BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 75 dtd 29 Feb. 2000
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:32:02 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 75
(issued biweekly by )
February 29, 2000
(all rights reserved)

"Genealogists live in the past lane."- Ralph Nielsen

THE 75TH BB NEWS!

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) To join, see our homepage. We
can't help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are
appreciated. Please add your name to email, otherwise we must search large
membership lists. Staff and web site addresses are listed at the end of each
newsletter section "B". This first section of the 3 section newsletter
contains Some BB Anniversary Historical Highlights, a series of family names;
Jurasits Name in Viennese Residency Records, Dongisch Name and Spelling of
Family Names; Family Name Venus, an Hungarian Name Change; Jakes, and a
Croatian Name Change.

SOME BB 75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS
* THE BB IS BORN - Introduction-Issue No. 1 dtd 11 Jan. 1997
(Distributed to 9 contacts.) I've just faced up to the fact that we really
are a Burgenland genealogical group. I've decided that I might as well issue
an occasional informal newsletter... I'd like to keep this simple and
interesting and not get too sophisticated or involved... (Hah- little did I
know what I was getting into!)

BB NEWS No.-4 dtd Feb. 5, 1997
* HAP ANDERSON DEVELOPS BURGENLAND BUNCH HOMEPAGE!
Kudos to Hap Anderson for the superb job he did putting together a Burgenland
Bunch Homepage. If you haven't seen it, do so immediately! It's a treat! I
can't offer enough superlatives. It will help us all by increasing our
Burgenland research contacts. (and it did!)

BB NEWS No.-various 1997-98
* MEMBERS VOLUNTEER- EDITORS, CONTRIBUTING EDITORS, GRAPHICS DESIGN AND
HOMEPAGE HELP (see Staff for Names of Present Volunteers-wish I had space to
list all of the contributors)

BB NEWS -No. 26 dtd December 31, 1997
* ALBERT SCHUCH BECOMES BURGENLAND EDITOR & CONTRIBUTES "ALBERT'S VILLAGE
LIST" AND THE "VILLAGE SERIES"
(One of many superb contributions!) This edition of the newsletter contains
articles on Tschanigraben (the Father Leser Series), BURGENLAND VILLAGE DATA
FROM THE PATER GRATIAN ANTON LESER, O. F. M. (1873-1949) EXCERPTS (continued
from letters nos. 21-25; by Albert Schuch)

BB NEWS -No. 26A dtd December 31, 1997
* BB GROWS & GROWS
Glückliches Neujahr! I am both amazed and gratified at how our membership has
grown during this first year of publication...If we have another ten fold
increase in membership some changes will have to be made, but we'll see what
the future brings.

* TRIP REPORTS BECOME FEATURED ITEMS
(One of many!) A PERSONAL APPROACH TO BURGENLAND GENEALOGY (by Robert F.
Unger) "I recently wrote to share my joy in actually finding living Unger
blood relatives in Burgenland."

BB NEWS -No. 31 dtd March 15, 1998
* BB INTERVIEWED BY RADIO AUSTRIA
This edition of the newsletter contains articles on the village of Deutsch
Tschantschendorf (no. 20 of the Father Leser series), Recent BB Coverage on
ORF (Austrian Radio-we started getting international coverage)

BB NEWS -No. 37A dtd June 15, 1998
* FRITZ KONIGSHOFER BECOMES AUSTRIAN EDITOR & CONTRIBUTES MANY ARTICLES FROM
PAST & PRESENT

(One of many!) BURGENLAND EMIGRATION AS GLIMPSED FROM "DER VOLKSFREUND"
(excerpts, translations and article by Fritz Konigshofer)

BB NEWS -SPECIAL EDITION No. 33A dtd April 15, 1998
* ANNA KRESH BECOMES INTERNET EDITOR & DEVELOPS URL LIST

INTERNET/URL EDITOR CREATES NEW URL LIST
In our ongoing efforts to bring you Burgenland information, we are
instituting a new service. The number of sites dealing with genealogy and the
Burgenland are increasing rapidly. As a result the Burgenland Bunch has added
a new Staff Position, that of Internet/URL Editor. Anna Kresh, who you know
for her many newsletter articles, has agreed to fill this position.

BB NEWS -No. 55 dtd April 15, 1999
* ALBERT SCHUCH BEGINS OZ SERIES

FIRST OZ QUERIES IN PRINT (from Albert Schuch)
The queries # 1 to # 3 were printed in the OZ on 7 April, following a short
introductory article entitled: "Was wurde eigentlich aus ..." Translation:
What ever became of ...our relatives in America?

BB NEWS -No. 55B dtd April 15, 1999
* MIDWEST PICNIC BECOMES ANNUAL SOCIAL EVENT
* WORLDGENWEB QUERY BOARD ESTABLISHED BY CHARLES WARDELL

SECOND ANNUAL MIDWEST BURGENLAND PICNIC (from Susan M. Peters)
Hi Everyone, Mark your calendars! Hap Anderson has made the reservations for
the picnic at Wabun Park, adjacent to Minnehaha Park, in Minneapolis,
Minnesota for the Midwest chapter of the Burgenland Bunch. Same place as last
year.

WORLD GEN WEB POSTINGS-G. Berghold
I am very pleased that our BB members are reading these queries and posting
answers. A great way to share our data. All queries are archived and can
found at WGW-Burgenland, part of WorldGenWeb-Austria hosted by Charles
Wardell.

BB NEWS -No. 55A dtd April 15, 1999
* FRANK TEKLITS TRANSLATES "VOLK AN DER GRENZE"

This second section of the 3 section newsletter is the first installment of
The Teklits Translation of "Volk an der Grenze ..." (People on the Border),
the history of the Croatians in Burgenland, written by Johann Dobrovich.

BB NEWS -No. 59 dtd June 15, 1999
* CHARLES WARDELL INSTRUMENTAL IN HAVING BB NEWSLETTERS DISTRIBUTED VIA
ROOTS-L

PLEASE READ - BURGENLAND BUNCH CHANGE - PLEASE READ
We are 2 1/2 years old. Like the terrible two of childhood, we are very
active! Membership is over 320 and we now represent most villages in the
Burgenland which sent immigrants to America....Due to the size of the group,
I can no longer efficiently distribute newsletters via my AOL email
facilities. Effective with issue number 61, newsletters will be distributed
via a list service provided by Roots Web, the same organization that hosts
our WGW posting board.

BB NEWS -No. 63B dtd August 31, 1999
* JOHN LAVENDOSKI COPIES SZT PETERFA CHURCH RECORDS-FIRST USE OF DIGITAL
PHOTOGRAPHY TO COPY BURGENLAND RECORDS

My Family Trip to Austria and Hungary And My Attempt to Digitally Photograph
Various Church Records by John Lavendoski...(Ed. Note: a resounding success).

BB NEWS -No. 67 dtd October 31, 1999
* NEW SEARCHABLE ARCHIVES BECOME AVAILABLE FROM ROOTS-L

BB NEWS - No. 71 dtd December 31, 1999
* LARGE MEMBERSHIP MAKES IT NECESSARY TO FORMALIZE SIGN-UP PROCEDURES

IN PLACE OF THE REGULAR NEWSLETTER WE ARE PUBLISHING A STATEMENT OF OUR
OBJECTIVES AND OUR NEW MEMBER INVITATION AND WELCOME LETTERS.

BB NEWS- No. 75 dtd February 29, 2000
* 75TH ANNIVERSARY ISSUE DISTRIBUTED TO 478 MEMBERS
(end of article)

JURASITS NAME IN VIENNA RESIDENCY RECORDS (Fritz Königshofer to John
Lavendoski et al)

(Ed. Note: Among the more difficult tasks in tracing ancestors is finding
them again if they relocate. We like to imagine that families in earlier
times remained in one place, but there was almost as much movement as today.
Once moved, they're lost. As indicated below; however, many families from the
Burgenland region migrated to the capital seeking work. While the Viennese
church records are not easy to find, the residency records are available from
the LDS. As people entered or left Vienna (and other Empire cities),
residency cards were required and put on file. The LDS has filmed some and if
you've lost an ancestor, it may be worthwhile to scan them. They can be found
partially alphabetized in the LDS Index under Austria-Vienna-Domicile
Records-numbers are in the 1325000 microfilm series.)

Fritz writes:
In the course of giving a hand to descendents of a Juracsics family who lived
in the Vienna of the early 20th century, I studied the microfilm with the
Vienna residency records of the time as available from LDS. So far, I
managed to find the right film with the male registrations. In this section
of film, there are quite a few Jurasits who had come to Vienna in search of
work or to gain a foothold, and who hailed from Szentpéterfa. Let me first
give you merely a summary of what I found. More detailed notes are
available, in case you are interested. The Vienna registrations use German
first names. I have added the Hungarian equivalents. In this e-mail, I will
limit myself to the registration entries I found of the Jurasits from
Prostrum (Szentpéterfa), their birth dates, and when they lived/visited
Vienna. Spelling is as found in the records. All the ones I am listing were
born in Szentpéterfa, and were roman-catholic.

Andras Juraschic, b. 10 Nov. 1891, in Vienna in 1910

Anton (Antal) Juraschitz, b. 8 Jan. 1872, belonging to Unterwart, other
spellings Juracsitz, Jurasits, Jurasitsch; in Vienna several times between
1907 and 1915; married; wife in the home town (which was likely Unterwart)

Franz (Ferenc) Juraschitz, b. 24 Jan. 1895; belonging to Szombathely; in
Vienna 1911

Franz Juraschitz, b. 15 March 1884; belonging to Szombathely; in Vienna 1902
and 1911

Franz Jurasics, b. 5 Nov. 1876; married; wife Rosalia Jurasics, born 13 May
1877; in Vienna 1909

Franz Juraschitz, b. 7 Nov. 1892; belonging to Szombathely; in Vienna 1910

Georg (György) Jurasic, b. about 1853; wife in Hungary; in Vienna 1903

Johann (János) Jurasits, b. 1862; married; in Vienna 1904 (?)

Johann Jurasits, b. 23 Jan. 1892 in Kroatisch Ernschdorf [Ehrensdorf?],
Hungary; in Vienna 1909; departed Vienna on 3 Nov. 1909 for America [This is
the only one I am including in this list who was not born in Szentpéterfa,
though relatively nearby.]

Josef (József) Jurasits, b. about 1888/89; in Vienna 1905

Josef Jurasics, b. about 1870/71; married; in Vienna 1903

Josef Juraschitz, b. 27 Aug. 1893; belonging to Szombathely; in Vienna 1911

Julius (Gyula) Jurasitz, b. 1884 (?); in Vienna 1902

Stefan (István) Juraschitz, b. 22 June 1883; in Vienna 1904 and 1914; married
between 1904 and 1914; wife Theresia; drafted into the military from 30
August 1914

Stefan Jurasitz, b. 16 March 1883; in Vienna 1910; single [This could be the
same person as above, with only the minor discrepancy in birth date]

Stefan Jurasits, b. 27 Sept. 1893 (?); in Vienna 1910

Stefan Jurasits, b. 14 Dec. 1889; in Vienna 1910

Stefan Jurasic, b. 10 Aug. 1879; married; wife in Hungary; in Vienna 1909

John, many of these Jurasits from Prostrum lived at the same or
similar addresses in Vienna, mostly in the 12th district, called Meidling. As
mentioned, I made additional notes, but have no idea whether these data are
of any interest for you. If they are, let me know. By the way, the LDS film
number is 1325358.

Other men with the same or similar name who resided in Vienna in the
early 20th century hailed from Gross Mune in Istria (likely Croatia today,
near Trieste), spelling Juracic; Poljana in Croatia, spelling Juracic; Fiume
in Italy (today's Rijeka in Croatia), spelling Jursich; Eisenstadt,later
Burgenland, spelling Juraschitz and Juraschütz; Ószombat in Nyitra county,
Hungary (today's Slovakia), spelling Juracsic; Maszt, north of Pozsony
(Bratislava, today's Slovakia), spelling Juracic; and Vienna itself.

DONGISCH NAME AND SPELLING OF FAMILY NAMES (Gloria Martinson, Albert Schuch
and G. Berghold)

(Ed. Note: If you're into Burgenland genealogical research, you're probably
going to find various spellings of the family name both here and abroad.
German names do not seem to change as often as Croatian or Hungarian ones;
however all three were given phonetic spellings by immigration officials. As
if this isn't bad enough, you'll also find various spellings in Burgenland
records as the following demonstrates.)

Gloria J. (Rongish) Martinson () writes:

<< Is it possible that through the years the name "Dongisch" was rewritten as
Rongisch? I am researching ancestors in the Mosonszentjanos area and possibly
the Andau area. Has Albert (Schuch) run across the name of Rongisch anywhere?
I love the newsletters but trying to find info on my great-grandparents has
been really tough. Also is there any way of finding out about a person if
they were a stowaway on a boat that came to America? I think my
great-grandfather might have done that about 1880.>>

Berghold answers: The Burgenland phone book for Andau shows a Maria
Rongitsch. The surrounding villages do not carry this name, but there is also
a Frieda Rongitsch in Neusiedl am See. I don't have a Mosonszentjanos,
Hungary phone listing but our URL List (see homepage) has the addresses of
web sites which list European phone numbers. I'd check them for both names
under various spellings. I'd then check the LDS church records of the village
that has the most listings.

While it may be possible, I don't know enough Slovakian or Serbo-Croatian to
determine if Dongisch and Rongitsch are compatible, I doubt it although you
may be reading from script where anything is possible. (names ending in
"its", "itsch" and "isch" are usually Slavic meaning "son of" (in this case
I'd guess Slovak if your people came from north west Hungary).

I would think that a stowaway if discovered would be refused entry and
returned. Never heard of the situation, but then he could have been accepted
as part of some other family and slipped in if somehow the ship's staff were
satisfied. In either case if he was allowed entry there'd be a landing card,
like any other immigrant. To find the card you must know the ship name and
date of arrival.

Albert Schuch writes: My comment on Gerry's answer (<< names ending in "its",
"itsch" and "isch" are usually Slavic meaning "son of" (in this case I'd
guess Slovak if your people came from north west Hungary). >>:

There is no difference between -itsch and -isch. Both are one of many
variations of one and the same Slavic suffix (-ics, -its, -icz, -ic, etc.).

I have not run across the name Rongisch anywhere else than in the BB member
list. Several members researching this area. I may find more evidence of this
name as I translate more village histories from Northern Burgenland. If so, I
will let you know, but please note that I can only do this from time to time.

As you may have noticed, the early Andau church records only mention
Dongisch. So for Andau, this seems to be the older variation. It is quite
likely that through the years the name "Dongisch" has been rewritten as
Rongisch. May have been caused by careless writing. So I don't think this is
a language problem, just a mistake - or maybe a deliberate change - in
writing.

I know of a similar case in my native village(Kleinpetersdorf in Southern
Burgenland): The original name was Fabsits or Fabschits, and all of a sudden
it became Waschits or Waschitz. In this case, the name Waschits / Waschitz /
Vastis / Vasitz seems to have been more common in the area, so maybe the
priest thought he was just "correcting" an early mistake in writing.

VENUS-ANOTHER NAME CHANGE (G. Berghold)

The surname "Venus" crept into the Berghold genealogy. As a child, I remember
my grandmother speaking of a "Mrs. Venus" and I visualized a beautiful buxom
woman without arms! I later wondered about its origin as it did not appear to
be a Burgenland name. I then noticed it in Albert Schuch's recent village
data for Tadten. "Georg VENUS (FÉNYES) is teacher" and "Church records start
in 1712. Surnames mentioned there 1712-1760: Hungarian names like: SZALAY,
SEREGÉLY, LENDVAY, FEJES, MOLNÁR, POLGÁR, EÖZSI, HATOS, HORVÁT, HARASZTI,
GRÁTZÓ, NÉMET, SZIJJÁRTÓ, FARKAS, KOPPI (KAPI), ÁRPÁS, GARAI, SZABÓ,
MADARÁSZ, EPERJES, KÜMÉHES (KÖMIVES), CSUNYI, WENES (FÉNYES)".

The change from Fenyes to Wenes to Venus is obvious. This means that what is
now an English- American name "Venus" came from the German "Wenes" which in
turn was the Hungarian "Fenyes".

If you have a Hungarian or Croatian name, by all means look for other
spellings. If you now have a German one, consider whether it came from the
Croatian or Hungarian. Study the names shown in the village data lists and
question whether any are older versions of present names.

JAKES, A CROATIAN NAME CHANGE (?)-(G. Berghold)

Frank Jakes () writes:

<< By serendipity (an internet search for Rabafuzes using the hotbot search
engine), I discovered The Burgenland Bunch website and its tremendous
treasure trove of resources. I would like to join "the Bunch" in search of
information regarding JAKES from Rabafuzes and NIKESHER from Alsoszolnok. >>

Our Answer: Hello Frank Jakes, not often does my mail contain so many things
that cause me to say so much. In addition, your area of research is within my
own area of southern Burgenland, as my main roots are in Güssing and
Poppendorf (Heiligenkreuz). Both are within walking distance or a short ride
to Rabafüzes, Hungary and Eltendorf (Zahling).

Alsoszolnok (Unter Zemming) is still in the district of St. Gotthard in
Hungary just across the border from Neumarkt a. d. Raab (east of
Jennersdorf). I know very little about it. There is also a Felsoszolnok (Ober
Zemming) just south of AlsoSzolnok. Each has its own RC church. Both are in
Vas Megye (county). The LDS has microfilm (1816-1896) as LDS 0700907.
Felsoszolnok starts in 1750. (Margaret Kaiser in contacting Jakes, later
points out that Alsoronok may be the village in question as it so much closer
to Rabafuzes. Many Hungarian villages have similar names).

Raba Füzes (Raabfidisch) is the first Hungarian village you come to after
crossing the border at Heiligenkreuz. It too is in Vas Megye. RC's went to
church in Heiligenkreuz (Raba-Keresztur), now in Austria and also to
Felso-Ronok (Ober-Radling), still in Hungary. Lutherans went to church in
Eltendorf (Kortvelyes), now in Austria-a few km west of Poppendorf. Today it
is in the district of Jennersdorf...

The Jakes name is not familiar to me and I doubt if it is German although
your ancestors probably spoke German as well as Croatian. I think you'll find
that NIKESHER is generally spelled Nikischer. You'll find a number of them in
the area, some in Neustift and Heiligenkreuz.

Jakes also writes: << Since discovering your website, I learned from
Newsletter No. 52 that a JAKES family was listed in the 1693-Urbarium as
residing in the vineyard hills of Zahling. Since Zahling is "spitting"
distance from Rabafuzes, I am betting that this JAKES is an ancestor. >>

Perhaps, since my history of Zahling (now administered by Eltendorf) shows
Jakes families, originally at house numbers 80 and 110, but now there are
none left in Zahling or Eltendorf. I think the Urbarium merely supports that
the family was in the area that early. I notice a name "Jokisch" also-I
wonder? I'd look to Rabafuzes first for links.

Jakes may be a Croatian name (Jakits?-I'm guessing), with roots from Croatian
refugees in 1524 who accompanied Franz Batthyany when he was given the
Herrschaft of Güssing. (14% of Burgenland inhabitants today have Croatian
roots.) Just a guess on my part but I notice a "Jaksyth" from Jezero
(Yugoslavia-Croatia) in 1576, another (Jyaksych) from Stynychnyak, Croatia to
Güssing in 1519, a Jak Ych from Rechycza in 1519, a Jagych from Oppidum in
1519, a Jagyttych to Grossmürbisch in 1576 that = Jagetic from an Urbarium in
Brubno in 1453. So you can see the possibilities of name evolvement. Data is
from "Die Kroaten der Herrschaft Güssing" by Robert Hajszan. Please don't try
to jump back to 1519-the only way to link to there is one generation at a
time from where you are today! But it's interesting. Most Burgenlanders of
today came from somewhere else post 1500 or later.
(Newsletter continues as no. 75A)

This thread: