Bristol_and_Somerset-L Archives

Archiver > Bristol_and_Somerset > 2002-12 > 1038973262

From: "Brian Jones" <>
Subject: Re: Hebron Methodist
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 03:41:02 -0000

Hi Eunice,

The following are extracts from the Bristol Evening Post website, which give
the latest state of play in respect of the Hebron Chapel, are the last two
articles on the graveyard. If you go to the Bristol Evening Post website at
http://www.epost.co.uk/index.jsp and do a general search for Hebron Chapel
you will see more articles on this place of worship.

The Chapel itself has now been turned into apartments and is renamed Hebron
Court. The builders have done a good job on cleaning up the outside of the
ex-chapel.

The Chapel is situated on Hebron Road, Bedminster and runs through to Sion
Road where the Hebron Chapel Sunday School was. The ex-School is now used
by various small firms as workshops etc.

Hope this helps?

FINAL RESTING PLACE UNKNOWN

11:00 - 19 November 2002

The final resting place of a selfstyled Princess could be at the heart of a
peaceful community garden and nature reserve just off a busy thoroughfare in
the Bedminster area of Bristol, writes TIM STANLEY.

That is the vision of Bristol estate agent Peter Beddoe who was saddened by
the neglected state of the graveyard where Princess Caraboo was buried.

These days it's alongside Hebron Court, the development of seven townhouses
on the former Hebron Road Wesleyan chapel site off North Street.

Now agents Morgan Beddoe have been asked to sell the half-acre graveyard and
Peter hopes that a local community group may be able to raise the £10,000
which it is expected to fetch when it goes under the hammer later this
month.

While many of the long-forgotten tombstones stand shrouded in ivy, others
bear witness to the Bristol families who lived in this corner of the city.

Names include Ackerman, Griffiths, Jenkins, Uppington and Spratt.

Well-preserved is the 12 ft high monument above the family grave of James
Cottle, who died in 1923.

It features a young girl in the pose of Rodin's The Thinker and holding a
wreath.

The Dufty family's grave has an 8 ft high monument topped by a fine example
of a draped Victorian urn.

But what intrigues Mr Beddoe is the location of the grave of Princess
Cariboo, the subject of a film and a television documentary a few years ago.

When she died she was buried in the graveyard of the Hebron Chapel, but the
exact location of her grave is uncertain.

The release of the film aroused new interest in her, and the graveyard where
she was buried was finally identified.

But attempts to have a memorial to her or have her included on the Bristol
tourist trail fizzled out and her final resting place remains unknown.

When the graveyard sells at the Morgan Beddoe auction in Bristol Zoo's
Garden Room in College Road at 7.30 pm tomorrow , it is hoped that the new
owner will be able to shed new light on the mystery.

GRAVEYARD SELLS TO A MYSTERY BUYER

11:00 - 22 November 2002

A graveyard thought to include the last resting place of one of Bristol's
most notorious historical figures has been sold for more than £20,000 - to a
mystery buyer who bid for it "on a whim".

The half-acre graveyard on the former Hebron Road Wesleyan chapel site off
North Street, Bedminster, was expected to raise £10,000 at auction.

But it raised £20,500 - more than double the original guide price.

The cemetery is believed to contain the grave of Mary Baker, who conned
fashionable 19th Century society into believing she was Princess Caraboo, a
Javanese princess who had been seized by pirates before escaping and finding
herself in Bristol.

Born Mary Willcocks in Devon, the former domestic servant was eventually
exposed but moved to America where she became Princess Caraboo for a second
time. After returning to Bristol she died in Bedminster in 1864 and was
buried in an unmarked pauper's grave, whose exact location is uncertain but
is at the Hebron Road chapel site.

The cemetery has been left to go to ruin over many years but campaigners
fighting to save it say documents at the Public Records Office prove that
Mary Baker was buried there.

Her story was turned into a movie starring Phoebe Cates, Kevin Kline and Jim
Broadbent in 1994.

The graveyard's new owner has refused to reveal his identity but the agents
who organised the sale say they believe he bought the graveyard on a "whim".

Estate agent Morgan Beddoe, which organised the sale, said it could be some
time before any light was shed on the whereabouts of her grave.

Agent Peter Beddoe said: "The graveyard will take some time to clean up.We
think her grave could be hidden under the dense undergrowth."

A house with bricked-up windows and doors has also been sold to an unnamed
buyer for up to £300,000.

The house was due to be sold at auction at the same time as the Hebron Road
graveyard, with a guide price of £175,000.

But the 1950s-built mock Tudor family home in Shirehampton Road, Stoke
Bishop, was sold off privately before the sale took place for a sum which
the Evening Post has learned was between £250,000 and £300,000.

The buyer also wishes to remain anonymous. It is now understood that the new
owner could be planning to knock down the property and build an apartment
complex.

Best Wishes,
Brian in Bristol, England

Family History Webpage:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/j/o/n/Brian-Jones/

I am researching the following surnames:
JONES - BARNETT - MEAD - SPRINGETT - SPENCER - FOOTE - MCCARTHY
plus many supernumeraries, which can be found in my webpage.