BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 97C dtd June 30, 2001
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:56:20 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 97C
(issued monthly by )
June 30, 2001
(all rights reserved)

CHECK THE BB INTERNET LINKS (URL) MASTER FILE CHANGES VIA HOMEPAGE HYPERLINKS
UPDATED BY INTERNET EDITOR ANNA KRESH

HOMEPAGE EDITOR HAP ANDERSON IS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO
HELP UPDATE THE HOMEPAGE MEMBERSHIP LIST (now at 732 members)-
IF YOU'D LIKE TO HELP-PLEASE CONTACT HIM AT:

***REMEMBER -THERE WILL BE NO NEWSLETTER JULY31***

This fourth section of the 4 section newsletter contains:

* South Bend, IN Addresses Continued (T-Z)
* New Member's Experience
* Learning German - Textbook Recommendation
* Ellis Island Record Questions
* US Census Quesstion
* Web Site Report
* Staff Listing

SOUTH BEND, IN ADDRESSES CONT. (T-Z)

*TEICHMANN, Stephan, aus Ebenfurth, Oesterreich, und Elizabeth HAFNER
aus Frauenkirchen, Oest. 2201 W. Indiana Ave.
*TOPPELL, Witwe Zezilia, geb. THEINER, aus Holling, Ungarn. 1325 W.
Indiana Ave.
*WARTHA, Lorenz, aus Pamhagen. 1721 S. Scott St. Deutschland; R. R. 5
Box 92.
*WEINZETL, Karl, aus Pamhagen, und Katharine AUDERT, aus Pamhagen. 1427
W. Indiana Ave.
*WENSITS, Josef, aus Illmitz, und Maria NEMETH, aus Geresdorf. 311 W.
Ewning Ave.
*WENSITS, Johann, aus Illmitz, und Katharine REINER, aus Tadten.
*WEXLER, Agnes, geb. SEMLER, aus Güssing. 526 S. Frances St.
*WEXLER, Stefan, aus Neustift. 406 E. Irvington St.
*WIEGER, Josef sen., aus Frauenkirchen, und Magdalena KOLLINGER, aus
Neckenmark. 1635 Prairie Ave.
*WILFING, Witwe Elizabeth, geb. KOPPL, aus Odenburg, Ungarn. S. Scott
*WINKLER, Anton, aus Lungitz, Steiermark, Oesterr., and Adelheid SIMON,
aus Kom. Oedenburg, Ung. 1011 S. Lafayette St.
*WOLF, Johann, aus Worth, Steiermark, Oesterr. 1711 S. Scott St.
*WUKOVICH, Michael, aus Nikisch, Oesterreich, und Victoria SLAVISD, aus
Minnihof, Oesterreich. 1820 S. Kendall St.
*ZEBERL, Andreas, aus Deutsch Kreuz, und Theresia DRAGANITS, aus Deutsch
Kreuz. 1822 S. Taylor St.

NEW MEMBER'S EXPERIENCE

Dear BB Members, Recently I took the advice of our mentors and decided to
submit a letter to the Jennersdorf newspaper that is circulated through out
the Burgenland. I read in a recent news letter that little more than a dozen
of us have used this resource. I was scared and apprehensive. Maybe it was
the language barrier.

Albert Schuch was more then kind enough to edit, translate and submit the
letter for me. I wrote an article containing the names of my
great-grandparents, their parents, where and when they were born, what they
did, their village and house numbers, when they emigrated to the US and a
little about myself. I then sent this to Albert. His e-mail address is on the
home page of the BB website.

A few weeks later the response was more than I could have hoped for. I have
received letters from six people, two are relatives! Some of the letters are
in German, but I have found most of our cousins can speak English, and I have
found ways to translate. I have used the German translators on the internet,
but I must tell you they are not very good. I bought a German hand book and
it was only $3.00. Once again I asked for Albert's help. So there are
several ways to get around this barrier.

So far I have not received a lot of data on my family, but I am making
friends and meeting distant cousins. And isn't that what the BB is all about?
To bring our heritage back to life. I have living relatives in the Burgenland
that I was never aware of. I can't tell you how wonderful a feeling this is.
Not only is my family growing by leaps and bounds but clear across the
planet! I highly recommend placing a notice in the local Austrian papers! It
is a very easy thing to do and the results are just wonderful! Nothing to
lose and much to gain.

I would like just a moment to say thank you to Gerry Berghold , who started
all this, to Albert Schuch for his kindness, encouragement and willingness
to help, and last, but not least to Fritz Koingshofer for his patience and
time. And thank you to all the BB members for submitting their family
genealogy so all this is possible. Albert, I hope by writing this that you do
not get overwhelmed with submissions! [ smile]. Michelle Ernst BB Member

LEARNING GERMAN-TEXTBOOK RECOMMENDATION (From:Ingeborg Schuch)

ED. Note: In a recent article, I again emphasized that when dealing with
foreign family history, language is always a problem. It was a problem for
our immigrant ancestors who were required to know both German and Hungarian
as well as English after emigration. Some also had to know Croatian. So it is
with us also, if you wish to strike out on your own and dig into family
research, you must learn a little of these foreign languages. This does not
mean that you must become fluent. A nodding acquaintance with a foreign
language dictionary and some knowledge of diacritical marks, pronounciation
and the more common family history vocabulary will pay big dividends. Since
German is the language of Austria and encountered most often, I'd suggest you
start with German. Even a brief exposure to an introductory course will help.
Inge Schuch (sister of Burgenland editor Albert Schuch) resides in Vienna and
works as a professional interpreter. She translates articles for the
Burgenlandische Gemeinschaft newsletter and has graciously provided the BB
editors with language assistance on more than one occasion. (Please do not
contact her for translation assistance-she couldn't possibly respond to all
of our many members and we must reserve her assistance for BB publications.)
Inge sends the following:

Earlier, we corresponded about the hardships of learning German. Today I may
have some interesting news for BB members wishing to learn German. Jacqueline
Vansant, an American friend of mine who teaches German at Michigan
University, just told me that she would recommend "Fokus Deutsch," which
Amazon.com advertises as follows:

"Fokus Deutsch offers a powerful new resource for teaching beginning and
intermediate German. This dynamic new three-level program carefully
integrates videos, texts, audio and other supplements to bring German
language, history and culture into focus for students. Fokus Deutsch was
created through a collaboration of the Annenberg/CPB project, WGBH/Boston,
and the McGraw-Hill Companies - the trio who also created Destinos, Nuevos
Destinos, and Connect with English - along with Inter Nationes and the
Goethe-Institut. The result is an original and engaging program that immerses
students in the reality of German life, history, and culture. The
comprehensive package for Fokus Deutsch also includes such multimedia
supplements as a CD-ROM resource for instructors and a text specific website!
In short, Fokus Deutsch is a comprehensive, well-organized program that
integrates video, audio print and technology as effectively as it integrates
language, drama, culture, and history."

Fokus Deutsch (authors include Daniela Dosch Fritz, Stephen L. Newton, Lida
Daves-Schneider, Karl Schneider) is, in fact, currently being broadcast as a
telecourse by PBS (as a three-term college-level introductory German language
course) See http://www.pbs.org/als/guide/courselistings/courses/fokusdeutsch/

For your information, I have copied below Amazon.com extracts from the table
of contents of the three books, to give you some idea of how the course is
structured.

Focus Deutsch: Beginning German I
EINFUHRUNG-Introduction
Deutsch und Englisch: Schwestersprachen (sister languages)
Das Alphabet und die Aussprache
Kurz notiert: vowel sounds
Willkommen im Deutschkurs!
Im Klassenzimmer (in classroom)
Die Kardinalzahlen-numbers
Sprachspiegel: numbers as compound words
Die Wochentage-days of the week
Uhrzeit-telling time
Kurz notiert: using um to tell when something takes place
Eine deutsche Familie-We become acquainted with the Koslowski family
Kurz notiert: possession
Personal pronouns and verbs heien and sein: Naming, identifying, and
describing
Nouns: genders, and plurals: classifying and categorizing nouns
Kurz notiert: gender
Sind Sie wortschlau? personal pronouns and articles
Sprachspiegel: plurals
Die Farben- Sprachspiegel: colors (and more...)

ELLIS ISLAND QUESTIONS
A reader writes: I married a Riedlberger from Halbturn, Austria. In
researching the new Ellis Island data for that name, I find a "Tsiez
Riedlberger" from Feltovony, ar 1905, age 20. Can you tell me the American
equivalent of Tsiez, or suggest a method to find out? German I can get
through with a little help, but Hungarian "Ach du Lieber!"

George Tebolt writes:

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Hungary and visited with lots of
relatives. Most of our young relatives are speaking good English now so that
makes sightseeing more enjoyable. My middle daughter came with us for the
first time and I was able to show her our hometown Szucs in the Bakony Hills.
The main reason in writing you was the Ellis Island Web Page. I have noticed
quite a few spelling mistakes. Both family names and villages are spelt
wrong. Do you know if any of our members have run across the same problem?
Is there any way to correct the problems?

And again: I joined Ellis Island and made annotations on some of the errors.
When I checked my great uncle Anton Edl, he was not listed. How can this be I
thought, when my grandfather Mihaly Tibold and Anton Edl came on the same
ship together? When I checked the ship's manifest I found out they had
spelled his last name Egl. I got a picture of my grandmother's brother George
Edl from his son on my recent trip to Hungary. However nobody could tell when
he came here or when he returned. The picture was taken by a company located
at 50 Ave A, NYC. Since my father was born at 181 Ave A, they must have all
lived near by? Also with the help from Ellis Island I found out that George
Edl and family came here on 12, 1, 1901. I'm wondering If any of our members
had any relatives living in that area or know what the neighborhood was like
back then? George Tebolt

Reply: One of the many problems with the original Ellis Island records is
that they are a bear to read. Imagine some Irish immigration official trying
to write some of these eastern European names-they did some awesome work! The
people involved with data entry do the best they can under the circumstances
but unless you are of the same ethnic persuasion one can interpret
improperly. "Tsiez " is not an Hungarian name-it probably should be "Terez"
short for Theresia. Likewise Feltovony should be Feltorony, Hungarian for
Halbturn. I'm afraid the Ellis Island records are going to interject some
strange names in American genealogies. See our articles in previous
newletters. You'll notice the Ellis Island web site provides for
editing-they'd like readers to help correct the erroneous data. (Note: this
situation also applies to the origins mentioned in the 1910 & 1920 US Census.)

US CENSUS QUESTION

A new member writes: I believe or have a "hunch" that my family emigrated to
the United States from your area of Austria. In the OHIO 1920 US Census, my
Grandfather, David Oscar Haas identifies his Mother Tongue as Magyar (Megye?)
which sounds very similiar to the one word mentioned in the article about
this area of Austria. My (Jewish) grandfather, David Oscar Haas grew up in
the United States but was born in Austria...

Reply: Magyar means "Hungarian"- Megye is Hungarian for "county." The
Burgenland was formed from parts of the Hungarian Counties of Vas Megye,
Sopron Megye and Moson Megye. Haas means "rabbitt" or "hare" in German. It is
also spelled Hase. This is a common name in the region but like Smith in the
US, it pops up in many places. Most Jewish people did not take surnames until
rather late using their own naming conventions. There was a fair sized Jewish
element in the Burgenland regions pre WWII. You may wish to read the articles
re Jewish inhabitants in our archives. They tended to cluster around certain
areas (Eisenstadt had a fair sized ghetto). You might want to contact our
Hebraic editor. See the staff list.

WEB SITE REPORT (from Hap Anderson)

Hits on the BB Web Site
Total hits since 1997- 55657

Week 24 of 2001 - 408 ; Week 23 of 2001 - 247 ; Week 22 of 2001 - 182 ; Week
21 of 2001 - 473 , Week 20 of 2001 - 500

END OF NEWSLETTER

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF Coordinator & Editor Newsletter>
(Gerald J. Berghold; Winchester, VA )
Burgenland Editor> (Albert Schuch; Vienna &
Kleinpetersdorf, Austria)
Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson)
Internet/URL Editor> (Anna Tanczos Kresh; Butler,PA)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research> (Fritz Königshofer)
Burgenland Co-Editor> (Klaus Gerger, Austria)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland>, (Frank Teklits)
Home Page village lists> (Bill Rudy)
Home Page surname lists> (Tom Steichen)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)
WorldGenWeb -Austria, RootsWeb Liason-Burgenland > (Charles
Wardell, Austria)

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached via Home Page hyperlinks) or a simple search
facility (enter date or number of newsletter desired) at:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~autbur/bbnlarchx.htm

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE (WEB SITE)>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html

WEBSITE SHORTCUT: http://go.to/burgenland

WORLDGEN WEB BURGENLAND QUERY BOARD
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs/genbbs.cgi/Austria/Burgenland

Roots Web BB newsletter archives index and threaded search facility available
from http://www.rootsweb.com/~autwgw/bbnlarchx.htm

Burgenland Bunch Newsletter distributed courtesy of (c) 1999 RootsWeb.com,
Inc. P.O. Box 6798, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6798

Newsletter and List Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted; Provide
Credit and Mention Source.

This thread: