CALLAHAN-L Archives

Archiver > CALLAHAN > 1998-10 > 0907723742

From: "Ellis R. Brockman" <>
Subject: [CALLAHAN-L] Dennis Callaghan of Allegheny co., VA
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 18:29:02 -0700

>Dennis CALLAGHAN was the keeper of the famous stage stop, Callaghan's
Tavern, in Allegheny co., VA. This location is now known as Callaghan, VA.
He was born in Ireland about 1750; married Margaret ATKINSON at
Fredericksburg, VA on 22 Dec 1786 and he died about 1820 in Allegheny co.,
VA. The children of this family:
>1. Julia, married a Mr. YATES
>2. John "Jack," born 14 Nov 1787, married Maria Holliday PULLIAM
>3. Charles, born 15 Mar 1789, married Nancy Agnes PERSINGER
>4. Thomas, born 27 Sep 1790, married Elizabeth Jane CAMPBELL..they moved
to Boone co., MO.
>5. Dennis, Jr., born 14 Jul 1792, married Sarah E. JEWELL..they moved to
Boone co., MO and later to Benton co., AR.
>6. Sebastion "Beston," born 7 Mar 1794, married first, Cynthia STEPHENSON,
m2 Hannah Sharp/DORCHESTER, m3 Jane S. DANIELS. He also ended up in
Benton co., AR near his brother, Dennis.
>7. Eleanor, born 12 Nov 1795, married George SHIRKEY.
>8. William, born 4 Jul 1797, married Asenath THOMAS. They moved to Marion
co., MO. One of his ancestors wrote the book called "The Callaghan Mail."
>9. Oliver, born 17 Jun 1799, married Elvira W. WILEY. He was the first
Clerk of the Court in Allegheny co., VA and later he moved to Botetourt
co., VA where he published the Fincastle Democrat.
>10. Mary, born 5 May 1801, married Israel JONES.
>11. Jefferson, born 10 Jan 1803, died young.
>12. Julia (II), born 10 Jul 1804, married Isaac STEELE.
>13. Margaret, born 4 Jul 1806, died young.
>
>I will be most pleased to correspond with others who are interested in this
family.

>Ellis ()

This thread: