BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB Newsletter No. 95 Addendum
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:17:55 EDT

MY SERVER AGAIN TRUNCATED PORTIONS OF EACH NEWSLETTER SECTION-BELOW ARE THE=20
MISSING PORTIONS.=20

BB News No. 95

For this ancestral couple of yours, I found the following births in the same=
=20
records:

May 1, 1885, at Kleinm=FCrbisch 45. Birth of Joannes [John]. Parents: Joan=
nes=20
Tomas, domunculus, from Kleinm=FCrbisch, and Agnes Kroboth, from Kleinm=FCrb=
isch.=20
Godparents: Christian Joszt, domunculus, and Agnes Szommer.

October 17, 1886, at Kleinm=FCrbisch 46. Birth of Josephus [this is your=20
direct ancestor]. Parents: Joannes Tam=E1s, domunculus, and Agnes Kroboth,=
of=20
Kleinm=FCrbisch. Godparents: Josephus Nikischer and Agnes H=FCtter, both s=
ingle=20
and rom.-cath.

September 5, 1888, at Kleinm=FCrbisch 46. Birth of Hedwig. Parents: Joanne=
s=20
Tom=E1s, domunculus, and Agnes Kroboth. Godparents: Christian Jost,=20
domunculus, and Agnes Szommer.

November 16, 1892, at Kleinm=FCrbisch 46. Birth of Edmund. Parents: Joanne=
s=20
Tam=E1s, domunculus, and Agnes Kroboth. Godparents: Joannes Marksz [Marx],=
=20
domunculus, and Anna Gr=F6ller.

The church records end in September 1895. For other births, one would need=20
to review the film with the civil records of G=FCssing, or of G=FCssing envi=
rons,=20
which start in October 1895.

It seems clear that the Kroboth family lived at Kleinm=FCrbisch no. 45, beca=
use=20
that's where John and Agnes married and initially lived, before they moved=20
to, or built, house no. 46. At house no. 45, there was a marriage on Feb.=20
17, 1889, of a Joseph Kroboth, domunculus, age 24, perhaps a brother of=20
Agnes, with Anna Pfeifer, 22, single, of Grossm=FCrbisch.

The records also list a couple Paul Kroboth, a cobbler, married with Anna=20
Jost. Interestingly, the records state that Paul Kroboth originally hailed=20
from Szent Groth [Gerersdorf], while Anna Jost came from B=E9kafalu(Krottend=
orf=20
bei G=FCssing].

The records also show a couple Aloysius Tam=E1s, perhaps a close relative of=
=20
John, married with Maria Kurta from Borosg=F6d=F6r [Inzenhof], living at hou=
se=20
no. 40 in Kleinm=FCrbisch.

In my relatively quick review, I believe I also found the records of the=20
births of your ancestors John Thomas and Agnes nee Kroboth. The entries are=20
as follows [again from the St. Nikolaus parish]:

October 24, 1860, at Kleinm=FCrbisch 45. Birth of Agnes, daughter of Michae=
l=20
Kroboth and Maria nee Niklesz. Godparents: Paulus Thomann (?) and Barbara=20
Hamedl.

December 23, 1861 at Kleinm=FCrbisch 40. Birth of Joannes, son of Joannes=20
Tam=E1s and Anna nee Sommer. Godparents: Paul Hamedl and Julianna Sommer.

Anne, this is all I found for you and I am not sure whether I'll have the=20
time to look for more information. However, I know you have ordered the fil=
m=20
yourself, and you'll find much more when you take the time to check the film=
=20
more closely. By the way, there are other Burgenland Bunch members who=20
search for the names of Sommer (including one in Kleinm=FCrbisch) and Nikles=
.=20
Just go to the BB member list and do a search for the two names.

Newsletter continues as no. 95A.

BB News No. 95A

Oct 19th: Today the weather is nice but the ship is still shaking. I feel=20
like I'm drunk and dizzy. My friend is still sick in bed. She is so=20
anxious to get home she can't wait. It is 6PM and the storm is a little=20
calmer. Only one more day and we will be home.=20

Dear God, help us to get home safely!

Footnote:
Ironically the ship my Mother came home on was the same ship that I, a=20
combat infantryman with the First Division, The Big Red One of Omaha Beach=20
fame, was transported to England with about 5,000 fellow soldiers. Because=20
of its speed and ability to outrun any German U-boats, the ship made a=20
ten-day solo run zig-zaging across the North Atlantic. That was in the=20
middle of a stormy winter, after the U.S.A. entered the war. I was berthed=20
near the bow of the ship, and that was like riding an elevator up and down=20
a 20 story building continuously for ten days. In a way, I was looking=20
forward to possibly being able to see my relatives in the Burgenland. But=20
that was cut short after our troops captured the Ludendorf railroad bridge=20
over the Rhine River at Remagen. I was wounded on St Patrick's Day, 1945,=20
in that Remagen Bridgehead, and was eventually shipped back to the good=20
old U.S.A. on a U.S.Navy Hospital Ship. We arrived at Staten Island's=20
Halloran General Hospital on my birthday.=20

Next to my mother's return to the U.S.A., this was the greatest birthday=20
present I ever received! Bob Loeffler.

ETHNIC CARD GAME?

(Ed. Note: On one trip to the Burgenland, rain set in and the wife and I=20
decided to play some Rummy so I went to a local tobacco shop in Moschendorf=20=
=20
and bought a deck of cards. When we got back to our gasthaus and opened the=20
deck, it was like no other deck we ever saw with less than 52 cards (28?). W=
e=20
left them at the gasthaus. Maybe Zsiros? If you go to Austria you may want t=
o=20
bring your own pack of 52 cards. Can someone explain?)

Gus Gyaki ( ) sends the following:=20

Hello! In researching for my husband's ancestors, we found a deck of cards=20
that his cousin remembers playing but has forgotten the rules to the game. =20
We wonder if anyone in the BB would remember a card game called ZSIROS. We=20
would appreciate hearing from anyone that may know this game. Also would=20
like to know if you can still buy this special deck of cards. Thanks for any=
=20
help and thanks also for the Newsletters.=20

Newsletter continues as no. 95B.=20

BB News No. 95B

Robert Schmidt () writes:=20
1870 and 1880, the following left St. Andr=E4 and settled in McGregor IA in=20
1874:

Josef Schmidt b.1811
Theresia Bacher Schmidt b.1838
Susie Schmidt b.1853
Barbara Schmidt b. 1862
Josef Schmidt Jr. b.1863
Lorenz Schmidt b.1870
Theresia Schmidt b.1872

The sources of this information were LDS MF 0700880/81 and Germans to Americ=
a=20
vol.31

Heidi Raab-Laning writes:

My ancestor, Ladislaus RAAB (born in NECKENMARKT/NYEK in 1824 to Michael RAA=
B=20
and Klara ECKER. Ladislaus was involved in some measure in the Revolution o=
f=20
1848 in Hungary--he sided with the Hungarians. By some family accounts, he=20
left the country in early 1857 because he was not happy with the Austrian=20
political situation at the time. He married Maria HUBER (born 1836 in=20
KROISBACH/FERTORAKOS and died in 1927 in Torrence, California) on January 30=
,=20
1853, in KROISBACH (today FERTORAKOS) and the couple, with some of her=20
family, immigrated to this country in early 1857. =20

I am not sure the exact date or how the couple ended up in MENASHA,=20
WISCONSIN, but by May 10, 1858, they had their first son, Joseph RAAB, in=20
MENASHA. I do know that by trade Ladislaus RAAB was listed as a mason, but=20
when he lived in WISCONSIN he was listed as a farmer. Family lore states h=
e=20
was also a soldier in the old country. In October, 1861, Ladislaus enlisted=20
in the Union Army; he was mustered into service January 30, 1862, a private=20
in Co. G, 14th WI Infantry. He saw action at Shiloh, Pittsburg Landing,=20
Iuka, and both battles of Corinth, Mississippi. He was killed in action on=20
October 3, 1862, by a shot to the head defending Battery Robinette during th=
e=20
Second Battle of Corinth and he is buried in an unknown grave at the Nationa=
l=20
Cemetery in Corinth. A marker with his name is present at the cemetery. He=
=20
was the father of three sons, Joseph, Peter (born June 3, 1860) and John, my=
=20
g-grandfather, born two weeks after his father was killed, October 17, 1862.=
=20
All were born in Wisconsin.

Maria HUBER RAAB married Joseph GAIRINGER (1822-1889), who was from Bavaria,=
=20
on July 14, 1863. They had several children. The couple moved to AUBURNDALE=
,=20
WISCONSIN, where they raised the family. She lived with son John and his=20
family for some years. In the 1910s, Maria moved west with some of her=20
daughters to California, where she lived until her death in 1927. She was 9=
0=20
years old.

Much of this information was compiled from a copy of the widow's pension=20
application information received from the National Archives in Washington=20
D.C. The source of the immigration information came from a copy of=20
Ladislaus RAAB's Reisepass obtained from relatives related through the=20
HUBER-GAIRINGER line. Heidi M. RAAB

Hap Anderson forwards the following:

John and Rosalia (Fasching) Sherman

John Sherman was born January 7, 1854 in Deutsch-Gerisdorf, Austria. He came=
=20
to America with his parents, Martin and Catherine (Kappel) Sherman in 1857=20
when he was 3 years old. As a young child, during the Indian uprising, he an=
d=20
his mother had to bury their belongings on the home place and walk to Winona=
=20
to be with relatives for protection while his father and brother were away=20
Fighting in the Civil War. (His brother died near Fort Rucker, Alabama on=20
June 25, 1865). In 1870 he became a naturalized citizen. On January 27, 1875=
=20
he married Rosalia Fasching (born December 20, 1858). Rosalia had come to=20
America from Deutsch-
Gerisdorf, Austria with her parents at age 10. John and Rosalie took over th=
e=20
homestead that had been settled by his parents until it was sold to their so=
n=20
Joseph in 1909. At that time they moved in with their son Louis who had=20
purchased a neighboring farm. Shortly after that Louis married Victoria Whit=
e=20
on May 26, 1914. John and Rosalia stayed with them until their new house in=
=20
Winsted was completed. John died on October 16,1917 after being ill for 12=20
years. Rosalia died on May 13, 1938. Twelve children were born to this=20
marriage:
Martin, Frank, Louis, William T., Joseph, Agnes, Augusta, John, Mary Louise,=
=20
Anna and a son William who died in infancy. Louis was born on March 24, 189=
2=20
and died on April 8, 1965. Victoria, his wife was born on October 7, 1894 an=
d=20
died on October 8, 1985. They had seven children: Mildred (Mrs. Maurice=20
Waldoch), Philip, Arthur, Eugene, Florence (Mrs. George Rannow), Dolores and=
=20
Marietta (Mrs. Marvin Neumann). (Page 263 from Winona Church History supplie=
d=20
by Mariette Neumann.)

MYRTLE BEACH AUSTRIAN RESTAURANT (from Ed. Tantsits)

A few weeks ago my wife & I went to Myrtle Beach SC for some R&R. While ther=
e=20
we found a very nice little Austrian restaurant in a small shopping mall. An=
y=20
BB member going to Myrtle Beach- this is a must place to have lunch.

The restaurant Name - Cafe old Vienna small shopping center called - =20
Village Square Shopping Center address - 3901 North Kings Highway=20
(Business 17 highway)

As said before it is small and the food is excellent. The owners are Michael=
&
Petra Jerabek. Mike is from Vienna and works the tables with a young=20
waitress from Switzerland. Petra is from Burgenland and works in the kitchen=
.=20
I spoke my limited Burgenland dialect and Mike knew immediately that my=20
heritage was from there.

The restaurant is only open from 8AM - 4PM Tuesday thru Saturday. The menu i=
s=20
not large but varied (American, Austrian, & Hungarian) with daily specials.=20
When I was there the special was cabbage strudel and apple strudel for=20
dessert. I recommend eating at the Cafe for everyone when in Myrtle Beach SC=
.

Newsletter continues as no. 95C

BB Bews No. 95C

* They do however answer general inquiries about the whereabouts of certain=20
records. These inquiries should become obsolete in the near future, as an=20
inventory of the church records stored at the Diocesan archives (currently i=
n=20
the process of revision) will be made available from the website of the=20
diocese later this year. Dr. Zelfel said that we can also use this inventory=
=20
for the BB homepage once it is available.

* They also answer inquiries about the plausibility of a search theory.=20
Example: If someone searches for a Huber family in a Hungarian town named=20
Keresztur, Dr. Zelfel is able to tell whether it is likely to be the=20
Keresztur in today's Burgenland or not.

* They will answer "legal" inquiries. Example: A descendant of Burgenland=20
emigrants needs legal evidence to tell the authorities in his country that=20
his name is identical with a different spelling on a different document
(e.g. Jurasits / Yurasits).

* Inquiries to parishes: The priests cannot be ordered by the diocese to=20
answer inquiries. It is their decision whether they do so or not. Some do no=
t=20
have the time because they have to serve two or more parishes (currently=20
almost 40 percent of all Burgenland parishes are vacant!), some may simply=20
have no interest in answering inquiries.

* Does it make sense to send inquiries to parishes? - Yes, but do not be=20
surprised if you do not receive an answer. If you wish to make a donation in=
=20
exchange for the answer to your inquiry, do not send it with your first=20
letter (as this one may not be answered!).

* I asked Dr. Zelfel if he could recommend a professional researcher - one=20
who is a regular visitor to his archives with whom he is familiar. On this h=
e=20
answered that Mr. Felix Gundacker (Vienna) is a very reliable.(See our=20
archives)

* What are the alternatives to hiring a professional researcher? You can com=
e=20
yourself or try to get one of your relatives in Burgenland to do this=20
research for you (they should be able to read the old script; Dr. Zelfel's=20
assistance is available for certain difficult records).

* When you visit the archives, be sure to make an appointment beforehand. If=
=20
you want to talk to Dr. Zelfel himself, keep in mind that he is not always=20
there, as he is also responsible for the Diocesan Museum.

Dr. Zelfel also gave me a copy of detailed guidelines for users of the=20
diocesan archives which he has just written (2 pages, dated 17 April 2001).=20=
I=20
will send a translation as soon as possible.

BURGENL=C4NDISCHE GEMEINSCHAFT (BG) GLEANINGS

Dr. Walter Dujmovits, president and editor of this world-wide Burgenland=20
newsletter, is now providing space for English language articles, supplied b=
y=20
our staff. The current issue (Mar.-April 2001) includes an edited version of=
=20
Gerry Stifter's great trip report. Future issues will continue this courtesy=
=20
and I've written four new articles for this purpose. This is in addition to=20
the English language versions of their web site, being provided by our Klaus=
=20
Gerger and Inge Schuch. We hope this will help bridge the language barrier.

This issue features:
*A tribute to Burgenland's 80th birthday. Created from portions of Hungary i=
n=20
1921, the last 40 years have seen much improvement in the life of the=20
province. Dr. Dujmovits closes his feature article with the words: "Our=20
Province now has enough bread (sustenance) for its children. It is no longer=
=20
necessary for them to emigrate." A historic, and for us Auswanderer=20
descendants, a very nostalgic moment. The end of the Burgenland Migration-th=
e=20
end of our beginning. A full page supplements the anniversary article and=20
includes the pictures and best wishes of Landeshauptmann (Governor) Hans=20
Niessl, Landesr=E4tin (Provincial Councilor) Verena Dunst and=20
Landeshauptmann-Stv. (Deputy Governor) Franz Steindl.=20

* An invitation to the annual BG Picnic is scheduled for July 8, 2001 at=20
Moschendorf. I'll be attending for the first time along with our Austrian BB=
=20
staff. Any of our members who may be in Europe at that time should consider=20
joining us. We hope to be able to be seated as a group. More on this later.

*An article concerning the seven Burgenland district books "Burgenland im=20
Wandel der Zeit". I can't say enough about the excellence of these district=20
books featuring history, description and pictures of each village including=20
aerial views in color. I own all seven books and I use them every day. Even=20
if you know no German-buy the one for your district (see Albert's list if=20
you're not sure of the district). You can then show your grandchildren=20
pictures of their ancestor's village. Books are available at ATS 396 (about=20
$30) each plus post or all seven for ATS 1980, from Kersner & Peternell, 850=
2=20
Lannach, Kapellenweg 14, Austria. Fax 0043/3136/81 901. The first book was=20
issued in 1995.=20

* First immigrant series is now at 1855 and lists first emigrants from 9=20
villages.

Contact the BG at to become a member ($15/year) and=20
receive the bi-monthly newsletter, a periodic touch of the Heimat. Annual=20
membership fees are now due for those who are already members.

End Of Newsletter

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF=20
Coordinator & Editor Newsletter>=20
(Gerald J. Berghold; Winche