BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 95A dtd April 30, 2001
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:49:55 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 95A
(now issued monthly by )
April 30, 2001
(all rights reserved)

This second section of the 4 section newsletter contains:=20
* An Unforgettable Visit To The Burgenland
* Ethnic Card Game?

AN UNFORGETTABLE VISIT TO THE BURGENLAND (from Bob Loeffler)
Continued from Newsletter No. 94A dtd March 31, 2001.

This visit took place between June 28, 1939 and October 19,1939, spanning=20
several weeks before and after the start of World War II. In this section,=20
we conclude the diary of ROSE MARIE DULD (mother of Bob Loeffler)written=20
during her visit to Kukmirn, Burgenland, the village of her birth. Her fathe=
r=20
was MATHIAS DULD, and her mother was JULIA nee PUMMER.

(diary continues)
Aug 23rd: Today we went to LACKNER'S to say goodbye. I had a lot of fun=20
with the TWINS and they wanted to go to America with me. HANNA was there.=20
Also SAMUEL. Everyone was lovely and good. I spent the next day also=20
seeing more neighbors to say goodbye. I still had lots to do. Tomorrow at=20
5:30, I will leave by bus to F=FCrstenfeld. Mother is busy packing for me.=20
She packed food and all the neighbors came to say goodbye. Also LAURA and=20
JOSEPH.

Aug 25th: This morning I got up at 3AM. One hour before I had to leave=20
Mother, we had what we thought to be our last breakfast together. Mother=20
and SAMUEL went with me to F=FCrstenfeld, and Laura went with me to Vienna.=20
ROSI and KARL also were at the train station. I left at quarter to ten from=20
F=FCrstenfeld and was in Vienna at 3:30PM. We went to HANNA's sister-in-law'=
s=20
home at 4:45PM. They were very friendly, and put us up for the night.

Aug 26th: Today I woke up at 6AM. I slept very well. HANNA, ELLY and I went=20
to the agency USA Line. They told me that I cannot sail on the ship=20
President Roosevelt. I have to wait for an answer from Hamburg on Monday,=20
to see if I can get booked on a German ship. I am very tired and=20
disgusted. I was sorry I didn't stay with my family in New York, but I=20
also wanted to see my dear Mother. I went back to HANNA's sister-in-law=20
garden house. I am going crazy trying to get back home. Every one is=20
scared that the war will start.

Aug 27th: Got up at 8AM and had breakfast. ELLY's husband came and went to=20
Heiligenkreuz. HANNA stayed with me until the next day. I will probably=20
find out then if I can go home and when my ship will leave. I wish only=20
one thing - to be home with my family and celebrate. I'm already sick.=20
Maybe tomorrow. Now I must go back to my Mother. But with God's help I=20
will get back home soon. The people here are very friendly and they want=20
to go for a walk, but I didn't want to go. Hope with God's help everything=20
will be OK.=20

Aug 28th: Today I went to my agent again for the latest information. They=20
said I CANNOT GO TO THE USA AND I MUST GO BACK TO MY MOTHER. THEY WILL LET M=
E=20
KNOW WHEN I AM AT MY MOTHER'S HOUSE IF I CAN GO HOME TO THE USA. It was hard=
=20
to get back to Mother's house because all the trains were used for the=20
military. But today HANNA and I were able to get on a train to=20
F=FCrstenfeld, but had to change trains three times. My luggage was very =20
heavy. I am hoping I will get home very soon to my dear family. I'm sick but=
=20
there is nothing I can do.

Aug 29th: Today HANNA and I are at RESI HAFNER'S in F=FCrstenfeld. We arrive=
d=20
from Vienna last night at 11PM. Everyone was waiting for me but I didn't=20
think I would make it. Later my Mother came. I was sorry that she was very=20
upset about my situation. We both went home to wait for the time for me to=20
go to the USA. SAMUEL was here. He had a very bad cold and could hardly=20
speak. My only wish was to go home soon if it's God's will.

Aug 30th: Today I should have been on the ship leaving Hamburg. Instead, I=20
am sitting here writing about my misery. Mother says some day everything=20
will be OK. She just can't give up hope. Mother is cooking dinner but I am=20
not hungry. SAMUEL and the rest can't sleep very well. I am still waiting=20
to hear from the agent.

Aug 31st: This morning I got up very early and made breakfast because=20
Mother is feeling dizzy. Mother stayed in bed until noon and felt better.=20
Today I went shopping for Mother. We got ration cards for food because all=20
the rich people were buying everything up, and the poor people had nothing=20
to eat. So, everyone got ration cards. Rich or poor now get the same.=20
Today the people have more hope, and I hope there will not be a war so I=20
can go home. If I can't go home, I don't know what I will do here.

Sep 1st: This morning at 3 AM the war started. All the people are so=20
disgusted. They don't want to work. Many men went away (drafted-?).=20
Everybody hopes the war won't take too long.

Sep 2nd: Today it rained. Many airplanes are flying around. The Hungarian=20
border is closed and we are afraid they will bomb us. I AM A PRISONER HERE=20
AND I AM SICK. I'm praying that I can go home with God's help.

Sep 3rd: It was still raining. Mother cooked dinner because it's Sunday.=20
After dinner, she laid down for a while. She is still in very good shape=20
for her age. I don't know what I would do without her.=20

Sep 4th: Today I got up early. The French and the English declared war on=20
Germany and it looks pretty bad. I know God will do the right thing.=20

Sep 5th: Today I got some milk for Mother. She cannot sleep very well=20
because she worries a lot. I wish everything would come to a fast end so I=20
could go home to my family. This is my great wish.

Sep 6th: Today I went again for milk for Mother. I did a little work for=20
Mother. I was also worried. Today some neighbor boys went somewhere=20
(drafted?) and now it's very quiet in the village. I just hope I won't get=20
sick. I'm so lonely. I'm so far away from my family. I hope God will take=20
good care of=20
my family, and that I can soon get back to them.

Sep 7th: Today Mother and I spent all day with SAMUEL. The time went by=20
very quickly while visiting them. I miss my friends. The next day I went=20
to the village to buy things for Mother so she has it for the future.=20
After, we stayed home all day.

Sep 9th: I did some cleaning for Mother. I miss the warm weather we have in=20
America. We listened to the radio again. Today is the day I should have=20
arrived in New York. Celia would have been on the pier to pick me up. And=20
I'm not there. I wish I can get home soon with God's help.=20

Sep 10th: Sunday and we stayed home to wait for RESIE SCHOBER. We had a lot=20
of pears and plums and she promised to come and pick some up. But she=20
didn't come because she couldn't get on the autoban because of the=20
military traffic. So mother and I went to MR FUCHS. While there, we=20
listened to the news on the radio. Everything looks worse than before=20
because the French are now fighting in the war also. I'm so tired. I want=20
to go home to my family.

Sep 11th: Today I went to my brother to help him harvest potatoes. I'm=20
helping him because I don't have anything else to do while I wait for news=20
of my ship. The next day I received a letter from my family from America.=20
I went to the village because it's such a beautiful day. On the radio=20
today they, the Germans, said "good things" about the war. I hope it won't=20
take too long anymore.

Sep 13th: I wrote to Cilly. I feel sick because I miss my children. Today=20
and tomorrow, I will go to FUCHS to listen to the radio and get the latest=20
news of the war. Everything is still the same.

Sep 15th: Today is my birthday. Mother made apple strudel for us. We went=20
to _____?______ and it rained hard. I got all wet. In the evening I went=20
back to FUCHS to listen to the radio.

Sep 16th: Today I went to SAMUEL to help him with the potato harvesting.=20
Now they are finished with everything. Today I tried to find out if I=20
could go through Holland to New York. They said in a few days I will find=20
out. Mother takes little naps every day so she keeps up her strength. I=20
listened to the radio again and the German's said "it looks pretty good=20
and that they are making progress."

Sep17th: It is Sunday, and I don't feel very well. I have a chest cold. I=20
did drink some Chamomile tea. I feel a little better now, but I'm very=20
tired from all my worries. I hope to hear in a few days if I can get on a=20
ship out of Holland, with the line Antworpen. Today is a beautiful Sunday.=20
I didn't go to church because I am still not well enough. Later we went to=20
FUCHS again, and drank 1/2 liter of wine. We listened to the radio again.=20
I want to go home to my family.=20

Sep 18th: I am sick today, have a lot of pain, and cannot move very well.=20
I'm not doing any work today. I'm listening to the radio again, while=20
Mother made plum cake. I don't know what I would do without Mother. The=20
next day it was raining again. I listened to the radio again. HITLER spoke=20
for almost 1 1/2 hours.

Sep 20th: Today was not nice and was still raining. The farmers didn't like=20
it. I went to FUCHS to listen to the radio again. I still don't feel well=20
and have pain in my chest. I pray to God to get better soon. I got an=20
answer from the Holland Line, and I wrote right back to them.

Sep 21st: I did some shopping for Mother. We have to conserve soap, but I=20
did buy some. Also I bought other groceries. I went to listen to the radio=20
again hoping the news is good and that I can soon go home. I don't want to=20
think about the whole thing or I'll make myself sick again.

Sep 22nd: Today I went to Samuel to help with the potato harvesting. I=20
ruined my shoes. I feel very sick. I have stomach problems and headaches.=20
I'm lonely for my family. I hope it will be very soon that I'll be going=20
home.=20

Sep 23rd: Today is Saturday. I did some housework for Mother so the time=20
went fast. I'm going to FUCHS to hear the radio again. No news about the=20
war. No news from England. I want to go home to my husband and children in=20
New York.=20

Sep 24th: I don't feel like doing anything. Looks like rain again. The=20
village looked like everyone died because it is so quiet. In my mind I am=20
with my children in New York. I'm always thinking what this war might do=20
especially to my son Robert.=20

Sep 25th: Today it's very cold. I'm almost frozen. I went to FUCHS and the=20
radio says they are still fighting. I didn't hear from the Holland Line=20
and I am very unhappy about it and don't know what to do. Joseph had a=20
stroke. He was a soldier on the Hungarian border. They had a beautiful=20
funeral, but I didn't go because it made me sick. Today I also got a=20
letter from the cruise line. Now I have a little more hope that I can soon=20
go home, through Holland or Italy. In a few days I have to go to Vienna to=20
find out what will happen.

Sep 26th: Today I went to F=FCrstenfeld and brought a plum cake to RESIE=20
HAFNER. I went by foot and was very tired. It rained very hard so I caught=20
a cold again. The next day I went to HAFNER's. They also want to go=20
through Italy. This way I won't be alone. The Allies are having meetings=20
for ending the war. But if it doesn't happen, the war will accelerate.

Sep 28th: Today I went to Rudersdorf to MRS WORLLITSCH (WOLITISCH-?). She=20
is also from New York with her two children. She will go by way of Italy.=20
She's very scared.

Sep 29th: I did some gardening for Mother. Mother went to the village=20
shopping. She came with me to listen to the radio. I hope the end is near=20
or I will get sick from worrying. I cannot write to anyone.=20

Sep 30th: Today the Allies will decide about the war. I will stay home all=20
day and wait for the letter from the cruise line. I will listen to the=20
radio again, and hopefully I will hear something good.

Oct 1st: In the afternoon I went to F=FCrstenfeld to RESIE HAFNER and we ate=
=20
plum cake and other foods. Then we went to K=F6enigsdorf and from there by=20
car to F=FCrstenfeld. MR HAFNER was very nice to me. He tried to cheer me up=
=20
and told a lot of jokes.=20

Oct 2nd: I went by train to Vienna to find out about ships leaving Italy=20
bound for New York. While in Vienna we stayed at KOREYCIK (?). They told=20
me I had a chance to go to America. I sent a telegraph for more money for=20
the tickets because the ocean crossing takes longer from Italy. I am very=20
happy about going home to my family. I hope tomorrow that everything will=20
be finished. Then I will go to Mother for a few days until I must leave.=20
Right now I am sitting by MRS KOREYCIK in Vienna listening to the radio.=20
She is very friendly.

Oct 3rd: Today I had to run around and finally got the tickets for the=20
Ship (SS George Washington.) But I can not go right now because I must first=
=20
get permission from the New York Ship Line, and they wanted to know if=20
I already paid the money for the ticket. =20

Oct 4th: I stayed in Vienna all week. I wrote a card to Mother but she=20
didn't receive it until Friday. Mother was very worried about me. Mother=20
was baking. RESIE and ____?____ both helped her. Now I regret that I=20
can't stay longer. In the evening all the neighbors came to say goodbye.=20
Everyone was so friendly and kind. Mother and I talked all night. Mother=20
prayed all night for me. The next day we got up at 4 o'clock. We went to=20
FRANZ for a short while. I kissed them all goodbye, and my heart was=20
breaking because I will probably never see them again.=20

(No entries for Oct 6-7)

Oct 8th: This morning we got up at 7AM. It broke my Mother's heart. I made=20
the goodbye very short, gave her a goodbye kiss, and left very fast. My=20
heart was breaking. It made me cry too because I don't think I will see=20
her anymore. We only have one Mother in this world. It was very hard for=20
SAMUEL and family too. RESIE cries a lot and very hard. JULIE went with us
to F=FCrstenfeld. We went to HAFNER's and ate there for the last time. RESIE=
=20
drove me to Graz. In Graz I had to go to the police so they could check=20
all the papers. Then I went to the Italian consulate for a visa. I had to=20
stay overnight because we couldn't get to the consulate on time.

(No entry for Oct 9)

Oct 10th: I went to the travel office, and the agent there was so friendly.=20
He helped me because I couldn't get to the ship on Oct 13th, so he phoned=20
Vienna to straighten everything out. They wanted to know AGAIN if the=20
money was paid.

Oct 11th: Today I left Graz at 9:30 AM and went to Rome, Italy. From there=20
to Naples and there I got another fright. This agent hadn't been told that=20
everything for the trip was paid.

(No entry for Oct 12)

Oct 13th: I didn't sleep all night, but finally found out that I could=20
board the ship in Naples. The ship was scheduled to depart from Naples at=20
12:30 today. I arrived at, and boarded the ship with 3 hours to spare. The=20
next day we arrived at Algiers. The ship was stopped there at 10:10AM to=20
10PM because the French took all the German men from 18 years old to 50=20
years old off the ship. The women could stay on the ship but not the men.

Oct 15th: Today at 2PM we passed Gibraltar. On the left side was Morocco=20
and Africa. On the right side was the Spanish coast. It was very=20
interesting. On the ship I made a friend that was on the ship coming over.=20
Her name was KATRINA MEYERS. She is very nice and full of jokes. It is now=20
4:45PM and we are finally on the Atlantic Ocean. The ship goes very fast.=20
I am almost dizzy and seasick. With God's help, we will be in New York the=20
21st of Oct. I can hardly wait.

Oct 16th: Today I am seasick. I took a cup of coffee in the morning but it=20
didn't stay down. The waves are so high the ship was going up and down. My=20
friend MRS MEYERS was also very sick. Most of the people were lying down=20
in their cabins. There were 225 people on the ship, minus 18 Germans taken=20
off and arrested by the French.

Oct 17th: Today I am a little better. Today we passed the Azores, which are=20
Portugese Islands. At night we had a storm. There was a lot of noise=20
during night and it was very cold. We almost fell out of bed, so they gave=20
us life jackets. We stayed in bed two days. I think I am deaf and dizzy=20
from all the noise. But in 3 1/2 days we will be, with God's help, in New=20
York. We are just coming to the Gulf of Biscay. They say there are always=20
a lot of storms there.=20

Oct 18th: I got up late today and had a little breakfast. The ship is=20
shaking and it's cold, even in the living room. It will soon be dinner but=20
I don't have an appetite. The weather is storming.

Oct 19th: Today the weathe

This thread: