BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 80B dtd 15 May 2000
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:21:56 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 80B
(issued biweekly by
May 15, 2000

This third section of the 3 section newsletter concerns Finding An Elusive
Birth Place, Further On The Term Windisch, Immigrants From the SS Kroonland
Who Settled in McKees Rocks, PA, Bob Hayes' Preliminary Trip Report & Ethnic
Cleansing, Addition to Klaus Gerger's Maps, A Member Sends His Thanks, URL &
Member Changes and our Staff List.

FINDING ELUSIVE BIRTH PLACES (Mary Light, Fritz Konigshofer, Albert Schuch)

Ed. Note: As we scan records we find references to other Burgenland places of
birth, some are obvious others are not. Some are abbreviated or reversed
(like Puszta XXX as opposed to XXX-puszta or XXX -major or XXX-minor or Kis-
or Also- XXX or XXX (Kis-also) and then we can have a real problem. I find
that my best approach is to compare what I find with a list of local villages
that I maintain for the area in question. If I find no match I then go to a
gazetteer and check the county (Megye) and district (Jaras) list. Using a
foreign gazetteer, some of which have been mentioned in previous issues is
not always easy. We must become familiar with how it has been prepared. Is
there an index? How are the villages listed? Do common endings come first or
last? Is it organized by district within county or in some other way?
Secondly we must understand the Hungarian and/or German headings. My
favorite gazetteer for Burgenland research is Dvorzsak, Orts Lexicon von
Ungarn 1877, LDS microfiche number 6000840. If I still can't find a match I
turn to my Hungarian atlases. Even then, the village may be so small as to
elude me. I must then seek an even more detailed source. The following is a
perfect example (Mary Light can not locate Kethelytáboripuszta which
translates Mannersdorf Tabori Farm (Major):

Fritz responds to a question from Mary Light:

Dear Mary, It is very good news that you are on the right track with the
records of the St. Nikolaus parish near Güssing. After September 1895, the
LDS film holdings switch to civil records. For Punitz, the civil recording
was done in Güssing or Güssing environs. Perhaps you know how long the
Freigrubers lived in Punitz before emigrating. By the way, some vital
events, i.e., births, marriages and deaths, happening to local people in the
USA still made their way into the local civil records. There probably was a
legal requirement to do so, but it could also have had the purpose to
establish heritage rights.

As to the location of Kethelytáboripuszta, my strong guess is that this was
the place near Repcekethely (Mannersdorf) and Alsó László (Unterloisdorf). I
had written to you about the "Tabor flour mill" ( see Taboripuszta mentioned
by Albert Schuch later) near Unterloisdorf which shows on my very detailed
map. You will need to order the film with the r-c records of Mannersdorf,
and check the timeframe of 1850-60 for the birth of Peter Freigruber, or his
brothers/sisters.

The other option would be the records of Neumarkt im Tauchental
(Felsõkéthely), in case the place was Darnópuszta. Please find below another
avenue opened by Suzanne Jimenez, even more northerly in the Burgenland than
is Mannersdorf. However, I am pretty confident you will immediately be
successful with the records of Mannersdorf.

If Johann Freigruber was a brother of Peter (after all they lived at the same
house in Punitz), then the question arises how he could have been born in
Grosspetersdorf (Nagy Szentmihály, also named Német Szent-Mihály). Perhaps
the parents moved from Grosspetersdorf to Alsó László in the 1850s, or the
origin of Johann was recorded incorrectly in his marriage record.

As to the descent of Julianna nee Kugler (or Kuller), Német Csencs had its
own r-c parish of which LDS has the film. One of the editors of the
Burgenland Bunch, Anna Kresh (whom I am copying on this mail), has
extensively searched the records of Német Csencs (Deutsch Tschantschendorf)
and might have some advice for you. Julianna Kugler/Kuller should also have
been born in the 1850s.

Albert Schuch also finds the village in one of his sources:

Fritz, << ... I found in my library a detailed map of Mannersdorf in middle
Burgenland. To the east of Unterloisdorf (Alsólászló), this map shows a
place called Tabormühle (Tabor flour mill). Perhaps this was the
Taboripuszta mentioned as the place of origin of Peter Freigruber. In this
case, the Kethely would have been Répcekéthely which has the German name
Mannersdorf. Mannersdorf was also the seat of the r-c parish. >>

I guess that Mannersdorf is the place you are looking for.

Some time ago I acquired an old book entitled "Alphabetisches Ortsverzeichnis
für Burgenland mit den zuständigen Auszahlungs-Postämtern und deren
Postamts-Nummern, sowie einem alphabetischen Verzeichnis der
Auszahlungs-Postämter", issued by the "Allgemeine
Invalidenversicherungsanstalt". This book looks like it has been printed in
the 1950's or 1960's and provides the most detailed list of village names for
Burgenland that I happen to know.

It lists a "Taborpuszta" in the EH-category (EH meaning "Einzelgehöft", i.e.
a farm outside a village) with Mannersdorf an der Rabnitz as the
"Auszahlungspostamt" (postal office). The "Tabormühle" has the same postal
office, by the way.

As you suggest, the Freigruber family may have moved from Grosspetersdorf to
Mannersdorf.

FURTHER ON THE TERM WINDISCH (Tom Grennes and Fritz Konigshofer)

Tom writes: Hello Fritz, I read your discussion of Windisch and I am curious
about the significance of the term. You say it is an old German word for
Slav. Is it a generic term for Slav or did it refer specifically to Slovenes
or Slovenes plus Slovaks? Did it also include Croatians?

My personal interest is related to Minihof-Liebau and the nearby area that
includes Windisch-Minihof. This is the birthplace of my grandmother, and I
will be visiting the area briefly in the next month. I seem to remember
reading in one of the Newsletters that there was an ethnic Croatian
population of perhaps 15% around Minihof-Liebau. Was this part of the
Windisch group, or was it separate? Does the name Windisch-Minihof have
historical significance as perhaps a village that was once dominated by
Slavs? Does it still have a larger Slavic population than the neighboring
villages?

My earlier introduction to the term Wends is related to descriptions of the
Viking s attacking the Wends in what is now Northeastern Germany. I think I
read that this group of Wends was annihilated. It also seemed from the
context that the Wends were different from Poles. Any insights would be
helpful. (Editor's Note: The tribe of Wends that was located in northern
Germany bears absolutely no relationship to the term Windisch given to
Hungarian Slavs as Fritz later indicates.)

Fritz replies: The people in Styria and Carinthia use the term "windisch"
only for Slovenians. It is not used to describe Croatians or Serbians.

Far in the north, the Prussians used the same term "Wenden" (or wendisch) to
describe the Sorbs, a slavic population immediately to the east, between the
Germans and Poles. The Sorbs have pretty much disappeared as a recognizable
ethnic group. This coincidence leads me to believe that the word itself is
an old one, used by Germanic populations to describe Slavs. By the way, the
Germans used the term "Welsche" (or walsch) to describe Latin language
speaking foreigners (Hungarian vlah or olah), such as Italians or Romanians.

The term Windisch-Minihof should, in my view, denote a village with a
previously predominantly ethnic Slovenian population. Minihof means the
place of an abbey or of an abbey farm ( the farm of the monks), and there
were several such places in today's Burgenland, including a Minihof-Liebau
(next to Windisch-Minihof), a Deutsch-Minihof not too far away, and a
Kroatisch Minihof in middle Burgenland.

However, I don't think that Windisch-Minihof had a particularly Slovenian
population in the last or this century. The family names there are pretty
much German, but as I said, the original meaning of the village's name most
likely referred to a Slovenian population. The so-called
"windische country" (of county Vas) started very near to Windisch-Minihof to
the south of it.

IMMIGRANT NAMES FROM THE SHIP KROONLAND WHO SETTLED IN MCKEES ROCKS, PA (from
Bernadette Sulzer Agreen)

Bernie writes to Den Ardinger: I've taken several walks through St. Mary's
cemetery in McKees Rocks and have been compiling a list of 'familiar' BB
names. I'll put it together soon and forward it to Gerry for the BB. On my
last walk I came across the grave of John Artinger... all it said was Father,
1882 - 1948.

Interestingly, I came across the grave of Franz Windisch...b. 29 March 1876
and d. May 15, 1907. I knew there were Windisch members east of Pgh, but
here is one buried in McKees Rocks. One of these days I'll have to explore
my Windisch roots. Hopefully by then we'll have figured out how our Artinger
lines tie together.

Did you ever go to the Federal Court Blg in Pgh and look up all the
Artinger/Ardingers who applied for naturalization papers? Those papers would
tell you whether or not they were from Sandorhegy or Unterradling. From
those papers, you can get the ship name & date and then see from the ship
list who those Artingers came to stay with in the Pgh area.

Not related directly to Artinger, but to our genealogy in general. I had an
interesting find looking at the May 5, 1903 ship manifest of the Kroonland.
I had ordered the film from the LDS library because I knew this was the ship
Stephen Mulzet came on (from his naturalization papers). I wanted to see who
he was coming to stay with in McKees Rocks. I was just looking for a clue.
However, not only did I find Stephen Mulzet, but also I found my Michael
Mulzet and his future wife, Cecilia Sulzer. Not just them, but a total of 21
people of only 154 passengers on the ship came from either Unterradling,
Inzenhof, Eberau or thereabouts. Wow!!

(Editor's note: KROONLAND, (sister ship FINLAND) Philadelphia, PA, 1902, 13M
tons, 15 knots, 1570 passengers. Red Star Line. New York to Antwerp. Scrapped
1927.)

Here's some basic info...let me know if you want more detail on anybody and
I'll give you what I wrote down.

1. Theresa Wellinger (Gussing) age 17 came to McKees Rocks to stay with uncle
Anton Hutter.

2. John Marth (Gussing) age 35 came to McKees Rocks to stay with b-in-law,
John Schleder.

3. Angela Golitz (Gussing) age 18 came to McKees Rocks to stay with
b-in-law, Anton Hugger.

4. Teresa Kovacs (Unterradling) age 38 came to McKees Rocks to stay with
b-in-law, Paul Krobot.

5. Barbara Nikischer (Unterradling) age 19 came to Pgh to stay with brother
Wm Poppe.

6. Cecilia Sulzer (Unterradling) age 19 came to Pgh to stay with b-in-law,
Wm Poppe.

7. Michael Stangl (Unterradling) age 18 came to McKees Rocks to stay with
uncle Josef Koller.

8. Joseph Bodler (Unterradling) age 18 came to So Bethlehem to stay with
uncle Josef Gilly (sp?)

9. Stefan Mulzet (Inzenhof) age 17 came to McKees Rocks to stay with uncle
Joseph Drauch.

10. Joseph Domodor (Unterradling) age 24 came to Pgh to stay with sister
Maria Domodor.

11. Michael Mulzet (Unterradling) age 24 came to Pgh to stay with sister
Teresa Mulzet.

12. Stefan Keppel (Gussing) age 27 came to Allentown to stay with cousin
Stefan Tonner (sp?)

13. Maria Petrovitch (Unterradling) age 24 came to Pgh to stay with brother
Joseph Petrovitz

14. Marie Wagner (Vasszentmihaly) age 32 came to Passaic, NJ to stay with
husband Frank Wagner.

15. Joseph Urban (Kulun?) age 16 came to McKees Rocks to stay with father
Charles Urban.

16. Anna Urban age 15 (same as above)

17. Hermine Graf (Eberau) age 18 came to McKees Rocks to stay with b-in-law
Josef Horvath.

18. Maria Luisa (Eberau) age 17 came to mcKees Rocks to stay with cousin
Charles Luiser.

19. Josepha Luisa (Eberau) age 18 came to McKees Rocks to stay with b-in-law
Joseph Horvath.

20. Ferdinand Graf (Eberau) age 24 came to McKees Rocks to stay with
b-in-law Franz Schaffer

21. Karl Horvath (Dozuraek?) age 22 came to McKees Rocks to stay with
b-in-law Franz Schaffer.

PRELIMINARY TRIP REPORT ENCOUNTERS ETHNIC "CLEANSING" (from Robert Hayes)

Bob writes: Hi Gerry- I just returned from 6 days in the Burgenland. I
stayed mostly in Podersdorf because of its location near the villages of
interest to me.... I will write a full report for you if you like (Ed.
-forthcoming). I traveled over almost the entire Burgenland during my visit,
getting as far south as Gussing.

I went across the border into Hungary and visited the town of Janossomorja,
the former St. Johann and St. Peter Roman Catholic parishes that were the
home of my maternal grandfather's family (Perlinger) for 200 years. Sadly,
all were killed or expelled as a result of the "ethnic cleansing" that took
place in these small towns in 1946. The monument at the basilica in
Frauenkirchen says 4500 German speaking people were lost (literally "fallen
ones") at this time,
including many of my relatives, even after giving up their sons in defense of
the country. We've found one Perlinger (who was a small girl at the time)
who survived and is now in the U.S. Until she was contacted by my uncle
Francis Perlinger, she had thought all of the Perlingers were dead. I've not
seen this aspect of Burgenland history mentioned in the BB newsletter or web
pages.

It's apparent that many Perlingers died as members of the German (Austrian?
Hungarian?) armed forces during World War 2. (Ed. Note: Austrians were
absorbed into the German Wehrmacht following the 1938 Anschluss; Hungarians
fought with the German forces but formed their own national divisions and
forces. Much loss on the eastern front as they were poorly equipped compared
to the German and Russian forces.) There's a monument which was erected in
1993 in front of Saint Peter's (by Austrians it would seem) showing 5
Perlingers perished among many others. I found another Perlinger listed on
the monument in Frauenkirchen. There are descriptive signs in Hungarian,
German, and English for the two churches in Janossomorja. The Hungarians
have cleared the property immediately to the east of the St. Johann church
and are apparently putting in a plaza of some sort.

I had previously located a relative in Wallern im Burgenland named Martin
Perlinger via the Internet, but I failed to hook up with him for several
reasons. We believe we are related as all of the Perlingers in Wallern are
descendants of a certain Johann Perlinger who came there from St. Johann's in
1803. I am very appreciative of the BB, it has been a great help. Bob Hayes

(Ed. Note: Following WWII, ethnic Germans were "cleansed" from all eastern
European countries. They joined the many refugees from that war. Areas
denuded of Germans were Romania, particularly Transylvania [including the
Siebenburgen "Saxons" who had lived there from the 13th century], Poland,
including those settled there by Catharine the Great as well as those settled
by the Nazi government, Czechoslovakia [including Bohemia, Moravia, Slovakia
and the Sudetenland and the areas colonized under Maria Theresia and Josef
II], Yugoslavia, Hungary, and of course all of western Russia [the Ukraine,
Moldavia, Ruthenia, Galicia etc.], where many had been "settled" during WWII
or earlier. Most were relocated to Germany proper or Austria, others joined
the post WWII wave of worldwide immigration which lasted well into the
1950's. There was no post war cleansing in Austria, in fact Austria has
remained a clearing house for WWII and other political refugees almost to the
present day.

In addition to Germans, ethnic Hungarians were also "cleansed" from Romania
and Yugoslavia.
These were Hungarians from post WWI Hungary as well as those who moved to
land acquired and lost by Hungary pre WWI and when it joined the axis in WWII.

If your family history takes you into these regions, it's very possible that
descendants are no longer living where you may have found their ancestors
[excepting Burgenland of Austria], as Bob Hayes found just over the border in
Hungary. Today, the same sort of thing is being observed in other countries.

As stated many of the German families "cleansed" had been citizens of those
regions for hundreds of years. Their crime was that having retained their
German language, customs and heritage, ipso facto they also supported the
Third Reich either consciously or unconciously and thus fell victim to the
desire for vengeance and the anti-German sentiments of the times. The
political winds generated by early migration, two world wars and countless
minor wars resulted in much merging of ethnic groups. This is now being
reversed as many countries attempt to "cleanse" national ethnicity using a
"who came first" mentality. Fortunately the United States as well as Austria
(particularly the Burgenland) recognize the benefits accruing from a mixed
ethnic population and the utter absurdity of "cleansing."

Those of us with ancestors from today's Burgenland (with the singular
exception of WWII Jewish and Gypsy [Rom] Holocaust victims) are fortunate in
that we do not have the genealogical problems inherent in refugee movement.

ADDITIONS TO KLAUS GERGER'S MAPS

One of our first newsletters addressed the availability of maps of the
Burgenland with a scale small enough to show all of the villages. A map no
larger than 1:200, 000 is required. We were able to provide various sources
for such maps (see our URL list) including the fine map available from the
Austrian Tourist Office in NY for $3.00 postage and handling. Recently
however, Klaus Gerger has embarked on providing maps as a web site. These are
framed by district and include lists of the villages and their various ethnic
names. The site is available from the homepage (click on Gerger's Maps).
While Klaus is still working on some of the districts, he has recently added
a Slovenian and Styrian border section because of the interest recently shown
for this area. If you haven't bothered to acquire a map you may wish to
download one from this site.

He writes: << Hallo from Vienna, in the last "news-letters" the Windisch area
was often a topic. So I tried to show the area (or at least parts of it) on
an extra map. I went only as far to the south as my basic maps did. I also
added a "new, history and planned" page. >>

A MEMBER SENDS HIS THANKS (from (Firmus J Opitz)

I would just like to take just a few minutes to thank you and all of the
Volunteers who put the BB on the networks. The people who put this together
are so dedicated to the Burgenland of which I feel such a great part of. I
have
recieved so very much information about my Ancesters and the
Villages they came from.... I would like to name a few helpers, if I leave
someone out, please forgive me. At age 66 I have a right to forget (I think).
Starting with the Herr Hauptman Gerry, Anna and her farm stories, Hap
Anderson, Dale Knebel who's grosseltern lived about a mile from where I grew
up on the farm near Eden, South Dakota, Janice Schneider who's parents lived
by us also. It should be noted that anyone who survied the SD winters had to
be tough, the only trees out there were telephone poles!! Of course The Herr
Schuch who has helped me more then I can express, His replies are sehr
schnell, in fact before I can press the send button he has sent the reply.
Tom Steichen who recently filled in a space in The Gangl-Pitzel Ancestors. Of
Course Konrad Unger who has a wonderful Website with px,s of Wallern, Tadten
etc. and Herr Unger der Lehrer. To all the others who responded to my
inquiries and to all of the above Vielen Danke. Burgenland always.

MEMBER CHANGES
REMOVED FROM DISTRIBUTION LIST
The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----(from 4/30/00)

NEW
Kurt F. J. Heinrich; (); Rockville MD. HEINRICH, MARTIN,
MARTON, DEUTSCH. Grosspetersdorf, Bgld. Schlaining, Oberwart.

Rose Kaufman; (); Washington, MI. SEIFERT(SZEIFERT) - LUNZER
- Tadten, Burgenland, Austria. GRIEMANN - possibly Burgenland area, -settled
in St. Paul, MN.

Gustavo Ernesto Kollmann; (); Buenos Aires (Argentina). My
grandfather´s name was Ernst KOLLMANN. Born in Antau and moved to Bad
Sauerbrunn (both in district of Mattersburg) untill 1930, when he came to
Buenos Aires (Argentina). Ernst was the son of Maurice KOLLMANN and Emma
HÖNISBERG.

Ed & Pat Mondschein; (); Nazareth, PA. MONDSCHEIN (Alois),
ECKER. Grossmürbisch.

Karyn Rammer, (), Amherst MA, RAMMER (ROMER),
Frauenkirchen, to Philadelphia, PA.

Alois Regner; () Winthrop, MN. REGNER, FRUWIRTH, MOSER, St,
Andrä. To US 1907.

John Weinzettle; (); Fort Myers, FL.; WEINZETL, Pamhagen.
Settled in Pittsburgh.

CHANGE
From: to (Patricia Harmon)

Roxanne Thiessen; (); Vernon, BC Canada.
GROIS/KROISS, UNGER - Wallern, Sankt Andra (Mosonszentandras),
Austria-Hungary. To South Dakota in 1885 then to Saskatchewan, Canada abt
1903.
(added data)

END OF NEWSLETTER

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF Coordinator & Editor Newsletter>
(Gerald J. Berghold; Winchester, VA )
Burgenland Editor> (Albert Schuch; Vienna &
Kleinpetersdorf, Austria)
Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson)
Internet/URL Editor> (Anna Tanczos Kresh; Butler,PA)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research>(Fritz Königshofer)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland> (Frank Teklits)
Home Page village lists> (Bill Rudy)
Home Page surname lists> (Tom Steichen)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)
WorldGenWeb -Austria, RootsWeb Liason-Burgenland > (Charles
Wardell, Austria)

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached from Home Page hyperlinks)

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

WORLDGEN WEB BURGENLAND QUERY BOARD
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Austria/Burgenland

Burgenland Bunch Newsletter distributed courtesy of (c) 1999 RootsWeb.com,
Inc. <http://www.rootsweb.com/>; P.O. Box 6798, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6798

Roots Web BB newsletter archives index and threaded search facility available
from http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm

Newsletter and List Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted; Provide
Credit.

This thread: