BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 87 dtd Sept. 15. 2000
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:15:24 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 87

(issued biweekly by )
September 15, 2000
(all rights reserved)

o WHEN SENDING EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGES, INCLUDE NAME AND OLD ADDRESS AS WELL AS
NEW ADDRESS!

o NOTICE: ROOTS WEB IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING MONETARY CONTRIBUTIONS. CHECK
THEIR NEW POLICY AND HOMEPAGE AT www.rootsweb.com.

o NOTE: AN INDEX OF ALL NEWSLETTER TOPICS IS AVAILABLE AT:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm

Note to recipients. If you don't want to receive these Burgenland Bunch
newsletters, email with message "remove". ("Cancel" will
cancel membership, homepage listings and mail.) Send address and listing
changes to the same place. To join, see our homepage. We can't help with
non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are appreciated. Please
add your full name to email. Our staff and web site addresses are listed at
the end of newsletter section "B". Introductions, notes and articles without
a by-line are written by the editor. This first section of the 3 section
newsletter contains the articles: BB Picnic Reports, Allentown Ethnic Change,
Flag Source, NY Times Travel Section Features Burgenland Area, More on
Spelling of Names, More on the Mongolian Question, Village of Origin-
Weiskirchen? and News From Chicago. We now have 561 readers and 571 members.

BB PICNIC REPORTS (from Susan Peters & Klaus Gerger)

Burgenland Bunch Picnic-2000 (USA)
(see pictures by clicking on "Picnic" from homepage)

Susan writes: The 3rd annual Burgenland Bunch picnic was held on Sunday, 13
August, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was a perfect day to exchange
information, see old friends, and meet new friends. The temperature was in
the lower 80's and it was partly cloudy.

About 52 people attended this year and again came from near and far. (That
number may be low as there were a few who didn't get the opportunity to sign
in.) Kathleen Kelly came in from New York City, and of course, Bill and
Monica Peters from Sarasota, Florida. There were also the Schönfelders from
Texas and the Elli family from Chicago. Others drove from as close as two
miles and from as far as 120 miles. It is always appreciated that people
make such an effort to attend. Mike Kirchmeier, who ended up sleeping in his
truck last year because he couldn't find a hotel room was able to find a spot
on a nice comfy couch this year. There were many new faces and also ones who
come back regularly year after year. Real friendships are starting to form
that can only happen when meeting in person.

An attempted call to Klaus Gerger, who was having a Burgenland Bunch
gathering simultaneously in Burgenland, was complicated by the use of cell
phones. Unknown about the two phones that were available was that neither
service plan included the ability to call internationally. About an hour
later, someone discovered there was a pay phone just around the corner. So
the call was completed using a calling card. (see picture) Unfortunately,
the gathering in Burgenland was already done. Happily, we were able to speak
to Klaus and find out that his get-together was successful and even included
two Americans from Chicago. We are still waiting for our first attendees
from Burgenland and have high hopes some will be coming next year!

Again, the food that was brought to share was great!!! Rosemary Stifter made
two kinds of strudel that were wonderful! One was poppy seed and apple and
the other was apple and currant. You had to act fast to be fortunate enough
to have a piece of either! There were many beautiful and delicious salads
and desserts, and no one left hungry.

There seemed to be two distinct groups of people. Those who came to do some
serious research and share data, and those who came to just enjoy themselves
and socialize. Regardless of what camp you were in, everyone seemed to have
a good time. Some people had pictures to share about their recent trips to
Burgenland, and some were discussing plans for their trips coming up in the
near future. Some brought their portable PC's and really got down to
business. Pictures, books and data were exchanged all around. There were
several door prizes awarded, three of which were provided by Klaus Gerger.
After a snafu caused by the fact that the names from last year were left in
the box, the prizes were finally given away to the happy winners.

Reflecting on all that has transpired through history since Burgenländers
started to immigrate to the United States, it is a wonderment that we all
gather to celebrate our heritage, brave ancestors, and the place we all love
whether in the U.S. or Austria: Burgenland.

AND A NOTE CONCERNING THE SIMULTANEOUS BURGENLAND GATHERING (from Klaus
Gerger who also sent us a picture of attendees)

Klaus writes: Hi Susan, we just have one picture (attached) and none showing
me with my mobile phone connected to you. The picture is taken in front of
the Auswanderer Museum (Güssing). Heinz Koller with his wife an Mr. Weinhofer
and Mr. Dujmovits jun. from the BG joined us later. We had a guided tour by
Mr. Bartl in the Josef Reichl and Auswanderer Museum. After a little
"Schnaps" we drove to Steingraben to the Gasthaus Thomanek where we sat and
talked (with fine food and ice cream) the whole afternoon. One of the
outcomes was that the BG (Burgenländische Gemeinschaft) will start a web site
and publish some selected articles in the English language. Inge Schuch
offered to translate a few articles for us. After the meeting I had some
talks with Dr. Dujmovits and Mr. Pratl, so I'm optimistic for the web site.
Best wishes, Klaus

PS: in the picture standing from left, Gerhard Lang and his wife, the husband
of Margot Zappe, the parents of Inge an Albert Schuch, and Fred Bush with his
wife fom Chicago,(sitting) from left Margot Zappe (she is planning a tripto
Chicago) and Inge Schuch.