BURNETT-US-L Archives

Archiver > BURNETT-US > 2001-09 > 1001649562

From: "June Bork" <>
Subject: [BURNETT-US] Boling Clark Burnett, son of Taliaferro
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:59:22 -0700

1B1253) TALIAFERRO BURNETT, son of Richard Burnett Sr.

Taliaferro Burnett was born about 1767 in either Essex or Dinwiddie County,
Virginia and died June/July 1822 in Williamson County, Tennessee, the date
his Will was probated.
He married Mary Baugh, born about 1760-5 in Virginia and died 29 March 1856
also in Williamson County. Her name was found spelled several ways: Baughan
and Bougham, etc. She was the daughter of Daniel Baugh and a Miss. Clark,
daughter of Bolling Clark who died testate 1809 in Dinwiddie County,
Virginia. In 1850, Mary was living with her widowed daughter in law, Mary
Beasley Burnett, widow of Col. Joseph B. Burnett.
Taliaferro was named after the Taliaferro family of Essex County. He named
his son Joseph, perhaps a namesake of his grandfather Joseph Burnett, and
Richard after his father, which was expected in those days. By 1820,
Taliaferro and his son was living in Williamson County, Tennessee:

1820 Williamson Co, Tn Census -
Toliver Burnett 45+ (b. bef. 1775) Taliaferro
fem 45+

1820 Williamson Co, Tn Census
Joseph Burnett 16-26 (b.1794-1804)
fem 16-26
fem 0-10 (b.1810-20)

1809 Jun 19 - Dinwiddie Co, Va - Copied from records of Monroe Co,
Mississippi in a Suit to divide property of Bolling Clark.
Last Will of Bolling Clark
Written: 19 Jun 1809
Probated: 19 Jun 1809 in Dinwiddie Co, Va
In the name of God, Amen, I, BOLLING CLARK of Dinwiddie and Parish of Bath,
being sick of body, but of sound mind..
I lend to my son in law, Peter Pride during his life - the following Negro
slaves: Isaac & Tom & at his decease, I give them to my granddaughter, Ann
Allen & her heirs forever.
To Granddaughter Ann Allen, Negroes: Peter, Anthony, little Peter, Milley &
Anica & all increase; also one walnut desk, a table, 1 bell - metal
skillet...
To Granddaughter MARY BURNETT, Negro Slaves: ANN, LYDA, SALL, JOSHUA &
JENNY with all increase. I then give to aforesaid Negroes lent unto my
gr-dau, MARY BURNETT & their future increase to the heirs of her body &
their heirs forever.
To Granddaughter, Elizabeth North, Negroes: Jumper, Daniel, Lewis,
Rachel & Nancy...
To Great grandson, Bolling C. North, one Negro slave: Elizabeth...
To Great grandson, BOLLING C. BURNETT, one Negro slave Lucy with all
increase...
To son in law, Peter Pride, the land whereon I now live of 204 acres after
paying my granddaughters Elizabeth North, MARY BURNETT & Ann Allen $20 each.
After the division of my Negroes amongst the legatees, all the corn that is
on my plantation be equally divided between my grandsons in law, Abram
Worth, TOLIVER [Taliaferro] BURNETT & Richard Allen.
I desire all the meat remaining on my plantation at the division may be
equally divided between all my Negroes by my Executors. I do for the
faithful service of my MAN KITT, give to him all the money arising from the
sale of my horse called Buck, saddle & bridle, also my GREAT COAT to do &
dispose of what I give him as he may think proper. The said KITT should
have the privilege of choosing his master..
I give to Jesse Clark, son of my brother John Clark, Late of Mecklenburg
County [Virginia] 6 pounds specie to him & his heirs..
All the residue of my estate not hereunto given, I wish to be equally
divided between my grandsons, James & John Baugh & my granddaughter, SUSANNA
BEASLEY & Nancy Hogh..
I appoint my friends, Abram North & Peter Pride as Executors..
/s/ BOLLING CLARK..
Wit: Herbert Reese, Amy R. Featherson, Bartley Wicks, Alexander (x) Atkins,
Jordan Reese, Spencer Howell
.
1861 Jan Term - Monroe Co. MS - Probate Court
Petition of Emily J. Atkinson & her husband William Atkinson: BOLLING CLARK
died testate in Dinwiddie County, Virginia in 1809. He willed certain
slaves to his granddaughter MARY BURNETT. Said Mary Burnett died 29 March
1856. She left the following Slaves, being the bequest and their increase:
JIM, ANTHONY, URSEY, MARY, HENNY, PUSS, MATT, INDIANA, DAVY, BEN, IKE,
GEORGE, CORA & ELIZABETH. Administration was granted in this county on 3
March 1857 to BOLING C. BURNETT. The slaves were sold on 9 May 1857 for
$9,815 and sale reported to June Term, 1857. Petitioners claim Slaves were
sold for less than their value & they had no notice of the Sale. Mary
Burnett had 3 children:
(1)BOLING C. BURNETT who is still living.
(2)RICHARD BURNETT, deceased leaving 2 ch: Mrs. Matilda, wife of Edward
Manahan, residents of Aberdeen, Monroe Co, Mississippi.
(3)JOSEPH BURNETT, deceased, leaving 5 children: W.W. BURNETT & JOHN J.
BURNETT (a minor), both of Williamson Co, Tennessee; JAMES T. BURNETT of
Dallas Co, Alabama; ELIZABETH A., wife of RICHARD F. DODSON & EMILY J.,
wife of
WILLIAM ATKINSON all of Monroe Co, Mississippi.
"Four years have elapsed since the sale and the estate has no debts. The
money could have been put out at 10%. Petitioners pray that they be paid
their 1/15th share of the estate with 10% interest per annum since May 9,
1857, the interest to be compounded annually. B.G. BURNETT, son of BOLING
C. BURNETT is considered to be a suitable person to supervise the division
of the estate" (Printed in SOUTHSIDE VIRGINIAN, Vol 7, 1989 by L.M. Hart).

The children of Taliaferro and Mary were:
1) Bolling Clark Burnett, b. 1797 in Dinwiddie Co, Va and d. 1 Apr 1862 in
Monroe Co, Ms (WB I-17:8); He was named for his great grandfather, Boling
Clark who died 1809 in Dinwiddie County. Undoubtedly, Boling Burnett and
his brothers knew their great grandfather Clark before leaving Virginia.
Boling married in Virginia to his first wife, Mary T. Hall, b. ca 1798 Va
and died 1841 in Monroe Co, dau of Judge David Hall. Boling married 2/ 11
Oct 1842 in Monroe Co, Ms to Ellen Conant/Covant. He pre-deceased Ellen and
she 8 months later in Monroe Co, Ms. Her last will was probated 1 Dec 1862
where she stated she wanted a marble stab placed over the grave of Boling C.
Burnett, his first wife and herself [Ellen's funds depleted before the stab
was purchased].
In Monroe County, Mississippi, Boling was a wealthy man with many slaves to
work his cotton plantation and was closely associated with his cousin,
Daniel Burnett in the famous Cotton Gin Port and construction of the Ferry.
Only six of his 13 children survived (Records of Mrs. Frances Kirkpatrick):
1) Frances Elizabeth Ann Burnett, b. 1818 in Williamson Co, TN; m. Andrew
Jackson Evans.
2) Taliaferro Baugh Burnett, b. 1820 Lawrence Co, AL; m. Sibrina Redus.
3) Napoleon Bonaparte Burnett, b. 1822 in Lawrence Co, AL; m. Jane Ragsdale.
4) Maria Louisa Burnett, b. 1824 in Lawrence Co, AL; m. William Varnum
Denison..
5) Bolling Green Burnett, b. 1827 in Lawrence Co, AL; m. Mrs. Mary (Neeley)
Noel.
6) Cynthia Burnett, b. 1834 Lawrence Co, AL; d. unmarried
7) Mississippi Burnett, b. 1836 Lawrence Co, AL; m. E. Hiram Watrous.

1850 Monroe Co, Ms - Western Division
p.85-#313:
Bowling C. Burnett 52 Va, planter $10,000, owned 35 Slaves
Ellen C. 31 Ky
Cintha 16 AL
Missippi 14 AL
Rufus Lonesh 38 Va, Mechanic
Thomas H. Sheppard 28 Miss
Wm. L. Dorue 30 SC, overseer

1860 Monroe Co, Ms
p.469-#297
Planter
B.C. Burnett 69 Va (d.1862)
E.C.48 Ky (d.1862)
[Cintha missing]
[Missippi missing]
Bowling Evans 19 Ms (Gr-son, sons of Frances who m. Andrew Evans}
E.C. Evans15 Ms (Gr-son)
N.B. Denison 8 AL (Gr-son; son of dau Maria who m. Wm. Varnum Denison)

2) RICHARD BURNETT, b. _; d. 1827 in Lawrence Co, AL; m. 14 Sep 1821 in
Williamson Co, Tn to Mary Ann Coleman, dau of Joshua Coleman who died before
Jan 1824 in Williamson Co; Mary Burnett was his heir. They were the parents
of 2 children named in the Suit of Boling Clark:
a) Matilda A. Burnett [b. co 1825 AL; m. Edward /Edmond Manahan, b. ca 1812
in Ireland, a mechanic; lived in Aberdeen, Monroe Co, MS in 1850,1861.
Matilda had son, Edmond Manahan, b. 1848 Monroe Co, Ms]
b) Eliza Jane Burnett [m. 1 Sep 1842 in Monroe Co, Ms to Napoleon Norman;
lived in Chickasaw Co, MS in 1861.

3) (Colonel) JOSEPH BOLING BURNETT, b. 17 Mar 1800 in Dinwiddie Co. Va: d.
28 Jul 1849 in Williamson Co, TN; m. Anna Beasley, b. 1802 in NC; Joseph
and his wife had about 16 children and buried 11 of them by the 25th of July
1848 when son Joseph Jr. died of typhoid fever. Only 5 were living in 1861
and named in Suit of Boling Clark:
a) James Taliaferro Burnett
b) Elizabeth A. Burnett married Richard F. Dodson]
c) Emily J. Burnett married William Atkinson
d) William Whiltshire Burnett [married 1/ Elizabeth Bowden; married 2/
Margaret J. Roundtree].
e) John J. Burnett.

4) Mary "Polly" Burnett [dau of Taliaferro Burnett, married 28 Nov 1816 in
Williamson Co, TN to Thomas Roberts..