BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 80A dtd 15 May 2000
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:21:50 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 80A
(issued biweekly by )
May 15, 2000

This second section of the 3 section newsletter continues the article about
immigrant travel and completes the list of Possible Burgenland Immigrant
Ships in excess of 15M tons as begun in Newsletter No. 79A. It also includes
Source For Hungarian Obituaries, Schloss Kapfenstein, the Burgenland "Deep
South", and the Tale of the Esterhazy Irish Governess.

POSSIBLE BURGENLAND IMMIGRANT SHIPS (P to Z, The Larger Vessels Built Pre
1929)

These are ships built before 1930, which were in excess of 15M tons. Shown
are the ships' names, where and when built, approximate tonnage (rounded to
nearest thousand tons), service speed, number of passengers, shipping firm,
normal port to port route and final disposition. During WWI and WWII, many of
these ships were used as troop ships or laid up in ports of destination or
origin. Many were seized as war reparations and given new names and new
routes.

PARIS, St. Nazaire, France 1921, 35M tons, 22 knots, 1930 passengers. French
Line, Le Havre-New York service. Burned and capsized 1939.

PITTSBURGH, Belfast, Ireland 1922, 16M tons, 15 knots, 2400 passengers. White
Star Line, transatlantic service. Red Star Line 1925, renamed PENNLAND 1926.
Sunk 1941.

PRESIDENT GRANT, Belfast, Ireland 1907, 18M tons, 14.5 knots, 3830
passengers. Hamburg-America Line, Hamburg to New York service. Laid up 1914.
United States Lines 1923-24, renamed REPUBLIC, New York-north Atlantic
service. Hospital ship 1931-51, scrapped 1952.

PRESIDENT LINCOLN, Belfast, Ireland 1907, 18M tons, 14.5 knots, 3828
passengers. Hamburg-America Line, Hamburg to New York service. Laid up 1914.
Seized by US, troopship, sunk by U-boat 1918.

PRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM, Geestemünde, Germany 1908, 17M tons, 17 knots, 2519
passengers. North German Lloyd, Bremerhaven to New York service. To British
as war reparations 1919. Canadian Pacific Lines 1921. Renamed EMPRESS OF
INDIA, Liverpool Quebec City. Scrapped 1930.

REGINA, Belfast, Ireland, 1918, 16M tons, 15 knots, 2455 passengers.
Dominion Line 1920, White Star Line 1925. Seat of Dutch government in exile
WWII. Scrapped 1947.

ROMA, Genoa, Italy, 1926, 33M tons, 22 knots, 1675 passengers. Navigazione
Generale Italiana, Italy to New York. Italian Line 1932. Laid up 1939.
Rebuilt as aircraft carrier AQUILA. Sunk 1945.

ROTTERDAM, Belfast, Ireland, 1908, 24M tons, 17 knots, 3575 passengers.
Holland-America Line, Channel ports-New York run. Laid up WWI. Broken up 1940.

ST. LOUIS, Bremen, Germany 1929, 17M tons, 16 knots, 973 passengers.
Hamburg-America Line, Hamburg to New York service. Bombed 1944, scrapped
1952.

SAMARIA, Birkenhead, England, 1921, 20M tons, 16 knots, 2190 passengers.
Cunard Line, Liverpool to New York-Boston-Eastern Canada service. Scrapped
1956.

SATURNIA, Monfalcone, Italy, 1927, 24M tons, 19 knots, 2197 passengers.
Cosulich Line, Italy to New York service. Laid up in Italy 1940-42. US
hospital ship. Scrapped 1965.

SCYTHIA, Barrow in Furness, England, 1921, 20M tons, 16 knots, 2206
passengers. Cunard Line, Liverpool to Canada service. Scrapped 1958.

TITANIC, Belfast, Ireland, 1912, 46M tons, 21 knots, 2603 passengers. White
Star Line, Southhampton to New York. Struck an iceberg and sank on maiden
voyage, 1503 passengers lost.

TRANSYLVANIA, Glasgow, Scotland, 1925, 17M tons, 16 knots, 1423 passengers.
Anchor Line, Glasgow to New York. Torpedoed 1940.

TUSCANIA, Glasgow, Scotland, 1922, 17M tons, 16.5 knots, 2435 passengers.
Anchor Line, Glasgow to New York. Chartered to Cunard 1926-31. Sold to Greek
Line 1939. Name changed. Scrapped 1961.

TYRRHENIA, Glasgow, Scotland, 1922, 16M tons, 16 knots, 1785 passengers.
Anchor Line, Glasgow to New York. Renamed LANCASTRIA 1924. Bombed and sunk
1940.

VATERLAND, Hamburg, Germany, 1914, 54M tons, 23 knots, 3909 passengers.
Hamburg-America Line, Hamburg to New York service. Largest liner in the
world 1914-21. Interned New York 1914. Sized by US 1917, renamed LEVIATHAN
troopship. Sailed 1922-23 as US Lines LEVIATHAN New York to Southampton
service. Scrapped 1938.

VEENDAM, Govan, Scotland, 1923, 15M tons, 15 knots, 1898 passengers.
Holland-America Line, Rotterdam to New York service. Damaged 1940. Resumed
service 1947-53. Scrapped 1953.

VOLENDAM, Govan, Scotland, 1922, 15M tons, 15 knots, 1899 passengers.
Holland-America Line, Rotterdam to New York service. War service 1940-45.
Resumed service 1951. Scrapped 1952.

VULCANIA, Monfalcone, Italy, 1927, 24M tons, 19 knots, 2196 passengers.
Cosulich Line, Italy to New York service. Laid up in Italy 1940-42. US
hospital ship. Scrapped 1974.

SOURCE FOR HUNGARIAN OBITUARIES (Viktor Fischer & Fritz Konigshofer)

Viktor writes: Hello Gerry, how could I find any obituaries for my
grandfather Frigyes GRÁTZL? He died 1937 in Kõszeg (former Güns) from a WWI
chest injury, and had been born in Bozsok (Poschendorf) March 1893. He was
awarded a military funeral - which my mother and her sisters still remember
with great distress - he died with the rank of Captain and had been attached
to the cadet school Hunyádi Mátyás Reál Iskola which I had thought was in
Szombathely, but now I believe it was in or near Kõszeg.

I would want to look at both any Kõszeg newspapers and any county-wide
Vasmegye newspapers: what would those newspapers be, where might archives be
and how could they be accessed? U.Viktor Fischer, Melbourne, Australia

Fritz replies: Viktor, Gerry forwarded your following message to me. With
the information you have as per your message, I still cannot understand why
the Hungarian Military Archives cannot pull up a file on your grandfather.
Could it be a question of paying them for the search?

Viktor, I believe that at least the Günser Zeitung (in German) continued
publication after 1918 and might still have existed until 1938. You recall,
I was able to find an obit on your g-grandfather Johann Gratzl's death of
1924 in that newspaper. If you can give me the precise date of Fritz
Gratzl's death, I'll try to check the Günser Zeitung of 1937 at my next visit
to Budapest.

Obviously there must have been newspapers in the Hungarian language that
could be checked for an obit. Since I do not understand Hungarian, you might
want to approach the Hungarian National Library with a related research
request and ask what they would charge you for performing the search.

The Hungarian National Library also has a collection of obits. I would be
happy to check the 20th century section on whether they have an obit of Fritz
(Frigyes) Gratzl's death. However, according to my relatively limited
experience with the obit collection, these are only the obit notes produced
by the families, i.e., those usually black bordered single sheets announcing
the death and funeral. They normally do not have bio info, but often list
all the close relatives.

As mentioned, I could do this lookup whenever I get my next chance in the
library in Budapest. In the recent visit, I never had the chance to check
the obit collection (which has much more limited opening hours than the
normal library).

SCHLOSS KAPFENSTEIN & THE BURGENLAND "DEEP SOUTH" (Tom Grennes)

Tom writes: << Do you know anything about Schloss Kapfenstein as a place to
stay while visiting Burgenland/Styria? My wife and I will be visiting in
that area briefly next month, and it appeared that it might be an easy drive
from there to Minihof-Liebau, the birthplace of my grandmother. >>

My answer: Schloss Kapfenstein is an old restored castle at the end of a
winding narrow mountain road in the middle of nowhere. Parking a short walk
below the castle. Drawbridge and moat. About what you'd expect a smaller
castle to be. Only a restaurant with good wine when I was there last
(1993)-very picturesque and beautiful views of surrounding countryside. Know
nothing about amenities today, but castle hotels are always fascinating and
often expensive. I would guess it's a 30-45 minute drive north east to
Minihof (narrow winding roads). If you want to stay in Minihof, Gasthaus
Hirtenfelder looks good.

Another good bet for you is Bad Gleichenberg (slightly west); many fine
hotels. Old world spa with concerts in the evening, beautiful park like
setting. Many fine restaurants. I like Hotel Pension Allmer; Familie Pfeiler
A8344 Bad Gleichenberg 19. Not expensive and very comfortable. Good pension
meals. Buffet breakfast. Owner presented me with flowers and a bottle of
bubbly on my birthday there. Adds 15 minutes to above time.

Some nice accommodations in Jennersdorf (Hotel Raffel) also.

Tom asks: << My impression is that the Lutheran church and cemetery in Neuhas
serves people from Minihof-Liebau and Tauka, as well. Does it also serve
people from one of your ancestral villages (Eltendorf??) >>

My reply: Neuhaus does have the Lutheran church for M-L and Tauka, but not
for Eltendorf. Eltendorf would be too far north and has its own "Martin
Luther Kirche" (built 1770 on site of much older church) serving that area.
Also Lutheran churches at Muhlgraben, Kukmirn, Stegersbach and elsewhere.
Many Lutherans in southern Burgenland, refugees from when Styria went
completely Catholic. Good gasthaus ("Kirchenwirt" -familie Mirth) across the
street from church in Eltendorf. I'll look forward to receiving a trip report
from you! Regards, Gerry