BlackSheep-L Archives

Archiver > BlackSheep > 2000-03 > 0954037449

From: <>
Subject: [BS-L] Polyandry
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:24:09 EST

writes:
<<
It was my understanding that Utah Territory made plural marriages illegal
as a condition for statehood. the dates of this event are not memtioned
nor whether or not this occured in Utah or possibly Nauvoo or another LDS
intense community? >>
In answer to your questions.
Harriet Chatterley b.22 Nov 1844 Eccleshall, Staffordshire, England m.
1)William Mountford in England (unknown date, no divorce, living @ time of
wifes second marriage ) m.2) Joseph Smith Larkin on Dec 5, 1868 Cedar City,
Iron Co., Utah
(sealed 1871 in Salt Lake City)
~Submitted and accepted for Black Sheephood ~ March 2000 ~

Thank you to those who responded. Because Harriet was a female I'm assured
it wouldn't be "kosher" or acceptable to have two husbands. I don't believe
divorce was acceptable in her religion either, even widows couldn't remarry
if I am not mistaken.

As for males I think the Black Sheep eligibility date in Utah should be any
polygamous marriages after 1890 when the President of the LDS Church made his
decree, just a suggestion . Some dry dull history below.
~ Paula Larkin IBSSG & Rootsweb Sponsor~
~~~~~~~~~
"The Mormons drew up their third constitution in 1862, and again asked
Congress for admission to the Union. Instead, Congress passed a law
forbidding polygamy....The federal courts did not actively enforce the 1862
polygamy law until the 1870's when they began to fine and imprison Mormons
for this practice..The people of Utah again sought statehood. Congress
refused each time on the same grounds and passed stricter laws .in 1882 and
1887. Prosecution..began in 1884 and 12,000 Mormons lost their citizenship
that year. During the following years hundreds of polygamists paid fines or
served jail sentences.....In 1890 the Mormon Church President ... ordered all
Mormons to give up polygamy." Statehood followed in 1896.
World Book - Utah
Don't ever be afraid of "skeletons in the closet" ... they tell the best
stories

This thread: