BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 97 dtd June 30, 2001
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:55:00 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 97
(issued monthly by )
June 30, 2001
(all rights reserved)

*** THERE WILL BE NO NEWSLETTER FOR JULY 31, 2001 ***

*** THE BB OFFICE WILL BE CLOSED JULY 2 TO JULY 20-PLEASE SEND NO EMAIL ***

ARE YOU USING OUR WEBSITE SHORTCUT? http://go.to/burgenland

A NEW SECTION HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE BB WEBSITE- "EISENSTADT DIOCESAN
ARCHIVES" CONTAINS A MESSAGE FROM DR. HANS PETER ZELFEL, HEAD OF ARCHIVES.
HELPFUL RESEARCH HINTS AND HOW THE CATHOLIC ARCHIVES, LIBRARY AND MUSEUM MAY
BE USED-THIS IS AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION.

TO RECIPIENTS. If you don't want to receive these newsletters, email
with message "remove". ("Cancel" will cancel membership,
homepage listings and mail.) Send address and listing changes to the same
place. Add your full name to email. To join, see our homepage. We can't help
with non-Burgenland family history. Comments and articles are appreciated.
Our staff and web site addresses are listed at the end of newsletter section
"C". Introductions, notes and articles without a by-line are written by the
editor and reflect his views.

This first section of the four section newsletter includes:
* BB HONORED BY GOVERNMENT OF LAND BURGENLAND
* Trip Itinerary-BB Editor To Visit Burgenland
* First Immigrants
* Burgenländers To Turkey
* Village Historian - Mönchhof
* Burgenland To Croatia To America
* Burgenland Military Regiment?

BB HONORED BY GOVERNMENT OF LAND BURGENLAND

For those not aware of the good news, Burgenland Landeshauptmann (Governor)
Niessl has notified me, that at a meeting of the Burgenland Provincial
Government on June 12, 2001, I was awarded the "Ehrenzeichen des Landes
Burgenland" (Honorary Award of the State of Burgenland); the presentation to
take place July 8 at Moschendorf, Burgenland. Dr. Walter Dujmovits has also
informed me that at the same meeting, the Burgenländische Gemeinschaft will
award me an honorary membership in that organization. My wife and I will be
traveling to Austria July 2-16 to receive these awards. Our itinerary is
published below. Albert Schuch, Klaus Gerger and hopefully many other
Austrian BB members will also be present.

I am, of course, most appreciative and deeply honored by both of these
awards, which are being granted in appreciation of our joint efforts in
fostering the advancement of Burgenland family history and culture. Upon
embarking on this venture almost five years ago, I had no thoughts of any
such recognition.

I want you all to realize that while these honors are being extended to me,
in my name and in my capacity as founder and coordinator of the Burgenland
Bunch, our staff of contributing editors also share in them as do all of you.
Without your voluntary cooperation, interest and effort, our organization
would not have been possible. My grateful thanks to all of you and I will be
thinking of you as I receive these honors.

With deep appreciation for your past efforts and with hopes that such will
continue in the future, I congratulate you all. Gerry

Gerald J. (Gerry) Berghold
Co-ordinator Burgenland Bunch
Editor Burgenland Bunch News

TRIP ITINERARY - YOUR BB EDITOR AGAIN VISITS BURGENLAND
My wife and I will be visiting Burgenland in July. We have a full schedule,
but we'd be happy to meet with any BB members and friends who may be there at
the same time. We would especially like any BB members who are available to
attend the Burgenländische Gemeinschaft Picnic in Moschendorf on July 8.
Below is our itinerary.

ITINERARY (GERRY & MOLLY BERGHOLD)
(To Austria July 2 and return July 16).

Tuesday July 3. Arrive Vienna- Schwechat, 9:10AM. Leave for Eisenstadt.

**In Eisenstadt Area**
Tuesday-July 3: (Hotel Burgenland)
Wednesday -July 4: -visit Catholic Archives & Other
Thursday-July 5: - visit Landesmuseum & Other

**In Güssing Area**
Friday-July 6:
· AM-Leave Eisenstadt for Hotel-Pension Krutzler in Heiligenbrunn
· AM-Visit Klein Petersdorf · PM- Güssing appointments
Saturday-July 7 full day of appointments
Sunday-July 8: AM-Inzenhoff-St. Emerich's, PM-BG picnic (14:00). Moschendorf

Monday-July 9:**DAY TRIP TO HUNGARY**
Tuesday-July 10
· Visit Güssing Cloister , Cloister Library, Auswanderer museum.
· Visit Heiligenkreuz Church.
Wednesday July 11-Thursday July 12
· Visit Peter Sattler & cousins in Rudersdorf and Güssing
· Visit cousins in Poppendorf and Heiligenkreuz (July 11 or 12)
· Visit Sorger home in Rosenberg -pictures (July 11 or 12)
Friday July 13
· Visit Castle Lockenhaus
· Visit Inzenhoff, Kleinmürbisch, Eltendorf, Poppendorf
. Visit site of Battle of Szt. Gotthard (Mogersdorf)
Saturday-July 14-visit Styrian-Burgenland border villages
Sunday July15 -return to Schwechat)-airport hotel
Monday July 16- leave on Flt. 513, Austrian Airlines 11:40 AM

FIRST IMMIGRANTS

My last request stirred up a few members.

0 From: (Michael Kirchmeier)

John Thuringer (1812-1881) & wife Theresa Bacher (1820-1903) came to America
in 1880 from the village of St. Andrä. Came through New York and spent
the first winter in Clayton County, Iowa; then entered the Dakota
Territory through the Port of Entry of Yankton. Homesteaded in Douglas
and Hutchinson Counties. With them came their grown children: Andreas,
Theresa, George, John and Franz. They were among numerous Hungarian
families that settled in that area. Other Surnames: Pollreisz, Wunder,
Sommer, Loos, Klubestein, Rausher, Schmidt, Eberdorfer, et al. Source:
Obituaries & Naturalization Papers.

Joseph Paul Pollreisz & Family came to the U.S. in 1875 from St. Andrä and
settled in Iowa near Macgregor. Then went to the Dakota Territory in 1880.
They came on the ship: "Pomerania" out of the port of Hamburg, Germany.
Source: "Germans to America"

For the next time period 1880-1890

John Kirchmeier & wife Theresa Pollreiss came to the U.S. in 1893 from the
village of Podersdorf (Patfalu). They left the port of Hamburg on the ship:
"Grimm" which picked up passengers in Antwerp, Belgium before it sailed for
Quebec & Montreal Canada. They came with their children : Anna, Joseph,
Ludvig (Pollreiss), John and Balthasar. They entered the U.S. through the
port of Detroit, Michigan, then traveled through by train to St. Paul,
Minnesota, before going on to Webster, South Dakota. Source: Citizenship
Papers & passenger List from the Canadian Archives.

0 From Tom Steichen: (Steichen)

My great grandparents and three children:
- Joseph George Weiss, born Halbturn (Féltorony)
- Theresia Halbauer, born Wallern (Valla)
- Josephus (Joseph John) Weiss, born Wittmannshof
- Maria (Mary M) Weiss, born Albértkázmérpuszta (Hungary)
- Franciscus (Frank F) Weiss, born Halbturn (Féltorony)

Joseph came to Stearns Co, MN in 1888. Theresa and children followed in 1889.
(My grandmother from this line, Barbara, was born in Stearns Co, MN in 1891.)
Source: claims made on census records and known dates and places of birth for
the
children.

O From Dan Pittman ()

between 1880 and 1890, my ancestors were Gregor HANIFL (b. October 29,
1840 d. June 6, 1919) and Anne Marie nee HANIFL (b. September 12, 1838
d. October 30, 1925) They were from the village of Rust. Gregor was a
butcher by trade. He was the son of Mathais HANIFL and Rosalie DENHOFF.
Maria was the daughter of Karl HANIFL. Gregor had one sister, Rosalia
who married Joseph KROSS on January 17, 1864.

Gregor and Maria HANIFL emmigrated to America May, 1881 with their four
sons: Louis, Joseph, Alex, and Frank Xavier. They settled LaCrosse,
Wisconsin and started a butcher shop. We have many wonderful family
stories and photos of our family here in America. But we know very
little about the HANIFL family before 1881.

From: (Robert Hayes)

My great grandfather Paul Perlinger was born in Sankt Johann, Moson
megye (now Janossomorja, Hungary) in 1870. He emigrated to the United
States in 1888 via Hamburg, and entered the U.S. at Baltimore, and
eventually settled near Omaha, Nebraska. He became an American citizen
in 1917, at the outbreak of WW 1, when he was 47. My mother relates that
he and his sons were disturbed by the fact that the U.S. was at war with their
homeland; they didn't understand why. He died in 1958, survived by nine
children
and many grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I do not believe he was anywhere near the first to leave Sankt Johann, a
fairly sizable town. In fact, his paternal uncle, Johann Perlinger,
emigrated from Sankt Johann to Minnesota before this, though I'm not sure
exactly when. Johann kept returning to Sankt Johann to fetch wives back to
the U.S., seeing as how he was widowed twice and married three times, all
women from Sankt Johann.

With regard to cultural identity as you discussed in the current BB
newsletter, my mother says that the Perlingers always have said that they
came from Austria-Hungary, which would seem to be literally and politically
correct for the time period in which they left. They were neither Hungarians
nor Austrians, but clearly they were Germanic and from the Burgenland. We
have no idea where in Germany or Austria the Perlingers may have been prior
to migrating into the Burgenland, the family name first shows up in the Sankt
Johann parish records in the mid to late 1700's. We are very likely related
to the many Perlingers in present-day Wallern. Those Perlingers are clearly
Austrian today, though they are descended from a Johann Perlinger who
originally went from Sankt Johann to Wallern in 1803.

BURGENLÄNDERS TO TURKEY?
Mary Eckert ( writes:

My father was born in Neuberg and my mother in Mischendorf. My son, Stephen,
recently visited Turkey for two weeks. He told me that he saw at least three
young men who were dead-ringers for my son Joseph. I read in the BB
Newsletter 96 your comments on our ancestors being carried off to the Ottoman
Empire. So....?

VILLAGE HISTORIAN (Mönchhof- From: (Phyllis Cunningham)

Phyllis writes:
I took note of your upcoming trip to Burgenland in the last Newsletter. I can
give you the name and e-mail address of a Historian in Mönchhof. His name is
John Sittinger and when I was in Mönchhof last October, he helped me
translate my Grandfathers birth certificate, which is written in Hungarian.
He wrote and published a book on the history of Mönchhof. I have a copy,
although it is not written in English and I don't speak German. It also has
lists of family names. He was very helpful in locating my ancestors' farmland
and took us to the location, where I filmed and video taped. It was very
exciting for me. If you would like to contact him, I have his home address
and also an e-mail address he uses, (if it is still in use). Let me know if I
can be of help.

BURGENLAND TO CROATIA TO AMERICA (from TonySchedl : ) CC:

Tony Schedl writes:
My grandfather Steffan Schedl was from Oberpullendorf or Oberloisdorf.
Emmigrated to Ulanjik, Croatia about the turn of the century. I would like
to know what relatives are still living in the original town in Burgenland he
emigrated from. We left Ulanjik in November 19, 1944, I was two years old,
but would like to make contact with any relatives in Burgenland. My
grandfather came from a large family, of 7 or 8 siblings.

Reply: Now this is an interesting query. Burgenland to Croatia to America as
opposed to Croatia to Burgenland to America. Both of these villages are in
the district of Oberpullendorf where there are still 4 Schedl families. There
are about two dozen in Oberloisdorf. You can find the telephone listing by
checking our URL list available from our homepage. I'm also copying our
Burgenland editor Albert Schuch who will be getting in touch with you. He can
arrange for a free listing in some Burgenland newspapers.

Yours has all of the earmarks of an interesting immigrant story. We'd
appreciate your considering a brief article for our newsletter after you get
a chance to see how we operate and what we offer.

Albert Schuch writes:
It was with great interest that I read your email as forwarded by Gerry
Berghold. Some time ago, I read a short article written by Egon Lendl
(published in 1932) entitled "Burgenländer unter den deutschen Kolonisten
Slavoniens". Therein he writes that in 1883 about 30 German speaking families
from Steinberg, Oberloisdorf, Unterloisdorf and Mannersdorf an der Rabnitz
(all these villages are in the Oberpullendorf district) moved to Uljanik in
the district of Daruvar, then a predominantly Serbian village. When he wrote
this article Uljanik had 850 inhabitants, 170 of whom spoke German. If you
want to contact relatives in Burgenland, I will be glad to forward the
information you have supplied (and anything you might wish to add) to the
"Bezirksblatt Oberpullendorf". This newspaper is sent to every household in
the district (including Oberloisdorf). The "Bezirksblatt" regularly prints
inquiries from BB members who are looking for relatives in the area. This
service is free of charge.

The Lendl article also mentions a village named Bokani (in the vicinity of
Podravcsa Slatina). In 1875 families from Oberdorf, Kitzladen, Pinkafeld,
Oberschützen, Grafenschachen, Wolfau, Alhau, Sinnersdorf (all in the Oberwart
district of Burgenland, south of Oberpullendorf district) settled there. In
1932 about 50 of the 100 families of Bokani spoke German. There are still
many Schedl families living in the area. If you happen to have a scanned
photo of your grandfather or his family, it would be good to include that
too. Best regards, Albert Schuch BB-Burgenland Editor

BURGENLAND MILITARY REGIMENT?
From: (Harold Steurer)

Harold writes:
I recently bought a military history book covering the 23 rd KuK Infantry
Regiment, between 1914 - 1916. The book has names, ranks and also dates of
deaths. There are hundreds of names and places mentioned. There are hundreds
of photographs of individuals in uniform. It also has a section of bravery
awards issued to these soldiers. Most pages have one side printed in German
and the other in Hungarian. What can we do with this wealth of information?
I've sent a page sample.

Reply: During WW I, most Burgenlanders served in either KuK
Infanterie-Regiment Nr 83 (Steinamanger-Szombathely) or Honved Huszar Regt.
Nr 18 (Odenburg-Sopron). I don't know where the 23rd was based.

Books like this are a treasure, but to utilize them for the group we must key
entry a list or scan and capture. Quite a job. Before considering this, I'd
like to know the headquarters of the 23rd. Perhaps the book can tell us?

Harold then replies: >It looks like the Regiment "Das Haus Regiment von
Zombor" was formed in 1672 and came from the Budapest area. I think Zombor is
south of Budapest.<

Ed. Note: Not so sure, Sombor is se of Mohacs, Zomboribokar is near
Nyiregyhaza, east of the Danube bend. Anyone know where this regiment was
based?

NEWSLETTER CONTINUES AS NO. 97A

This thread: