BUTLER-L Archives

Archiver > BUTLER > 1998-02 > 0888705961

From: "Luan Harper" <>
Subject: Fw: [SCROOTS-L] Butler, 102 Collections Found
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 17:46:01 -0500

I received this Butler collection information on the South Carolina mailing
list and thought some of the Butler researchers might find it helpful.

While I'm sending out a post, I may as well re-post who I'm looking for!
Are there any descendents of the following Butler's out there?:

Source: "A History of Marion County, South Carolina from its earliest
times to the present, 1901" by W. W. Sellers, Esq. of the Marion Bar.
Copyright Columbia, SC, The R. L. Bryan Company, 1902.

1st Generation:
Isham Butler (b/d unknown) - Early settler of Marion Co., SC - Letters of
administration of his will was asked for 25 Feb. 1803. I don't have a copy
of the will, but I would like to get one!)

2nd Generation:
Nathan Butler (born ca. 1770-75 - died aft. 1850) wife-Eliza Brown,
marriage date 9 Oct 1799, Robeson Co., NC

3rd. Generation:
4 known sons of Nathan Butler:
(a.) Dempsey - the eldest son, married his cousin Laney Butler
Dempsy was killed by a man whose last name was McCormick in 1859. Wondered
if this "McCormick" could have been brother-in-law, John McCormick?

(b.) Solomon married Mary "Polly" Braswell - no children

(c.) Samuel married Milly Braswell 22 Nov. 1830 in Robeson Co., NC

(d.) James - the youngest son, married the widow, Anna Jane Davis

5 known daughters:
(a.) Viney - the eldest daughter, married Benjamin Locke

(b.) Willie married John McCormick

(c.) Sallie married Philip Rouse

(d.) Ada married William Abbott

(e.) Geriah - the youngest daughter, never married.

My line is through Samuel Butler & Milly Braswell's daughter, Charlotte
Butler Graham. Milly Braswell was the daughter of Henry & Martha ?
Braswell.

Samuel Butler was born ca. 1801-02. Samuel & Milly married Nov. 22, 1830
in Robeson, NC. Since their youngest daughter was born in GA, I assume
they moved to GA sometime between 1839 and 1844-45. They were in the
Pulaski Co., GA census in 1860 & 1870. I don't find them after 1870, so I
assume they died sometime after that census was taken. They had the
following known children: (source - census records)

(a.) Charlotte Butler - born ca. 1831 in NC.
Married James Graham 26 Jan. 1851 in Pulaski Co., GA

(b.) Bright Butler (male) born Jan. 13, 1834 in NC; died Jan. 23, 1897. He
is buried in the Glenwood Cemetery in Wheeler Co., GA. He served in the
CSA. He married twice, 1st to Sarah (?) abt. 1855 and lived in Pulaski
Co., GA. Then 2nd he married Frances Hall in Montgomery Co., GA on Nov.
23, 1868.

(c.) Mary A. Butler born ca. 1836 in NC.

(c.) Zachariah Butler born ca. 1839 in NC.

(d.) Ada E. Butler born ca. 1844-45 in GA.

If ANY of these Butler's ring a bell with you, please contact me.

Luan Harper

----------
> From: Steve Coker <>
> Cc: MR FRITZ C GLADFELTER <>
> Subject: [SCROOTS-L] Butler, 102 Collections Found
> Date: Saturday, February 28, 1998 5:18 PM
>
> The following are just a few examples of various records in the South
Carolina
> Historical Society archives. You can search the SCHS online catalog to
find
> more abstracts like these.
>
> Found 102 collections about: Butler family
>
> ========================
>
> Butler, Andrew Pickens, 1796-1857.
> Sketch of the life of General William Butler, 1857-1893.
> 1 item.
>
> Request #: 43/471
>
> Andrew Pickens Butler, a South Carolina attorney and politician, was the
son of
> William Butler. Born in Virginia, William Butler later lived in South
Carolina
> and was an officer in the U.S. Continental Army, a plantation owner, and
> politician. William Butler was the son of Captain James Butler (ca.
1738-1781).

> Typewritten copy (1893) of a biography of William Butler dictated by A.P.
Butler
> in 1857. Biography mainly details the military service of William Butler
and his
> father and brother (James Butler, Sr. and James Butler, Jr.) during the
American
> Revolution but also concerns William Butler's political career and family
> relations. Typescript has annotations and corrections by Johnson Hagood
and
> includes a note (1893 July 3) from Hagood to Clarence Cunningham
concerning the
> biography.
>
> Formerly part of Miscellaneous Manuscripts Series I.
>
> Cite as: Butler, Andrew Pickens, 1796-1857. Sketch of the life of General
> William Butler, 1893. (43/471) South Carolina Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Butler family.
> Butler family papers, 1889-1910.
> 3 items.
>
> Request #: 43/248
>
> South Carolina family. William Butler (1831-1910) was a Confederate
officer, a
> colonel of the 1st South Carolina Regiment of Infantry (acting
artillery). His
> daughter Priscilla Ransome Butler ("Lill") married Charles Benjamin Stone
> (1872-1942).
>
> Papers consist of a letter (1889 July 9) from W.W. Ball in Laurens (S.C.)
> Mrs. Charles Stone in Greenville (S.C.) thanking her for a gift and
discussing
> the building of a house, a friend's intention of "going west," and other
> matters; a letter (1910 Dec. 18) to Mrs. Charles Stone from Vincent F.
Martin in
> Walhalla (S.C.) concerning her father Colonel William Butler and his
Confederate
> regiment (the 1st South Carolina Infantry Regiment, later designated 3rd
S.C.
> Artillery Regiment); and a pamphlet [1896?] entitled "Historical Sketch
of the
> First Regiment of South Carolina Artillery (Regulars)" by Capt. Charles
> Inglesby.
>
> Formerly in Miscellaneous Manuscripts Series I.
>
> Cite as: Butler family. Butler family papers, 1889-1910. (43/248) South
Carolina
> Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Neufville family.
> Neufville family papers, 1794-1837.
> 4 items.
>
> Request #: 43/778
>
> Papers consist of a conveyance, a legal document, and lists of family
births

> Fragment of a conveyance (n.d.) of land between George Chicken and James
Kinloch
> includes part of a plat. Legal document is the answer and claim of John
> Frederick Kohne and Eliza Neufville Kohne et al. to the bill of
interpleader of
> Dr. William Alston and Robert Nesbitt, administrators of the estate of
Margaret
> Butler, deceased. On the verso of the document there is a family chart
showing
> intermarriages and issue of members of the Neufville, Moore, Gupell (or
> Guppell), Fyfe, Kohne, Rowe, and Butler families.
>
> Papers include a record (1794-1837) of Neufville marriages and births;
and a
> family Bible record (1795-1813) of the births to one couple (Gray
family?).

> Cite as: Neufville family. Neufville family papers, 1794-1837.
>
> ========================
>
> Cunningham, James, fl. 1782.
> James Cunningham certificate, 1782 Dec. 23.
> 1 item.
>
> Request #: 43/597
>
> A British soldier or loyalist.
>
> Cunningham acknowledges that he is a prisoner of the state of South
Carolina and
> promises "not to do, or cause any thing to be done, prejudicial or
injurious to
> the said State, the United States, or their allies." Certificate is
witnessed at
> Charlestown (Charleston, S.C.) by Phil[ip] Prioleau.
>
> Formerly in Miscellaneous Manuscripts Series I.
>
> Cite as: Cunningham, James, fl. 1782. James Cunningham certificate, 1782
Dec.
> 23. (43/597) South Carolina Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Bell, Malcolm.
> Major Butler's legacy : five generations of a slaveholding family. by
Malcolm
> Bell.
> xxiv, 673 p.
>
> Request #: 929 Butler
>
> ========================
>
> Biographical and genealogical research on Matthew Calbraith Butler, Brig.
Gen.
> 1 folder.
>
> Request #: 30-4 Butler
>
> File folder contains miscellaneous biographical and genealogical research
notes.
> Includes a family photograph.
>
> Cite as: Biographical and genealogical research on Matthew Calbraith
Butler,
> Brig. Gen. (30-4 Butler) South Carolina Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Biographical and genealogical research on Susan Butler.
> 1 folder.
>
> Request #: 30-4 Butler
>
> File folder contains miscellaneous biographical and genealogical research
notes.
> Also includes information on Julia Butler.
>
> Cite as: Biographical and genealogical research on Susan Butler. (30-4
Butler)
> South Carolina Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Biographical and genealogical research on Thomas Butler.
> 1 folder.
>
> Request #: 30-4 Butler
>
> File folder contains miscellaneous biographical and genealogical research
notes.
> Also includes information on Shem Butler.
>
> Cite as: Biographical and genealogical research on Thomas Butler. (30-4
Butler)
> South Carolina Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Biographical and genealogical research on William Butler (1830-1910).
> 1 folder.
>
> Request #: 30-4 Butler
>
> File folder contains miscellaneous biographical and genealogical research
notes.

> Cite as: Biographical and genealogical research on William Butler
(1830-1910).
> (30-4 Butler) South Carolina Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Butler family history and genealogy research files.
> 1 folder.
>
> Request #: 30-4 Butler
>
> File folder containing miscellaneous family history and genealogical
research
> notes. Includes information on the following allied families: Deli,
Smith.

> File folder containing miscellaneous family history and genealogical
research
> notes from the Hutson collection. Includes information on the following
alloed
> families: Bonham, Smith.
>
> File folders containing miscellaneous family history and genealogical
research
> notes from the Fitzsimons and Webber collections. Includes family
photographs.

> Cite as: Butler family history and genealogy research files. (30-4
Butler) South
> Carolina Historical Society.
>
> ========================
>
> Young, Pauline, d. 1968.
> Genealogical research notes on the Butler family.
> Partial folder.
>
> Request #: 25/003/020
>
> Miscellaneous family history and genealogical research notes on the
Butler
> family.
>
> Cite as: Young, Pauline, d. 1968. Genealogical research notes on the
Butler
> [...]
> direct route. Or, change the software setups so that the allowable "time
out"
> setting is longer than the delays.
>
> ========================
>
> MR FRITZ C GLADFELTER wrote:
> >
> > Dear Steve,
> >
> > I read your posts with avid interest. Please keep them coming. It's
> > great of you to spend so much time to give directions for our
> > searches. I was born in SC but moved as a little girl to VA and since
> > marriage have
> > had to move repeatedly from coast to coast. Any help I can get on the
> > history of SC is a great help.
> >
> > My question is---from the Archives or Historical Society is there a
> > listing of men killed at the Cloud's Creek Massacre ? My James Butler
> > and James Butler, Jr. were 2 of them but I have never seen reference
> > to the others supposedly 17 in number. Also there was a monument
> > placed there but I know not where in Saluda-Edgefield. Time I believe
> > was 1780 or 1781. The story I read was my James Butler had just been
> > released from prison in Charleston when a group of Whigs met and the
> > Tories discovered them and slaughtered them all. The women found the
> > men and buried them. Cunningham led the raid. I saw this in the
> > Southern Christian Advocate, I think. Before I knew Butlers were my
> > line.
> >
> > Also I was told of a report by another individual of a court case
> > where one Matthew Love was given clemency and pardoned at the end of
> > the war and then killed by a group of men at the Laurens Courthouse.
> > The group of men included William Butler ( James Butler's #2 son) and
> > Zacachria Smith Brooks(Jame's son in law).
> >
> > Could you enlighten me on any point? I have tried twice now to go to
> > the sites you have posted and they must be busy as I have so far had
> > no luck in connecting. I will try at six Monday morning !!!
> >
> > Thank you again for all your time and patience. Terry Gladfelter.
>
> --
> + ------------------------------------------------------------------ +
> | Steven J. Coker |
> | Home: PO Box 359, Charleston, SC 29402 |
> | Work: PO Box 919, Charleston, SC 29402 |
> | Home: 803-571-4586 http://www.wp.com/Coker |
> | Work: 803-727-4330 http://www.geocities.com/Paris/2780 |
> | Work: 800-208-2054 http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/cokers |
> + ------------------------------------------------------------------ +

> --snip---
> NOTICE: Posting of  virus warnings, test messages, chain letters,
political
> announcements, current events, items for sale, personal messages, flames,
> etc. (in other words - spam) is NOT ALLOWED and will be grounds for
removal
> and exclusion from this mailing list.  Spam crashes our servers and we
have
> to take a stand.
> ---snip---
>

> Address your comments & suggestions to listowner:

This thread: