Bristol_and_Somerset-L Archives

Archiver > Bristol_and_Somerset > 2008-11 > 1226311015

From: "A. Day" <>
Subject: Re: [B&S] Mourning Clothes (was Undertakers and Reporters)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:57:22 +0000

The thing is when families get scattered a funeral takes on the function
of a family reunion .Whereas wartime shortages & coupons meant people
abandoned full mourning it now seems as if a lot of younger people do
wear black .Also here in a largely Indian area while the older ladies
tend to white as the funeral colour -especially scarves -the young are
divided between western black & eastern white ,& men undecided whether
to cover their heads or not
Ann

Josephine Jeremiah wrote:
> Jean WOOD <>
>

>> Yes indeed. Certain people did continue to follow the conventions, but
>> following WW1 the rigid observance of mourning faded away by comparison
>> with the Victorian and Edwardian ubiquity of it.
>>

>> Since the 1960s, increasingly people "celebrate the life" wearing bright
>> colours at some funerals and few people continue to wear dark colours
>> other than at the funeral itself.
>>

> Hi Jean and Listers,
>
> I must admit I was surprised when my mother-in-law wore mourning clothes
> for some time after the death of my father-in-law.
>
> I didn't start to attend funerals until quite recently as where I used to
> live in Wales females relatives didn't attend the church service and
> burial. They stayed in the house.
>

>> Customs do vary - between countries and indeed families
>>

> Yes, the Welsh wakes I have attended turned into something of a party. At
> the first one I went to, when the men came back from the funeral they sat
> down to a meal at the table and were served by the women.
>
> It was summer time so mourners stayed on into the evening. I remember one
> distant cousin saying that he hadn't enjoyed himself so much for a long
> time!
>
> Josephine

This thread: