anna SCHMAL nee SIMHART
(1945-47), Ernst TSCHIDA (1957-?).

Albrechtsfeld had a school for some time until 1933.
Statistical data: 1833: 160 houses, 1029 inhabitants; 1880: 244 houses, 1980
inh.; 1900: 307 houses, 2192 inh.; 1934: 456 houses, 2655 inh.

VILLAGE OF BILDEIN-QUESTIONS (Lavendoski, Berghold, Schuch, Teklits)
This question started a thread which caught the attention of a number of
people. If you are interested in Bildein, read on.