BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 92B dtd Jan. 31, 2001
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:23:11 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 92B
(now issued monthly by
January 31, 2001
(all rights reserved)

* WE MUST HAVE NAME, OLD ADDRESS AND NEW ADDRESS FOR EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGES!

This third section of the 3 section newsletter contains:

* Emigration As A Military Bride
* URL Changes (large list)
* Member Changes (19 new members)

EMIGRATION AS A MILITARY BRIDE (from Susann Piccinino)

ED. NOTE: Burgenland emigration to the United States can be divided into
three major periods, prior to 1890, the great "Auswanderung" 1890-1922, and
the period following 1922 (when quota and immigration laws went into effect.
Some later emigrants entered through refugee and political asylum visas as
well as marriage to US citizens). Most of our research has involved the first
two groups. We have had very little correspondence concerning the third. Of
special interest is the war bride situation. Susann Piccinino
( )writes:

<<My Grandmother, Anna Von Gott, born in 1900 to Maria Baierl and Johann Von
Gott, was orphaned in 1904 at the Orphanage Kloster Neuburg. Anna Von Gott
married Joseph Wanderer from Breitenbrunn, Burgenland in 1929. My mother
Rosalia Wanderer was born September 28, 1933. Rosalia Wanderer married Carlo
Piccinino an American soldier around 1950 or 1951 and came to the USA.
Anything you have or that you can direct me to regarding my family please let
me know and put me on your list for newsletters.>>

My reply: Breitenbrunn (Hungarian name Fertöszeleskut) is now in the district
of Eisenstadt (pre 1921 in the district of Ödenburg, Sopron Megye, Hungary).
It has its own church and records from 1828-1921 are available from the LDS
(see our archives on how to do this).

Your case is interesting in that you're the first case of a military marriage
emigration that we've been made aware of in over 600 members. The orphanage
situation is also interesting. I'd like to do an article on this. Could you
expand what you've written? I'd like to include it in a future newsletter. We
could also send it to Austria for inclusion in the Burgenlandische
Gemeinschaft Newsletter. They'd love to have such a story and it could result
in some contacts from relations. Be sure to contact Albert Schuch as
explained in our Invitation Letter (I'm copying him). G. Berghold, BB

Susann replies: I received only a little bit more information regarding the
military immigration of my mother Rosalia Wanderer and her sister
Josephine...Thank you for the help and the interest in my story. I am looking
forward to continuing my research at your wonderful web site.

UPDATE:
My Grandmother, Anna Von Gott Schuh, was born in 1900 to Maria Baierl and
Johann Von Gott Schuh, in Korneuburg, Nieder Oesterreich. Maria and Johann
died in a flu epidemic. Anna and her sister Rosalia were orphaned and an
elderly aunt took them in for a short time, but they were eventually sent to
the Orphanage; Kloster Neuburg run by Catholic Nuns in 1904.

Rosalia Von Gott Schuh was married to a farmer from Hausdorf. They had a
winery which was passed onto their children. The winery is still run by a
grandson, Werner.

Anna Von Gott Schuh was sent off to be a nanny and house keeper for the
postmaster of Niederleis, Andreas Halzl and his wife Maria.

Andreas Halzl arranged for her to be married to Joseph Wanderer from the
village Breitenbrunn, Burgenland. Joseph was widowed with 4 children and Anna
brought him 1000 schillings as a dowry.

The first child of Anna Von Gott Schuh, Josephine Wanderer, was born on
January 17 1929. My mother Rosalia Wanderer was born September 28, 1933. They
also had a son named Franz (birth date unknown).

Josephine Wanderer married an American Soldier Robert MacKie and migrated to
America. They boarded a train to Livorno Italy and from there boarded a
military ship on January 17, 1953 to America. They had 6 children all of who
I am in contact with. My Aunt Jo lives only about one hundred miles from me
at Lake of the Ozark Missouri. I am trying to get family history from her.

Rosalia Wanderer married Carlo Piccinino an American soldier around 1950 or
1951 and she came to the USA also. I believe that she came before her sister
Josephine did. Rosalia Wanderer died in 1988 and never spoke of her heritage
to me. Anything you have or that you can direct me to regarding my family
above please let me know.

BURGENLAND BUNCH INTERNET LINKS - ADDITIONS, REVISIONS 1/31/2001
(from Internet/URL Editor Anna Tanczos Kresh)

BURGENLAND BUNCH MEMBERS' HOME PAGES
o Huber, Jim <http://jimhubersr.com>; - St. Francis, MN; Researching Huber,
Tschida, Ziniel, Zinniel, Galpie, Nolz

BURGENLAND INTERNET LINKS
o BB Surnames pages
<http://home.triad.rr.com/steichen/BurgenlandBunch/surnames.html>;

o Burgenländische Gemeinschaft <http://go.to/BG>; - news about what is
happening in Burgenland and to Burgenländers all over the world; English
version in progress via the efforts of BB members Klaus Gerger, Albert Schuch
and Inge Schuch

o Gerger House Lists
<http://members.1012surfnet.at/gerger/HouseList/HouseLists2.htm>; - Burgenland
village house lists by BB member Klaus Gerger; search utility

GENEALOGY RESEARCH LINKS (OTHER)
o Our Lost Family <http://maxpages.com/ourlostfamily/>; - Link, links, links

GENEALOGY SOFTWARE LINKS
o Family Treasures <http://www.famtech.com/ftv4/index.html>;

HUNGARIAN INTERNET LINKS
o Ungarndeutsche <http://www.ungarndeutsche.de>; - Site provides much
information on German settlement in Hungary; very little pertains to Western
Hungary or the Burgenland region, but the Donau-Swabian migration is well
covered; German or Hungarian.

o Hungarian National Tourist Office, NY <http://www.gotohungary.com/>; -
Hungarian Tourism website (Margaret Kaiser)

RADIO AND MUSIC SOURCES
o Heimatsender Radio Herz <http://www.radioherz.com/index.html>; - German
Broadcast, Inc., Ontario, Canada; click on "On Air" and listen while you work
(Hannelore Billowitz)

o Musica <http://www.musica.at/>; - Music software, shareware, freeware, MP3
downloads

URL CHANGES (revised links/descriptions)
o Andert, Gene <http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~andert/>; - researching ANDERT,
UNGER, MUTH, FLEISCHHACKER in Pamhagen, Austria. Migration to South Bend, IN
1897. USGenWeb Project Coordinator for Kosciusko County, Indiana

o Gerger Bezirk Maps
<http://members.1012surfnet.at/gerger/Map/VillageMaps.htm>; - by BB member
Klaus Gerger; maps of various Burgenland districts with village names in 3
languages; householder lists; some files are downloadable [description change
only]

o Bogardi's Hungarian Genealogy Links
<http://www.bogardi.com/gen/index.shtml>; - Janos Bogardi's links to Hungarian
history, maps, dictionaries, emigration, translation services, sample
letters, and more; for list of villages by county (megye) based on Hungarian
national census of 1880 see 1882 Gazetteer of Hungary
<http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g104.shtml>; [moved house lists to Gerger section]

