BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 95B dtd April 30, 2001
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:50:03 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 95B
(now issued monthly by )
April 30, 2001
(all rights reserved)

This third section of the 4 section newsletter contains:=20

* A Post World War II Immigrant-Sopron-Germany-Canada-USA
* Vienna - Graz Research
* First Immigrants
* Myrtle Beach, SC Austrian Restaurant-Source of Strudel

POST WORLD WAR II IMMIGRANT (From: (Donna Steiger)

Hello, my name is Julius Karl Steiger, I was born in Oedenburg (Sopron) on=20
January 29, 1944. My family fled to west Germany ahead of the Russian advanc=
e=20
towards the end of the war. We settled in Derttingen (village), near Werthei=
m=20
am Main. After awhile we moved to Wertheim and there I attended the Gymnasiu=
m.

On April 30, 1957 my family immigrated to Canada, we settled in Kelowna,=20
British Columbia where I grew up. My parents still live there. In 1978 I=20
moved to the USA and lived in several western States. I have lived in Omaha,=
=20
Nebraska since 1989.

My wife is quite an enthusiast when it comes to Genealogy . She started on m=
y=20
ancestors recently. I have quite a bit of information already, but it will=20
take awhile to get things organized. I have recently received a two page=20
photocopy of a letter (a sort of declaration),- that my father sent me. It i=
s=20
written by hand and dated from the middle 17th century. It describes the=20
Knighthood of Anton Steiger, who was a Knight of the Blue Earth. He also had=
=20
a castle, I believe it was the Amstein Burg, but I am not certain of this ?

I have managed to only translate a few lines from this letter because it is=20
written in the Old Style German writing. I can make out several lines fairly=
=20
easily but then most of it is just too hard to decipher for me. I can make=20
out many names that apparently were guests of Anton Steiger that are listed=20
in History books and were the top of Society and Royalty at that time.=20

My grandmother who fled with us from Oedenburg died in Germany and she told=20
me about Oedenburg and very often about the Burgenland and its beauty, the=20
grapes, the wines etc. She missed her home and the area terribly and died=20
heartbroken never having seen it again. Her wish was to return just once, bu=
t=20
she just wasn't lucky enough and she passed away. I was a young boy then, an=
d=20
she told me often about the estate that the Russians just took from us, and=20
how we all had to flee for our lives and so forth. I will send you some=20
material about the past, what I know and what I was told by my grandparents=20
and my parents.

I have been thinking about a holiday and would enjoy the land of my birth of=
=20
that I am certain. Anyway what information if any can you or your readers=20
help me with on this issue of the Knighthood of the Blue Earth of my ancesto=
r=20
and any information on the Castle or estate if it wasn't bombed out ???
Julius Karl Steiger, Bellevue, NE 68123

Fritz K=F6nigshofer replies: Dear Julius (and Donna),

Gerry Berghold asked me whether I would have an idea for pointing you to=20
information on the noble family Anton Steiger von Amstein, your possible=20
ancestors. Let me first of all say that you are welcome to send me a copy o=
f=20
the two pages you have. I'll be happy to read them for you and let you know=
=20
what they say (if I am able to decipher them).

There is a small hamlet in the mountains west of Weiz (and north of Graz)=20
called Amstein. However, it is so small that I wonder if it could be the=20
place after which the family was named. I am copying Charles Wardell on thi=
s=20
message who is not only a member of the Burgenland Bunch, but runs the GenWe=
b=20
query boards for Austria and knows some excellent links to Internet material=
=20
on Austrian nobility. Perhaps he might be able to identify something about=20
the family. Further, if you ever have an opportunity, try to get your hands=
=20
on the Siebmacher Wappenbuch (book of the coats of arms) for Austria, and th=
e=20
general index of all Siebmacher volumes. I'll put this lookup on my list fo=
r=20
my next visit at the Hungarian Library in Budapest (though I do not know whe=
n=20
that may be).

I'll check the Kempelen on Hungarian nobility at my local LDS Library whethe=
r=20
the Steigers were also registered as nobility in Hungary (since your=20
ancestors were from Oedenburg/Sopron) and let you know soon in case I find=20
anything.

When I searched the web, I found that a Hermann Steiger Edler von Amstein wa=
s=20
an explorer of the Hermann's Cave near Kirchberg am Wechsel (which is in=20
Lower Austria, near the border to Styria, and not too far to the west from=20
the Burgenland and Sopron (about 30 miles at most), though the landscape in=20
between is very hilly. The website states that Hermann Steiger von Amstein=20
explored this meanwhile famous cave in 1843 when he was the administrator of=
=20
the nearby castle of Feistritz (whose owner was a Freiherr von Dietrich). =20
Please check the website yourself at=20
http://www.showcaves.com/english/at/showcaves/Hermanns.html , and (in German=
)=20
at http://www.cave.at/hermannshoehle/hherf.html , where you will even find a=
=20
picture of Hermann Steiger.

VIENNA - GRAZ RESEARCH (Unger, K=F6nigshofer, Schuch)

(ED. Note: The Burgenland after all is a small place and population spillove=
r=20
to nearby communities is a fact of life. It's impossible to restrict our=20
research to the confines of today's borders. Quite often we receive queries=20
about Vienna or Graz. Unfortunately, we do not have those excellent LDS=20
church and civil microfilm records for these places, but all is not lost.=20
There are other records. If your search takes you to these cities, read on.)