BlackSheep-L Archives

Archiver > BlackSheep > 2001-06 > 0991707062

From: "Sherri Hall" <>
Subject: Re: [BS-L] Blood types
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:11:02 -0400

You're right, Chris. This all goes back to that high school or college
biology and 8th grade science class, and Gregory Mendel's colored peas.
It's all a matter of probability, and the dominant/recessive genes.

The mother with the AB+ will pass on to her child/children either an "A" or
a "B", and in addition, the "D" (positive) or possibly the "d" (negative
expression) of the Rh antigen (depending on her genetic makeup). If either
(or both) of the parents pass on the "D" antigen, the child will be Rh
positive. The child would be Rh negative only if BOTH parents pass on the
"d" (negative expression) of the antigen.

All of the blood group antigens (and/or systems) have oddballs, and I won't
even try to go into what you will find there. Hopefully, I've shed even a
little light on the subject. Now, if you are lucky enough to know
ggrandmother's blood type, you can at least begin to understand how a lady
that is one blood type could have a baby of a different blood type.

Off my soapbox for the night!
Sherri (who can also add the initials MT(ASCP),SBB after my name)