SOURCE OF AUSTRIAN/BURGENLAND FLAGS (Fahnen)
~~~ Fahnen-Gärtner <http://www.fahnen-gaertner.com/>; [new address]

o Cousins & Cousinhood <http://www.arduini.net/tools/cousins.htm>; - good
explanation of relationship charts and the meaning of "twice removed", etc.
[new address]

o Gensite <http://www.genealogy.org/>; - continually-updated report of the
most-frequently visited genealogical sites on the web; usually contains links
of use to BB researchers [changing name to Genealogy.org]

o Helms Genealogy Toolbox <http://www.genealogytoolbox.com/>; - Genealogy Site
Finder; over 70,000 links

--- LDS Research Helps
<http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/rg/frameset_rhelps.asp>; - very
helpful links, sorted by state or country; forms, research outlines,
letter-writing guides, word lists; all sortable by place, title, subject,
document type [changes in address, description]

o Treasure Maps <http://www.amberskyline.com/treasuremaps/>; - not a map site;
includes a tutorial on the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah,
the world's largest genealogy collection [new address]

o FeldGrau - German Armed Forces 1919-1945 <http://www.feldgrau.com/>; -
Addresses for information and research; list of contacts for information on
WWII German soldiers; MIAs and KIAs; WWII Military research, including SS
Divisions [new address, improved name and description; formerly titled WWII
Military Research]

o Genealogy.com - software <http://www.genealogy.com/softmain.html>; - links
to several leading genealogy software sources [replaces Parsons Technology
link]

o Leo English-German Dictionary <http://dict.leo.org/?lang=en>; - enter either
English or German word; extensive list of idioms and phrases [new address,
description]

o New English-German Dictionary
<http://www.iee.et.tu-dresden.de/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/wernerr/search.sh>; -
excellent; returns list of words, phrases, idioms; use online or download as
shareware [revised description]

o Expedia Maps <http://maps.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=mmfn>; - Enter
village/city and country name anywhere in the world to display a map of the
area selected; includes zoom capability; driving directions limited to US
only [new address]

o IBGS - Interlink Bookshop and Genealogical Services
<http://www.interlinkbookshop.com/index.html>; - (for purchase) European road
atlases, maps, including Austro-Hungarian Empire historical maps [new link;
formerly Genealogy Unlimited, Inc., which is no longer available]

o Emigration - Ships
<http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8745/emigrat/emi_ship.html>;
o Emigration - Ports
<http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8745/emigrat/emi_port.html>; - info on
ports of Hamburg and Bremen [name change; formerly German Ports]

o Hamburg Passenger Lists
<http://www.genealogy.net/gene/misc/emig/ham_pass.html>; - list of microfilms
of Hamburg passenger lists (1850-1934) available for loan from the LDS-FHC
[new address]

o KinShips <http://www.kinshipsprints.com/>; - matted color prints of
passenger ships, usually in color (for a fee - no endorsement implied) [new
address]

o Musik der Regionen <http://www.steirisches-volksliedwerk.at/ton.htm>; - Folk
music from the various regions of Austria; these CDs were recorded with a
mobile sound studio at home, in local pubs and restaurants, in mountain farms
[new address]

o Musikverein Trachtenkapelle Mischendorf
<http://listen.to/mvtk-mischendorf/>; [new address]

o Spielmusik Schönfeldinger - Bernstein <http://www.lotusrecords.at>; - Lotus
Records (Salzburg); fine Burgenland folk music; click on CD-Catalogue, search
for Spielmusik, listen to music clip online [site ok, but music clip no
longer available]

o RST-Records <http://www.sra.at/comps/197/7365.htm>; - Burgenland music
records and CDs [new address]

o AltaVista Search Engine <http://www.altavista.com/>; - search engine; many
international links have option for language translation [new address]

o Intersearch Österreich <http://www.intersearch.at/>; [new address]

URLS DROPPED - LINKS BROKEN/CHANGED - INFORM URL EDITOR IF YOU KNOW ALTERNATE
URL]
o Postleitzahlen Österreichs <http://www.bank-styria.com/seek01.htm>; -
interactive searches for WWW links, email addresses, telephone numbers,
Austrian postal codes [link broken]

o SSDI at Genealogy.com
<http://www.genealogy.com/genealogy/gen_ssdisearch.html>; - this Social
Security Death Index lists last known residence (based on recorded zip code;
errors could possibly occur) [no longer a good site for SSDI; other SSDI
sites are available; general Genealogy.com URL is being retained]
o SSDI at UFT <http://www.uftree.com/UFT/Nav/familytracersearch.html>; -
Ultimate Family Tree; another location for retrieval of U.S. Social Security
Death Index data [no longer a good site for SSDI; other SSDI sites are
available; general Ultimate Family Tree URL is being retained]

--- LDS German Research Outline
<http://www.familysearch.org/sg/Germany.html>; - some very helpful links
[still available, but merged into LDS Research Helps]

o Parsons Technology <http://www.parsonstech.com/genealogy/index.html>; -
Family Tree Maker, Family Origins, Archives [URL dropped; see Genealogy.com
software site]

o Hung-Eng/Eng-Hung dictionary <http://hal9000.elte.hu/szotar.html>; - more
than 150,000 records; (DOS-based, comprehensive, easy to use; 51 MB; can
download) [link broken]

o Rivendel Dictionaries and Translators
<http://rivendel.com/~ric/resources/dictionary.html>; - Multi-language
dictionaries and translators; links to many free online translation services;
links to dictionary and language course sites [link broken]

o Genealogy Unlimited, Inc <http://www.itsnet.com/~genun/maps.html>; - (for
purchase) European road atlases, maps, including Austro-Hungarian Empire
historical maps (This site now contains the following notice: "Genealogy
Unlimited has been sold to Interlink Bookshop and Genealogical Services IBGS,
Victoria, BC. Canada http://www.interlinkbookshop.com/index.html... After
March of 2000, IBGS will continue selling the maps and atlases.") [Genealogy
Unlimited site no longer available]

o German Ports <http://home.snafu.de/garling/emi_port.html>; - info on ports
of Hamburg and Bremen [see Emigration - Ports]

o Searchlinks in Alle Welt <http://oehwww.uibk.ac.at/wsearch.htm>; - Austrian
and world-wide search links [link broken]

MEMBER CHANGES
* NOTE-WE WILL NO LONGER PUBLISH ADDRESSES OF MEMBERS WHOSE MAIL IS RETURNED.
THESE ADDRESSES WILL BE REMOVED FROM NEWSLETTER DISTRIBUTION LISTS.

NEW MEMBERS

Annie Bigelow, ( )Durham NC; researching
LUKITSCH(Grieselstein, Henndorf, Jennersdorf) emigrated to Allentown, PA
1924. GOLLES (Grieselstein) married to Lukitsch and emigrated to Allentown,
PA 1928 on ship "Westfalia." HIRCZY, no further info on this name.

Erwin A.Bishop; ( ). Baltimore,MD.
BISCHOFF(Bischof)--IWANTSCH---Olbendorf and Stegersbach. Settled in
Baltimore, Maryland 1903.

Nancy Colombo, ( ); Bayport, MN. GANGL, TSCHIDA, OPITZ,
HAYDER, JANN, KOUTS, GARTNER, KLEIN; from Illmitz.

William Dampf; ( ); Santa Ana , CA. TAUBER, PINT, Neumarkt an
der Raab. They were married in Neumarkt an der Raab or St. Martin an der
Raab. They came to Pittsburgh around 1906. Also Janos DAMPF and Anna
KANCSLER from the village of Bakonykoppany , Hungary the county of Veszprem.
They were married in Hungary.They also settled in Pittsburgh , PA.

Frank and Mariette Deutsch; ( ) Cedarburg, Wisconsin. JOST
(YOST). Königsdorf. Emigrated 1920 and earlier.

Oswald Held; ( ), Graz, Austria. SCHNEDL, St.
Georgen, HÖLD, Eisenstadt. Anna Maria Podensteinin u.U aus St. Georgen, born
ca.1750

Theresa (Haisan) Kimak; ( ); Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada. Father: MATHIAS HAJSZAN - Güttenbach, (district of Güssing). Father's
Mother's Maiden name: JANDRISITS.

Paul M. Lehner; ( ); Dallas, TX. LEHNER, LENDWAY,
STEINHOVER. Tadten Settled: South Bend, IN; St. Paul, MN.

Alois Mandl ();Sun City West, AZ; MANDL (Jennersdorf);
BRÜCKLER (Grieselstein); settled in Milwaukee,WI, 1914.

Pauline Menyhart, ( ); South Bend, IN. MERSITS, KANCZ,
GREGORITS, BLAZOVITS, FIRTL. Bezirk Oberpullendorf-villages of
Grossmutschen, Kroatisch Minihof, Kleinmutschen (Pervany, Pervane) and
Kophaza, Hungary.

Ann Knolmar Pierce; ( ); Encinitas, CA. KRAXNER,
WAGNER. Unterbildein (Alsobeled), Güssing district. Anna Kraxner, born about
1881-1884 time period) in Unterbildein to John Kraxner and Rosina Wagner.
Anna Kraxner came to NYC 1903.

Dan Pittman; ( ); Springfield, IL. HANIFL, Rust. Emigrated
1881 to LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

Albert F Rose, Sr.; ( ); Wilmington, DE. WAPPEL, FISCHER.
Grodnau (Mariasdorf, district of Oberwart). Settled in St. Louis, MO.

Jim Schuster ( ); Mahtomedi, MN. SCHUSTER, WEINZETL
from Apetlon. Emigrated 1903. Family lived in Stearns County, MN, then
St.Paul, MN.

Evelyn Seegraves; ( ); Palm Bay, FL. MANDL, BRUNNER,
FOYIAN, Grieselstein (Jennersdorf). Mandls settled in New Britain Conn.

This thread: