BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 98C dtd Aug. 31, 2001
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 08:31:17 EDT

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 98C
(now issued monthly by )
August 31, 2001
(all rights reserved)

CHECK THE BB INTERNET LINKS -(URL) MASTER FILE CHANGES -VIA HOMEPAGE
HYPERLINKS UPDATED BY INTERNET EDITOR ANNA KRESH

THANKS FOR THE KIND REMARKS CONCERNING MY BURGENLAND AWARD

This fourth section of the 4 section newsletter contains:

* Burgenland Military Data
* Two Northern Burgenland Data Sites
* Gerry Berghold's Speech Following Investiture
* Deaths On Ellis Island
* Just A Name?
* Mail From Firmus Opitz
* Mattersdorf Jewish Community Data Sources
* Staff Listing (use to contact editors)

BURGENLAND MILITARY DATA (suggested by (Harold Steurer)

Harold writes: I recently bought a military history book covering the
fighting of the 23rd KuK Infantry Regiment, !914 - 1916. The book has names,
ranks and also dates of deaths. There are many names and places mentioned. In
addition there are hundreds of photographs of individuals in uniform. It also
lists bravery awards issued to these soldiers. Most pages are split in half,
one side is printed in German, the other in Hungarian. What can we do with
this wealth of information? I am going to send you a sample of a page from
the book. Can you suggest how to get this information archived and made
available?

My answer: During WW I, most southern Burgenlanders served in either KuK
Infanterie-Regiment Nr 83 (Steinamanger-Szombathely) or Honved Huszar
Regiment Nr 18 (Odenburg-Sopron). This translates Imperial and Royal Infantry
Regiment 83 headquartered at Szombathely and Hungarian Light Cavalry
Regiment Number 18 -Sopron. I don't know where the 23rd was stationed or the
district providing its men. Our URL list has an A/H military site but haven't
checked. Units were formed and maintained from specific areas.

When we find books like this they are a treasure, but the only way we can
utilize them for the group is to key entry a list or scan and capture, like
we just did for the 1951 immigrant addresses; quite a job. Before considering
either of these options, I'd like to know where the headquarters of the 23rd
was located. I wouldn't consider such effort if it is not close to the
Burgenland. Perhaps the book can tell you?

There was a Neusiedl am See military district as well as those mentioned and
also a military school at Eisenstadt. The LDS microfilm has military district
records of births, marriages and deaths at specific cantonments.

Harold then writes: It looks like the Regiment "Das Haus Regiment von Zombor"
was formed in 1672 and came from the Budapest area. I think Zombor is south
of Budapest. Thanks for your help.

NORTHERN BURGENLAND DATA SITES (from (Gary L. Portsche)

Long time member Gary Portsche writes: I've got my two web sites pretty well
organized now. Would you be kind enough to put a blip in the next newsletter
about these sites (Gols area) and that I would be happy to include any
Burgenland family line if they submit the information to me in either English
or German.

I have two web sites dedicated to people from Burgenland:
http://www.portschefamily.com and http://www.burgenlandfamilies.com. Each of
these sites is designed to supplement Burgenland research, a note mentions
that the Burgenland Bunch site is the focal point for this research. On my
trip to Gols in 1998, I brought back 350 pages of church records and have
much of the information entered. My research time has been divided between
this and my wife's family. We attended a national reunion of the descendants
of Richard Maxson, from whom she descends, in Rhode Island. I was appointed
genealogist/web coordinator for that group. We have another web site at
http://www.maxson2000.net.

GERRY BERGHOLD'S SPEECH FOLLOWING INVESTITURE (made in German)

Herr Governor, Doctor Dujmovits, Burgenländische Gemeinschaft Members,
Friends, You do me a great honor. My immigrant ancestors must be smiling. I
first learned of this fair land, Burgenland, in the lap of my grandmother.
She often spoke of her 'beautiful homeland'. It became a lifetime interest.
I brought my young family here in 1974. We had a wonderful visit but it was
only an introduction, I knew very little.

I came late to the search for my ancestors, but found much. They lived in
many villages in south Burgenland and I was able to trace their records to
the 17th century. In 1993, I came again to the Burgenland, this time with
much more knowledge. I learned of the Burgenländische Gemeinschaft and met
Dr. Dujmovits. His work sowed the seed of the Burgenland Bunch in my mind. I
saw how we could help each other.

We hope our partnership will create new interest among the descendants of the
Burgenland immigrants and provide them with a strong link to the "Heimat" of
their ancestors. We thus not only memorialize our immigrant ancestors, we
keep alive their spirit and strengthen the ties that bind our countries.

I wish to thank all who have contributed to our work and to this occasion,
especially to the Burgenland officials who have paid me this great honor, to
Dr. Dujmovits and the staff of the BG for their many courtesies, as well as
to the Staff of the BB who made all this possible. I especially wish to thank
our Burgenland Editors, Dr. Albert Schuch and Herr Klaus Gerger, who are the
Austrian arm of the BB. Without their help, both now and in the past, the BB
would be much less than it is.

I remember Jack Kennedy once saying, as he addressed a divided Berlin,"Ich
bin ein Berliner." I am no Jack Kennedy, but I believe I can say "Ich bin ein
Burgenländer". Thank you all.

DEATHS ON ELLIS ISLAND
Written by Editor: Myra Vanderpool Gormley, CG;
Previously published by RootsWeb.com, Inc., RootsWeb Review: RootsWeb's
Genealogy News, Vol. 4, No. 32, 8 August 2001. RootsWeb:
http://www.rootsweb.com/

QUESTION. I have learned that my grandmother had a younger half sister who
died at the hospital where they were detained when entering the United
States. Was there a hospital on Ellis Island? Do you know where I might begin
to look for this child?

ANSWER. When Ellis Island opened 1 January 1892, the $500,000 immigration
station consisted of about a dozen buildings, including a large two-story
main processing building, a separate group of four hospital buildings,
surgeon's quarters, record storage office, restaurant and kitchen building,
detention building, disinfection house, a boiler house, laundry and utility
plant -- all constructed of wood. In addition, the old brick and stone Fort
Gibson and Navy magazines were converted for detainees' dormitories and other
purposes. A fire on June 14, 1897 destroyed Ellis Island's wooden buildings.

A new immigration station opened 17 December 1900 at a cost of some $1.2
million. In 1902 its hospital building, auxiliary laundry and other
facilities opened. Most of the 3,500 or so who died at Ellis Island were
buried in the Calvary and Evergreen cemeteries in Brooklyn (New York).

Presumably these death records were filed with the New York City office of
vital records, so you should be able to obtain a copy of the death
certificate. Information and links to various online sources pertaining to
death records can be found in RootsWeb's Guide to Tracing Family Trees -
Vital Records: Death, Tombstones and Cemeteries.
http://rwguide.rootsweb.com/lesson4.htm

There is a link to all of the U.S. states' vital records office at:
http://rwguide.rootsweb.com/lesson1.htm

Additional information about Ellis Island is available in the
Shaking Your Family Tree archives:
http://rwguide.rootsweb.com/syft/immigration/

JUST A NAME?
Josef Medl () writes: I am trying to find the birthplace and
grave of my grandfather. He was born in the Burgenland.

Fritz Königshofer replies:
Your message is a challenge as you have nothing but a name. I can only say
that many Medl's lived in Poppendorf (Hungarian Patafalva) near
Heiligenkreuz. Many emigrants from Poppendorf settled in Allentown,
including one of my family's branches and also the forebears of Gerry
Berghold, founder of the Burgenland Bunch.

As a member of the BB, have you contacted the many researchers among the BB's
members who have Medl or Mädl in their ancestral lines? Has your grandfather
ever worked in the USA? Do you have his approximate birth date? In this
case, you could search the new Ellis Island database. You could also try to
search the records of Heiligenkreuz or the civil records of Eltendorf for the
birth of a suitable Josef, but you need an approximate birth date. How much
else do you know? Are there no living relatives who may know a bit or have
some of the old documents or photographs? Please send me all the information
you have and I'll be happy to try to advise you further.

MAIL FROM FIRMUS OPITZ

(ED. Note: I'd like to publish all of the comments we receive from members,
but space just doesn't permit it. This one represents what the BB is all
about and I just have to share it with you.)

Firmus () writes:

Hello fellow Burgenlander Berghold; Truly sincere congrats on your award.
What a fitting tribute. One cannot say enough about your bringing The
Burgenland to us here in USA.

I can really put myself in the picture with people who travel there. How
wonderful it is. A recent second cousin emailed me, not knowing for sure if
we were related or not (she is on a job assigment in Belgium). I gave her
some locations as to where our relatives were born etc. I told her if in
Tadten look at the baptistry in Cath. church as this is where my Grandfather
was baptized; she did and was overwhelmed. At any rate I give my thanks to
all who are part of the newsletter but really what is so astonishing is their
willingness to help fellow Burgenlanders. My heartfelt Danke Schon to all.
Only one question this time-what year did the emigrants first enter Ellis
Island? (ED.-see article "Deaths On Ellis Island" above.) Wiedersehen und
machts gut.

MATTERSDORF JEWISH COMMUNITY DATA SOURCES

New member Meir Deutsch, , Jerusalem, Israel, writes:

<< I would like to know more about Jewish Mattersdorf (Nagymarton in
Hungarian and Mattersburg today). I know that the first Jewish settlers came
in 1526 (after being expelled from Oedenburg). In 1671 they where expelled
from Mattersdorf, came back in 1678 and had to buy back their own homes. >>

Judaic Burgenland Editor > (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
responds:

The questions you ask, which are precise and detailed, can be answered in the
books I'm recommending below, especially in those by Gold, by Hodik, and in
the Encyclopedia Judaeica. (Probably you know that one of the main
neighborhoods in Jerusalem is called Mattersdorf/burg, since it was settled
originally by Mattersdorfers, many of whom live there today. These people
would be an invaluable source of further information.)

The bibliography I will list below is found in the National Library in
Jerusalem. In Austria, the books are in the University of Wien library and
other major libraries of Vienna.

1. Aus den Sieben Gemeinden: Ein Lesebuch Über Juden im Burgenland.
Herausgegeben von Johannes Reiss. Eisenstadt, Austria: Österreichisches
Jüdisches Museum, 1997. [A recent edited collection of personal writings
by inhabitants of the 'seven communities', c. 1870-1940.]

2. From the Encyclopedia Judaica: [These are overviews, as you would
expect in an encyclopedia.]
'Mattersdorf,' Encyclopaedia Judaica, Volume 11. Jerusalem: Keter
Publishing House, 1971, pp. 1130-31.
'Burgenland,' Encyclopaedia Judaica, Volume 4. Jerusalem: Keter Publishing
House, 1971, pp. 1511-1512.

3. Gold, Hugo [, ed]. Gedenkbuch der Untergegangenen Judengemeinden des
Burgenlandes. Tel Aviv: Olamenu, 1970. [Gold's book is the place to start.
Each of the major Burgenlaender Jewish communities is covered in 1-c. 15
pages, and each article is written by an expert of the local area.]

4. Hodik, Fritz P. Beiträge zur Geschichte der Mattersdorf Judengemeinde im
18. und in der ersten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunerts. Eisenstadt:
Burgenländischen Landesarchiv, 1975. [Hodik's book remains the best
monograph to cover the Mattersdorfer Jews, even though it ends in c. 1850.]

5. Sieber, Sandor was one of several who edited an 18-volume collection of
original documents for most of the Hungarian Jewish communities. The
documents are in Latin from c. 1500-1850, although some are in German
throughout that period and longer. Thereafter, most documents are in
Hungarian. Each document is introduced by a brief description in
Hungarian. The 18-volume collection is available at the National Library
in Budapest. I imagine it is also at the National Library in Jerusalem,
some of the Austrian national libraries, and the United States of America
Libary of Congress.

6. Wachstein, Bernhard, bearbeitet. Urkunden und Akten zur Geschichte Der
Juden in Eisenstadt und den Siebengemeinden. Wien: Wilhelm
BraumüllerUniversitäts-Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1926. 2 vol. [ An edited
collection of many of the original documents of the 'seven communities'
which included Mattersdorf, from about 1650 to 1830.]

I think these works will go far to answer your questions. If I can be of
further help, please let me know.

END OF NEWSLETTER

BURGENLAND BUNCH STAFF (USA unless designated otherwise)
Coordinator & Editor Newsletter> (Gerald J. Berghold )
Burgenland Editor> (Albert Schuch; Austria)
Home Page Editor> (Hap Anderson)
Internet/URL Editor> (Anna Tanczos Kresh)

Contributing Editors:
Austro/Hungarian Research> (Fritz Königshofer)
Burgenland Co-Editor> (Klaus Gerger, Austria)
Burgenland Lake Corner Research> (Dale Knebel)
Chicago Burgenland Enclave> (Tom Glatz)
Croatian Burgenland>, (Frank Teklits)
Home Page village lists> (Bill Rudy)
Home Page surname lists> (Tom Steichen)
Home Page membership list>(Hannes Graf; Austria)
Judaic Burgenland> (Maureen Tighe-Brown)
Western Hungary-Bakony Region> (Ernest Chrisbacher)
Western US BB Members-Research> (Bob Unger)
WorldGenWeb -Austria, RootsWeb Liason-Burgenland > (Charles
Wardell, Austria)

BB ARCHIVES>(can be reached via Home Page hyperlinks)

BURGENLAND HOME PAGE (WEB SITE)>
http://www.spacestar.com/users/hapander/burgen.html
http://go.to/burgenland

Burgenland Bunch Newsletter distributed courtesy of (c) 1999 RootsWeb.com,
Inc. P.O. Box 6798, Frazier Park, CA 93222-6798

Newsletter and List Rights Reserved. Permission to Copy Granted; Provide
Credit and Mention Source.

This thread: