BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L Archives

Subject: [BURGENLAND-NEWSLETTER-L] BB News No. 122A dtd October 31, 2003
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:38:05 EST

THE BURGENLAND BUNCH NEWS -No. 122A
(Issued monthly by )
Octoberber 31, 2003
(c) 2003 G. J. Berghold-all rights reserved)

BURGENLAND BUNCH INTERNET LINKS - ADDITIONS, REVISIONS 10/17/2003
HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE HOMEPAGE (from Internet/URL Editor Anna Tanczos Kresh)

This second section of our 4-section newsletter includes:
1. Mosonsentjanos (St. Johann) Origins-Dale Knebel
2. Origins Of Name Knaus
3. Burgenland Mantlik Search Leads To North-Eastern Hungary-Trip Report
4. New Additions To Burgenland Internet Links-Anna Kresh

1. MOSONSENTJANOS (ST. JOHANN) ORIGINS-from Dale Knebel

Dale writes: I was at the Stearns History Museum and was glancing through a
genealogy called "The Lang Family" by Viola Lang Campion. I came across an
interesting letter from a priest in St. Johann who had helped the author do
research. He speculates on the origin of the Burgenlanders (in this region) and
provides other interesting information.

A letter (last half of the 1960's) from Father Csoka follows (sic):
"Now something interesting about Mosonsentjanos (St. Johannes): This and the
surrounding villages (St. Peter, Mosonzolnok, Levil, Heggesbalom) were
inhabited by people speaking German. It is not certain when they settled there. One
of the Hapsburg kings brought them from the empire, probably from
Baden-Würtenburg. Unfortunately the records were devastated when the Turks went against
Vienna (1683), and the whole district was burned down and lost.

Once, before 1700, the inhabitants were Protestant (Evangelist-Lutheran) for
50-60 years, but when Queen Mary Therese kept the land for herself they became
Catholics again. Our registers start from 1701. In 1659 they were still
Evangelists. In 1780 the inhabitants became Catholics.

One-fourth part in St. Janos were the big landowners (100 acres). The
greatest part of the people were small farmers (10 acres). Later it became smaller
when the land had to be divided among the children who became farmhands or
servants.

Because of the hard-life conditions in 1880-83 and later 1900-10, the great
emigrations started to the USA. They were not Austrians. The Hapsburg Empire
consisted of Austria and Hungary. We had our king in common-king in Hungary,
emperor in Austria, the same person.

The inhabitants here had their German mother tongue, but of Hungarian
nationality. For instance, in Detroit there are at least 100,000 Hungarians speaking
their mother tongue, but having American nationality.

After the 2nd World War many Hungarians settled in Germany. In Stuttgart,
more than 1000 people from St. Janos are living. Father Csöka.

2. ORIGINS OF NAME KNAUS