BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 85A dtd 31 July 2000
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:56:07 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 85A
(issued biweekly by )
July 31, 2000

This second section of the 3 section newsletter contains notice of a Family
History Television Series Planned For Canadians (will feature trips to the
homeland), some comments concerning Travel In Hungary, a Report of Phyllis
Sauerzopf's Recent Trip and Report of Multi Lingual Changes in Burgenland.

FAMILY HISTORY TELEVISION SERIES FOR CANADIAN MEMBERS-MAYBE YOU'LL RECEIVE A
TRIP TO THE "HEIMAT" (from Charles Wardell)

Charles forwarded the following email:

(from:)
Jeremy Schmidt, Researcher
Great North Productions
3720 76th Ave
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6B2N9
Phone (780) 440-2022 Ext. 265
Fax (780) 461-7521
Email

I am working as a researcher for a Canadian company called Great North
Productions. We a researching for a series called "Going Home", The series
will be seen on two channels, The Life Network, and the History Channel. The
History Channel wants a story with a historical spin, and the Life Network
wants a dramatic story. We want to incorporate both of these elements.

Going Home Series Overview

Going Home is a weekly, half-hour television series that will follow Canadian
families or individuals, the famous and not-so-famous, as they return to the
country of their family's origins-sometimes for the first time in their
lives, sometimes for the first time in generations, and sometimes, to renew
friendships with close friends and relatives. Going
Home will present to a national audience the varied multi-cultural facets of
our country and help Canadians understand where many of us came from-and, as
importantly, why we came. Combining travel, history and cultural exploration,
Going Home promises to be unique, informative, entertaining and
participatory. The series will be unpretentious and
unpredictable. In true cinema viewer's style, we will never know in advance
what awaits our travelers. Viewers watching Going Home will come to expect
the unexpected.

Genealogy has become almost a sacred mission for tens of thousands of
Canadians, and millions of people worldwide. Canada's Centennial in 1967 and
Alex Haley's 1976 book Roots, fuelled earlier explosions in searching out
family trees. This latest phenomenon springs from the Internet. With
only minimal coaching, people are flocking to related web sites (there are
over two million-and counting) to transport themselves back in time. When the
Mormons set up their free Internet site in May 1999, it received a staggering
30 million electronic hits in its first day of operation.

Surprisingly, the most dedicated questions, according to a survey for
American Demographics magazine, are 35 to 44 years old, a group whose nomadic
days are over and who are often raising kids. They show a strong desire to
reconnect to their roots-to fill in the gaps.

The families or individuals who trace their heritage in episodes of Going
Home will be selected by means of electronic and print research. A small
production committee might screen short home videos submitted by interested
parties in which they explain why they want to return to their ancestral
homeland. These videotapes could become part of the opening sequence of each
episode, and would enable the producers to ensure that the subjects of each
episode are comfortable before the cameras and have engaging
personalities.

Once the successful applicants have been selected, our documentary crew will
film them in Canada as they prepare for their trip and we will find out what
they expect to learn from their journey. We will then follow them to their
destination and document their experiences. We will come to learn something
about the land and the culture they left, find out why they (or their
forefathers) emigrated to Canada, and learn whether or not they now think
this was a wise decision. In some cases, we may arrange for our travelers to
be met by a local expert genealogist and/or historian who will have been
selected, as is done on the successful Antique Road Show series, for their
expertise in specific regions and time periods, and for their on-camera
presence and personality. The expert will then accompany the visitor back to
the region of his or her ancestry; explore both the history and the
contemporary reality of the area and attempt to make a connection with the
visitor's ancestral roots.

Each half-hour episode of Going Home will consist of one major documentary
segment in which we follow one family or individual back to the country of
their ancestry. This would be the centerpiece of each program. It could be
packaged with the video audition tapes and with interviews with the subjects
after they have returned from their trip. A studio host would conduct these
interviews, someone well recognized as an historian of note and with a
comfortable on-camera presence.

Great North Productions would like to pay for an individual to take a trip to
their homelands. I'd like to contact names and phone numbers of Canadians
that would like to take a trip to their homeland. Please reply if you have
any leads or people that we can follow up with. I am more than happy to send
information on Going Home and Great North Productions. This is a real
offer!!!! If you want to go back to your homeland and you have a story to
tell, or for more information feel free to contact me.

Ranked as Canada's leading producer of documentaries for 1998/99, Great North
Productions Inc. is living up to its mandate of creating high quality
Television programming with international scope and appeal. Based in
Edmonton, Alberta, Great North has operated for 13 years and has produced
nearly 300 hours of television programming. Great North programs have won 30
Alberta Film Awards, have been frequent finalists at the annual Hot Docs and
Gemini Awards, and have been recognized by the Charleston International Film
Festival, New York Festivals, and the Emmy Awards.

Great North has produced for all major Canadian television networks, as well
as many specialty channels including Discovery Channel, History Television
and Life Network in Canada, and National Geographic Television and The
Learning Channel in the US. In addition, Great North has partnered
with prominent American and overseas production companies on diverse
documentaries.

To get a clear understanding of your story, I'm including a questionnaire.
Feel free to answer it at your convenience. Also, I've been asking people
interested in Going Home to give me a full write up. includes; names, birth
and death dates of relatives, and location information on the place they
would like to visit that may play a factor in telling the story. Most
importantly, we want to hear of the trigger that made you want to go back
home. What event or thought makes you feel compelled to go?

> 1) Where exactly do you want to go?
>
> 2) Who/what will you see there?
>
> 3) What do you feel you will experience?
>
> 4) How long do you want to go for?
>
> 5) When are you able to go?
>
> 6) What is the trigger that makes you want to visit your homeland?
>
> 7) Any additional information?

What we need though is to arrive at a solid scenario for you to go home.
Along with a simple going home scenario, we need to find what I call the
"clincher". This is a part of the story where we see resolution. For an
example, I am working on a story of a master cabinetmaker. He is working on
a cathedral in his workshop. We want to send him back to his homeland after
25 years of being away. This master will search out his mentor, the man who
taught him to carve, in the hopes he can learn a special technique, as well
as obtain a special tool to finish the job. As you can see, there is drama
and resolution in that story. Do you have a special mission when you return
home? I would really like to forward your story, but we need to arrive at the
clincher for your story. I look forward to hearing more. Good Luck.

Jeremy Schmidt, Researcher
Great North Productions
3720 76th Ave
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2N9
Phone (780) 440-2022
Fax (780) 461-7521
Email

Charles sent the following note:
...in order to help you get additional exposure for your
undertaking, I am copying the following persons:

a) The Chairman of the WorldGenWeb Project, Nathan Zipfel
b) The founder of the "Burgenland Bunch", Gerry Berghold. This is a very
focused research group with several members from Canada.
c) The editors of RootsWeb's MISSING LINKS and ROOTSWEB REVIEW, Julia M. Case
and Myra Vanderpool Gormley
d) Robert Kobenter of Vancouver Island, Canada -- who is host of
CarinthiaGenWeb and StyriaGenWeb (Austrian provinces) -- and who is planning
a research trip to Austria in August. Alternative e-mail address:

e) Gail Edwards, Coordinator, Canada GenWeb Project

I hope this will be of some help. Good luck and best wishes,

HUNGARIAN TRAVEL COMMENTS (from Bob Unger and George Tebolt)

Following our travel hints article, I received a thank you email from George
Tebolt. I responded, thanking him for his comments. He also mentioned that
some of his Burgenland Ancestors had moved to Hungary and that he has
traveled to Hungary several times to visit them. I asked him about his
travels, since many BB readers have commented about travel in Hungary -
mostly reporting problems. I ten asked George to write about his travels- for
consideration as material for the BB newsletter. His response follows: