BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

From: <>
Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 76 dtd 15 Mar 2000
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:54:59 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 76
(issued biweekly by )
March 15, 2000
(all rights reserved)

"Heinzenland, Burgenland
Kehrst du wiederum zu uns zurück?"
(Are you returning to us?)- Professor Alfred Walheim, 24 Dec. 1918

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) To join, see our homepage. We
can't help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are
appreciated. Please add your name to email, otherwise we must search large
membership lists. Staff and web site addresses are listed at the end of each
newsletter section "B". This first section of the 3 section newsletter
contains data on the Village of Mischendorf, Burgenland Immigrant Canadian
Settlements (Paradise Hill), New Books by Felix Gundacker, Concept of
Southern Burgenland, Austrian Airlines Special Fares. A New Member Asks Some
Questions and I Found My Grandparents!

VILLAGE OF MISCHENDORF (in Bezirk Oberwart, close to the Pinka river, south
of Grosspetersdorf)

Source: Dr. Josef Loibersbeck: Von Badersdorf bis Oberdorf. In: Volk und
Heimat, #1-#4/1965. Summarized and translated by Albert Schuch Feb 2000.

First mentioned as "Myske" in a document from 1469. Like neighbouring
villages Kohfidisch and Kotezicken probably founded during the time of the
early Arpads (Hungarian kings) by Hungarian border guards. German settlers
probably arrived 1250-1350.

While the descendants of the border guards had noble status, the farmers and
other inhabitants belonged to the domain Rotenturm (Counts Erdödy).
Christoph, Johann, Lukas, Blasius and Valentin SULYOK, descendants of
Valentin SULYOK from Mischendorf, had their noble status confirmed in 1560,
because the earlier document was lost during the Turkish war of 1532.

Documents from 1592 describe Mischendorf as consisting of 13 1/2 inhabited
sessiones and ca. 11 1/2 deserted ones. There were two churches, one of them
in ruins, a cemetery and a mill.

An altar in the old church (replaced in 1831) had carried an inscription
about its donator: "Nobilis Heniaz hoc altare donavit in honorem Domini et
SS. Cosmas et Damiany Martyrorum 1631." The donator, a Vlahi (Croatian)
nobleman named Juan Heniac, is already mentioned in 1613 in the land records
of nearby Kohfidisch. Like the Vlahi leader Kunic who settled in Rumpersdorf,
he probably wanted to thank for the successful emigration from Croatia in
this way.

The Urbarium of 1669 mentions the following inhabitants: the nobles Johann
HENYÁSZ (HENIAC), Johann SULYOK, Michael and Wolf (Farkas) SULYOK; subjects
of Countess Elisabeth Erdödy (nee Batthyany, sister of Count Adam B.): Jergh
HUKESZ, Andreas and Georg KASONIC, Wolf PUFNUSZ, Michael HOLZMANN's widow,
Peter RESETARIC, Matthias HOLZMANN, Matthias SATAKARIC, Adam OSWALD, Hanns
GRAF and Georg SMILIC.
In 1671 Martin WITTMANN, butcher in Jabing and a native of Mischendorf, was
declared a free man by Countess Elisabeth Erdödy.

Urbarium of 1688: the domain officials VRATONIC and RADAKOVIC own larger
portions of land; farmer names: 4 KASENIC; 3 HOLZMANN, GRAF; 2 KNORR, TULCIC;
1 CORTKOVIC, DIDONIC, SAKATARIC, SLENIC, RESETARIC, Marko ZIMINIC, GOLUBIC,
BOZI, KOVÁCS, SCHWARZ, STERNICKY, DEUTSCH, EBERHARD. One Söllner (Georg
VUKIC). The mill on the Pinka river was mortgaged to the nobleman GAIGER.

The ecclesiastical inspection of 1697 already reports two churches: a small
and old one (St. Cosmas and Damian) outside the village and a new one (St.
Ladislaus) in the center of the village. Gregor BRATEY from Styria was
priest, he spoke German and Slovenian, was here since about 1685, and the
Croatians (who were clearly the majority of the population) were not happy
with him. Teacher was Johann STUBIC. (1743-46 a Ladislaus STUBIC, probably
his son, was "Ludirektor" (teacher).)

In 1713 Kaspar CRISAY was priest, the church was reported to be in a bad
shape ("desolata"). Georg LADONIC, curator of the parish, had been inactive
for five years, so the miller Sigismund HORVAT was made new curator. He
immediatly bought a book for the baptism records, and hence these records
start in 1715.

The baptism records mention another priest named Leonhard K. HUEBER around
1718, also the names of the noblemen KOFFER and SCHLÖGL, the free man MAGDIC,
and the farmers KNORR, SCHAFFER and JALOSIC. Priests in later years were:
Johann DECRIONIS (1721-36), Georg POPOVIC (1736-49), Hermann MASSNAK
(1749-53), Father Josef from Güssing Abbey (1753-54), Johann KORENIC from
Karlburg (1753-85), Father Wendelin from Güssing Abbey (1786-91), Father
Hippolyth from Güssing Abbey (1791) and Johann IVANCIC from Baumgarten
(1791-1807).

Documents dating from the years 1714-50 mention the following nobles / free
persons from Mischendorf: Michael KERPIC, Johann KOFFER; Kathaine MOLNÁR
(married to Nikolaus PRANGER, later on with Stefan FARKAS), her son Johann
PRANGER; Margarethe SAZBÓ (married Johann EBERHARDT); Peter EBERHARDT,
several persons named SULYOK, Johann KASZNAR (KASTNER), and a family named
ASBOLT (OSWALD).

Priests in the 19th century: Johann SCHRAMMEL from Unterbildein (1806-27),
Anton Paul WAHL from Güns (1827-30), Johann PLEYER from Mannersdorf, Alois
HENGGE from Kohfidisch (disappeared under mysterious circumstances in
Budapest in 1887, probably victim of a crime), Alexander SCHAFFER from
Oberwart (1887-88; was priest of Wolfau later, then emigrated to Chicago, in
1927 to Güns/Köszeg), Alois PAUER from Minihof in Sopron Megye (1889-1905).

Teachers/notaries: Johann SCHWARZ (1808), Franz PETZ (1827), Michael POLZER
(1833-35; from Kohfidisch), Josef SCHWARZ (1837), Anton PASSMANN (1845-70).

Nobles and freed men ("Libertini") in 1836: several SULYOK, PLANK; WEBER,
MAGDICS, PERESTICS, KASSANICS, GALLOVICS, GRAF, HORVAT, EBERHARDT, KASTNER
and BAUMGARTNER.

7 nobles in 1856 (6 SULYOK, 1 PLANK); 17 "half nobles": 4 GRAF; 2 EBERHARD,
HORVAT, PERESTICS; 1 KULOVICS, MAGDICS, BINDER, OSWALD, STEINER, CSACSINOVICS
and BILOVICS; 18 farmers with a 6/8th sessio: 3 GRAF, HALWACHS; 2 KAPONICS,
JALICS, WALTER; 1 WILLEWITSCH (BILOVICS), FÜLÖP (PHILIPP), WAGNER, HALPER,
OSWALD and RADAKOVICS; 2 farmers who are subjects of the parish: Elias HAAS
and Georg FRÜHWIRTH, each one with a 1/4th sessio; 39 Söllner: 6 GRAF; 4
KAPONICS; 3 RESETAR, FÜLÖP (PHILIPP); 1 HAAS, BAUMANN, EIER, WALTER, FINK,
SAGMEISTER, KAUS, JALICS, DRAGUTOVICS, HORVAT, JANSCHITZ, KRONER, HALWACHS
and FRÜHWIRT.

20th century teachers: Johann REITTER from Deutsch-Gerisdorf (1870-1904),
Ludwig MEZRITZKY (1904-45), Peter HALPER, his wife Helene nee LORENZ.

Notaries: Karl LUDWIG, Rudofl SZENTGYÖRGYI, SAWLIK (until 1897), Georg
SAGMEISTER (1897-1925), Leopold FIEDLER (1925-30), Franz HALWACHS (1930-54),
Adalbert GYULAI.

Priests: Josef SANDHOFER from Purbach (1906-14), Karl ECKER from Güns
(1914-21), Franz KNOTZ from Pinkafeld (1921-30), Andreas STROBL (1930-35),
Friedrich EGGER (1935-36), Johann TEMMEL (1936-38), Otto HEISSENBERGER
(1938-1947), Rudolf JIRKU (1947-).

In 1945 the village was shelled and 5 or 6 inhabitants died.

Statistical data: 1832: 60 houses, 386 inhabitants; 1900: 124 houses, 693
inhabitants (12 Hungarians, 676 Germans, 5 Croats; by religion: 678
Catholics, 7 Lutherans, 8 Jews); 1934: 121 houses, 577 inhabitants; 1961: 137
houses, 562 inhabitants.

BURGENLAND IMMIGRANT CANADIAN SETTLEMENTS (from Dale M. Knebel)

Dale writes: I recently acquired a history book that details families in a
Canadian settlement that contains Austrians and Hungarians. When my
great-grandfather decided to move from Eden, SD to Oregon in the first decade
of the 1900s, one of his sons decided to take advantage of homesteading in
Saskatchewan. He and other Burgenlanders settled in Paradise Hill, halfway
up the western border of SK. The nearest large community is Lloydminster
which is partly in Saskatchewan and partly in Alberta.

The book was published in 1991 and covers the settlements of Bolney, White
Eagle, River Junction, Butte St. Pierre, Frenchman Butte, Albion, Northbend,
Perch Lake, Sylvan Hill, St. Albert, Paradise Hill, Big Hill, Tangleflags,
Meadow Dew, and Pyramid Hill.

I have gone through it and extracted the names of those who came from our
area of interest. That is the substance of the attachment to this e-mail. If
I didn't state a specific birthplace for the people, it is simply Austria.
Not included on the list are some Slovenians who stated that their area was
part of Austria (Carniola) at the time of their emigration.

The area is very culturally mixed. I recall English, Scots, Irish, German,
Austrian, Hungarian, Yugoslavian, Bohemian, Polish, and French settlers.

If any of the Bunch wants more information on these people and their
families, they can contact me at

There are two other settlements of Burgenlanders, primarily Seewinkel people,
in Saskatchewan. One is the Regina area, and the other is north of Regina
area, at Humboldt.

My great-grandfather Fink was one of 4 brothers who came with their widowed
mother. All homesteaded in South Dakota. Two decided to go on to Canada.
One of the two had already completed a homestead and sold it. The other had
completed a pre-emption and a homestead and sold them. So both had some
start-up money when they reached the Regina area to homestead again.

Paradise Hill Settlers:

Henry and Katherine (Homer) Berlinger, born Burgenland, Austria, married
Eden, SD
Herman Berlinger, born Burgenland, Austria
Joseph Bielecki, born Chwardershoff, Galicia, Austria
Anton Fink, Sr., Neustift, Austria
John Fink, Sr., Wallern, Austria
John Halbauer
Henry Halbauer
Frank Halbauer
Mathias Huber, born Wallern, Austria
Jack Huber
Balt Janisch
Alois and Christina (Kedl) Kedl, born Urbersdorf and Guessing, Austria
Frank and Louise (Rassier) Kirchmeier
Zoltan and Betty Kiss, born Rakamaz and Vencsello, Hungary
Frank and Karoline (Huber) Klein, Frank born Bukovina, Austria; Karoline born
Austria
Frank and Maria (Müllner) Kohlhauser, Frank born Lafnitz, Austria; Maria born
Kleinlungits, Austria
Frank Leer
Frank Ottenbreit, born Bukovina, Austria
Johann and Maria Salzl, born Wallern, Austria
Joseph Salzl
Joseph and Elizabeth (Neuberger) Schneider
Karolina Sauer Schweitzer, born Hleboka, Bukovina, Austria
Karl and Theresa (Hodel) Schweitzer, born Hleboka, Bukovina, Austria
John and Maria (Strantz) Weinhandl, born Vienna, Austria
Peter Wolfe, born Mosloch, Hungary
(end of article)

NEW BOOKS BY FELIX GUNDACKER

Felix Gundacker, residing in Vienna, is one of the few professional
genealogists who specialize in the areas which constituted the Empire. He has
also written articles for Heritage Quest magazine and has authored numerous
publications. Below is a recent message:

From: (Ing. Felix Gundacker)

I just published a series of NEW BOOKS for genealogical research.

Dictionary of Moravian Parishes in the Czech Republic

Register of vital statistics in the Czech State Archives pertaining to
Moravia - in 2 parts
Register of Jewish vital statistics in Czech State Archives pertaining to
Moravia
Genealogical Dictionary
Genealogical Dictionary - English version

further publications:
Dictionary of Bohemian Parishes in the Czech Republic
Register of vital statistics in the Czech State Archives pertaining to
Bohemia - in 2 parts
Register of Jewish Vital Statistics in Czech State Archives pertaining to
Bohemia
Gazetteer of the former Galicia Bukowina
Comprehensive Index of Roman Catholic Marriages in Vienna 1542-1860 - in 3
parts
Comprehensive Index of Military Marriages in Vienna 1775-1860

On my site you will find a lot of detailed information and samples

With best regards, Felix Gundacker, professional genealogist for Austria,
Bohemia and Moravia
IHFF Genealogie Gesellschaft mbH
A-1190 WIEN, Pantzergasse 30/8
Tel = +43 1 369 97 29
Fax = +43 1 369 97 30
email:
http://ihff.nwy.at/index.htm/>; in english language
http://ihff.nwy.at/indexa.htm/>; in deutscher Sprache

CONCEPT OF SOUTHERN BURGENLAND (G. Berghold-suggested by Klaus Gerger)

Our personal concept of a geographic entity is often dependent on a
contemporary map. This may be modified by a visit, after which our memory
moves map borders to somewhere consistent with our remembered line of sight.
What all this means is that, to most of us, southern Burgenland stops at the
present Hungarian and Styrian borders. This is not the southern Burgenland as
remembered by our pre 1921 ancestors. They of course knew nothing of the
place that would eventually be called Burgenland and they considered
themselves part of Vas Megye, Hungary. When they thought of their home they
considered it to encompass land and places as far east as Kormend or Vasvar
and as far west as Fürstenfeld. Northern and southern limits included the
regions of Szombathely and Szentgotthard.

When you adjust your vision of the area we now call Burgenland to the above
concept you get a completely different picture of the "Heimat", one that
includes the Hungarian vistas of present day Vas Megye, west of Kormend. To
the present predominantly German and Croatian population mix, you now add a
region which is mostly Hungarian with minor German and Croatian elements. It
appears that the 1918 dismemberment of the Empire on ethnic grounds worked
fairly well, at least in this region.

With the coming of Eurocom and the breakup of the Warsaw Pact, national
borders are becoming very penetrable and some "nations" are viewing their
immediate neighbors as ethnic partners with a common heritage. I see much
mention of the "other side" of the border in local Austrian publications. OZ
(the Oberwart Weekly News) frequently has articles mentioning what is
happening in neighboring Hungary and there are many joint festivities and
ethnic partnerships. Ethnicity in some places is becoming a merging of joint
heritage as opposed to a bone of contention. May it eventually become so
everywhere!

This change in Austrian - Hungarian relations recently came to my attention
in a most striking manner. I received a package from Vienna, sent by my
cousin and BB member Klaus Gerger. It contained a glossy pictorial 56 page
booklet entitled "Körmend und Güssing Umgebung" (surrounding area), published
in Hungary. Kormend is a fairly large Hungarian city just east of the
Heiligenkreuz, Austria border crossing. Güssing is the "Bezirk" or district
"stadt" in southern Burgenland, just nw of that crossing. Captions of the
booklet are written in both German and Hungarian. There is little in the way
of print but the obvious purpose of the booklet is to show how interrelated
the Austrian and Hungarian "Burgenland" really is with the many similar
picturesque things to see. It is like one of our own chamber of commerce
publications. The depth of coverage is striking and can well serve as a guide
to what a visitor might like to see or where to stay or have a meal on both
sides of the border. A few of the captions are detailed below:

Region of Körmend
Schloss (palace) Batthyany, Theatre, City Museum, Schuhmuseum, South door of
the Palace (Batthyany?), Old Rathaus, Heissig Haus, Railroad Station
(note:-Kormend is on the main line Graz to Budapest railroad-next station
west in Austria would be Jennersdorf), Marienstatue in the Hauptplatz,
Catholic Church, Statue of King Bela IV, Church in Körmend, Fussballplatz,
Bridge over the Raab River, St. Nepomuk Hansen Statue, Castle of Pal
Batthyany in Csakanydoroszlo.

Region of Güssing
Burg (Castle) Güssing, Batthyany Museum-Burg Güssing, Batthyany Family Crypt,
Cloister church Güssing, Palace Draskovich, Josef Reichl Museum, St. Jakob
Church, New Schloss Batthyany, "Kastell" Counts Batthyany, Rathaus,
Naturepark, Kastell in Sulz, St. Emmerichs Church in Inzenhoff, Weinmuseum
Moschendorf, Wasserschloss (moated castle) in Eberau.

Many thanks to Klaus Gerger for reminding us that the "Burgenland" of today
does not contain all of the "Burgenland" of our ancestors. We must also look
across the border. I wonder if there will be a Szentgotthard und Jennersdorf
Umgebung booklet?

AUSTRIAN AIRLINES SPECIAL FARES (courtesy Bob Unger)

If your're planning a Burgenland trip, now may be the time to get ready.
Austrian Airlines has announced new direct flights from Washington, DC
(Dulles) and NYC (Kennedy) to Vienna at reduced fares (available through
5/30/00). What better way to start your visit then with a coffee (mit Schlag)
and pastry service to the sound of a Strauss waltz. I've been impressed with
Austrian Airlines on the continent and I'm sure their overseas flights are
just as comfortable.

Bob Unger writes:

Exciting news from Austrian Airlines - see below: Gosh, a round trip to
Vienna from Washington DC for only $330!!!!!! How better can it get!! See
their WEB pages <http://www.austrianair.com/main.html>;.
<http://www.austrianair.com/dc-vienna-offer.html>;
Washington, DC to Vienna ...$330
Chicago to Vienna ...$330
Atlanta to Vienna ... $448
New York to Vienna ...$368

Another excellent incentive for traveling to Austria now is that the exchange
rate is currently 14.38 shilling/dollar. That is the best it has been for
years.

A NEW MEMBER ASKS SOME QUESTIONS (from Fritz Konigshofer)