BUSBY-L Archives

Archiver > BUSBY > 2004-01 > 1074747576

From: Tracy Kirk <>
Subject: Re: [Busbee Busby] Craven County
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:59:36 -0500

It looks like Carteret, SC became Granville County, SC, then Granville became
part of Beaufort District, then Beaufort District split into four counties,
one of which was Granville County, then all four counties became part of
Beaufort County.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/3837/sc_countyhistories.html
"OLD GRANVILLE COUNTY (1683 - 1769)
Created: 1683, discontinued 1769
One of the original "counties" created by the Crown
for administrative purposes, Granville extended from
the Combahee River in the north to the Savannah
River in the south. See map above (1710) for modern
counties represented in this area. NOTE: All records
for this area were filed in Charleston.
The area known as Granville County became Beaufort
District in 1769. "

http://www.martygrant.com/gen/refs/sccounty.htm
Carteret*1685 Proprietary County. Name changed to Granville 1708.
Granville*1708 Name changed from Carteret. Abolished 1769.
Granville*1785 County of Beaufort District. Abolished 1798.