BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 87B dtd Sept. 15, 2000
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:15:36 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 87B
(issued biweekly by
September 15, 2000

o NOTE: AN INDEX OF ALL NEWSLETTER TOPICS IS AVAILABLE AT:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains a notice of the
Availability of Free PAF Software, a Misinterpreted Village Name,
Northampton, PA Celebrates 25 Year Partnership With Stegersbach and URL and
Member Changes (11 New Members).

PAF (LDS TRADEMARK FOR PERSONAL ANCESTRAL FILE SOFTWARE) AVAILABLE FREE
(from Bob Unger)

ED. Note: I've been using one or more versions of the LDS PAF Genealogical
Software for years. As far as I'm concerned, they wrote the book! There is
none better and their instruction book is superb. If you want a great
genealogical data base, this is it. Many conventions used by genealogists had
their birth with PAF. If you are not using this software, you are missing a
good bet. It is GEDCOM receptive and there is no need to reenter your data. I
also use other software for some reports and update them from PAF which is my
definitive family genealogy file. Do yourself a favor and look into this
software. My favorite is version 2.31, although I also use the Windows
version.

Bob writes: I just found the info detailed below - thought it worth while to
pass on to all BB members.

****
Personal Ancestral File (PAF) 4.0: While working the PAF directory I thought
I'd check the BB WEB links to see if there were any recent updates. To my
surprise they now offer PAF 4.0, downloadable free, including multi language
versions. I next did a search of the BB newsletters and could not find any
mention of PAF 4.0. (Previouis versions have been mentioned.) Simply go to
http://www.lds.org. Click on family history, then click on software
downloads, select your options, and follow their directions

New version of PAF, versions 4.04, is now available free via the Internet:

The following information was obtained from The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints WEB site @ <www.lds.org>, then click on family history,
click on "Whats new", and then click on "Personal Ancestral File 4.0".

Personal Ancestral File 4.0 (PAF 4.0) is a new Windows(r)-based version of
one of the most widely-used genealogical management programs for home
computers. The popular new software program can be downloaded free of charge
via the Internet at www.familysearch.org.

Personal Ancestral File 4.0 does not provide genealogical data. Instead, its
program helps users organize their family history records. The new features
include multimedia capabilities and enhancements to the more popular features
of version 3.0. Minimum System Requirements:

Windows 95, 98, or NT
IBM compatible 486/66 processor (Pentium(r) recommended)
16-32 MB memory
20MB hard disk space
256-color display adapter supporting 640x480 screen resolution (but
optimized for 800x600)
Internet access (if downloading from Internet)

Personal Ancestral File 4.0 will also be available on CD-ROM for a nominal
price in early 2000. Users will be able to purchase it from the Church's
distribution centers worldwide.

Copies of PAF 4.0, and its two hundred plus page users guide are free via the
Internet: <www.lds.org>, then click on family history, click on "Software
downloads", and then click on 36100999 Personal Ancestral File(r) 4.0.4 -
Multi Language (5.75 MB) and then click on 36100998 Personal Ancestral
File(r) 4.0 User's Guide (English) (1.10 MB). For our
friends and relatives in Austria, they can obtain their German version of the
users guide by selecting 77062995 Personal Ancestral File 4.0
Bedienungsanleitung (Deutsch) (1.36 MB). It is important to note that item
36100999 Personal Ancestral File(r) 4.0.4 - Multi Language (5.75 MB)
is multi language, including German.

MISSINTERPRETED VILLAGE NAME (from Christy Bates et al)

ED. Note: We pore over those LDS church records and sometimes see things that
appear to be something else. This is often the case with village names. It is
one of the reasons why I suggest you should make lists of the
German-Hungarian-Croatian names of villages close to your family villages of
origin. Member Christy Bates thinks she is being directed to a new village
and asks us for some help. Turns out not to be a village name at all.

I write to Christy: You thought Eszterhazyani was a village name and I asked
how it was used. In a message dated 8/26/00, had written:

<< It is a baptism record from "Austria-Burgenland-Mannersdorf an der
Rabnitz"(Kereszteltek, Hazasultak, Halottak 1827-1895) #0700822 microfilm
from LDS.

This was under the column of "Nomen et Cognomen Parentum, corurique Conditio
et Religio." and the year is 1852. Joannes Freigruber famulus pastor
arendatories Eszterhazyani et Theresia Knezits (or Knesits).

I understand that his occupation was shepherd. I had hoped that Eszterhazyani
is where Joannes was born not worked. This is the only Freigruber record I
have found in this reel. If it is not where he worked, what do you suggest I
do next? This seems to be a dead-end. I can try other towns close by as
Freigruber is very uncommon name. Christy Bates >>

(I write:)I believe this means Freigruber was a sheperd for Esterhazy
holdings. Are you sure the village of residence of the parents doesn't show
elsewhere on the document? It may well be Mannersdorf-sometimes only a ditto
mark is used taken you to a previous entry. It's interesting that the current
phone listing for Mannersdorf shows 3 Freiberger families and one Kneschitz
family. Are you reading the entry spelling of the names properly? I would
certainly look further in Mannersdorf records for marriage and/or deaths. I'm
copying Fritz Konigshofer. He may be able to add more.

Albert Schuch writes: I think that "famulus pastor arendatoris Eszterhazyani"
translates to "assistant sheperd of the Eszterhazy (estate) leaseholder".
Usually an "arendator" is a person who rents some kind of business, in this
case a whole estate. In 1852 the Esterhazys were literally bankrupt and had
to rent out many of their estates.

Fritz Konigshofer writes:
Christy, Gerry sent me a copy of your e-mail below. I don't have a good Latin
dictionary here at my home, therefore cannot confirm the meaning of
arendator. However, famulus usually means an assistant or apprentice, while
pastor refers to a keeper (usually of herds). I also agree with Gerry that
the reference to Eszterházy means that your ancestors worked on an estate
owned by the princely Eszterházy family in Mannersdorf.

Some time ago, I was in touch with Burgenland Bunch member Mary Light (whom I
am copying on this e-mail). Her ancestors were Freigrubers coming from
Punitz near Güssing (parish St. Nikolaus). From the records of St. Nikolaus,
it appeared that two young family members had moved to Punitz and married
there, namely a Johann and a Peter Freigruber. From the marriage records,
Johann was born about 1849 in Grosspetersdorf, while Peter was born around
1851 in Unterloisdorf (Alsó László) or Kethelytáboripuszta, both locations in
the neighborhood of Mannersdorf and served by the Mannersdorf parish. From
the way the place name looks to me, Kethelytáboripuszta could well have been
a "májor" (meaning: large farm owned by the overlord) of the Eszterházy
family.

Please contact Mary Light and see what she meanwhile has found out. From the
Punitz data, we had been surmising that the Freigruber family may have come
to the Mannersdorf area into the employ of the Eszterházys around year 1850,
and could have resided in Grosspetersdorf before. If so, this place was most
likely the Grosspetersdorf in today's Burgenland, southeast and quite a bit
away from Mannersdorf. Since I do not recall which Hungarian name I read in
the St. Nikolaus records (Nagy Szent Mihály or Német Szent Mihály, both
translating into the same Grosspetersdorf), there is a tiny other
possibility, namely, that the Freigrubers came from a Német Szent Mihály in
the Banat region of old Hungary (now Romania). The much more likely source,
though, is the Grosspetersdorf in Burgenland.

According to Gerry, there are still Freigrubers in Mannersdorf today.
Perhaps not all Freigrubers of the 1850 family had moved to Punitz.
Therefore, you should extend your search to the Mannersdorf records of the
late 1800s and early 1900s (civil records) to find death entries which would
likely contain birth places of members and close relatives of your line.

This is another way to chase the origin of a family if this origin was
somewhere else.

NORTHAMPTON, PA CELEBRATES 25 YEAR PARTNERSHIP WITH STEGERSBACH (from Phyllis
Sauerzopf)

I don't know if you saw this in the Morning Call. Complete article
(copyright) is available at:
http://www.mcall.com/cgi-bin/slwebsto.cgi?DBLIST=mc00&DOCNUM=26899

(Extracts follow)
This article is (c) The Morning Call Newspaper Company
Date: Monday, July 10, 2000 Page: B03
Edition: FIFTH; Section: LOCAL/REGION

NORTHAMPTON, STEGERSBACH MARK 25 YEARS OF SISTERHOOD
MONUMENT REDEDICATION, MUSIC HIGHLIGHT BOROUGH'S CELEBRATION OF ITS
PARTNERSHIP WITH AUSTRIAN CITY.
by JEFF MEYER, The Morning Call

The Austrian flag that hung next to the Stars and Stripes at a Northampton
park Saturday symbolized a bond between sisters.

The borough celebrated the 25th anniversary of its sister-city partnership
with Stegersbach, Austria, at an afternoon ceremony at Municipal Park...

The black granite monument was dedicated in 1990 by former Mayor Paul
Kutzler. It is in a small alcove of the park along Laubach Avenue, surrounded
by flowers and benches...

Stegersbach, a town of 2,500 people in the state of Burgenland, is
celebrating the anniversary with music, speeches and a Mass recognizing the
people of Northampton this week, according to Reenock...(see last BB
newsletter)

Councilman Edward A. Pany, a retired history teacher, reflected on the
history of immigration from central Europe to Northampton County.

He spoke about the "massive influx" of immigrants from Austria to
Northampton, Coplay and Nazareth before and after World War I. Many of the
Austrian immigrants worked at cement, cigar and silk factories...

Former Northampton Mayor Anthony Pany met Stegersbach Mayor Alexander Pratl
in Northampton 27 years ago. The two agreed that their cities should become
"sisters" in 1975...
(end of extract)

BURGENLAND BUNCH INTERNET LINKS - ADDITIONS, REVISIONS 9/15/00
(from Internet/URL Editor Anna Tanczos Kresh)

AUSTRIAN, AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
SOURCE OF BURGENLAND FLAGS (Fahnen)
o Erste Oesterreichische Fahnenfabrik
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/1_oesterr_fahnenfabrik/>; - (web
site of firm suggested by Charles Wardell)
o Fahnen-Gärtner <http://www.gastrotrends.at/fahnen/index.htm>; - (web site of
firm suggested by Gerhard Lang)
o Ridia <http://www.ridia.at>; (Gerhard Lang)

o VIENNESE CYBER CAFES <http://www.bignet.at>; - Internet, Fax, CD, and
scanning services; also some Internet services available at the Vienna
Airport and discount booksellers "Libro" (Eurocenter and Steffl department
stores, Amadeus bookshops) - see BB newsletter 85 for details (from Inge
Schuch)

GENEALOGY SOFTWARE LINKS
o WinFamily <http://www.winfamily.com/>; - genealogy software available in 16
languages <http://winfamily.com/language.html>; (Alan Varga)

NOTE: Following is an email from BB member Alan Varga regarding WinFamily:

<< I was looking through the links you sent me in my new member welcome note,
and saw several links for software. I recognized a couple of the titles, but
noticed that the one I use was not included.
WinFamily 6.0 is written by a Danish fellow named Jan Mortensen. The
program is available in several languages, including English, Czech, Slovak,
Hungarian, and German among others. I have been using it since version 4.0
and find the interface easy to use, yet for my purposes it is full-featured.
Perhaps other BB members might have some interest in this program. If so,
here is the link to their homepage, if you would like to include it in your
links list: http://www.jamodat.dk [Note: URL is now http:www.winfamily.com]
Regards, Alan Varga, Bloomingdale, IL >>

Thanks, Alan. I contacted WinFamily and Mr. Henning Mandrup advised me that
the software is currently available in 16 languages (see languages URL
above). WinFamily has resellers in Norway, Denmark (and Germany), Sweden,
Iceland, Faroe Islands, Australia, France, Canada. Software support is
available in the languages of the reseller countries.

HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
o Hungarotips <http://www.hungarotips.com>; - Hungarian genealogy; 1800 county
maps (click on Genealogy, Help, Reference) with placenames in Hungarian and
German, Latin, or Slovak; online Hung. lessons; low-cost Hungarian language
lessons by email (Maureen Tighe-Brown)

MAP SITES ON THE INTERNET
o Maps of Hungary prior to 1920
<http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~go2will/orosz/mapsofh.htm>; - nice
maps starting from 350 AD; not much detail
o AUSTRIAN MAPS ON CD <http://www.bev.gv.at>; - good Eastern
Austria/Burgenland maps; see BB Newsletter 86A for details (Fritz
Königshofer)

URL CHANGES (revised links/descriptions)
o Lehner, Andreas <http://members.xoom.com/lehner/default.html>; - Markt
Allhau, Austria; take a virtual walk through the center of Oberwart (address
change)
o Rogers, Theron <http://www.theronrogers.com>; - Gainesville, GA.; MUHR from
Heilingenkreuz; GRAF from Eltendorf (address change)

o 3000 Year Perpetual Calendar
<http://members.home.net/sedford/cal/main.html>; - International and British
versions; with 1582/1752 revisions for accuracy, links to calendar history,
etc. (new address)

o Steamship Historical Society of America <http://www.sshsa.net/>; - Langsdale
Library, Univ. of Baltimore; over 200,000 ship photos; brochures, plans, ship
books, ship lookups; you may arrange a personal visit to examine files (new
address)

o Bankerlsitzer <http://members.aon.at/bankerlsitzer>; - Rudersdorf village
newspaper; alternate site <go.to/bankerlsitzer> (new address)

o Diözese Eisenstadt <http://www.kath-kirche-eisenstadt.at/>; - Roman Catholic
Diocese of Eisenstadt; news section; no reference to archives (new address)

o Bogardi's Hungarian Genealogy Links
<http://www.bogardi.com/gen/index.shtml>; - Janos Bogardi's links to Hungarian
history, maps, dictionaries, emigration, translation services, sample
letters, and more; for list of villages by county (megye) based on Hungarian
national census of 1880; see 1882 Gazetteer of Hungary
<http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g104.shtml>;; see also house lists
<http://members.1012surfnet.at/gerger/Map/HouseLists.htm>; (added link to
house lists)

o Burgenland Croatians <http://www.HrvatskiCentar.at>; - history, timeline,
map showing Croatian settlements in Burgenland by dialect, links, and more;
English version now online
<http://www.hrvatskicentar.at/hp/englesko/default.htm>; (added English link)

o Vorfahren von Konrad Unger <http://welcome.to/k.unger>; - Genealogical site
from Konrad Unger, a teacher who lives in Wallern, Northern Burgenland; good
site for Wallern; mirror site <http://members.xoom.com/kunger>; (main site
problems, URLs reversed)

URLS DROPPED - LINKS BROKEN/CHANGED - INFORM URL EDITOR IF YOU KNOW ALTERNATE
URL
o Kubiatowicz, Dave and Rose <www.iol31.com/kubi/rosebloom/> - St. Paul, MN
(link broken)

o Das Lebendige Südburgenland <http://members.aon.at/newspage/Südbgld.html>; -
pictures, short histories of a few southern Burgenland villages (Jennersdorf,
Poppendorf, etc.) (link broken)

o Landesschulrat <http://www.bnet.co.at/brg_ei1/lsr_bgld.htm>; -
Landesschulrat für das Burgenland, Eisenstadt, Austria (link broken)

o Rohrbach bei Mattersburg <http://www.rohrbach-bm.at/index.html>; - history
and pictures; see also the Croatian Rohrbach article and map at
Orbuh - das kroatische
Rohrbach<http://www.rohrbach-bm.at/Historie/gesch_n8.html>; (link broken)

o Croatian Villages <http://www.nn.hr/Glasilo/97/0209a.htm>; - List of
Croatian villages by county (link broken)

MEMBER CHANGES

NEW
L. Cole; (); Nazareth, PA. CSENSITS,(?); TANISER,
(DANISER?),(?). Settled in Northampton then Coplay, PA.

Joe Domitrowich; (); Cupertino, CA. DOMITROVITS, BRUNNER,
STEINER, ASTL, et al. Deutsch Ehrensdorf, Strem, Steinfurt, Henndorf, Rax am
Bergen. Immigrants to Allentown, PA

Bob Gollinger; (); Prescott,Ontario, Canada. GOLLINGER,
(GÖLLINGER) TRINKL. Königsdorf, Königsdorf am Berg. Frank Gollinger,
emigrated from Konigsdorf in 1926 and after a stay in Western Canada, settled
in Kitchener, Ontario.

Lorette and John Gludovatz; (); Oliver, BC,
Canada. GLUDOVATZ, PRIOR. Klingenbach (Hungarian Kelenpatak), District of
Eisenstadt. Place settled: Oliver, BC, Canada.

Gus Gyaki, (), Manchester, MO. GYAKI (GYAKY), KELEMEN,
PALANK; Oberwart, Unterwart, Pinkafeld. Settled in St. Louis, MO

Dianne Hedervare; (); Cottage Grove, MN. STETTNER,
POTZMAN(N), Bocksdorf. Settled in North Dakota.

Franz Lehner (), St.Andrä, Burgenland, Austria. LEHNER,
KERLINGER, HORVATH. Herkunft (origin of) name Kerlinger.

Lynn McNamara; (); Lansing, SCHUCH, (maternal grandfather),
FASEL (maternal grandmother), other names: WAGNER & OSWALD. Neuberg &
Rohrbach (an der Teich). Maternal grandparents settled in Chicago, IL, early
1900's.

Gernot Pfingstl, (), Dietersdorf, Styria (on the border to
Burgenland, next to Rudersdorf/Dobersdorf, close to Fürstenfeld/Therme
Loipersdorf); PFINGSTL, Hohenbrugg an der Raab; SÜSZ, SCHWEINZER,
Dietersdorf; looking for relatives in the US.

Edward Pottmeyer, (), Hollidaysburg, PA. John PANNER,
Gussing, Kukmirn (RC) to McKees Rocks, PA. Theresa Ann NIKISCHER, Ronok,
Alsoronok, Unterradling to Mc Kees Rocks , PA. Michael NIKISCHER, Ronok, to
McKees Rocks, then Crownpoint, Indiana. George SULZER Ronok, Eltendorf
(Lutheran).

Elsie Wendlandt; (); Prescott, AZ. TASCHEK, HOLLENDONNER,
PISSLER, STAMPF. Rechnitz, Markt Neuhodis. Settled Chicago, IL; Darlington,
WI.

CHANGE
I have changed my email address. Name: Marlene Tschida Bryan
Old Address: ; NEW ADDRESS:

My new email address is:
Norman Gludovatz, Vancouver, Canada

Barb Guttmann, (); Chicago, IL -- GUTTMANN,
WACHHOLDER, VACHHALTER, MUHR, POMPER, SCHLOGEL from Burg and JALITS, JALICS,
HORVATH from Kleinzicken. Settled in Chicago.

Fritz Königshofer ; () Bethesda, MD (hometown Graz,
Austria); searching names KOLLER, TIVALD (DIWALD, TIBOLD), CZENCZ (CZENTZ,
ZENZ), KLEIN, BEIERNSTEINER, POSCH, mostly in Rechnitz (Rohoncz); FÜRSATZ
(FU"RSATZ, FU"RSZACZ), BERGER, STEINER, SCHREINER, WITMON (WITTMANN), in
Rohrbach (Nadasd), Marz (Marcz), Loipersbach (Lepesfalva), Pilgersdorf
(Pörgöleny, Po"rgo"leny); SZÁK (SZA'K), RATHNER (RATTNER) in Pinkafeld
(Pinkafö)... but where did they originate?; BÉRY (BE'RY, BE'RI) in Zala and
Somogy megye, SZABADOS in Vas megye.

From: (william krause)
this is wilhelm s.krause with a new e mail address.

Please unsubscribe but please add
... our new e-mail address is ...
thank you John W. Maschler Sr.

Bob Unger; change email address from <> to
<> El Cajon, CA; UNGER, BAUER, KOGELMANN, BÖSENHOFER, HITZEL,
KRACHER, MIRTH, Rudersdorf, Eltendorf ; UNGER, ZOTTER, Güssing. Unger
ancestors came to McKees Rock, PA in 1891.

From: (Jean Wu). From Jean Birmingham
My e-mail address is now

From: (D. Stockl)
On the Member List, I'd like to put researching PEISCHL and CZVITKOVITS in
Stegersbach, and PELZMANN and SCHABHU"TTL in Bocksdorf.

From: (Bob Zecker)
Please change my e-mail address for the Burgenland Bunch to
from .

END OF NEWSLETTER

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF Coordinator & Editor Newsletter>
(Gerald J. Berghold; Winchester, VA )
Burgenland Editor> (Albert Schuch; Vienna &
Kleinpetersdorf, Austria)
Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson)
Internet/URL Editor> (Anna Tanczos Kresh; Butler,PA)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research> (Fritz Königshofer)
Burgenland Co-Editor> (Klaus Gerger, Austria)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland> (Frank Teklits)
Home Page village lists> (Bill Rudy)
Home Page surname lists> (Tom Steichen)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)
WorldGenWeb -Austria, RootsWeb Liason-Burgenland > (Charles
Wardell, Austria)

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached from Home Page hyperlinks) or a simple search
facility (enter date or number of newsletter desired) can be found at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autbur/bbnlarch.htm#simple

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

WORLDGEN WEB BURGENLAND QUERY BOARD
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Austria/Burgenland

Burgenland Bunch Newsletter distributed courtesy of (c) 1999 RootsWeb.com,
Inc. <http://www.rootsweb.com/>; P.O. Box 6798, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6798

Roots Web BB newsletter archives index and threaded search facility available
from http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm

Newsletter and List Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted; Provide
Credit.

This thread: