BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 94 dtd Mat. 31, 2001
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:49:36 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 94
(now issued monthly by )
March 31, 2001
(all rights reserved)

Look for answers to your questions by using our archives at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autbur/bbnlarchx.htm
(down for maintenance Feb. 28-Mar. 23-now again available)

"our ancestors were all under a cloud and all passed through the sea"
-1 Corinthinans 10:1

THE NEWSLETTER NO LONGER LISTS NEW MEMBERS
OR MEMBER & URL CHANGES. SEE THE HOMEPAGE LISTS.
NEW MEMBERS (15 THIS MO.) ARE SHOWN AT THE END OF THE MEMBERSHIP LIST.
=20
NOTE TO RECIPIENTS. If you don't want to receive these Burgenland Bunch=20
newsletters, email with message "remove". Send address and=
=20
listing changes to the same place. Add your full name to email. To join, see=
=20
our homepage. We can't help with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and=
=20
articles are appreciated. Our staff and web site addresses are listed at the=
=20
end of newsletter section "C". Introductions, notes and articles without a=20
by-line are written by the editor and reflect his views.=20

This first section of the 3 section newsletter contains:

* Search For Long Lost Dabelli Father
* New BB Search For Relatives
* Fourth Annual Minneapolis BB Picnic
* Project Schlaining (Stadtschlaining Reunion)
* Member Offers Free Austrian Book Service
* Questions
* Kipfel Recipe

SEARCH FOR DABELLI (TABELLI) FATHER

Judy Smith( ) writes:

My mother, Frieda Smith, has asked me to reply to your recent e-mail to her=20=
=20
(). She is 85 and just learning to use the computer. Below=
=20
is a letter that she wrote:

In the spring of 1985, Frances (Dabelli) Adams and Rosemary (Dabelli) Quinn=20
and Joe and Margaret Samer visited Margaret's relatives in Austria. They=20
stayed in Litzelsdorf. While there, someone told them about the Tabelli=20
Family. They visited the Tabelli family where they met: Aunt Maria Tabelli -=
=20
married to now deceased Karl Tabelli, uncle to Frieda, Frances and Rosemary.=
=20
They also met: Karl and first cousins Ohtmar Tabelli and family including=20
Sonja and Elizabeth.

In September of 1985, Frieda and Fred Smith were invited to stay with the=20
Tabelli family in Litzelsdorf. Maria Tabelli took us to the cemetery where=20
there were two Tabellis buried. Karl Tabelli, uncle, and son Godfrey, killed=
=20
in Crete during World
War II. We then went to the church where we discovered my mother's , Francis=
ka
Gumhalter, christening record, date born and the entry of going to Buffalo,=20
New York and marrying Godfrey Tabelli. Maria then drove us around the villag=
e=20
where she showed us the Franciska Gumhalter home at an unknown house number=
.=20
Next she showed us a house where Karl Tabelli, Godfrey Tabelli (Hans Tabelli=
)=20
were born, house #262.

When went back to the Tabelli home, Frieda mentioned "now you have relatives=
=20
in America", Maria's reply was "and in Italy, Switzerland and France."

Franciska Gumhalter and Godfrey Tabelli married in Buffalo, New York where=20
they had 4 children, Frances, Frieda, Godfrey and Rosemary. In October of=20
1918, Franciska was taken ill by the Spanish Influenza and died at the peak=20
of the illness. The whereabouts of the four children is unknown from the=20
death of their mother until listed in the 1920 Federal Census. Two of the=20
girls, Frances and Frieda, were "Boarders" of St Vincent Technical School an=
d=20
Asylum, corner of Elliott and Main Streets, Buffalo, NY. The youngest sister=
,=20
Rosemary, was adopted by another family and the boy became a ward of the=20
Department of the Poor. In March of 1922, both girls were taken to a farm in=
=20
East Eden to become residents of a farm run by Barbara Schwanz.

The question remains, what happened to their father (Godfrey Tabelli)?=20
Searches of
Cemeteries and obituaries have been unsuccessful. Frieda Smith

Reply from BB: Perhaps we can get some answers concerning Godfrey Tabelli as=
=20
well as some more ancestors. G. Berghold, Editor, BB News

Original Email to BB Editor and Reply:

FandFSmith writes:
<< Regarding TABELLI - we have visited Litzelsdorf and the Tabelli family.=20
The name Tabelli was found in the village church records. When the family=20
moved to Buffalo, NY, the T was changed to D, then becoming Dabelli. <<=20
GUMHALTER, SAMER and TABELLI (DABELLI) settled in Buffalo, NY 1910-15 >>

Reply: Village identity is everything. Yes, when I checked Litzelsdorf, I di=
d=20
find two Tabelli families still living at Nr. 139, also many Samer and=20
Gumhalter families. Litzelsdorf (Hungarian name L=F6d=F6s) is in the distric=
t of=20
Oberwart not far from Kemeten (record office for Litzelsdorf). That Tabelli=20
name may have originated in Switzerland or northern Italy as we have some=20
other names of people from those regions who migrated to the Burgenland in=20
the early 1800's. The first emigrant from Litzelsdorf was a Nikolaus Samer=20
who went to Buffalo in 1901. I know nothing more about him.

Litzelsdorf has its own church (built 1764, rebuilt 1823, large cemetery),=20
the records 1828-1896 are available as microfilm from the LDS as film no.=20
0700685. Civil records 1896-1921 are also available (village of Kemeten) as=20
no. 0700313-320. See our archives if you don't already know how to use LDS=20
records.=20

NEW BB SEARCH FOR RELATIVES (from Albert Schuch)

Up to now, BB-members who wanted to find their relatives in Burgenland could
try to do so by placing a free inquiry in the "Oberwarter Zeitung", a local
weekly. Due to the rather small circulation of this paper only a few of the
published inquiries have been successful. We are now able to offer additiona=
l=20
or alternative free publishing of inquiries (photos can be included) in the=20
following newspapers:

* Neue Kronen Zeitung (Burgenland Edition): Largest Austrian daily newspaper=
.=20
The Burgenland edition includes a few pages of regional news, which is where=
=20
your inquiry would be printed.

* Bezirksblatt G=FCssing / Jennersdorf: This is a weekly newspaper financed=20=
by
advertisments. It is sent to every household in the districts of G=FCssing a=
nd
Jennersdorf for free.

* Bezirksblatt Oberpullendorf: Same as the above, distributed in=20
Oberpullendorf district.

If you want to have your inquiry published in one of these papers, please=20
contact Albert Schuch at .

FOURTH ANNUAL MINNEAPOLIS BB PICNIC (from Susan Peters)

Mark your calendars! Hap Anderson has made reservations for the picnic at=20
Wabun Park, adjacent to Minnehaha Park, in Minneapolis, Minnesota for the=20
Midwest chapter of the Burgenland Bunch. Same place as last year. Both side=
s=20
of the pavilion have been reserved. Please feel free to invite any other=20
family and friends you may wish to. If you'd like to receive more=20
information about the picnic, just drop a quick email to me at <