BUSBY-L Archives

Archiver > BUSBY > 2000-03 > 0953930877

From: "K.H." <>
Subject: Benjamin/Land Grant/Age
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:47:57 -0800 (PST)

Benjamin Buzbee in Orangeburgh, 1793 Land Grant

We recently had a discussion about age requirements
for young men to acquire land grants. Our particular
situation involved BENJAMIN BUZBEE's acquistion of
1,000 acres, in 1793, in the Orangeburgh, SC area.

We have been researching BENJAMIN BUZBEE, b. abt. 1774
and had some question about whether our Benjamin and
the Benjamin who acquired the land were the same
person. If we are talking about the same person, that
would mean that he acquired the grant when he was only
19 years old. I had some responses indicating that a
person had to be 21 to acquire land and I had others
who said you did not. So - which was it - I didn't
know for sure either.

I sent a few messages to a few people who are very
knowledgeable and experienced in genealogy, one being
a list owner himself. I always know that if they
don't know the answer, they can always find it.

I wanted to share this info as I found it very
informative. It also gives us our answer. There was
NO age requirement, and it is most likely that the
1793 grant mentioned above to Benjamin Buzbee and the
Benjamin Buzbee, b. abt. 1774 of Orangeburgh, is one
and the same. (Example C below also supports our
belief that Benjamin Buzbee was a surveyor)

We know that men could acquire a grant after two years
of service in the military, but here are some other
examples that were sent to me about different ways
that warrants and grants were obtained. Especially in
these situations, a person would not necessarily be
over the age of 21.

A. Military - was based on time in service and the
rank/rate of the veteran. The question would not
necessarily be based on his age

B. A nineteen year old could have purchased the
warrant, or part of it, and used it to obtain a grant.

C. Some people received them without being veterans.
Surveyors for instance received a military land grant
without ever spending a day in the military. So if
hired to survey, it wouldn't matter what your age was.

Some of the chain carriers were as young as 12 and
would have qualified for a land grant, once they
worked for two years. This would of course make the
receiver of the grant as young as 14 when it was
received.

D. The warrant would be issued to the veteran or to
his heirs.

E. The warrant could be sold. It could be divided
into small parts until the warrant was depleted.

F. The warrant could have been issued to the veteran,
with the veteran then dying, so the warrant goes to
the heir(s).

G. The warrant could go to a daughter. She could be
married, with the land grant ultimately ending up in
the surname name of her husband, the veteran's
son-in-law. (It is said that only a small minority of
land grants went to the veterans. I suspect that the
percentage could be increased a little because the
woman could lose her "maiden name" in the process. If
we do not see a name connection, we could overlook a
change of surname caused by marriage.)

H. There was a great business in buying land
warrants, claiming land, then selling the land to
others. Many a widow woman sold her late husband's
land warrant for next to nothing.

I. When the warrant was applied to a real claim,
there were three steps. Entry, survey, and the final
grant. Either the entry or the survey could both be
sold before the state issued perfect title (the
grant).

J. Once the grant was issued, the state was out of
the , the change of ownership would be recorded
in the county deed books or sometimes in the probate
records. Often though, the deeds did not get recorded.
Why pay fifty cents to a clerk?

K. We see that two or three generations of family
ownership of a tract without seeing deed book entries.
Tax lists come in handy here, but remember that people
who "rented" county land also got taxed. County owned
"school land" was rented out.

Along with the above statments, I also received some
examples of recorded grants going to individuals that
were under the age of 21.

Recorded in the Council Journal: Robert Berry, 18
years old, Richard Berry, 16 years old and James
Berry, 15 years old, as receiving 100 acres each in
1768, in Orangeburgh District.

So, I think we can reasonably conclude that age was
not a factor in acquiring land.

Kay