Bristol_and_Somerset-L Archives

Archiver > Bristol_and_Somerset > 2006-05 > 1147026295

From: "Ruth Curtis" <>
Subject: RE: [B&S] Glass Making in Bristol ~ and ~ Tobacco Pipemakers Company ~ 1/2
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 03:54:55 +0930

Hi Listers

This is now my third attempt to send this message to the List, as neither of
my other attempts seems to have gotten through - maybe because they were
quite large, so I am sending this message in multiple parts.

My original message was sent on Friday, 05-05-2006 8:12 AM, with copies to
Lee Paltridge and Stan Mapstone. That never appeared in the archives.

Lee Paltridge replied to me, however, and asked that I re-send the message
as she thought it may be of interest on others on the List.

On Sunday, 07-05-2006 1:57 AM, I re-sent the message, with a covering note.
I had also done a bit of editing as Lee had noticed a typo in one of my
quotes - an error in the original that I had blindly copy/pasted. That
message also seems to have disappeared into the ether of cyberspace.

Hopefully this time it will make it to the List.

Regards

Ruth Curtis
Adelaide, South Australia

Hi Lee

I was a little intrigued by this also
http://www.glos.ac.uk/bgas/tbgas/v047/bg047211.pdf

So, I have been on a search - I obviously don't have enough to do today!!!

I could find no connection between the glass industry and the tobacco
industry, apart from "some early cigarettes had glass mouthpieces".

Here are some of my findings (together with some stuff about pipemakers):

These articles on the Bristol History website are really interesting,
although I'm sure that you will have already seen them, as the site is
mentioned here frequently.

BRISTOL AND THE TOBACCO TRADE
http://weldgen.tripod.com/tobacco-trade/

QUOTE: In other early types of cigarettes the cane or wooden mouthpiece
was pierced with holes; some had cardboard mouthpieces after the Russian
fashion; and there were even glass mouthpieces.

BRISTOL BLUE GLASS
http://weldgen.tripod.com/bristol-history-com/id60.html

I found some reference to the coat of arms of the Tobacco Pipemakers Company
and also to the motto used on it.

The motto "LET BROTHERLY LOVE CONTINUE" is a quotation from the Bible, Old
Testament, HEBREWS Chapter 13, Verse 1, which seems to be used in many
places, often in conjunction with the next verse also. The full text is:

HEBREWS - CHAPTER 13
[1] Let brotherly love continue.
[2] Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have
entertained angels unawares.
The Holy Bible, King James version
http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV1&byte=5277078

Verse 2 is slightly different in the English Standard Version

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have
entertained angels unawares.
http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?passage=Hebrews+13%3A1-2

You may be able to find out more about the Coat of Arms from this website,
as they have a link "Request Information on a Specific Coat of Arms" which
gives you the email address to write to.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~heraldry/page_main.html

TOBACCO-PIPE MAKERS, COMPANY OF [COMPANY OF TOBACCO-PIPE MAKERS]

NOTE: Located in London, England; incorporated 1663.

ARMS: Argent (silver), on a mount in base Vert (green), three plants of
tobacco growing and flowering all Proper (natural colour).

CREST: A demi Moor, in his dexter (right) hand a tobacco-pipe, in the
sinister (left) a roll of tobacco all Proper (natural colour).

SUPPORTERS: Two young Moors Proper (natural colour), wreathed about the
loins with tobacco-leaves Vert (green).

MOTTO: LET BROTHERLY LOVE CONTINUE.
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~heraldry/bga_titley_tolcarne.html

LET BROTHERLY LOVE CONTINUE: Company of Tobacco-pipe Makers of London *
[* = Not found in Fairbairn's "Crests of the families of Great Britain and
Ireland".] http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~heraldry/page_motto.html

If you want to know more about coats of arms, just Google for "heraldry"

The "COMPANY OF TOBACCO-PIPE MAKERS" does not appear to be the same as the
"WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF TOBACCO PIPE MAKERS AND TOBACCO BLENDERS", which is
one of the Livery Companies of the City of London and whose motto is
"Producat Terra", Latin for "Out of the Earth".

The following links relate to the London Guild and not the Bristol Guild,
which would appear to be different.

Wikipedia: WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF TOBACCO PIPE MAKERS AND TOBACCO BLENDERS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worshipful_Company_of_Tobacco_Pipe_Makers_and_T
obacco_Blenders

TOBACCO PIPE MAKERS AND TOBACCO BLENDERS http://www.tobaccolivery.org/

THE LIVERY COMPANIES DATABASE
This contains full details of the Guild, plus a picture of the Coat of Arms,
which is NOT the one shown in the PDF file and queried by Lee.
http://81.130.213.163:8002/cgi-bin/lcl.exe?a=d&k=FKTDSMGAF

Note: To download an Excel file of this database, containing entries for all
of the London Guilds, click on "Click here to download"

Trivia: The Tobacco Pipe-Makers' and Tobacco Blender's Company holds an
annual service at St Michael's Church, Cornhill, City of London.
http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/london_free_concerts.html

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by Norton AntiVirus 2005

This thread: