BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 80 dtd 15 May 2000
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:21:45 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 80
(issued biweekly by )
May 15, 2000
(all rights reserved)

" ...ein Märchen aus uralten Zeiten..."
("a tale of long ago"-from the song poem "Lorelei", H. Heine)

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) To join, see our homepage. We
can't help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are
appreciated. Please add your name to email, otherwise we must search
membership lists. Staff and web site addresses are listed at the end of
newsletter section "B". Introductions and articles without a by-line are
written by the editor. This first section of the 3 section newsletter
contains the articles: Another Member Connects, Two More Contacts, WWI Call
to Ban Teaching of German, News of Our Burgenland Editor and Croatian Names
and Their Villages of Origin.

ANOTHER MEMBER CONNECTS (Klaus Gerger & Mary LaManta)

When you join the Burgenland Bunch it's a little like posting a note to those
bulletin boards found in supermarket entrances and other public places. You
never know who is going to read them. You hope it will be someone who can
supply some family information or connect you with a long lost relative. Upon
joining, I add your data to newsletter copy and send it to the BB staff for
an early preview. Hap Anderson posts it to the homepage in the membership
list. This is then duplicated in the village list and the surname list by
Bill Rudy and Tom Steichen. That puts your notes in four web sites and many
computers. If you follow our suggestions, you also place a query in the WGW
Query Board and contact Albert Schuch for a free ad in the Oberwart Zeitung.
You then have six notes open to the world at large and your chances of
hearing from someone (at least one of our over 500 BB members) are very good.
This all presupposes however that you've done your homework and that your
original data is correct. I'm following some threads of correspondence that
have gone on for weeks. Some have so much family information in them that I'm
at a loss to put them in some sort of edited sequence.

Member Klaus Gerger from Vienna and Güssing saw a note by Mary LaMantia and
the following resulted:

Hi Mary, my name is Klaus Gerger from Güssing, Austria. I found the following
(your) entry in the BB Member list: (
http://www.spacestar.net/users/hapander/burgen1.html )

<< Mary LaMantia; ( <mailto:>); Toms
River, NJ. Franz FURST, Johanna FANDL . Gussing. Settled in New Jersey. >>

In my family tree there is also a Fuerst family, and in the family of a
cousin of mine (I did some research for her) there is a Fandl family. If I
can help you in any way please let me know.

regards Klaus Gerger mailto: Fernkorngasse 76/55 A1100
Vienna - Austria

Mary replies: Hello Klaus, I'm so happy to hear from you. Maybe we have the
same relatives somewhere in our families. My grandfather was Michael Fandl
(1876-1954) whose brother
Was Alois Fandl who married Rosina Kedl . My uncles were Robert, Franz, Alois
and Josef. One aunt Christina Fandl Stranzl. Franz had 2 daughters, Angela
married to Stefan Loder who I believe lived in Strem. Helene married a Koch
(no address). I have relatives in Bethlehem, Pa. children of Robert Fandl.
We are all trying to find our Austrian relatives. My father has a brother
Alois whose daughter is Angela married to Alois Fruhmann. It would be
wonderful if I can get any information .Thank you for any help.

Klaus responds: Hello Mary, good news. In your mail you mentioned a cousin of
yours Helene Koch nee Fandl with unknown address. The Koch family lives in
Güssing. Today I phoned to Mrs. Koch and she was very pleased and she looks
forward to hearing from you. The address is:
Helene & Robert KOCH , Kasernenstrasse. 18 A-7540 Güssing

I will copy this mail to their son Reinhard (a schoolmate of mine), when I
have his e-mail address. Your father was Furst Franz. Was he born 1900 in
Burgenland? Perhaps I can find out some information in the Güssing parish
records. Regards Klaus Gerger

ANOTHER CONTACT
Fritz Königshofer to Barbara May,

Gerry Berghold informed me of your joining the Burgenland Bunch. Welcome!

I myself have a Czentz line, spelled Zenz in German. My Zenz line was from
Rechnitz (Hungarian name Rohonc). On the other hand, I know that bearers of
the name Zenz were concentrated in the area of Jennersdorf and the parts
south of there which are now in Slovenia. By the way, the meaning of the
name Zenz is an abbreviation of the first name Vinzenz (Vincent in English).

ANOTHER CROATIAN CONTACT (Frank Teklits & Janet Cobb)

Janet writes to Frank:

<< I have been reading the Burgenland Bunch since I first found it on the
Internet two years ago. I have often seen your name mentioned as the
Croatian Consultant and therefore, I thought I'd take the chance and write in
hopes you can help or direct me with this question.

My ancestors' surname is HAIDOWATZ. I know that it is a Slavic surname, but
it doesn't resemble other Croatian surnames I've seen, which typically end in
-ics or -its. In the records, HAIDOWATZ was sometimes spelled HAJDOVACS or
HAJDOVATS, so I'm wondering if the -acs (or -ats) ending is some kind of
regional variant, and where in Croatia that variant comes from. Looking
through the feudal and parish records of Northern Burgenland I've
occasionally found other surnames with the -atz, -acs, and -ats endings. Some
became widespread due to people having large families. My ancestors' surname
was not one of those, however, and I'd dearly like to find out from where in
Croatia (or elsewhere) it originates. Cakavisch-speaking Croats from Lika
and the Littoral settled the area I'm researching (east of Vienna) between
1520-7, I've read. But I haven't been able to find my surname in LDS records
or on Croatian web sites.

My HAIDOWATZ ancestors first appeared in Moson County feudal lists in 1768,
and, to date, that's all I've been able to learn. I have a letter in to the
parish at Pama for more info. But I think even the original parish records
won't date back far enough to give the Croatian origins (I've read that they
date back to1690).

Not to wax on indefinitely, but to give you an idea how important this is to
me, I've also: written to people with the surname in Vienna (no answers);
posted a query in OZ; I'm watching for any clues as the Burgenland Bunch
publishes translations of People On The Border and the Northern Village
Series with its Urbarial surname lists. But can't help thinking, maybe the
name won't be on any of those lists. Any suggestions you could make for
pinpointing an origin would be greatly appreciated. >>

Frank responds: Janet, Thanks for the note, & it seems that we have some
items in common with many other members of the BB who are seeking some
guidance into where their Croatian ancestors may have emanated from. Your
question is indeed pertinent, however it is not an easy one to respond to.

To begin with, most old church records have recorded individuals who we think
are from Croatian ancestry with their surnames ending with ics, ich, among
others. Many of these individuals, such as my Dad., changed their surnames to
an "its" ending. To the best of my knowledge, surname endings do not have any
relationship to their original birthplaces within Croatia (Hrvatska). For
your knowledge, my dad was born in Szentpeterfa, Vas Megye,Hungary.

As you are aware, there are 3 (STO, CA, & KAJ) Croatian dialects, and these
fortunately do provide some relationship to the origin of your Croatian
ancestry. I undertook the translation of a text that dealt with the Croatian
Migration to get a better insight into my Croatian ancestry, & I'll share
some of the significant findings from the translation as they pertain to your
search.

The text has an entire chapter devoted to the Croatian Dialects in
Burgenland, & I'll extract some pertinent paragraphs from it which hopefully
will provide some insight into your search.

" The predominant part (80%) of the Burgenland Croats speak the Ca dialect,
namely the Croats in the districts of Neusiedl, Eisenstadt, Mattersburg, &
Oberpullendorf. The Ca dialect is also spoken in 7 communities within the
Güssing District: Stinatz, Hackerberg, Stegersbach, Heugraben, Eisenhüttl,
Reinersdorf, & Großmürbisch".

"The remaining Croats of the Oberwart & Güssing Districts are included with
those that speak the Sto dialect". "Since the same dialects are still
detected in the native country (Croatia) today, they point us to those areas
from which ancestors of the Burgenland Croats emigrated."

"Croats, speaking the Kaj dialect, lived, and still live today between the
Kulpa & Mur Rivers in Zagreb (Agram). The Ca dialect was spoken from the
Kulpa (river) south until the small river of Zrmanja between the Mur river &
the Adriatic Sea, and in all of Dalmatia. Slavonia is situated east of these
areas where the Kaj dialect is spoken, and lies between the Drava, Sava, and
Danube rivers. Croats speaking the Sto dialect lived, and still live here
even today."

A fellow BB members just forwarded the following article & map which is
pertinent to your quest. Please log onto:
http://www.rohrbach-bm.at/Historie/gesch_n8.html .

Hopefully these chapter extractions are of benefit to you, but a word of
caution is advised here. For all of my research, I still cannot, & doubt
within in my lifetime, that I'll ever be able to pinpoint the Croatian
village, town, or city of my dad's ancestors.

The text to which I refer, does indicate some of the areas of Croatia that
settlers of some of the villages of Burgenland may have migrated from. I'd
suggest that you access the BB newsletters, if you are a member, & read the
text for further insight, & let's go from there. If you are not a member of
the BB, I cannot forward the translated text as I have permission from the
publisher to make it available to members of the Burgenland Bunch only.

NEWS OF OUR BURGENLAND EDITOR

Some of you have told me that you enjoy those village histories we publish
best of all. You may have wondered why we haven't had any lately. They are
one of the many articles supplied by Burgenland Editor Albert Schuch, from
Vienna and Kleinpetersdorf. He also prepares those OZ family notices and
places BB material in Austrian publications when he isn't answering questions
or sending us some other material. Albert has also been working toward a
doctorate degree at the University of Vienna. In 1996 when I first heard from
Albert, he mentioned that he was working on his dissertation, but he still
found time to send us so many articles that I convinced him to fill a BB
staff slot as Burgenland editor of the newsletter. I'm happy to say that he
has done an admirable job, our archives are full of his material, much of it
original research.

We have been doubly blessed by this association, for not only is Albert
bilingual and a writer of great skill, his knowledge of Burgenland source
material and translations of Austro-Hungarian history and archives have
opened doors to English speaking Burgenland family history researchers which
have hitherto been closed. Many of you may not know that our village
histories in English translation (available from the village lists and our
newsletter archives) are not available anywhere else. Likewise "Albert's
Village Lists" which supply German and Hungarian village names, districts,
parishes and civil record sources have never before been available in English
translation. The BB takes great pride in being the source of such material.

Albert's university efforts were delayed when he was required to fulfill his
Austrian military obligations in 1998-1999. I met with him in Vienna in
February of 1999 as those obligations were coming to an end. He resumed work
on his dissertation and he now hopes to be awarded his doctorate in June. It
is a distinct pleasure to be associated with Albert Shuch and I will be most
pleased to see his long arduous studies rewarded with the highest accolade
academe can bestow.

Albert recently sent the following:

<< More news: Mr Lunzer, editor of "Volk und Heimat" (the journal that
published the Father Lesier series in the 1950's), asked me to submit 2 pages
about genealogy on the internet with special coverage of the Burgenland Bunch
for the next issue. I gladly agreed and will write the article during the
upcoming weekend. Mr Lunzer will also publish the article written by our
member Regina Lowy Espenshade about her stay in Schlaining, which I
translated into German, of course with the BB news mentioned as the original
source. I will probably meet with Ms Espenshade on June 2 in Vienna. I think
I already told you that I am going to meet Jill Johnson (who contributed our
FAQ pages) on May 15, also here in Vienna. >>

WORLD WAR I ETHNIC CLEANSING (portions of an article by Frank Whelan of the
Morning Call, extracted from the Allentown Morning Call, March 3, 2000)

Editor's Note: It always amazes me to see how stupidly some react to the
actions of one ethnic group or another, tribalism at its worst. As if calling
something by another name or denying language or history will somehow remedy
crimes committed by one particular national or ethnic generation upon
another. Today we see much of this in Europe, Africa, the mid-eastern nations
and elsewhere, even here in the United States. I often think if we followed
this philosophy to its ultimate conclusion there would be large gaps in our
way of life-i. e. let's not drink coffee in retaliation for Turkish evil
deeds in the 1600 and 1700's (the Turks brought coffee to Vienna where it
spread throughout Europe) and let's not make cookies or rolls in the shape of
a crescent (the sign of Islam). No more "kipfels"! The following is a prime
example of such a case.

As early as the 1700's, German speaking immigrants began settling in the
Lehigh Valley and in the 1800's more followed. In the late 1800's and early
1900's, Austro/Hungarians (including Burgenländers) arrived. The German
language was secondary but of great ethnic interest to the numerous
descendants. Then came WWI and the "atrocities" of Kaiser Bill. Time to
forbid all things German! No more sauerkraut, wiesswurst, frankfurters or
Dachshunds! No more German language!

>From the Allentown, PA "Morning Call"

CALL TO BAN TEACHING GERMAN LANGUAGE SPLIT ALLENTOWN BOARD DURING WWI .

On the evening of May 27, 1918, a thunderstorm pounded the Lehigh Valley with
rain, wind and hail. Inside the Allentown School Board's meeting room, the
mood was almost as stormy. The members had the most controversial subject on
their agenda that they had ever faced, it combined a volatile mix of
patriotism and the teaching of a foreign language.

School Board Chairman J. Dallas Erdman was demanding that the members forbid
the teaching of German in the public schools. If not, they would be siding
with the nation's foes who were killing Americans at that moment in World War
I. The Catasauqua School Board, Erdman pointed out, had already banned
German. It was up to Allentown to follow.

Board members William F.P. Good, Oliver A. Iobst and Charles A. Reber were in
Erdman's corner. But members Wilson Arbogast, Harry G. Correll, William J.
Dietrich, the Rev. Charles J. Rausch and Oliver T. Weaber could only be
pushed so far.

Make German an elective rather than the required high school course it had
been since 1858, they argued. But don't do away with the teaching of the
language of Luther, Goethe and the German ancestors of everyone in the room.
The board's argument grew heated. When their loyalty was questioned, the
dissidents protested. "I am an American,'' said Rausch after a cutting remark
in German by Iobst. "Do you challenge my patriotism?" said Weaber, rising,
"menacingly from his chair,'' the Call reported.

The argument raged on, but the German supporters would not budge. Finally,
the board agreed to the compromise of making German an elective. Part of the
agreement was replacing the course's textbook, "Im Vaterland,'' which means
"My Fatherland," with something that sounded less pro-Germany.

The roots of this argument went back to the earliest days of the city and
region's education system. Until the Civil War, German was the first language
of the Lehigh Valley. Newspapers were written in it, God's word was preached
in it and school children were taught in it. It was not unusual to find rural
schools in the Lehigh Valley where Pennsylvania German was the only language
spoken into the 20th century.

This was not confined to public schools. Into the 1900s, Muhlenberg College's
faculty and administration were deeply divided between those who felt all its
courses should be taught in German and those who believed that only its
theology courses -- the school was founded to train students for the Lutheran
ministry -- should be taught in German.

But after the Civil War, the region was becoming more and more bilingual.
English was the language of business and the popular culture that surrounded
the Lehigh Valley. It was clearly being heard more often, mixed with the
Pennsylvania German dialect, in the region's cities and towns. Perhaps for
that reason the city's educational leadership, particularly clergymen, wanted
German as a required part of the public school curriculum.

As the German Empire rose to a position of world power, many people in the
Lehigh Valley were proud of it and their German roots. Teaching German in the
schools was a part of the community's ethnic heritage that few questioned.

But World War I and the anti-German hysteria that followed America's entry in
April 1917 changed all that. Sauerkraut became liberty cabbage and anybody
who spoke the "Hun's" language was as good as a traitor. The Allentown School
Board's decision was made the same spring that the most popular movie in the
city was a propaganda film, "The Kaiser -- The Beast of Berlin.'' Ads for the
film in the Call showed a sinister Wilhelm II with blood dripping from his
hands.

The day after the board's decision, the Allentown chapter of the Past
Presidents Association of the Patriotic Order, Sons of America, denounced the
members and demanded German be dropped. Eventually, the board's compromise
decision was overruled by a higher authority. In April 1919, six months after
the war ended, Pennsylvania's Legislature banned the teaching of German in
the state's public and normal schools. Although the law eventually lapsed and
German came out of hiding, the debate of 1918 is a reminder of how volatile a
mix language and politics can be. (end of extract)

Editor's Note: In 1946, 1947 & 1948, I took German as an elective in
Allentown High School. I wish Hungarian and Serbo-Croatian had also been
available.

CROATIAN NAMES AND VILLAGES OF ORIGIN

When I visited Klaus Gerger in Vienna, he handed me a book entitled "Die
Kroaten der Herrschaft Güssing" (The Croatians of the Güssing Domain) by
Robert Hajszan. One of the many interesting things the author does is attempt
to determine Croatian villages of origin by comparing surnames found in the
Güssing area urbars with equivalent names found in Croatian urbars. The time
span is anywhere between AD 1450 and 1600.

I thought I could easily make some lists showing Burgenland villages,
surnames and equivalent villages in Croatia, ergo a path to some pre
Burgenland origins. Unfortunately it didn't work out. I soon found that
surname spellings varied greatly in the short time span involved. This
variance was due to the differences between Slavic spelling as converted to
Latin, German or Hungarian spelling. The same multi-lingual problem that
exists today with English added! It will be necessary to try to convert the
one to the other, alas another list. An example follows:

The Village of St. Nicholas (Hungarian Szt. Miklos, Croatian Zenth Myklos)

This was one of the first of the Croatian settlements in the Batthyany
Güssing domain. It is believed to have been founded in 1528 by the advance
guard of the settlers of Stinatz (Milan Kruhek in Wissenschaftliche Arbeiten
aus dem Burgenland, volume 73, Eisenstadt 1986, pps. 45-47). This was four
years after Franz Batthyany was granted the Herrschaft by Hungarian King
Lajos (Louis) II. It is a small village, now part of Güssing and its former
Croatian church is now merely a chapel for funerals and weddings. There is a
cemetery. More information concerning this village and its inhabitants can be
found in the BB newsletter archives.

The first village inventory (urkunde) occurred in 1545. There were German and
Hungarian names. The family surnames and some possible equivalents today
follow:

Blasius

Horvath-Horvoth-Horwoth-Horvatits

Rogosar

Damsics-Damsits=Demsych from Oppidum, Stynychnyak district Croatia 1519

Toth
Sostarics-Sostarits
Doek-Deak
Stansics-Stansits
Nag-Nagy (?)

Robek=Robak=Rebak from Oppidum, Stynychnyak district Croatia 1519

Hiervala
Kis
Medeicz-Medes

Paulinkovics-Palinkovits=Paulykowycs=Pawlekowych from Oppidum, Stynychnyak
district Croatia 1519 or = Paulinowych urbar from Dubovac 1579

Gerdarics-Gerdarits

Belkovics-Belkovits=Belkowycs=Belowych from Kyrynchychy, Stynychnyak district
Croatia 1519 or Yavorovacz

Prochsics-Prochsits
Toth
Kehen

In the urbar of 1576 we have the addition of Bwksyth, Horvat, Robek, Kis and
Wgwala (Hiervala?).
(End of article-newsletter continues as no. 80A)

This thread: