BlackSheep-L Archives

Archiver > BlackSheep > 2002-07 > 1025568404

From: "J. Garland" <>
Subject: Re: [BS-L] homemade icecream
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 17:06:44 -0700

Ok, here's a tougher question. Has to do with freezing, at least.

I believe is was late in the 1800's or early in the 1900's when an inventor
went to Death Valley to test his newest invention, which was a portable
cooling contraption that was intended to be like a personal air conditioner
of some sort. He went to Death Valley in the middle of the 120F summer.
Unfortunately, he was successful beyond his expectations. He literally froze
himself to death there in the heat, with the contraption still strapped to
his back.

I'd like to know who the guy was and what he used to freeze himself. (An
early Darwin Award example.) I'm not a chemist by any stretch, so your
answers may lead to more questions <g>

Jan g.