CALDWELL-L Archives

Archiver > CALDWELL > 2001-12 > 1007419434

From: "Donna & Gene" <>
Subject: [CALDWELL-L] text of "My Caldwell, Richey, Wilson Ancestors", Part II
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:43:54 -0500

PART II - SOUTH CAROLINA ANCESTORS: CALDWELL, RICHEY, WILSON

CALDWELL

William Caldwell, the eldest son of John and Margaret Phillips Caldwell, was born in Ireland, and data added to my records recently show that his wife Rebecca Parks (Parque) was also born there and that they were married in Ireland before the John Caldwell family emigrated to America in 1727.

Daughters of the American Revolution records on Rebecca Park Caldwell, submitted by Ann Calhoun McMath Roy in November 1974, indicate that Rebecca Parque (Park) was born in 1707 in County Antrim, Ireland, the daughter of a Huguenot refugee, Jacques Parque (James Park). At the age of sixteen, she was married to John Walkup -- a marriage arranged by her father and the groom, who was thirty-six years her senior. Four months after the wedding, Rebecca was left a penniless and childless widow. In 1724 she married William Caldwell in Ireland. William had been sent to school in Scotland at an early age and was considered an 'educated' man, intensely proud of his heritage, and possessing charm, as well as tremendous physical strength. Apparently he was the opposite of quiet, decorous, introspective Rebecca.

William and Rebecca Caldwell lived in Pennsylvania for some years after coming to America and several of their children were born there. Several other children were born in Virginia. If we can believe the data collected by some genealogists, Rebecca had an unusually long reproductive career, being born in 1707 and having a child born in 1760 when she was 53 years old. The other children were Margaret 1728; Martha 1730; Sarah 1735; Rebecca 1738; John 1740; William Thomas 1748; James 1755; Elizabeth 1757; and David 1759-60.

William Caldwell declared his last will and testament the 9th day of January, 1758, and ratified and confirmed it the 17th day of February, 1761. The will was probated the 7th day of April, 1761, and recorded in Will Book I, Page 329, Lunenberg County Circuit Court. He directed his executors to "take inventory of all personal estate, pay all just debts, make sale of all lands except that part of plantation where I now live lying on south side of Louse Creek including the mill and house on said southside of said creek and if my executors can pay all my just debts without selling all such lands then they are to title what remains to one or more of my sons as they shall think proper . . . If debts can be paid without selling a negro fellow named Sambo, I desire that said Sambo be left in the possession of my wife during her lifetime or widowhood and also that part of the plantation that is not to be sold with all the improvements thereon and all the personal estate . . . to rem!
ain in my wife's possession for the support of my children, until my son John Caldwell arrive at the age of twenty-one years that then if the said John will covenant and agree to and with this . . . to assist his mother if yet a widow to school and clothe and maintain the rest of my children and five them whatsoever my executors shall think proper. The said John is to have possession of the said plantation on the south side of Louse Creek together with the mill and stock and negro fellow named Sambo . . . and that nothing here may cause disputes I allow my wife and children to their maintenance during her widowhood and if she marry that then my children be schooled and maintained by my son John and to allow each of my daughters and sons a child's part of my personal estate except the negro Sambo . . . I order and empower my executors to bind out to good trades any one or more of my sons as they shall think proper . . . I constitute appoint and ordain my brothers David and Ro!
bert Caldwell and my wife Rebecah Caldwell to be my executors."

Family of William Caldwell b1704 in Ireland, m1724, d1761, and Rebecca Park Caldwell b1707 in Ireland, d1806 SC.

1. Margaret Caldwell, the oldest daughter and probably the oldest child of William and Rebecca Park Caldwell, was married in Virginia about 1749 to James Richey, the third son of Alexander and Jeanne Caldwell Richey. Jeanne was a sister of John Caldwell of Lunenburg County, VA. James and Margaret Richey remained in Virginia until after the Revolutionary War, about 1785. Margaret died in September 1802, four years prior to the death of her mother, Rebecca Caldwell, and is buried at Greenville Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Greenwood County, SC.

2. Martha Caldwell, the second daughter, became the second wife of Patrick Calhoun. The Calhouns came to SC about 1756 and settled in the Long Cane Creek area of the Ninety-six District. In 1764 Patrick Calhoun was a Captain of a Company of Rangers and escorted the Palatines to their settlement at Londonderry (SC). Patrick and Martha Caldwell Calhoun were the parents of John Caldwell Calhoun (1782-1850). He became a distinguished SC statesman, serving as Secretary of State under President Tyler, Secretary of War under President Monroe (1817-1825), and Vice-President with John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson. He also served as a member of Congress and was twice a United States Senator from South Carolina.

3. Sarah Caldwell married Dr. James Martin. No other information.

4. Eleanor Caldwell married John Moore or Moor. She was baptized a Presbyterian in infancy in Virginia by Rev. Patrick Henry, an uncle of Virginia's illustrious orator and statesman of the same name. In later years, Eleanor was a member of Little River Church near Belfast, Laurens County, SC.

5. Rebecca Caldwell married John East. No other information.

6. John Caldwell, oldest son of William and Rebecca Caldwell, was designated in William's will (1758) to be, at age 21, the helper of Rebecca and the provider for the minor children. As a result of this proviso, John and Rebecca, with her minor children, moved to South Carolina before 1769. He married Elizabeth Gilman of Mecklenburg County, NC. John Caldwell became a Captain and Major in the South Carolina Army. He was a member of the first Provincial Congress of SC which met in Charleston, January 11, 1775. He was killed in November 1781 by Bloody Bill Cunningham, a Tory, and his house was burned. No children.

7. William Caldwell was born in March 1748 in Pennsylvania, and the next year the family moved to Virginia. He migrated to SC about 1770. He married Elizabeth Williams, daughter of Major John Williams. He had a long and honorable Revolutionary War Service. He died in December 1814 and his wife died a short time afterward.

8. James Caldwell, born 8 July 1755, in VA, married Mary Elizabeth Forrest after the Revolution. James was a Revolutionary soldier and commanded a Company in the Battle of Cowpens where he was severely wounded. It was thought that he was mortally wounded, and he was left for dead on the battlefield, but his brother William went in search of him. Finding him alive, William carried him to the nearby camp where he nursed him back to health. James served one term in the House of Representatives and was Sheriff of Newberry County (1808-1812). He was a devout member of Little River Presbyterian Church until his death in 1813. He had ten children who survived him, six sons and four daughters.

9. Elizabeth Caldwell, the youngest daughter of William and Rebecca Park Caldwell, was born in Lunenburg County (now Charlotte County), Virginia on 15 October 1757, died 1853, married Robert Gillam (Gilham) at the close of the Revolutionary War. He was a son of a Revolutionary Officer and himself a gallant Revolutionary soldier.

10. David Caldwell, youngest child, born in Virginia bout 1759 or 60 was deaf from birth or early childhood and due to his handicap was not qualified for military service during the Revolutionary War. However, he seems to have been physically strong otherwise, married (wife's name unknown), eared a large family, and lived to be an old man. It occurs to me that David must have been a great source of help and comfort to his mother Rebecca during and after the traumatic days of the Revolutionary War in which her other sons John (who lost his life), William, and James served heroically.

Rebecca Caldwell's Will as recorded in Will Book "G", pages 102 and 103, Newberry County, Ninety-Six District, SC is abstracted as follows:

Bequests: To daughter Eleanor Moore, one cow and calf; To daughter Rebecka East, one yallow bay mare; one cow and calf; All household furniture except three beds and furniture to be equally divided between my four daughters, to wit: Marget Richey, Eleanor Moore, Rebecka East, and Elizabeth Gillam; To Granddaughters: Sarah Gillam, fifteen pounds sterling; Rebecka Graves, one bed and furniture; Rebecca Moore, one bed and furniture; Rebecka Caldwell, one bed and furniture; To son James, homeplace, sheep, and wagon. All slaves and remainder of property to be sold and equally divided between eight children: Marget Richey, Martha Calhoun, Elenor Moore, Rebecka East, William Caldwell, James Caldwell, Elizabeth Gillam, and David Caldwell.

Set hand and seal . . . 4th day October, one thousand seven hundred ninety-nine in 23rd year of the Independence of the United States of America. Witnesses: Robert Gillam, David Cureton, Elizabeth Gillam. Signed Rebecca (her Mark) Caldwell. Recorded in Will Book "g", pages 102 and 103, proved 2 Jun 1806. Recorded 2 May 1817, Box 27, Pkg 56 Est. No 622, Samuel Lindsey, Ordinary of Newberry District, SC.

Rebecca Parque Caldwell (1706-1806) lived just one year short of a full century. Her life story, filled in with details, would make a wonderful novel. The first twenty years of her life were spent in Ireland where she was born in 1707. At age sixteen Rebecca was married to John Walkup, who died four months later. In 1724 she married William Caldwell, and in 1727 they came with his family to America and for the next twenty years lived in Pennsylvania. In 1749 she and her family moved to Virginia. William Caldwell died in 1760(61) after which Rebecca moved her family to South Carolina where she died in 1806. The events and influences which touched her life in its entirety are the same ones recorded in the history books covering the 18th Century. That she was strong physically is self-evident in that she lived ninety-nine years under pioneer conditions, and that she was mentally keen is proved by her ability to write and sign her will at age ninety-two. She endured religious pe!
rsecution and economic hardship in Ireland and America, she knew the fear of Indian attacks and slave uprisings; she worshipped at the Cub Creek Church during the years of the Great Awakening and listened to the illustrious preacher's exhortations; she heard the patriotic speeches urging men to stand firm against the Indians during the French and Indian Wars; she knew about George Washington's brilliant leadership before, during, and after the Revolution; she arrived in South Carolina in time to witness the tragic fratricide known as the Civil War of 1775; she survived the Revolutionary War in which one of her sons lost his life, and another son was permanently injured. In addition to all these things of national and international importance, Rebecca Caldwell had a private life which was typical of hundreds of other pioneer women. She planted and worked the garden, milked the cows, churned the butter, and made the cheese. She fed the pigs and supervised the killing and curin!
g of the meat. She gathered and dried the herbs, pumpkins, squash, and apples. She plucked the geese and used the down in feather beds, comforters, and pillows. She washed and spun the wool, wove it into cloth, and sewed it into garments. She cooked the food, and washed and ironed the clothes. This listing is a mere sample of the 1001 duties that were hers in nurturing her ten children to maturity. She suffered the loss of several of her children to death in war or to disease. Yet, she had the faith, courage, and stamina which sustained her through it all. She was truly a remarkable woman.

This thread: