BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 86A dtd 15 Aug. 2000
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:57:05 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 86A
(issued biweekly by )
August 15, 2000

This second section of the 3 section newsletter contains an extensive
cemetery listing of Burgenland immigrants who settled in the McKees Rocks
Area of Western Pennsylvania, a report of Croatian Books Of Interest, more
Sources of Burgenland Flags, many Marriage Records-Danwebber Name, a source
of new Austrian Maps On CD, Micro vs Macro Genealogy Again and a response to
Hungarian-Mongolian Connections.

McKEES ROCKS, PA CEMETERY LISTINGS-BURGENLAND IMMIGRANTS

(Ed. Note: Bernie Sulzer Agreen has been an active member for some time.
She's done a lot of work in the border villages of Rönök (German name
Rädling, Ober & Unter), Hungary and the western Pennsylvania Burgenland
enclave of McKees Rocks. She now sends us a list of names and dates from her
local cemeteries, a great job. I've listed her family data. Contact her if
you find a link.)

Bernadette Sulzer Agreen; (); Pittsburgh, PA; WAGNER,
HARRER, WINDISCH, SULZER, ARTINGER, SCHMIDT, GOLLINGER, DRAMLER, HARRER,
STERN, GOLLINGER, SCHMIDT, NEUBAUER, HORVATH, STANGL, UNGER, MARX, TAKERER,
PENDL, BOGNEIN, HARTLER, PAUL, PODER. Felsoronok and Alsoronok, Hungary.
Settled in McKees Rocks, PA.

Bernie writes:

I have greatly enjoyed being a member of the BB! Much that I know now about
my ancestors and their homeland, I have discovered from the BB newsletters or
from exchanges with other wonderful members.

Many emigrants came to McKees Rocks at the turn of the 20th century, many of
them finding employment in the car repair shops with the P&LE RR (Pittsburgh
and Lake Erie) or in the local mills. Others became merchants. The success
and determination of these emigrants was reflected daily in the thriving
McKees Rocks businesses and the expansion of schools and churches during the
first half of the 20th century.

My grandparents were from Rädling (one from Unter and the other from Ober.) I
was greatly interested in Larry Zierhut's article regarding the ethnic
cleansing from two German villages in Hungary. Are you aware of any books,
articles, or web sites regarding the ethnic cleansing that occurred in the
Rädling area?

>From my many walks through the local cemeteries in McKees Rocks, I have found
clues to my ancestors. Researching my grandparents, I found that many of
their friends, relatives and neighbors also came to McKees Rocks. Every time
I'd see a name on a gravestone that sounded like a "BB" name I'd jot it down.
I have attached my lists from my cemetery walks in hopes that some of our BB
members may find a lost relative!

Mt. Calvary Cemetery, McKees Rocks, PA
(mostly Lutheran... but other denominations too)

Louis Artinger 1890 - 1976
Anna Artinger 1896 - 1954

Albert Bressler 1906 - 1974
Gertrude Bressler 1912 - 1999

Carl Fischl 1889 - 1977
Anna Fischl 1887 - 1959
Theresa Fischl Schwarzl 1892 - 1969(sister of Carl Fischl)

Gedeon Gyori 1873 - 1943

Michael Kovacs 1881 - 1959
Maria Kovacs 1885 - 1947

William J Marx 1910 - 1997
Florence Marx 1921 -

Amil E Marx 1912 - 1984
Anna Mae Marx 1911 - 1989

John Stangl 1916 - 1965
Helen (Rudison) Stangl 1917

John Stangl 1894 - 1965 (his mother was Marie Mulzet of Unterradling)
Teresa (Paul) Stangl 1894 - 1957

Edward F Sulzer 1889 - 1960
Mary (Takerer) Sulzer 1890 - 1988

St. Mary's Cemetery, McKees Rocks, PA (Catholic)

John Artinger 1882 - 1948

Charles Bauer 1887 - 1961
Rose Bauer 1889 - 1968

Charles Bauer 1884 - 1946
Mary Bauer 1889 - 1956

Robert Bittner 1907 - 1993
Gretchen Bittner 1909 - 1993

Herman H Bonstingl 1908 - 1971
Anna Bonstingl 1908 -

Rose Brunner 1891 - 1984
Ludwig Brunner 1887 - 1981

Karl Csenich 1884 - 1930
Justina Csenich 1889 - 1966

Karl M Csenich 1910 - 1972
Marie (Sulzer) Csenich 1915 - 1972

Rudolf Diecek 1887 - 1940
Julia (Keppel) Diecek 1884 -(born in 1884 in Oberradling)
Arthur J Diecek 1907 - 1950 (son)

Charles M Dolgos 1871 - 1931
Cecilia Dolgos 1881 - 1948

Joseph Drauch 1848 - 1924
Julia Drauch 1852 - 1933

Joseph Drauch 1885 - 1972
Theresa Drauch 1888 - 1974

John A Drauch 1908 - 1982
Julia Draugh 1910 - 1995
Marien E Draugh 1934 - 1995 (daughter)

John Drauch 1878 - 1962
Theresa (Mulzet) Drauch 1877 - 1956 (born in Unterradling)
Joseph Drauch 1913 - 1937 (son)

William P Drauch 1910 - 1943

Harry Fink 1880 - 1954
Anna Fink 1882 - 1971

Frank Flanhoffer 1892 - 1954
Julia Flanhoffer 1894 - 1982

Charles Fleishaker 1875 - 1945
Pauline Fleishaker 1885 - 1967

Albert Gerger 1910 - 1973
Frances Gerger 1911 -
Joseph Gerger 1913 - 1971 (WWII Army veteran)

Joseph Giedl 1885 - 1952
Anna Giedl 1892 - 1966
Anna T Lex (Giedl) 1912 - 1998

Frank Harrer 1879 - 1966
Lena (Schmidt) Harrer 1883 - 1947

Frank J Horvath 1894 - 1941
Theresa M Horvath 1897 - 1950

John Keppel 1887 - 1964
Rose Keppel 1888 - 1941

Charles Koger 1894 - 1966
Christine (Yost) Koger 1904 - 1976

John Koger 1901 - 1957
Franaceska (Horvath) Koger 1906 - 1998

Frank Koger 1892 - 1962
Theresa Koger 1896 - 1975

Michael Koller 1880 - 1957
Hermina Koller 1887 - 1969

Charles Krobot 1870 - 1949
Cecilia Krobot 1872 - 1946

Joseph Krobot 1879 - 1937
Theresa Krobot 1877 - 1963

Robert Krobot 1889 - 1956
Julia Krobot 1895 - 1971

Frank Lex 1876 - 1964
Mary Lex 1883 - 1936
Mary Lex 1905 - 1906 (daughter)

Frank E Lex 1903 - 1969
Hedwig Lex 1902 - 1956

Joseph Mahr 1885 - 1958
Theresa Mahr 1886 - 1964

Joseph Marks 1868 - 1938
Hedwig J Marks 1884 - 1960

Anna Marx 1919 - 1991
Alber Marx 1913 - 1989

Edward Marx 1907 - 1995
Mary E Marx 1912 -

Stephen Mulzet 1885 - 1966 (born in Unterradling)
Theresa (Muller) Mulzet 1886 - 1978

John Nickles 1878 - 1930
Theresa Nickles 1882 - 1946

Rose (Bauer) Nickles 1878 - 1957

Joseph Pandl 1898 - 1979
Theresa Pandl 1900 - 1979

Michael Perschy 1900 - 1944

Katherine Pohrer 1840 - 1903
Joseph Pohrer 1825 - 1903

Louis Posch 1894 - 1971
Gisella Posch 1893 - 1955

Karl Posch 1875 - 1948
Juliana Posch 1879 - 1964
Julia Posch 1905 - 1997 (daughter)

Anton Schaukowitsch 1890 - 1967
Gisella Schaukowitsch 1892 - 1982

Andrew Schaukowitch 1880 - 1950
Julie Schaukowitch 1884 - 1970

Frank Schmidt 1883 - 1940
Theresa Schmidt 1885 - 1977

John Schott 1887 - 1963
Theresa Schott 1888 - 1967

Louis Schrei 1878 - 1947
Theresa Schrei 1884 - 1954

Randolph Schrei 1908 - 1997
Mary Schrei 1909 - 1994

Frank Schrei 1880 - 1922

William Semler 1863 - 1940
Johanna Semler 1867 - 1925

Mary Simitz 1879 - 1918

Joseph Simitz 1879 - 1958
Gizella Simitz 1894 - 1949

Stephen Stangel 1894 - 1940
Ana Stangel 1897 - 1984

Michael Stangl 1886 - 1931
Mary (Schmidt) Stangl 1886 - 1962
William Stangl 1911 - 1918 (son)
Raymond Stangl 1935 - 1936

Norman Stierheim 1892 - 1955

John Sulzer 1884 - 1982 (born in Unterradling)
Theresa (Wagner) Sulzer 1884 - 1972(born in Oberradling)
Albert Sulzer 1914 - 1974 (son)
Frank Sulzer 1886 - 1939 (brother to John)
Julia (Harrer) Wagner 1859 - 1937 (mother to Theresa, born
Oberradling)

Mary Urban 1883 - 1946
Joseph Urban 1886 - 1964

Franz Windisch 1876 - 1907

John G Wilhelm 1893 - 1967
Margaret Wilhelm 1890 - 1971

Anna Yost 1884 - 1968
Alois J Yost 1885 - 1982
Josephine Yost 1877 - 1934

Stephen Yost 1881 - 1962
Cecilia (Urban) Yost 1881 - 1955
Cecilia Yost Kacsur 1908 - 1969 (daughter)

Joseph Yost 1871 - 1955
Emma Yost 1877 - 1955
Marie Yost 1903 (daughter)

Michael Yost 1882 - 1941
Anna Yost 1891 - 1973

Peter J Yost 1889 - 1968
Mary A Yost 1891 - 1896
Peter Yost Jr 1914 - 1936 (enlisted 10/13/1933, died April 5, 1936)

Alois Yunker 1865 - 1931
Catherine Yunker 1867 - 1958

CROATIAN BOOKS OF INTEREST (from Fritz Königshofer)

When I visited the Styrian State Library in Graz during my recent Austrian
vacation, I came across a few books about the Burgenland, and specifically
Croat settlement in Burgenland. There are two books I want to mention,
though you might already know about them.

Tornow, Sigfried: "Die Herkunft der kroatischen Vlahen des südlichen
Burgenlandes" [The origin of the Croat Vlahi of the southern Burgenland],
Wiesbaden, 1971, 274 pp., from the series Publications of the Department for
Slavic Languages and Literature of the Eastern European Institute at the Free
University of Berlin.

Geosits, Stefan (Ed.): "Die burgenländischen Kroaten im Wandel der Zeiten"
[The Croats of the Burgenland over changing times], Edition Tusch, Wien,
1986, 424 pp.

I had no time to actually look through these books, but might do so in the
future. My interest is huge, yet time is always short.

MORE SOURCES OF BURGENLAND FLAGS

(Ing. Dieter Karner of Neustift) advises:

Hallo, in the newsletter nr 84, there was a queston about burgenland flags.

Here you can get the flags via email:

1. email:
2. email:
3. email:
4. email:

MARRIAGE RECORDS-DANWEBBER NAME

New member Pat Screpetis sends us the following marriage records from the
Lehigh County Court House in Allentown, PA. These Danwebers (various
spellings) were from the southern Burgenland in the districts of Güssing and
Jennersdorf (district of Szt. Gotthard pre 1921)and settled in the Lehigh
Valley. Inhabitants of Wallendorf (Villa Wallorum) went to church in
Mogersdorf (Hungarian Nagyfalva) also in the district of Jennersdorf.

Pat Screpetis, (); Pineville, LA; Wallendorf, Deutsch
Schutzen and Raabfidish, Eisenburg, HUNGARY. Surnames: Damweber, Danweber,
Domweber, Donweber, Dunweber, Bukmitsz, Lang. Names and places of birth taken
from 1907 marriage licenses in Allentown, Lehigh Co., PA courthouse. >>

MARRIAGE LICENSE INDEX "D" - GIVEN NAMES "A-Z" LEHIGH COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

(Name, Year, Docket Number, Marriage License Number)

DUNWEBER, Celia to Frank PIFF, 1910, 23, 21465

DANWEBER, Charles J. to Barbel B. C. KLEIN, 1958, 107, 103097

DANWEBER, Carl T. to June M. CAINE, 1960, ___, 107136

DANWEBER, Emma to Gustave TAMERLER, 1942, 74, 73002

DONWEBER, Eugene F. to Patricia L. SCHEIRER, 1958, ___, 104004

DAMWEBER, Frank J. to Edythe M. BONNER, 1948, 88, 85675

DAMWEBER, Freida to Francis R. SCHLOGL, 1953, 99, 95191

DAMWEBER, Henry to Johanna LANG, 1907, 19, 17485

DAMWEBER, John to Elizabeth BUKMITSZ, 1907, 19, 18404

DAMWEBER, Julios to Martha M. LICHMAN, 1947, 83, 81496

DAMWEBER, Julius to Cecilia GOLLER, 1943, 75, 74105

DAMWEBER, Julius to Adolfine M. ERKINGER, 1949, 90, 87667

DANWEBER, Joseph to Julia MATSCO, 1934, 58, 57349

DOMWEBER, Louis J. to Josephine R. GOLDSMITH, 1928, 51, 49563

DANWEBER, Rudolph J. to R. Elaine KINDRED, 1950, 91, 88271

DONWEBER, Stella A. to Charles STANGL, 1929, 51, 50114

DAMWEBER, Theresa to Frank BERGHOLD, 1927, 49, 47974

Pat also writes:

DANWEBER is my husband's line. His father was Edward DANWEBER, b. 1914 in
Allentown, Lehigh Co., PA. Edward m. Mabel MURPHY of West Monroe, Ouachita
Parish, LA in 1935. (We do not know what brought Edward to LA. Verbal history
has it that he was apprenticed to a farmer near Allentown and he ran away.
However, we do not know if this story is true.) Edward and Mabel had two
children: Edward Doyle and Bettye Ann. Edward died in a work-related accident
in 1941 and is buried in Cypress Baptist Church Cemetery, West Monroe,
Ouachita Parish, LA. In 1945 Mabel MURPHY Danweber m. George Spiro SCREPETIS
and SCREPETIS adopted her two children by Edward DANWEBER. Edward Doyle's
name was changed to read George Doyle at that time. It has only been in the
past two years that my husband has been free to pursue his PA roots. We made
a trip to Allentown, PA in July to the courthouse there to try and discover
his grandparents' names and to perhaps find a birth record for Edward
DANWEBER. My husband never knew very many details about Edward DANWEBER's
life; we had very little to go on. We do know that Edward had a brother, Leo,
who was b. 15 Nov 1916 and d. 26 June 1990 in Palatka, Putnam Co., FL. Leo
served in WW II and was in the Army. We do not know if he married and had any
children.

AUSTRIAN MAPS ON CD (from Fritz Königshofer)

When I looked at new map offerings during my vacation in Austria, I found
that the Bundesamt für Eich- und Vermessungswesen (the Austrian equivalent of
the National Bureau of Standards) has made available their retail maps of
Austria on two CDs, Eastern and Western Austria. A single CD sells for
ATS550 (about $36 at current exchange rates), while the complete set is just
a little more expensive than the single price. I bought the CD with the maps
of Eastern Austria.

These are the most detailed maps you can find in retail. Their scale is
1:50,000. The CD of Eastern Austria covers all of Lower Austria, Vienna and
Burgenland, most of Styria, almost half of Carinthia, and a bit less than
half of Upper Austria. At this scale, one would need to buy about 17
individual maps on paper (at ATS80 retail each), to just have all of
Burgenland covered. The entire CD for Eastern Austria covers the equivalent
of almost 120 individual 1:50,000 maps. The CD includes additional maps of
Austria in the scales 1:200,000 and 1:500,000.

There are further advantages with the CD, as it obviously does not wear the
same way as the paper version, and comes with an index where you can search
every small settlement and immediately present it centered in a little
individual map. For instance, the index comes up with a total of 5 places
called Poppendorf, plus, of course separately, Poppendorfbergen! One can
also copy desired sections of maps and then pass them on as attachments via a
detour through a utility like Paint

The program runs under Windows 95/98 and NT4.0. While it sells through
retail, interested readers may also contact the producer directly. The web
site is www.bev.gv.at, e-mail , and I was
assured that ordering via the listed fax number is possible. If ordering
proves difficult, bb members can contact me and I'll purchase the copies for
them during a future stop in Austria. The ISBN no. of the CD with Eastern
Austria is 3-9501002-1-0. However, let me also say that the current user
interface (menu selections) is German only, and, as you will see, this is
also the case with the BEV web site. However, please don't be shy writing to
them in English.

MICRO VS MACRO GENEALOGY-AGAIN

I recently saw an advertisement for a computer genealogy link that said "Find
Your German Ancestor-In Any Time (Frame)-Anywhere" -Database of 10M Names!

This ad would have you believe that the database encompasses 1600 years of
Germanic history and covers all of Europe, parts of Asia, most of North &
South America and elsewhere. Will you really find "Germans" and/or German
emigration to all of these places? Further, does the database contain
variations of the original Germanic names? G. F. Jones in "German-American
Names" alone lists 12700 names. We have an extra 3000
Austrian-Hungarian-Croatian variations of Germanic names in our Burgenland
Surname Lists, very few of which are in Jones' book as such.

Now really, is it any wonder some people give up in disgust when tracing
family history. What is a German? A descendant of the Germanic tribes?
Someone who speaks German? Someone who was born in what is known as Germany
today? Someone who was born in one of the 400+ principalities of the Germanic
speaking Holy Roman Empire? Does it include those who migrated and retained
their Germanic language and culture? Most "experts" use the term Germanic as
opposed to German and restrict their help to specific times and areas. There
are associations and web sites that specialize in The Transylvanian Saxons,
The Donau-Schwabian Migrations, The Crownland Migrations, the Paltinate
Movement, etc. WorldGenWeb-Austria deals with Austria and then the Provinces
within Austria. These are the places to look.

We must discourage the idea that if someone has a Germanic name, their
ancestors must have come from that red colored blob in today's atlas, and
that any book or reference to a "German" web site will provide a family tree.
Just check a list for your name and eureka. This is utter rot!

As I've stated so often before, you must narrow the field. Before you get
serious in your search you must find the exact where and when of your
immigrant ancestor's birth. If you didn't learn any ethnic history or
geography in school or from your family, you'll have to do it now. If your
people did speak German and if you do have any clue pointing to the
Burgenland-the BB website is the place to look, not some macro-Germanic
source on the internet or on an expensive CD that'll gather dust.

HUNGARIAN-MONGOLIAN CONNECTION RESPONSE (from Felix G. Game- )

Felix writes: In response to the expressed interest in a possible Asiatic
descent of the old Magyars, I am attaching a short note from my web site
which may be of interest to your readers.

Hungarian Roots in China
By Felix G. Game

A Washington Post column appearing in the Guardian Weekly on 19 February 1995
tells of a graveyard near Urumchi, the capital of Xinjiang province in
northwestern China, which the Hungarian explorer Aurel Stein discovered in
1907. After 80 years of restrictions, Hungarian researchers were again
allowed to continue, and have excavated some 1200 graves finding implements
and burial methods to closely resemble 9th and 10th century Hungarian graves.
Not far from the grave site they came upon a small ethnic group called the
Ugars, of whom there are only 9000. These Ugars knew 73 songs that fit
exactly into the five tone scale on which Hungarian folk music is based as
popularized by Bartok. The researchers found the last woman who still knew
how to sing their folk music and the Hungarians found that "she sings it just
like we Hungarians".
Visit my Austro-Hungarian Web Site:
http://www.austro-hungarian-genealogy-translations.com

(newsletter continues as no. 86B)