BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 78 dtd 15 April 2000
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:57:11 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 78
(issued biweekly by )
April 15, 2000
(all rights reserved)

Some pre 1921 Royal Austro/Hungarian Abbreviations:

o Shared: Austro/Hungarian "k. u. k." Imperial and Royal-kaiserlich und
königlich;

o Austrian only: "k. k." Imperial and Royal-kaiserlich-königlich;

o Hungarian only: "k. u." Royal Hungarian, königlich ungarisch or kiraly
magyar ("k. m.")

o The Royal Navy (yes there was a Navy based at Pola [today Pula] on the
Adriatic Sea ) designated its ships as S. M. S. (Seiner Magestäts Schiff)

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) To join, see our homepage. We
can't help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are
appreciated. Please add your name to email, otherwise we must search large
membership lists. Staff and web site addresses are listed at the end of
newsletter section "B". Articles with no by-line are written by the editor.
This first section of the 3 section newsletter concerns The BB Surname List
and a New Maps Section, Are You an Active or Passive Member, Permission to
Copy BB Newsletters, Finding Proper Birth Records When There Are Duplicate
Candidates, Storks Arrive in Güssing, the "Schwarze Madonna" of Güssing, Some
New Maps of Burgenland and Gleanings from the Latest Burgenländische
Gemeinschaft News.

BB SURNAME LIST DEFROSTED-NEW MAPS SECTION

SURNAME LIST
A little over a year ago we had to freeze the Surname List when our
maintenance volunteer resigned. We advertised for a replacement, but not many
members had the necessary computer expertise to take it over and others were
too busy with other matters. Member Thomas Steichen recently volunteered and
he has the new list up and running. It will be a while before the backlog of
entries gets reflected in the file so be patient, Tom has already made
significant inroads into the backlog.

We are considering eliminating the hyperlinks to member's addresses from this
file since you can hyperlink from the member list. Maintenance of email
address changes is very frustrating and time consuming and the fewer places
these have to be made the better, something for members to consider. Although
we realize the internet is changing rapidly and service from any given server
can deteriorate, it is not wise to indiscriminately change email addresses.
It causes newsletter editors severe headaches and can lead to all sorts of
problems in the address and hyperlink files. I'm sorry to say that I've had
to give up on some members whose mail keeps being returned. Keep it simple
and keep it the same where possible and NEVER provide more than one address
and ask us to choose one! You'll invariably cancel the one we choose! Also we
use AOL's automatic reply mechanism and the address you send mail from will
probably be the one to which we reply. So if you're writing from your
friend's house that's the one we'll reply to unless you tell us otherwise. If
you must change email addresses be sure to include old and new addresses as
well as your name when you write us. Ignore these little mail courtesies and
your membership is likely to end up in electronic limbo.

In case you haven't used them, the membership list, the village list and the
surname list are all available from the homepage. Just click on the
hyperlinks and start searching (or use Edit-Find in the Top Window search
mechanism of your Windows or AOL tool bar). New members should:

1. Search the membership list (arranged in the order entered) for addresses
of members researching the same family names and villages (click on a name
and you'll get an addressed email form)

2. Search village list (alpha) for village histories and names of other
interested members(Bill Rudy updates this list monthly and tells me he'll be
linking more village histories as time permits-if you click on village names
in blue, you'll be taken to the village history)

3. Search surname list (alpha) to find those members researching the same
family names and perhaps where they settled

NEW MAP SECTION
We've always had a map as part of the membership list. It lists just a few
villages, but it's a great pictorial of the Burgenland. The original idea was
that we would add members' villages as they joined. We then got too many
members and had to forgo that nice touch. Charter member Mike Spahitz is a
professional graphics designer (operating as MJS Creations from San Diego,
CA-email www.mjscreations.com) and he contributed that original map as well
as the BB title & Map of Austria, which have become our official logo. Now,
member Klaus Gerger is preparing some Bezirk (district) maps of the
Burgenland which will show all villages. In addition you can click between
German, Hungarian and Croatian names. Another feature which Klaus has added
are the house numbers and family names in Güssing and Rosenberg as of 1857 as
well as showing (on a map) where those properties were located. House numbers
are invaluable when linking families. You can reach (and download) those web
pages which Klaus has completed via hyper link from the homepage.

The BB Newsletter award of the month to both Tom and Klaus for their efforts
on our behalf.

ARE YOU AN ACTIVE OR PASSIVE MEMBER?

Like all groups, we have active and passive members. We do have some who blow
me off of my complacent perch with new ideas and new material. Then there are
those who are actively into Burgenland genealogy. We hear from some of these
when they cry "Eureka-I found my xxxxfather". Some are deeply into Burgenland
research and end up on our staff. I often have to juggle their many
contributions between issues and some times follow and edit the lengthy
threads that their material generates. Their correspondence often triggers
subjects for future articles and causes me to dig in my library. The majority
of our members however, join and continue to receive our newsletters but we
rarely hear from them again. I often wonder if they're stuck in their
research or never really got started. Maybe some are hoping that they'll hear
from someone who will give them some data. I know there are members who just
like to read about the Burgenland, the newsletters are a little homesickness
or nostalgia tonic. Others may be waiting until they have more time. Nothing
wrong with any of those approaches, one of the ideas behind the BB is to
eventually have a large data base of many Burgenland immigrants and their
descendants with members helping members. In effect everyone pays their dues
when they submit their original data. Thus everyone who joins contributes
and just listing with us often bring results. Unlike some newsletters with
their very impersonal "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" mechanism, if you want to
receive our newsletter you have to contribute something up front. I'm a firm
believer that things you get for nothing have little value. Our reward are
messages like this one which we recently received from William Imre (via Hap
Anderson).

From: William Frank Imre; (); Milan, TN. Michael IMRE, father
came to Chicago in 1923 from Willersdorf. Mother Marie ULREICH, from
Willersdorf or Bad Tatzmannsdorf about the same time.

"Hap; Branch coordinator : My name is William Frank Imre, we would like to
say "thank you all for the posting This was a fruitful posting for our Family
.We have Michael Imre in the posting. Had good results. The posting was
read by Anita Nicka in Bad Tatzmannsdorf municipal administration office,
who gave the E mail address to her good friend Helga Schranz who turned it
over to her daughter Karin Reberger .

Karin has a computer and emailed us a great amount of good family records.
This was on Feb. 7, 2000 a day that we will remember for a long long time.
That was the day we found our Father's Michael Imre Family. With that find
we have gone back 4 Generations on Michael's side . We are still finding more
. Without the posting we would be still looking. So we all like to say thank
you again. Keep up the good work. From the Imre Family. P.S. This posting
made us all HAPPY more then I can say."

Ed. Note-As we've been urging members all along, if you are a passive member,
in addition to the homepage listing, consider a posting to our WGW Query
Board and also contact Albert Schuch for a listing in the weekly newspaper OZ
(Oberwart Zeitung). With enough exposure, you too may hear from some
Burgenland relatives.

PERMISSION TO COPY BB NEWSLETTER ITEMS

Our newsletters are issued under copyright, but we grant permission to copy
for non-commercial purposes. The only caveat we have is that you must mention
the source such as "Courtesy of G. Berghold, Burgenland Bunch Newsletter No.
xx, dtd xx/xx/xx". However, if you copy our newsletters, send them to a
magazine as your work or publish them as a book and sell them, you'll make us
very unhappy.

In a message dated 3/15/00 1:47:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, member Sue Straw