BlackSheep-L Archives

Archiver > BlackSheep > 2002-07 > 1025570826

Subject: [BS-L] Re: BlackSheep-D Digest V02 #700
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:47:06 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/2002 8:10:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Now, as a congress person you were entrusted with the represention of the
> will of your voters. In view of that trust, and the oath that you take when
>
> you got into office, what would you do?

Now that question raises an interesting point in political science. If the
design intent were absolute "direct democracy", then, given the currently
available technology, you could simply take an electronic poll of the voters,
and let that decide the question.

On the other hand, when you read the discussions surrounding the founding of
this Constitutional Republic, it is manifest that a totally different view of
"representation" was envisioned than the one you have posited. In the first
place, the ones chosen to do the representing were considered to be more than
a cut above the average voter, better educated, better informed and, if you
please, "wiser." So they were to vote the interests of their community from
that position of relative enlightenment.

The political process, to be healthy, requires leaders who are willing to BE
leaders, rather than followers (including poll followers.) Were I the
legislator in the scenario you have posited, I hope I would have the guts to
vote my conscience and not run with the herd. (The Constitution doesn't say
that Members of Congress are obliged to vote "the will of the voters.")

With respect,

Herb Melendy, IBSSG

This thread: