BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 90A dtd November 30, 2000
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:14:56 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 90A
(now issued monthly by )
November 30, 2000

This second section of the 3 section newsletter contains report of a Kukmirn
Village History, International Characters on the Keyboard, Site For Family
Pictures, Meaning of Names-Presseller and an article on Rudersdorf
Kriegskinder (War Children).

KUKMIRN BOOK AVAILABLE (courtesy Vicky Wenninger, )

Member Vicky Wenninger told me she was going to visit the districts of
Güssing and Jennersdorf in southern Burgenland. Since her research villages
(Zahling, Kukmirn, Königsdorf, Eltendorf) are the same or very close to mine,
she asked if there was anything she could do for me. I asked her to check on
the availability of any village histories that I might not have. I'm happy to
report that she was able to secure one from the village of Kukmirn.

Vicky writes:
"I sure wish I could have spent more time with the Pfarrer of the Kukmirn
church but when you are someone's guest you have to go along with what they
want to do. I do not mean to sound that I am complaining I was treated just
like family and really got to see almost all of Burgenland and Styria. I was
even in Hungary and at the border of Slovenia.

I am in touch with Felix Game because he knew Edith Gibiser (Gibiser
Gasthaus, Heiligenkreuz) and he wrote a thank you note for me in German to
Ella and Gerlinde. If you need their new e-mail address, it is:

If I can find the time, I might write that trip report for the BB. I started
to write a diary but got too busy to write everything down. Your Kukmirn book
is on it's way. I've also sent some pictures. You will see Ella and Edith
Gibiser on one. The next is a memorial on the Kukmirn church grounds
dedicated to the immigrants. (ED. Note-I attended the dedication of this
memorial in 1993.) Also, look at how poor Hungary is. That is just over the
border from Burgenland. How sad to see the difference. (end of email)"

The Kukmirn book "Marktgemeinde Kukmirn", edited by Prof. Dr. Walter
Dujmovits, published by LeykamDruck, Graz, copyright 1982, just arrived. It's
a 504 page hardback printed on glossy paper, written in German. There are
over 60 pages of illustrations. I've scanned the book and think it's just
full of material which I'll have to absorb and translate. It will take a
while. Not too much on individual families but lots of early history (about
185 pages). It also includes references to other villages in southern
Burgenland. History of the churches and aristocrats is very good; there were
many changes over the years. It also covers activity during WWII and includes
histories and lists of members of local clubs and organizations like the fire
company, sports clubs, school administration, etc.

Marktgemeinde Kukmirn includes the villages of Neusiedl, Limbach and
Eisenhüttl which are also covered in detail. Vicky tells me that she believes
the village office (Gemeindeamt) has more copies. To determine cost and
availability, I'd suggest writing to(enclose two international reply coupons):

Bürgermeister
Gemeindeamt, Nr. 69
A 7543 Kukmirn
Burgenland
Austria

You'll find more articles and references to Kukmirn in newsletter nos. 11, 48
and 53A, available from the archives.

INTERNATIONAL CHARACTERS (DIACRITICAL MARKS-I. E.THE UMLAUT) ON THE KEYBOARD

Once again we have members who are confused about the diacritical marks used
in German, Hungarian and Croatian. Those most used in German are Ä, Ë, Ö, Ü,
ä, ë, ö, ü. I keep a pad with notations of the "alternate key" plus keypad
numbers that must be used to get these characters. For instance, holding the
alternate key down and entering 0252 will provide a ü-try it. One can also
use the vowel followed by quotes (such as u"). Don't ignore these marks, they
are part of the alphabet of the foreign language.

Fritz Königshofer offers the following in answering a query:

"Regarding your question on the international alphabet and how to produce its
special characters, if you run Windows 98 on your Dell, you can find out the
keystrokes required to produce a special character such as an umlaut by using
the following sequence of clicks: Start | Program | Accessories | System
Tools | Character Maps. Then just point your cursor on the character you
like to know the key sequence for, and left-click it once. The right hand
corner of the box you see will now tell you the keystroke sequence to produce
this character.

I myself do not need a special key sequence, as I use the US International
keyboard layout. This layout can be obtained by the sequence
Start | Settings | Control Panel | Keyboard | Language | Properties, then
selecting United States International instead of United States (as you are
likely to find there as a default). In this keyboard layout, for instance
the "ö" gets produced by pressing the double apostrophe (") followed by o,
etc. If you experiment a bit, you'll easily get the drift. The sharp "s"
gets produced by pressing the right-hand side Alt key together with the key
for s, giving ß. I have a page describing all characters that the
International layout produces, and the way to produce each character. If
you are interested, I'd be happy to fax or send you a copy of this page.

However, I would ask that you first experiment with the layout as per above,
and get a feeling on whether you'd like to give this keyboard layout a try.

You can always return to normal United States layout using the same stated
sequence, but selecting United States as the layout."

SITE FOR FAMILY PICTURES

Nadine Hardin () sends the following:

"I came across this wonderful site that I thought all BB members might enjoy.
It has been around for seven (7) weeks, and is already receiving great
accolades. It is a genealogical site for photos that allow users to use a
hot link to their family tree if they include their url address.
It even allows an area to upload pictures with unidentifiable family members.
And it can be used as a unique cross-reference to ascertain correct
genealogical findings, while adding sparkle to a tree. The best part is the
utility it allows for novices, like myself, who started late in life in
tracing their heritage and who may run "out of time" to learn all the
requirements of program languages to upload family pictures. The best part,
is - it is free and simple to use. Please take a look at

http://www.ancientfaces.com/

and meet my grandmother, Rose Fejes Galgoczi by simply typing in Galgoczi in
the surname box, or try the Benko surname to meet my Farkas grandmother and
some Tschida descendents. Then press my url address to zip to my home page
that displays my family tree on my familytreemaker home page. It is so easy
to use. I truly would like your opinion on
this site."

The site philosophy (cut and pasted from their home page):

AncientFaces- Our Philosophy
AncientFaces is dedicated to connecting families with their legacies. By
storing old photos, documents, family stories, and recipes, we encourage
families to share precious memories that will enliven their traditions and
genealogies. To lose the past is more than a shame, it is truly a crime. The
best way to lose the past is to record only dull and boring
lists of names and dates. Adding a dimension through graphics, journals, and
ancient faces, we bring the past vividly alive and make it interesting to
all....

MEANING OF NAMES

We would all like to know the origin of our names. We've discussed how to
research names in prior newsletters. For those who don't have a clue as to
how to proceed, the following question and answers may provide some
direction. Let me again say that this is a search fraught with error-it's
very unlikely that you'll ever be able to prove how your name originated-the
best you can do is put together some possibilities. Where names have changed
due to migration to countries using different languages (i. e. Croatia to
Hungary to United States), the error window becomes even wider. Nonetheless,
it's an interesting search to undertake and we all should give it a try.

Betty Mische writes:
<< Some time back, a couple years in fact, one of the knowledgeable men of
the BB sent me an answer to an inquiry of mine. Namely, the root of my
paternal grandparents name. They explained the meaning of it. I wonder if you
would be so kind as doing it once more! >>

* Albert Schuch replies:
I recall having speculated about the name Presseller, and I think I suggested
an interpretation based on the words "Presse" (press; wine press) and
"(Z)seller / Söllner" (house owner or lodger with no or little farming land).
But this is just speculation.

* Fritz Königshofer replies:
The best way to find the meaning of a name that otherwise does not have an
obvious explanation (as, e.g., my family name) is to find educated bearers of
the name. They usually know the lore that has accumulated within the family
over the years about the possible origins and meanings of the name.

* G. Berghold replies:
G. F. Jones in his book "German-American Names" gives us some possibilities.
"Seller"-Sell-Sellner-Sellmann, refers to "marsh". "Pres"="Bres" refers to
the city of Breslau (now Wroclaw-in sw Poland). Putting the two together you
get "someone from the marsh near Breslau).

So, ask your relatives, look-up the root words in an ethnic dictionary, look
for the name in books on names (there are many) but try to find an ethnic
one. List all possible spellings and the areas where found.

UNKNOWN VILLAGES-FLORIDSDORF, "VIENNESE MELDEZETTEL"

The BB has done an excellent job of identifying Burgenland village names.
It's one of the best things we've done. If you can't find your village in
"Albert's List" or the "Village List" or "Klaus Gerger's Maps", all available
by hyperlink from the homepage, you have some other possibilities:

* You have a bad spelling
* It no longer exists or is not in the Burgenland
* It's an "Ortsteile" (dependency) of another village
* It's now a district in some larger city (Vienna, Eisenstadt, etc.)
* It's now in Hungary, Slovenia or Slovakia with a different name or it may
be in Lower Austria or Styria or one of the other provinces of Austria.

New member Henry Sinai; ( ); Raanana, Israel. SINAI.
Eisenstadt; Florisdorf (?); Vienna}, sent us Florisdorf. I didn't recognize
it nor was it in any of my lists or books. I thought it might now be a
district of Vienna and queried Albert and Fritz. The answer points to the
availability of some Viennese Meldezettel records which we've mentioned
before.

Albert replies: Floridsdorf became a part of Vienna in 1904, and Vienna's
21st district (of which the old village Floridsdorf is a part) has been named
after it.

Fritz replies: Thanks (Albert) for mentioning (see below) that Floridsdorf
became a district of Vienna only in 1904. It means that the Vienna
Meldezettel (residency records) might contain Floridsdorf only from that time
onwards. In fact, I had been wondering about this question.

Fritz replies: Welcome (Henry Sinai) to the Burgenland Bunch. There is no
question for me that the place you mention in your membership entry is
Floridsdorf, the 21st district of Vienna. Floridsdorf was, I believe, a
working class district where many of the people flocking into Vienna in
search of a new living initially found an abode. The district is located at
the left Bank of the Danube.

If your ancestors lived in Floridsdorf around the turn of the century
and/or until about 1925, there would be a good chance that you would find
their registration record(s) among the "Meldezettel" of Vienna which have
been filmed by LDS. This would give you an idea of how they moved around in
Vienna (in case they did), and also where they were born, unless you already
have this information.

RUDERSDORF KRIEGSKINDER (RUDERSDORF CHILDREN OF THE WAR YEARS)
From: (R F. Unger)

Back in January '98 I received a copy of the Rudersdorf newspaper which
included an article entitled Kriegskinder that caught my attention. It
presented an interesting profile of the life and the activities of the school
children in Rudersdorf, Burgenland after World War II. These were Rudersdorf
children who were born during the period 1939-1942. Thus they were born
during WW2 and experienced that war and the subsequent Russian occupation of
Burgenland during the period when the Allies occupied all of Austria. Fifty
years later, these children held a reunion in Rudersdorf on 18 October 1997.
One of my relatives, Ingrid Unger, was among them. It was interesting to
note that, like Ingrid, most of these children still reside in Rudersdorf.
Following is an article from "Der Bankerlsitzer" covering that reunion
translated from German to English. My wife and I met the editor of Der
Bankerlsitzer, Herr Peter Sattler, during a 1997 visit and we have been
corresponding via email ever since. We are very thankful to Herr Sattler for
allowing the following English translation of his Kriegskinder article for
the enjoyment and enlightenment of the Burgenland Bunch members. (Note: I
received my issue via the Internet <http://members.aon.at/bankerlsitzer/>;.)

War Children - Kriegskinder

Karl Himler, originally from Rudersdorf, who was born during the war [WWII]
and went to school in Rudersdorf in the years after the war, brought the
comrades of his childhood together in the Pfingstl Inn on 18 October 1997 for
a reunion. He planned this from his current home in Germany and it all
worked out. Approximately 50 alumni born from 1939-1942 came. Their
motivations for attending were nostalgia, home-sickness, the memories of
childhood and youth, and the chance to meet with one another again.

The war was indeed over when they went to school 50 years ago, but prosperity
had definitely not yet returned. Clothes and shoes were in short supply,
sausage rolls were seldom seen, TV's and bananas were widely unknown. Water
came from wells and was actually drunk by people, which nowadays is hard to
imagine. In the apartments - which were mostly a kitchen and one room -
usually only one area was heated. Big
families still had there own cozy areas. The memories of ice-cold bedrooms,
of substitute coffee [made from barley or wheat, because coffee beans were
not available or too expensive], and of the [pump?] toilet [ German word
Plumpsklo] are still alive today. The professions of the fathers of the
war-children in Rudersdorf were farmer, factory worker, tailor, shoemaker,
bricklayer, carpenter, hotel host, merchant, baker, and teacher. Everyone
had a reduced income. Some had been claimed by the war [note: I think this
means they did not return, i.e. they were killed or missing].

The goods in the stores, named for the owners Unger, Doppler, Pfingstl,
Eichner and Winter (Hartl), were sold unpackaged. They were counted, weighed,
or measured and packed into newspaper and paper sacks, or poured into
bottles: marmalade, sugar, and axle grease came out of tins; vinegar,
paraffin, and rum came out of casks; leather whips, whip handles, muzzles,
calf and horse ropes, whetstones, and animal straps stood in a particular
corner of the store. Naturally there were various nails, screws, and
fittings for working wood. According to the season, school supplies, plum
compote, or Christmas decorations lay on the display table. Nylons were
unheard of. When they were introduced in 1954, their transparency caused
quite a stir. Those transparent stockings had not been seen up to that time.
The first ballpoint pens also appeared. Tales told by American returnees
were received as wonders, tales that had to do with refrigerators, food from
cans, electric stoves where one didn't have to light a fire, and of shoes
that one discarded instead of repairing.

The elementary school at that time still had an upper grade with teaching by
subject. The teachers for shorter or longer periods were Josef Tausz, Stefan
Dujmovits, Maria Kohl, Theresia Schnecker, Adolf Perl, Otto Roth, Emma Hölzl,
Erich Krutzler and Hermine and Eduard Fröhlich. A pen dipped in ink was used
for writing. Ink was kept in glass (inkwells) in the desk. Other utensils:
The (slate) board with chalk, cloth, and sponge; the wooden box; the oven;
the map; pictures on the wall; the sandbox; stuffed animals and the
(teacher's)staff, later a pointer or meter stick. To eat there was mostly
bread with lard and apples, for better food there was bread with lard
cracklings or ham.

The schoolchildren, who went to the high school (Gymnasium) or the trade
school (Hauptschule) in Fürstenfeld (Styria) after the fourth grade, were
integrated in the village because free time was only spent at home. There was
no vacation in today's sense. Everyone knew everyone in the village. The
Russian occupation forces kept watch on the Lafnitz (the area river) and were
present in public. The English patrolled the far river bank from a barracks
that was later torn down and rebuilt in Neustift bei Güssing. It is still
serving there as a residential building. (Editorial note: Rudersdorf is
located 16 kilometers (about 91/2 miles) west of Güssing and is at the edge
of the border between the Austrian provinces of Burgenland and Styria,
separated there by the Lafnitz River. After WW2, Styria was occupied by the
British and Burgenland by the Russians.)

In Rudersdorf before the war there were 5 cars and 2 tractors; these
disappeared during the war(fuel shortage), however. The car owners before the
war were Josef Eichner (Steyr 12), Michael Fritz (Mercedes), Karl Bösenhofer
(Tatra), Andreas Doppler (Tatra, Horch or Adler) and Romuald Schabhüttl
(Steyr). Tractors were owned by Rudolf Karner Nr. 51 (Steyr) and a
cooperative, whose leader was Franz König Nr 47 (Deutz). (Editorial note:
One of the car owners, Karl Bösenhofer, was one of my relatives. Romuald
Schabhüttl, butcher and Gasthaus Wirt, a cousin of Gerry Berghold on the
Berghold side.)

Adolf Brunner was mayor at that time. (A picture of Adolf was included in
the original text.)

Nature and climate determined the cycle of life. Horse- and ox-carts ruled
the streets. Chickens, ducks, geese and the occasional huge turkey wandered
by the farm house gates. The children were familiar with the wild animals,
birds, and fish around the village.

The bank was only open on Sunday mornings.

The whole village was our playground. Front yards, backyards,
barns,(Halbböden= "Heuboden" or hay loft.), piles of straw, the woods,
meadows, (Lahn) (The Lahn is the local river/stream.) and (Steinriegel =
"Steinriegel" is the name of a certain hill in Rudersdorf.). Boys and girls
played "Ball on the Wall" and "hop-scotch", the older children
"Drive the ball" and the boys played "cops and robbers", "shove the
cross???", and above all, soccer. Soccer was played in cloth pants, the
shirt-tail worn outside your pants. A header with the wet leather ball, often
went in the (Lahn) and was supposed to have been impregnated with bacon
grease; (I'll) always remember that. Skates were made of wood and fit like
the skates on the soles of the goiserer (Austrian mountain shoes). They were
called screw steamers because the skates were screwed on to the shoes with a
clamp. Everyone wore goiserer - winter shoes that were good for bad weather,
work, and sports because they were nailedtogether. The first soccer games
with these shoes played in the deep wetspring grass were spectacular. The
standard leggings were lederhosen - short and tied at the knee, the so-called
- "pump pants". They outlasted many a child, but over time, became shinier
and shinier and ranker and ranker as they became smeared with grease.

School kids at home frequently were put to work. Most of them knew how to
handle cattle. Everyone knew the work of the tailor, the cobbler, the
wheelwright, the carpenter the saddle maker and the blacksmith because, for
different reasons, they had visited their workshops. Working
together to strip quills, to peel fruit, to chuck corn [Kukuruz is the
Austrian/Hungarian term, in German it is Mais], to make hay or to cut and
thresh grain were of interest. All worked together, and one learned each job
better. It was sad that later, in the early 50s, there was not enough work
for everybody in the village because nobody liked to move away from their
friends. Later, when they were almost 60, meeting again was a joy, because
there was so much to talk about.

What happened to all of them?
******
(Note: At the end of the article the names of all the 86 individuals involved
were listed, including 11 who had died. A group picture was also included.
One former student came from Canada, and another from Los Angeles, CA.)

(ED. Note: As described, conditions were pretty bad following WWII and as a
result there was a new wave of emigration in the 1950's, particularly from
the Russian Zone, with Canada receiving a large number of this last wave.
Some of these later returned to the Burgenland. My wife and I shared a church
bus trip with a group from Eltendorf to Styria one fine Saturday in the Fall
of 1993. Everyone on the bus spoke German except one young mother with three
children who also spoke English. Turns out she had emigrated to Canada during
this period and later returned. She said she had been homesick for the
Burgenland, but now she also missed Canada, but home was home "Heimat sind
Heimat." I imagine this is a common returning emigrant dilemma. Following my
last trip to Austria in 1999, I can report that conditions are now similar to
those in the United States. Most traces of "Old Europe" have passed into
History.)

(ED. Note: The above was translated by Bob Unger by using the following. If
you have something you'd like translated, you might wish to check this out.)

Go to BB Home page
Go to BB Internet links
Go to Translation team & click =
http://www.genealogienetz.de/gene/misc/translation.html