CAGLE-L Archives

Archiver > CAGLE > 2001-12 > 1009759132

Subject: Re: 1850 Tn. Census
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:44:58 -0600

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Lee Cagle
Okla City
Notes for William C Cagle:
Died of complications from wounds incurred in the autumn of 1863 in
hospital at Meridian, MS. He enlisted 20 Sep 1862 for three years or
duration as a PVT in Company A, 62d Tennessee Mounted Infantry, in the
place of another man, R. C. Bates who hired William to take his place.
Such practice was common during the war. The destitute financial
situation of William; no assets listed in 1860 census; may have prompted
the action on William's part. William was reported AWOL in March and
April 1863
but probably returned home to plant a crop which was also, common during
the war. He then, returned to his unit in mid 1863; this too, was a
common practice. His widow was paid a pension by 1866. Source, John G.
Cagle, Historian Cagles of the South.
1850 Census of Sevier Co., TN
449A 7 CAGLE WILLIAM 48 N. C. pg446a.txt
449A 8 CAGLE POLLY 40 TENN pg446a.txt
449A 9 CAGLE ANDREW 19 TENN pg446a.txt
449A 10 CAGLE HENRY 17 TENN pg446a.txt
449A 11 CAGLE ELVIRA 9 TENN pg446a.txt
449A 12 CAGLE RUFUS 8 TEN pg446a.txt
449A 13 CAGLE SARAH 6 TEN pg446a.txt

More About William C Cagle:
Census 2: 1860, Bradley Co., TN w/Polly & 4 children.
Notes for Mary Polly Rogers:
At the time of Mary's death, her daughter, Elvira Moore and grandchildren
were living with her in Blount County, TN. Died after 1880. Last noted in
1880 Census for Blount County, TN- Louisville Village, district 6 #27.
Listed as head of household at age 89, widow, born TN, parents both NC.
More About Mary Polly Rogers:
Census 2: 1880, Blount Co., TN w/dau & grandchildren.
More About William Cagle and Mary Rogers:
Marriage: 30 December 1831, Blount Co., TN
Children of William Cagle and Mary Rogers are:
2 i. Andrew Jasper6 Cagle, born September 1833 in Sevier Co., TN; died in
Texas. He married (1) Elizabeth Unknown Aft. 1850 in Sevier Co., TN; born
1833 in Tennessee; died in Tennessee. He married (2) Sara M Evans Bef.
1880 in Bradley Co., TN; died in Texas.
Notes for Andrew Jasper Cagle:
Andrew was married to Sarah M Evans by the 1880 Census of Bradley County,
TN. They lived in Monroe County, TN and left in 1902 making the big trip
to Grayson County, TX.
More About Andrew Jasper Cagle:
Census 1: 1850, Sevier Co., TN w/parents at age 16 yrs.
Census 2: 1860, Bradley Co., TN w/Elizabeth & 6 children.
More About Andrew Cagle and Elizabeth Unknown:
Marriage: Aft. 1850, Sevier Co., TN
More About Andrew Cagle and Sara Evans:
Marriage: Bef. 1880, Bradley Co., TN
3 ii. Henry Marion Cagle, born 16 August 1835 in Sevier County,
Tennessee; died 23 May 1874 in Monroe Co., TN. He married Jane Elizabeth
Lloyd on 19 June 1856 in Monroe Co., TN; born, 11 April 1839 in Sevier
County, Tennessee; died, 23 February 1890 in Rising Star, Eastland
County, Texas.
Notes for Henry Marion Cagle:
Henry was murdered by bushwhackers in Monroe County, Tennessee.
More About Henry Marion Cagle:
Census 1: 1850, Sevier Co., TN w/parents at age 14 yrs.
Census 2: 1860, Bradley Co., TN w/Jane & 2 children.
Notes for Jane Elizabeth Lloyd:
After Henry's murder in 1874 in Monroe Co., TN, Jane moved with her
family by wagon train to Texas
where she settled after 1880.
More About Jane Elizabeth Lloyd:
Burial: 25 February 1890, Sipes Spring Cem, Eastland County, Texas
More About Henry Cagle and Jane Lloyd:
Marriage: 19 June 1856, Monroe Co., TN
4 iii. Elvira Cagle, born 1841 in Sevier Co., TN; died Aft. 1910 in Knox
Co., TN. She married Henry Moore Abt. 1860.
Notes for Elvira Cagle:
Elvira and four of her children were living with their mother, Mary Polly
Cagle at the time of the 1880 Census for 10th Civil Dist, Blount Co., TN.
Polly was the Widow of William C Cagle, 1802-1863.
Elvira appears first in the 1850 census as a child of William and Polly,
listed at age 9. My grandfather, George was born 24 March 1866 in
Madisonville, Monroe Co., TN according to the family bible. In the 1880
census (above) she is living with her mother, Polly along with her four
children. She is listed as a widow with children: Ben, age 19; Arnold,
age 16; George, age 10 (according to the Family Bible, he should have
been shown as age 14); and Eliza, age 7.
She is enumerated again in the 1900 census living with her daughter Eliza
and her husband Jonathon Thomas.
More About Elvira Cagle:
Census 1: 1850, Sevier Co., TN w/parents at age 9 yrs.
Census 2: 1860, Bradley Co., TN w/parents at age 21 yrs.
Census 3: 1880, Blount Co., TN w/widowed mother.
Notes for Henry Moore:
Monroe Co., TN. records 1820-1870, vol. 2: S.H. Moore vs. Elvira Moore;
petition for divorce. Plaintiff not appearing. Court dismisses case.
Sept. 1867. Court held @ Masonic Hall.
Three of Henry's children reverted their last names to their mother's
maiden name of CAGLE. These children are Ben, Arnold and Eliza. George
continued with his own surname of MOORE.
More About Henry Moore and Elvira Cagle:
Marriage: Abt. 1860
5 iv. Rufus Cagle, born 1842 in Sevier County, Tennessee; died 07 May
1865 in Hospital, Nashville, Tennessee (Civil War).
Notes for Rufus Cagle:
Ruphus enlisted for three years in Knoxville, TN on 8 Dec 1863 as a PVT
in Co G, 10th Tennessee Cav., CSA at age 21. Died 7 May 1865 in a
Hospital in Nashville, TN of Valvular heart disease (Small Pox).
Rufus lived in Charleston, Bradley County, TN at the time of his
enlistment into the CSA.
More About Rufus Cagle:
Census 1: 1850, Sevier Co., TN w/parents at age 8 yrs.
Census 2: 1860, Bradley Co., TN w/parents at age 18 yrs.
6 v. Sarah Cagle, born 1844 in Sevier County, Tennessee.
More About Sarah Cagle:
Census: 1850, Sevier Co., TN w/parents at age 6 yrs.
7 vi. John Cagle, born 1849 in Sevier Co., TN.
More About John Cagle:
Census: 1860, Bradley Co., TN w/parents at age 1 yr.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

This thread: