BURNS-L Archives

Archiver > BURNS > 2000-02 > 0949523082

From: "M Vaughn" <>
Subject: RE: [BURNS] MORE BURNS FILES
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:24:42 -0800

There are also some BURNS in the Final Dawes Rolls listed as "Choctaws by Blood". I have not obtained the applications or cards but in the "Index to the Final Rolls of Citizens and Freedmen of the Five Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory", Page 13 of "Choctaws by Blood" are listed:
Name Roll Number
Burns, Joseph 7485
Burns, Mabel 7487
Burns, Alexander 7502
Burns, Jackson 7503
Burns, Lizzie 7504
Burns, Alice 7505
Burns, William 7506
Burns, Lester 7507
Burns, Jack 7594
Burns, Nancy 7595
Burns, William 8793
Burns, Jane 8794
Burns, Alphy 8795
Burns, Henry F. 8872
Burns, Jane 8873
Burns, George Dewey 8875
Burns, Robert Lee 14787
Burns, Lawrence B. 15431

So there are other tribes than Cherokee. The Choctaw came primarily from Mississippi and got as far north, I think, as Southwestern TN. Chicasaw were also prevalent in the TN and Southern KY area. The Cherokee were not the only ones to go through a "Trail of Tears" - all the civilized tribes had their own stories.

Mike