BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 88A dtd Sept. 30, 2000
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 09:10:34 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 88A
(issued monthly by )
September 30, 2000

This second section of the 3 section newsletter contains Files Lost &
Croatian Language, Soldiers' War Graves, Question Concerning Viennese Birth
Records, Austrian Newspaper Carries Stegersbach-Northampton Partnership
Article, Birthday Greetings & Minneapolis Picnic Video Received, Prune
Filling (Lekvar) For Raised Strudel, Ethnicity & the Internet, ZEMLYAK Family
Notes, and a recipe for Austrian Fruit Bread (Glattzen Brot).

FILES LOST & CROATIAN LANGUAGE COMMENTS From: (Yvonne
Lockwood)

Well, the absolutely most awful happened: someone stole my laptop! Gone are
years of records. And how many of us regularly backup files? As a consequence
of resurrecting my records, I went to the BB web page and archives. What a
treasure trove! Thank you, Gerry, for your labor of love.

In the last newsletter regarding languages, you list Serbo-Croatian as one of
the spoken languages in the Burgenland. Today, this is more true than ever
before because of the large number of Bosnian refugees. However, the
Burgenland Croats, present in the Burgenland and western Hungary since 16th
century, according to oral tradition, speak Croatian. The reason I make this
point is that their language is quite different from the Croatian spoken in
Croatia (and therefore from Serbian) because of language shifts in the
territories of origin that occurred after major migrations. Gradiscanski
Hrvatski cannot today be called Serbo-Croatian.

As an aside, I do believe that the Serbs and the Croats in the south (former
Yugoslavia) do speak Serbo-Croatian today regardless of what the super
nationalists in those regions say. Perhaps with time what they speak will
diverge beyond vocabulary, but I doubt it.

WORLD WAR I GERMAN SOLDIERS' WAR GRAVES
by Robert (Ro) Lipprandt

(Ed. Note: Previous issues of the BB newsletter have mentioned the many War
Memorials found in Burgenland villages. These are a source of family names as
they provide given names as well as birth and death dates. Place of burial
however is something about which I know very little. The following describes
a source for German war dead-I'm wondering if a similar source is available
for the Burgenland war dead? I would assume that many of those from WWI are
buried in northern Italy or Galicia, those from WWII in Russia, Hungary or
perhaps France. I asked one cousin if she knew where her father and uncle
were buried, she said "we don't know-one somewhere in Finland, the other
somewhere in Russia.")

Lipprandt writes:
My mother's oldest brother died as a result of mustard gas in the second
battle of Ypres, Belgium, in 1915. No attempt was made to locate his burial
site because of my mother's and her brothers' statements that all information
was "lost." Lost, my foot!

There is a service, based in France, that has records of German-Prussian
soldiers' graves. The site is in German. The service is free, but you will be
sent information/brochures asking for donations to help them upkeep the
research and various projects that they undertake. There is a long wait (mine
took about a year) but it is worth it if you have blanks in your pedigree
chart that involve German soldiers. The Web address of the organization is
http://www.Volksbund.de/

Article previously published by Julia M. Case and Myra Vanderpool Gormley,
CG, Missing Links, Vol. 5, No. 31, 2 August 2000. RootsWeb:
http://www.rootsweb.com/

EMAIL FROM MEMBER QUESTIONS VIENNESE BIRTHS (From: (Giles
Gerken)

Joined the group about three years ago and had only sketchy info. on maternal
ancestors. With help from various members (a lot from Albert Schuch), I now
have complete info from my Grt Grandfather Anton Regl(about 1781) to present
day, including also info on Grt Grt Grandfather George Kapeller. An
interesting item on Kapeller name- a niece of Grt
Grandmother - also named Eliz. Kapeller, born 1825- married 1845 an Antal
Kurtz in Moson County. This info also listed in LDS Family Search by a
descendant one Ladislao Kangyera-Lelis M of Rivera Uruguay. So people from
the area apparently are now scattered over the world. Had a lot of help from
Felix Game also who I contacted over the past month. He clarified much for me
on the name Regl (Austrian version - Regel in North Germany). Only one
question- Grt Grandather Anton supposedly born in Vienna (I am now told by 80
yr old relative I just met) Name said to be from his Mother (illegit).
Question: How would one start to look for such a birth in Vienna without
traveling there. Doesn't appear LDS has any film on such? Thanks again for
all past help.

Answer: Problem with Vienna is the many parishes and the growth of the city.
It is difficult given a particular time frame to determine when the villages
were incorporated or parishes established. I understand that to date, there
is no central index of Viennese births and short of visiting a specific
church, birth (baptism) records are not available. One possible source are
the "domicile registrations" available from the LDS as microfilm numbers in
the 1648500 series (they are alphabetic by family name). Whenever an address
changed or people moved into or out of Vienna (I don't remember when this
started-mid 1800's?), they had to register with the city authorities.

AUSTRIAN NEWSPAPER ARTICLE-STEGERSBACH & NORTHAMPTON PARTNERSHIP
(from Inge Schuch and Klaus Gerger)

Below please find a rough translation of the Burgenlaendische Volks Zeitung
article circulated earlier by Klaus Gerger. Greetings from Vienna, Inge

Sister-city connections renewed daily via the Internet. 25 years after
Stegersbach and Northampton celebrated the twinning of their towns, the new
media have revolutionized the contact between the two sister towns.

The year 2000 marks not only the 25th anniversary of this sister-city
partnership - it also marks the 100th anniversary of the start of a mass
exodus from the province of Burgenland to the state of Pennsylvania, and the
Burgenländische Gemeinschaft has made an effort to honor both events. To
commemorate the fact that Lehigh Valley, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were the
preferred centers of immigration from the Burgenland up to the middle of the
20th century, Dr. Walter Dujmovits, president of the Burgenländische
Gemeinschaft, proclaimed 2000 the "Austrian Year of Pennsylvania" when
visiting Northampton last year. The Burgenland-Americans of today are
third-or fourth-generation Americans, and many of them are descended from
immigrants from the districts of Jennersdorf and Güssing. Many have started
to research their family history, and many have visited the land of their
ancestors. Both in Burgenland and Pennsylvania the young generation is,
meanwhile, using hi-tech tools to stay in touch: the days of the air mail
letter are history; these days it takes a mere click of the mouse to exchange
stories and pictures through the Internet or to chat with one's relatives
overseas.

Caption: Burgenland and American Internet partners meet in Stegersbach.

Also see: